Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The future of Italian Rugby

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: The future of Italian Rugby

Postby victorsra » Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 13:22

L'Aquila bankrupt and out of Serie A https://www.onrugby.it/2018/08/08/laqui ... a-serie-a/

5 tiimes Italian champions, a former local powerhouse. Very sad.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 15:38

Damn that sucks. How much overhead do these clubs even have though? I'd imagine that it'd be sort of like the top D1 clubs here in the states.

Postby 4N » Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 15:47

victorsra wrote:L'Aquila bankrupt and out of Serie A https://www.onrugby.it/2018/08/08/laqui ... a-serie-a/

5 tiimes Italian champions, a former local powerhouse. Very sad.

Along with Catania one of the few (only?) rugby strongholds outside of the north of the country.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 17:13

I think it's not so a bad situation: the whole province of L'Aquila is still rugby passionate, as the last season's Zebre match over there showed. A part the club of L'Aquila there are two or three other clubs from the same province in serie A or serie B, and in women's serie A too; the local rugby humus is good, I mean. The problem -I think- is that the zone is relatively few populated and with few industries (it's a mountain zone) so L'Aquila club suffers a lack of strong sponsors, as well as (probably) a bad management in the last years. Now they're trying to fill the economical debts and they're forced to restart from the lower categories, but enthusiasm and players are still there, I'm pretty sure they will re-emerge.
Catania is a bit different; rugby is just one of many sports, over there in Sicily, while in L'Aquila rugby is part of the soul of the city .

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 18:05

Yes, Gran Sasso is another club from L'Aquila playing Serie A.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 12 Sep 2018, 12:03

The whole italian championship, enlarged to 12 clubs and renamed Top 12, will be live streamed also in this season.
Not by the former broadcaster theRugbyChannel.it but directly on the federation's website, facebook page, app

I think no one television was interested on live showing the Top 12, but unfortunately this was predictable

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 12 Sep 2018, 12:06

FIR should make its own free to air TV channel. Show the domestic games + games from other T1 and T2 leagues + T2 internationals + whatever T1 internationals aren't shown on other channels. Sure, it would probably lose money, but it would be a good way to promote the game there.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 10:22

I doubt it will work. There are a lot of free tv channels now, plus the pay-tv channels. An hypothetical rugby tv channel would have something like the button 247 on the remote and almost nobody would see it, a part the people already rugby passionate. I'm not an expert but I suppose that there's not a big difference in terms of spectators between a marginal tv channel and a youtube channel

Today's games, first round of Top 12. All live

https://www.federugby.it/index.php?opti ... 12&lang=it

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 10:36

TV is dying, we are in 2018. Internet is where the young viewers are. There is no reason to create a TV channel. If there is audience enough for TV, there are sports channels for that. Otherwise, the way is to invest on internet streaming.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 14:08

Streaming only gets you the existing fans, TV gets you the channel surfers also.

Postby 4N » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 14:43

iul wrote:Streaming only gets you the existing fans, TV gets you the channel surfers also.

Yep. Plus bigger advertisers.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 17:46

victorsra wrote:TV is dying, we are in 2018. Internet is where the young viewers are. There is no reason to create a TV channel. If there is audience enough for TV, there are sports channels for that. Otherwise, the way is to invest on internet streaming.

TV ain't dying man. Streaming is barely even a fetus when it comes to the cycle...and yet, terrestrial cable providers are building cheaper "streaming" services than their normal cable packages to compete with streaming companies like youtube, sling, playstation vue...and guess what, those are just cable companies without the infrastructure.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 18:47

Sorry but there is no sense for a Union to have a TV. If it is to reach a new audience you need indeed a general sports channel.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 19:24

The perfect way is a combined package. A FTA mainsteam TV channel broadcasting one live game, a highlights show and doing some promotion across their TV grid plus streaming for the rest of the games.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 20:44

victorsra wrote:Sorry but there is no sense for a Union to have a TV. If it is to reach a new audience you need indeed a general sports channel.

It does make sense if there's very little rugby on TV and you want to grow the game

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 20:53

It may make sense but it isn't cost-effective. With the cost of a whole FTA TV you can do lots of things to increase the spread.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 21:11

I think it depends by the channel features. Here in Italy a rugby channel wouldn't attract, I suppose, a significant number of newbies and neither an enough amount of already passionate spectators to attract sponsors. Just my supposition, as I wrote I'm not an expert and I have not solid data to base my suppositions.

On google I've found now this general italian tv audience/share report, about a day of this last june. Scrolling the pdf almost until the end you see that there's a sport channel like the one you suggest, dedicated to tennis: "SuperTennis". It attracts 37,000 spectators during the afternoon and 18,000 in prime time. Good numbers for rugby, but I suppose that a rugby channel would have definitively less spectators than a tennis channel. The fact itself that in the big italian tv panorama there's just that channel dedicated to a specific sport (apart football) suggests anyway that owning a channel it is not for a sport federation a way reputed efficacious

http://www.auditel.it/media/filer_publi ... o_2018.pdf

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 21:16

Isn't there a motorsport channel called Nuvolari?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 21:46

Armchair Fan wrote:Isn't there a motorsport channel called Nuvolari?

They had the pro12 rights three or four years ago. Was at that time the only chance to watch rugby on tv in Germany as Nuvolari was decrypted via satellite. I also remember them having those typical USA reality shows. No idea ig the went to become a full-on motorsport channel
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 23:08

It would be the contrary, when did they stop being a motorsport channel! Tazio Nuvolari is one of the greatests names in bike and car racing (contributed enormously to start the Scuderia Ferrari legend, beat the Germans in homeground in 1935 only to sign later on for Auto Union...) and they took his name to brand the channel. I see they started broadcasting other sports in 2014 and became Nuvola61...

OK, sorry for the OT. Mixing hobbies...

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 08:44

The Italian Pro14 teams are looking strong again this year, both with 2 wins from three games so far. Last season this didn't really translate to improved results for the Italian national side but you'd think it will all trickle through eventually.

I'm also glad to see the tournament organisers have finally started to organise games in a way that makes sense for travelling fans, e.g. Benetton have just completed a three-match tour of Wales. You'd think they'd have always done this sort of thing in a multi-national league, but surprisingly not.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 13:23

Do you know if Treviso actually did it as a tour or did they fly in and out?

Costs to NE Italy are not usually excessive and flight time v.short so I could see them doing it either way.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 16:55

Well Benetton played Cardiff at home in Italy so they've not actually done a three week tour at all. Cardiff on the other hand played both Italian teams on consecutive weekends in Italy.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 17:41

Haha, fair enough!

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Tue, 18 Sep 2018, 11:17

dwpeate wrote:Well Benetton played Cardiff at home in Italy so they've not actually done a three week tour at all. Cardiff on the other hand played both Italian teams on consecutive weekends in Italy.

:oops:

Well now I feel stupid.

It has improved a bit though - all the teams with two away games in South Africa stay around for a week; and the South Africans themselves get their games in home or away blocks.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum