Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

RWC 2019 Qualifying

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: RWC 2019 Qualifying

Postby Tomster7uk » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 13:49

Im confused, this Georgia v Romania match....is it a qualifier or just the final to the REC?

The repechage is a round robin but they are only playing one match each......

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 14:23

Tomster7uk wrote:Im confused, this Georgia v Romania match....is it a qualifier or just the final to the REC?

Games against Georgia don't count since Lelos are directly qualified for 2019 RWC due to their third place in 2015 pool.

Therefore Belgium v Spain will decide who is Europe 1 and who goes down the repechage route.

Final repechage next November will involve four teams playing each other (three games each) probably over the week in a same venue.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 15:14

Armchair Fan wrote:
Tomster7uk wrote:Im confused, this Georgia v Romania match....is it a qualifier or just the final to the REC?

Games against Georgia don't count since Lelos are directly qualified for 2019 RWC due to their third place in 2015 pool.

Therefore Belgium v Spain will decide who is Europe 1 and who goes down the repechage route.

Final repechage next November will involve four teams playing each other (three games each) probably over the week in a same venue.

Actually Belgium Spain will decide who'll go to Play Off first with Portugal (Rugby Europe Trohy likely winners, this is 2nd tier of Rugby Europe) in April. Europe 2 to go this path will most likely be Romania unless Spain is chocking. RWC qualification have a different standing compared with Rugby Europe Championship since Georgia's results are not counted for any team because they're already qualified from 2015 when they won 2 matches in groups vs Tonga and Namibia.

Than the winner will have a Play off with Samoa in June 2018 in 2 legs, home and away. The winner goes to RWC in Group A with Spain :twisted:

The loser will play in a Repechage tournament with one leg round robin in France in November 2018 with Canada, Africa 2 (Zimbabwe, Kenya?) and winner between Asia and Oceania (Hong Kong? Tahiti? South Korea?)

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 15:38

Canalina wrote:Remaining qualifying matches should be these

This looks about correct. Good work friend...

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby Shockterm » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 16:37

Tomster7uk wrote:

Portugal has a timelimit up to 28 of april to play the game against romenia which coincides with internal competition. Yet another great move by worldrugby

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 13 Mar 2018, 16:40

Shockterm wrote:Portugal has a timelimit up to 28 of april to play the game against romenia which coincides with internal competition. Yet another great move by worldrugby

I am sure you don't have such a tight calendar not be able to postpone one round. We are making changes in Super Liga as well.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 03:38

I just don't get how WR can't fix up this qualifying system. Every 4 years they change the format. They should be able to settling on a format.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 04:22

amz, I agree. Portugal have known since they lost to Belguim last summer that they would probably be looking at a game v REC 2nd place in Spring. To me this points to Portugal rugby union admin failure more than WR failure.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 04:32

thatrugbyguy wrote:I just don't get how WR can't fix up this qualifying system. Every 4 years they change the format. They should be able to settling on a format.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I don't think this RWC qualifying has been too bad tbh and certainly a heck of a lot fairer in some areas than before e.g CONSUR A and Africa tournaments held in one week whereas both this time around are multi-week home or away championships. Also WR is easily blameable (and often the criticism of them is well placed) but remember compared to football, or even basketball, the strength and weakness of all the teams in say Europe is a lot bigger than those of those other sports. That makes a qualifying format a lot more drawn out than if most of the teams were roughly of similar standard. Maybe some areas, noticeably Asian and Oceania lower level qualifying, have been poor with many teams opting out of playing, but again I think that's more a reflection on the regional, and national unions (especially the Asia RFU) incompetence than WR. So I'm sorry, but I see your continual moaning about this RWC's qualifying as being a bit OTT to be frank. Certainly it's not perfect but it's been worse!

And the "final four" repechage is a welcome development in my opinion. I'm really looking forward to it.It should boost coverage of the RWC in the participating countries and event host country. I can remember when NZ hosted the Olympic hockey final repechage event a few years ago and that got quite a bit of attention in the NZ media and across the general public. Even piqued my interest and I'm not a field hockey fan at all!

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 05:00

victorsra wrote:AFAIK the Repechage will be on Hong Kong... It was said before but they are probably waiting Hong Kong to win the Asian qualy

Given South Korea is the neighbouring country of the hosts, it would be cool if it was in the ROK. I think HKG will be too good in Asian qualifying and also likely for Tahiti but a repechage tournament in South Korea would likely offer a rare chance for some increased coverage there for rugby which could be a boost for the Koreans for future RWCs and growth & development of the sport even if they didn't qualify (and rugby needs a boost there given the sorry state of affairs in the last 30 years in Korean rugby), and would also likely draw the attention of the Japanese media too to give it some substantial coverage in the host country.

I'd like to highlight that the major qualification games have been covered in the Japanese papers, including Uruguay's wins over Canada and Spain's win last week they sees them on the verge of qualifying. Not large, main stories, but 2-3 paragraph articles nonetheless. This is in contrast to 2011 where the NZ media regrettably showed its ignorance of the sport outside the main countries with very little coverage of the qualification rounds. Not sure how good/bad/average the English press was for 2015.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 05:21

YamahaKiwi wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:I just don't get how WR can't fix up this qualifying system. Every 4 years they change the format. They should be able to settling on a format.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I don't think this RWC qualifying has been too bad tbh and certainly a heck of a lot fairer in some areas than before e.g CONSUR A and Africa tournaments held in one week whereas both this time around are multi-week home or away championships. Also WR is easily blameable (and often the criticism of them is well placed) but remember compared to football, or even basketball, the strength and weakness of all the teams in say Europe is a lot bigger than those of those other sports. That makes a qualifying format a lot more drawn out than if most of the teams were roughly of similar standard. Maybe some areas, noticeably Asian and Oceania lower level qualifying, have been poor with many teams opting out of playing, but again I think that's more a reflection on the regional, and national unions (especially the Asia RFU) incompetence than WR. So I'm sorry, but I see your continual moaning about this RWC's qualifying as being a bit OTT to be frank. Certainly it's not perfect but it's been worse!

And the "final four" repechage is a welcome development in my opinion. I'm really looking forward to it.It should boost coverage of the RWC in the participating countries and event host country. I can remember when NZ hosted the Olympic hockey final repechage event a few years ago and that got quite a bit of attention in the NZ media and across the general public. Even piqued my interest and I'm not a field hockey fan at all!

It's just impossible to follow.

Postby ihateblazers » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 05:37

victorsra wrote:AFAIK the Repechage will be on Hong Kong... It was said before but they are probably waiting Hong Kong to win the Asian qualy

Is that contingent on Hong Kong not making the repechage? I think Singapore would be a more suitable option. Theyve got the world class retractable roofed stadium and grass pitch which wouldn't give any unfair advantages unlike in HK. Not to mention they are neutral regardless now.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 07:11

I think it will be Japan or home to the highest ranked team.

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 07:22

YamahaKiwi wrote:amz, I agree. Portugal have known since they lost to Belguim last summer that they would probably be looking at a game v REC 2nd place in Spring. To me this points to Portugal rugby union admin failure more than WR failure.

You don't know Portugal pal! If there were awards for complicating admin and bureaucracy we would be on the top podium.

Regardless Portugal will need to make sure that at least some of their quality overseas players are available for this fixture.

Also is it me or has the Spanish and perhaps German news increades interest in this forum. Seeing a lot of new faces.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 07:29

thatrugbyguy wrote:
YamahaKiwi wrote:

It's just impossible to follow.
I'm sorry, a bit messy with playoffs as I said, but "impossible to follow" is just being dramatic. I can follow what's going on and if I can, so can others I'm sure. Maybe you need a little more faith in the human race's ability to understand lol :lol: Certainly agree with you that it would be nicer to have a more straight-forward qualifying format without PI-European playoffs for example. Well, sorry, you're probably going to have to wait for the following:
1. Other T2 consistenly beating PI @ RWC so PI aren't auto qualifying consistently like they have. E.g USA haven't yet. Japan only for the first time in 2015.
2. Other regions catch up and equal with PI so that PI no longer seen by WR as superior enough to warrant playoff rather than going to repechage.
3. The competiveness across the board between teams in their regions evens out so that instead of a myriad of stages taking into account a vast range of varying strength, there are just multiple pools of similar strength, or only a couple of stages, ala FIFA WC qualifying in the various regions.
Until then....

In the long term the professional evolution of the game will see other teams come up to the PI teams level (and they may come down if resources dwindle in comparison with those of others) and we'll probably end up with 1.5 spots for PI after another 2 or 3 RWCs and the current playoff "fiasco" will naturally sort itself out. Some of us just need to be patient while the current transitional stage plays out. Even then I hope world rugby community doesn't throw PI rugby on the rubbish tip and should support rugby in the area even if it will be a stiff challenge for PI to stay competitive in the long term. They are a unique part of game that no other of the main sports has and rugby should cherish that (though sadly from the tone of some on this thread you have to wonder), while striving for globalisation. WR is playing 2 games and it's not easy balancing them.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 07:35

ihateblazers wrote:

Is that contingent on Hong Kong not making the repechage? I think Singapore would be a more suitable option. Theyve got the world class retractable roofed stadium and grass pitch which wouldn't give any unfair advantages unlike in HK. Not to mention they are neutral regardless now.

No one will turn up in Singapore, and it would generate little public interest. The stadium is literally the only thing in Singapore's favour. Very nice but not great with barely anyone in it!

I think repechages are usually held at one of the participating countries, for Olympic sports which often use them given the limited spots in Olympics available in team sports, as I alluded to with my NZ hockey example. A neutral country hosted event, unless it was maybe Japan itself, would attract negligible interest which would be a shame for this event, which I see as an opportunity to actually boost visibility for rugby and the RWC.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 07:51

Guys, calm down, it will be France

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 07:52

suofficer wrote:
YamahaKiwi wrote:amz, I agree. Portugal have known since they lost to Belguim last summer that they would probably be looking at a game v REC 2nd place in Spring. To me this points to Portugal rugby union admin failure more than WR failure.

You don't know Portugal pal! If there were awards for complicating admin and bureaucracy we would be on the top podium.

Regardless Portugal will need to make sure that at least some of their quality overseas players are available for this fixture.

Also is it me or has the Spanish and perhaps German news increades interest in this forum. Seeing a lot of new faces.

LOL! Nice comment. It would be a keen competition to see who has the worst union admin. Possibly harder than winning RWC itself!

AF has done a wonderful job with his regukar updates, news and observations on Spanish rugby. And doing well and having a grand chance to qualify for the first RWC in a long time is of course raising the interest of rugby amongst Spanish and we are seeing evidence of that here too, which is great!

Scandals, and controversies also generate interest, and German rugby certainly has that at mo.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 07:56

amz wrote:Guys, calm down, it will be France

Of course. Sorry, how could I forget! Richest should always be first in line. :lol:

Postby ihateblazers » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 08:18

YamahaKiwi wrote:
ihateblazers wrote:

No one will turn up in Singapore, and it would generate little public interest. The stadium is literally the only thing in Singapore's favour. Very nice but not great with barely anyone in it!

I think repechages are usually held at one of the participating countries, for Olympic sports which often use them given the limited spots in Olympics available in team sports, as I alluded to with my NZ hockey example. A neutral country hosted event, unless it was maybe Japan itself, would attract negligible interest which would be a shame for this event, which I see as an opportunity to actually boost visibility for rugby and the RWC.

Nobody will show up in HK either apart from when HK plays (if HK doesnt make it then no one will watch) I think you'd get similar crowd in HK and Singapore 1kish max. I don't like the idea of HK getting home advantage. I like your proposal of Korea but Singapore or HK might be better logistically for all the teams flying in?

Postby ihateblazers » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 08:41

To clarify why I don't like the idea of HK getting home advantage is mainly because home advantage is massive in rugby.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 10:20

ihateblazers wrote:Nobody will show up in HK either apart from when HK plays (if HK doesnt make it then no one will watch) I think you'd get similar crowd in HK and Singapore 1kish max. I don't like the idea of HK getting home advantage. I like your proposal of Korea but Singapore or HK might be better logistically for all the teams flying in?

My guess would be, that they have double headers. Groups of 4 teams are magic in that regard, it always works :D
And off course there will be more people in HK than in Singapore. If Super Rugby can't get any crowds in, how can a Repechage tournament. Also I think it is only fair, that Asia gets a slight advantage, as the host continental union. The repechage should imho always be on the continent the World Cup takes part, if possible.
When is the Asia1/ "worst team playing XVs in Oceania"-playoff for the repechage?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 14 Mar 2018, 10:20

YamahaKiwi wrote:I'm sorry, a bit messy with playoffs as I said, but "impossible to follow" is just being dramatic. I can follow what's going on and if I can, so can others I'm sure. Maybe you need a little more faith in the human race's ability to understand lol :lol: Certainly agree with you that it would be nicer to have a more straight-forward qualifying format without PI-European playoffs for example. Well, sorry, you're probably going to have to wait for the following:
1. Other T2 consistenly beating PI @ RWC so PI aren't auto qualifying consistently like they have. E.g USA haven't yet. Japan only for the first time in 2015.
2. Other regions catch up and equal with PI so that PI no longer seen by WR as superior enough to warrant playoff rather than going to repechage.
3. The competiveness across the board between teams in their regions evens out so that instead of a myriad of stages taking into account a vast range of varying strength, there are just multiple pools of similar strength, or only a couple of stages, ala FIFA WC qualifying in the various regions.
Until then....

In the long term the professional evolution of the game will see other teams come up to the PI teams level (and they may come down if resources dwindle in comparison with those of others) and we'll probably end up with 1.5 spots for PI after another 2 or 3 RWCs and the current playoff "fiasco" will naturally sort itself out. Some of us just need to be patient while the current transitional stage plays out. Even then I hope world rugby community doesn't throw PI rugby on the rubbish tip and should support rugby in the area even if it will be a stiff challenge for PI to stay competitive in the long term. They are a unique part of game that no other of the main sports has and rugby should cherish that (though sadly from the tone of some on this thread you have to wonder), while striving for globalisation. WR is playing 2 games and it's not easy balancing them.

I'm talking from the perspective of trying to introduce new people to the game. I know how the system works only because I've had to keep tabs on everything. If I was to try and explain to a newcomer how the world cup qualifiers works I'd need a white board to draw it all out for them. Even cricket has simplified it qualifying format despite doing a hell of a lot less for their developing nations. It's not that difficult to do, it's just WR are as you say trying to ensure certain teams qualify for each tournament, so there's no consistency each cycle, although it looks like it might actually backfire on them this time around which may actually end up being a good thing.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Tomster7uk » Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 01:00

I like this style of qualification because it is unique and different compared to association football.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 06:19

Shockterm wrote:
Tomster7uk wrote:

Portugal has a timelimit up to 28 of april to play the game against romenia which coincides with internal competition. Yet another great move by worldrugby

Thanks for the info. I don't remember anymore why I put the match on may 19. All the rest of the fixtures (or almost all) should be certain and not hypothetic.
On march 31 and april 21 there are the Continental Shield semifinals with Timisoara Saracens and april 7 seems too close, so now I suppose the play-off between Portugal and (probably) Romania will be on april 14 or april 28

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum