Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The future of Italian Rugby

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: The future of Italian Rugby

Postby Canalina » Mon, 06 May 2019, 13:25

Peroni Top12 semifinals' first leg
Valorugby Reggio Emilia v Calvisano 17-25 (tries: 2-3; spectators 1000)
Petrarca Padova v Rovigo 10-10 (1-1; spectators 2500)

Barrage for the promotion in Top 12, first round
Accademia FIR v Noceto 29-26 (tries: 4-2)
The winner of this little tournament between Accademia FIR (a sort of Italy U20, but without some of the best players who decided to keep playing in a club), Noceto (little town near Parma) and Amatori Catania (from Sicily) will qualify for the semifinals, where there are already three teams waiting: Colorno (an other town in Parma province), Lyons Piacenza (a city between Parma and Milan) and Capitolina Roma. The winners of the semifinals will be promoted in Top 12

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 06 May 2019, 13:36

Accademia FIR is allowed to be promoted?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 06 May 2019, 14:35

Not completely sure but yes, I think they may be promoted.
Also because, if it wasn't so, they would have not been admitted to this barrage

PS: finally the Federation subscribed a deal with RAI, the national television, for these play-off, but the two first leg semifinals were transmitted saturday night at 00.25 and sunday night at 00.45 (on Rai Sport channel), so the fans are not very happy so far. Games are also shown live on line on the RAI website, but it's less comfortable than youtube, where the Federation showed live all the matches during the season.
Anyway, at least the title match (May 18) will be live on tv.
Last edited by Canalina on Mon, 06 May 2019, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 06 May 2019, 14:37

Ha, ha, ha. It wouldn't be the first league allowing to take part in promotion play-offs then rejecting promoted team.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby m.map » Mon, 06 May 2019, 15:11

Armchair Fan wrote:Accademia FIR is allowed to be promoted?

yes, it is

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Mon, 06 May 2019, 15:50

where do they play? Which city I mean
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby m.map » Mon, 06 May 2019, 16:12

rey200 wrote:where do they play? Which city I mean

Calvisano (Brescia province, 110 km east from Milan)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 10 May 2019, 16:18

Tomorrow, both at 16.30 CET

Second leg semifinal for the title: Calvisano v Valorugby Emilia
Live here (Rai Sport Web 1, or 2, or 3...; maybe geoblocked anyway) http://www.raisport.rai.it/dl/raiSport/ ... 82426.html

Barrage to avoid relegation: Verona v Lazio
Live here

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 14 May 2019, 12:48

This saturday's final's banner. Meanwhile Lazio (from Rome) defeated Verona in the play-off and it's safe; Verona and Valsugana relegated in second category after just one year in Top12

Postby Raven » Tue, 14 May 2019, 13:21

It´s got to be important for Italian Rugby to keep at least 2 Rome based teams (Fiamme Oro & Lazio) in the Top12, with all the rest spreaded mostly in the North of Italy.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 14 May 2019, 14:38

They could be three: the two promotion games from the second category are

Capitolina (Rome) v Colorno (Parma)
Lyons (Piacenza) v Accademia (Federation) or Noceto (Parma)

Anyway somehow I preferred that the one saving was Verona. It's an important city too (the one of Romeo and Juliet) and they invested in the club, inaugurating this season a new rugby citadel where also the national team already went to train. Lazio has a good junior sector but their senior team is always fighting in the bottom part of the championship and I think they are going to play the same role next season

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 15 May 2019, 12:00

How many top clubs are there in Parma ? It seems there are many for a "small" city.

Postby Raven » Wed, 15 May 2019, 12:07

Canalina wrote:They could be three: the two promotion games from the second category are

Capitolina (Rome) v Colorno (Parma)
Lyons (Piacenza) v Accademia (Federation) or Noceto (Parma)

Anyway somehow I preferred that the one saving was Verona. It's an important city too (the one of Romeo and Juliet) and they invested in the club, inaugurating this season a new rugby citadel where also the national team already went to train. Lazio has a good junior sector but their senior team is always fighting in the bottom part of the championship and I think they are going to play the same role next season

A 3rd one wouldn´t hurt ;)
A return of Roma Olimpic would also be good... but maybe a bit too much, is not that I want the capital city to have all the teams, but maybe it would bring some extra interest....

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 20 May 2019, 15:32

vino_93 wrote:How many top clubs are there in Parma ? It seems there are many for a "small" city.

I was a bit inaccurate, Colorno and Noceto are in Parma province and not in Parma city. Anyway, yes, it's certainly an unusual density of good clubs in the same province. Parma is also the base of the Zebre and in Parma city (200,000 inhabitants) there are also two formerly blazoned clubs that are trying to come back to the top categories.
Curiously, I live in a province neighbor to the Parma's one and I can say there's no particular enthusiasm for rugby here. I don't know how this rugby hotbed was born but I think that the local University played a role in it

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 20 May 2019, 15:41

The "usual" end-of-the-season historical resume of the participation in top italian championship, by region.
First column indicates the inhabitants of the region, in millions; the second column indicates the participations in the top championship (for example: this year there were six clubs from Veneto in Top12, so the datum passed from 311 to 317); in the third column the number of national titles (89 editions of the championship, from 1929; it stopped just in 1943/44 and 1944/45); in the last columns the other podiums (2nd and 3rd place)

And here a more detailed table
http://www.rugby.it/news/2019/05/20/his ... -numerini/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 20 May 2019, 18:09

And there are the scorers' rankings of Italian Peroni Top12

www.rugby.it/news/2019/05/20/peroni-top ... el-201819/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 20 May 2019, 18:44

m.map wrote:
victorsra wrote:Well, they are renewing Flaminio...

work started last october
today there are no news about it :?
what will happen tomorrow? who knows?
I'm skeptic, very much :? :? :?

Any news about Flaminio?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby m.map » Mon, 20 May 2019, 19:23

victorsra wrote:
m.map wrote:
victorsra wrote:Well, they are renewing Flaminio...

work started last october
today there are no news about it :?
what will happen tomorrow? who knows?
I'm skeptic, very much :? :? :?

Any news about Flaminio?

no work in progress, at all :cry:

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Mon, 20 May 2019, 20:52

Canalina wrote:The "usual" end-of-the-season historical resume of the participation in top italian championship, by region.
First column indicates the inhabitants of the region, in millions; the second column indicates the participations in the top championship (for example: this year there were six clubs from Veneto in Top12, so the datum passed from 311 to 317); in the third column the number of national titles (89 editions of the championship, from 1929; it stopped just in 1943/44 and 1944/45); in the last columns the other podiums (2nd and 3rd place)

And here a more detailed table
http://www.rugby.it/news/2019/05/20/his ... -numerini/

Interesting ! Thanks

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 21 May 2019, 09:27

Michele Andreotti (second row, 1993), one of the key players of Calvisano's triumph, quitted rugby. Yesterday, two days after having won the national title, he was behind the desk in his new job on a counseling studio. Just 25 or 26 years old, he revealed himself as one of the best forwards of the tournament; according to many commentators he had good chances to be picked, in a near future or already now, by Zebre and certainly he had also some hopes to conquer one day a place in the national team. But he renounced to this all for a normal working career. This is just to say how much few professional rugby is in Italy.
Same consideration for Alessio Zdrilich: former Italy U20, third row, he has the same age of Andreotti and he was as well a key player in the great end of the season of Calvisano. He too quitted rugby after saturday's win.
Together with them, also italo/argentinian Agustin Cavalieri put an end to his career; Calvisano's second/third row himself, he has anyway eleven years more than Andreotti and Zdrilich and he hopes to remain in rugby as a coach

Postby Raven » Tue, 21 May 2019, 14:31

Cavalieri had also quite a long carreer already, playing for the Pumitas, as well as being picked for Italy A and Italy at some point throughout his Italian stint.

The other 2 are quite surprising, but at the same time, they might have better job offers than what remaining in local Pro Rugby can provide to their future.

I know that some players make good, or enough money to call themselves 100% pro´s in the Super 10 and even some Serie A sides; but it does however show what has happened to the local scene of Italian Rugby since joining the Pro14. If you aren´t playing in either franchise, although the level of rugby you might be exposed to in the Super 10 isn´t bad (Calvisano could give Zebre a good run for their money) there´s an evident salary difference.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 22 May 2019, 04:16

Maybe also Andreotti and Zdrilich earned a decent or good salary as players, I don't know. Fact is that a rugby career is short, when you are 35 or so you have to say farewell to the fields; and if the daily trainings prevented you to cultivate a parallel career you have to restart from zero, and in this moment in Italy it's very difficult to find a good job if you are +30. So you need to gain a very good salary as a player to compensate the end of career difficulties, and I'm pretty sure no one in italian Top12 earns a "very good" salary.
In my town's club (they finished fourth in Top12 and won the national Cup, so one of the best clubs of the nation) I think all the players except the foreign ones have a job or are studying

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 26 May 2019, 08:12

If this afternoon you want to see some minor rugby, the second category (Serie A) first leg semifinal between Capitolina and Colorno will be live on youtube. The winner of the double duel will be promoted in Top12.
Capitolina is the third best club of Rome; or the second one, if we consider that Fiamme Oro are the police team and not a proper city club. Colorno, as we said, is from Parma province.
In the other semifinal Lyons Piacenza (same region of Colorno: Emilia-Romagna) largely defeated away (12-45) the federal Accademia, weakened by the absence of many players due to the incoming JRWC. So basically Lyons Piacenza are already promoted to the Peroni Top 12

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 08 Aug 2019, 18:40

All the italian championships will experiment in the incoming season the law so-called "50/22":

- if you kick in touch from your 22 area and the ball exits in the opponents' midfield after having bounced, you have the right to launch the ball from the touch
- if you kick in touch from your midfield and the ball exits in the opponents' 22 area after having bounced, you have the right to launch the ball from the touch

I hope my translation of the law is more or less understandable... Not a little change for the game, let's see how the game will evolve and if some coaches will protest for this decision

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Fri, 09 Aug 2019, 07:21

In top flight RL similar 40/20 happens about ONCE in FIVE ROUNDS

Ridiculous, that GEO trials this idea in U18 and U16 comps
How a kid could master such a virtuoso kick?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum