Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Portuguese Rugby

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Portuguese Rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 01 Jun 2018, 23:35

The thing is it wasn't only the players. People around the pitch did fight too, which I understand had an influence on why they punished clubs and not players:

Clubs claiming it's all part of their crooked relationship with FPR and players basically declaring strike only adds salt to injury. What a time to be a rugby fan from a European Tier 2 or 3 nation. I'd say it's time to focus on local clubs, but hey, my hometown club is also involved in an ineligible players row...

olivier

Postby olivier » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 17:45

amz wrote:I saw the incident. From my POV, suspend the players and allow the club to play the final. If not enough players give the win to the opponents or allow them to field U20s if it is safe.

But disqualify a team for a fight it is a bit much. a club shouldn't be liable entirely because of few idiots

This is not just a fight.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 18:24

But what is it?

olivier

Postby olivier » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 18:46

Watch YouTube and read reports.

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 14:11

Fall out from the relegation begins.

http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/rokoua-named-kings-squad/

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 14:23

This is crazy...Portugal destroy themselves. Destroy their national team and their championship. Ok suspend some players, some officials, their pitch for few games but don't take this apocalyptic decision.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 14:28

And now when they had the occasion to play two proper tests vs Romania and Germany.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 15:03

Was the promotion match meant to be against Romania? Why them and not Belgium if so?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 06 Jun 2018, 15:06

dwpeate wrote:Was the promotion match meant to be against Romania? Why them and not Belgium if so?

Because the panels failed to respect Regulation which says mitigating factors should be applied and by using the blanket 4 pts deduction put on the last place the team which used 1 player in the least number of matches compared with 2 by Spain and 5 players by Belgium. And also because Spain got away with Grammatico, they were simply blind and didn't see that 2015 breach although it was pointed in Romania's submissions.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby lado85 » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 08:53

when will the promotion match be played?

Postby Raven » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 14:38

I´ve only just seen the scenes of that Direito and Agronomia... Jesus, something is beginning to get quite contagious, the women and kids, parents carrying them away - pah.... makes me a bit sick.
I must say I agree with the heavy hand, despite what that might cause internally; things like these cannot be swept under the carpet.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 15:07

You can have a serious punishment without a double relegation!

Fine, ban from admitting spectators, points deduction in new season. Lots of options to use before you drop the atom bomb.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 15:18

sk 88 wrote:You can have a serious punishment without a double relegation!

Fine, ban from admitting spectators, points deduction in new season. Lots of options to use before you drop the atom bomb.

Exactly...you can't implode yourself! This is not a solution.

Postby Raven » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 10:15

Bogdan_DC wrote:

Ban spectators? point deduction in the next season? I´m sorry I don´t think that would set a real example. I know blood boils in Latin countries, but those images are not the ones we want to see in any field of our sport, just like the ones we saw in Brussels, but in Portugal It´s not only inside the field, but it went on with coaches and spectators; loads of people looking for a 1v1 fight, ironic clapping, exaggerated celebrations that incite violence on the opposition.
The so called "atom bomb" might look too harsh, but its an exemplary measure that will educate the whole community. Would hate to be in their position, but with a cold mind, I would understand it.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 11:14

suofficer wrote:Fall out from the relegation begins.

I don't know, wouldn't he have grabbed the chance to step up to the top level anyway?

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 11:20

Why not??? they have done it here in the UK for lesser reasons. I believe it is the right thing to do a double relegation

Postby Raven » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 11:51

Figaro wrote:
suofficer wrote:Fall out from the relegation begins.

I don't know, wouldn't he have grabbed the chance to step up to the top level anyway?

Yeah, I would imagine him wanting to play PRO14 or maybe even Currie Cup looking for a bigger exposure opportunity instead of still play for the Portuguese club...

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 16:54

Raven wrote:
Bogdan_DC wrote:

Ban spectators? point deduction in the next season? I´m sorry I don´t think that would set a real example. I know blood boils in Latin countries, but those images are not the ones we want to see in any field of our sport, just like the ones we saw in Brussels, but in Portugal It´s not only inside the field, but it went on with coaches and spectators; loads of people looking for a 1v1 fight, ironic clapping, exaggerated celebrations that incite violence on the opposition.
The so called "atom bomb" might look too harsh, but its an exemplary measure that will educate the whole community. Would hate to be in their position, but with a cold mind, I would understand it.

Right, so being kicked out of the play offs and banned from deciding the title, being fined, having your spectators banned from attendning and starting the season with say minus 20 points is not a punishment?

Okay Draco, hope you never err from the straight and narrow.

Thomas wrote:Why not??? they have done it here in the UK for lesser reasons. I believe it is the right thing to do a double relegation

When?

Postby Raven » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 13:22

sk 88 wrote:Right, so being kicked out of the play offs and banned from deciding the title, being fined, having your spectators banned from attendning and starting the season with say minus 20 points is not a punishment?

Okay Draco, hope you never err from the straight and narrow.

We can go on forever and the bottom line will always be that we don´t agree. I´m not trying to convince you to think like I do, but this is why I think your alternatives wouldn´t make an actual difference, Spoiler alert: This is a personal opinion.

- "Kick the teams out of the play offs and ban them from deciding the title": next time they meet the only objective will be to beat the hell out of each other to show that either one of them was the legitimate champion. It´s not only the "80 minutes" (did they even play for 80 minutes?) it´s the scenes throughout the field what cause distress and go against every value taught in this sport. I saw -on the youtube videos- families, women & kids who probably went there to support a relative or the club they joined after hearing wonders about the Rugby Spirit observing how grown men where fist fighting each other because of what? was it Rugby? something was seriously ill over there.

- "Monetary Fine"; so you pay an exemplary fine and you are off the hook? Never been a fan of that. They pay the Portuguese Rugby Federation (who may as well need some extra money on their arcs) and the money is hardly ever re-invested in grassroots.

- "Ban fans from attending games"; why? the whole club should unite in a situation like this, and get up together. Being sent down to a bottom league is not only due to what happened ON the pitch with the players....

- "Start the season with -20pts"; ultimately, the outcome would be almost the same, a or both teams going down a division.

Again, I am only basing myself with what I saw on footage, wasn´t there and don´t even know what sparked that forest fire. I think the measure taken by the FPR is harsh, but understandable. It sends out a clear message, and should help for this not to ever happen again.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 09:07

Spanish clubs are fishing in Portugal, Burgos just announced the hiring of Gavin van den Berg from Agronomia:
https://twitter.com/RugbyAparejos/statu ... 2073141249

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 09:19

He was brought over by Jose Rodrigues. Thank god we capped him.

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 09:38

So it looks like the entire board of the FPR has gone, resigned

From what I can see the Agronomia v Direito suspension and penalties have been nullified. So this potentially means this semi has to be replayed with a final yet to be played?

This will particularly hurt Agronomia who have already lost two overseas players one to Southern Kings and one to Spain.

So currently rudderless and heading quickly towards August ( a time in Portugal were even less than normal happens) the one positive is the U20s who soon head to Romania who are looking in good shape and with some genuine potential.

Portugal still have to play Romania for the play off, no date on that as far as I know

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Thu, 19 Jul 2018, 09:28

https://www.publico.pt/2018/07/18/desporto/entrevista/com-a-nossa-renuncia-pretendemos-evitar-mais-uma-guerra-1838299

Very interesting interview with the departing big cheese, you may need google translate

using my own translation, best quote for me is

"I fear that rugby might have fallen into the trap of finding a consensual solution in defense of two huge Portuguese clubs"

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 19 Jul 2018, 10:27

suofficer wrote:Portugal still have to play Romania for the play off, no date on that as far as I know

It's public here from 2 weeks already, 3 November.

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Thu, 19 Jul 2018, 11:07

apologies. thank you

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum