Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum - View topic - RWC 2019 Qualifying

Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

RWC 2019 Qualifying

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: RWC 2019 Qualifying

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 20 May 2018, 00:19

How much are your life savings worth? I'll take you on. What odds would you like?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby LittleGuy » Sun, 20 May 2018, 01:42

Neptune wrote:
dwpeate wrote:
dwpeate wrote:Malaysia exit qualification race with a 67-12 loss to South Korea

Meaning that 13 teams remain in the race for the remaining three places
Hong Kong
South Korea
Cook Islands

Samoa
Germany
Portugal

Namibia
Kenya
Zimbabwe
Tunisia
Morocco
Uganda

Canada

What a joke, you don't even need a fortune teller to predict which teams are going through. If there was a bet to be placed, ill put all my life savings on the usual teams, as we all know this is an exercise in futility, and the same teams in England 2015, will be the same teams in Japan 2019.

Russia are already in and they missed 2015. Namibia aren't a guarantee to advance out of Africa. Samoa seem VERY likely for the one spot but in the repechage while Canada are favourites, a Hong Kong or Kenya etc. could upset them.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 20 May 2018, 07:50

NedRugby wrote:How much are your life savings worth? I'll take you on. What odds would you like?

:lol:
Me too.

I would bet that apart from Russia we see either Zimbabwe, HK or Germany/Portugal at the RWC. I habe my doubts about Canada.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:09

I'm not 100% convinced about Canada either. If Zimbabwe can get enough professional overseas players to commit they are going to challenge for the African place. If the miss out they may have the talent to really push Canada all the way. As for Samoa, on paper they should go through from here, but they are times where they play terrible on the day. Portugal/Germany are really going to have to do something special to get past them, and may also need a little luck to go their way. The conditions are going to be humid and uncomfortable in the first match, but heavy rains can fall, so that will help level things if that occurs. Biggest weakness for Samoa is going to be discipline, if they have one of those days where they just keep giving away penalties then Germany/Portugal have to capitalise on those chances. And then they need to do it again a week later at home. There is basically no room for error for Germany or Portugal.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sun, 20 May 2018, 20:08

The repechage will be very interesting.

National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Postby Gen Santa » Sun, 20 May 2018, 22:02

so... let's look at the repechage...

samoa vs germany/portugal - i hate to say it but i hardly see much chance for portugal/germany... romania and spain would have much better shot, but of course their cachirules players cost them... samoa have too many professionals and always play at high level... portugal lost to belgium in 2017, and germany still lacks his best players with no end in sight of the DRV "strike"... samoa will probably take this one, and to be honest, it's slightly dissapointing... both samoa and tonga unions are very incompetent, how they get such a free pass is beyond me

cook islands vs hong kong/south korea - south korea seems to finally be getting his house in order, but hong kong is slightly better with his pro setup... both will easily crush the cookies... personally i hope south korea wins out as korea uses actual koreans... only one chinese man on hong kong squad, ridiculous...

prediction would be canada, samoa, kenya/zimbabwe and korea/hong kong in repechage, with no idea who plays who

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Grayday88 » Sun, 20 May 2018, 22:45

I would be interested in hearing from Canadians on here to see if who they are worried about in the recephage. Samoa should comfortably beat Germany/ Portugal and Hong Kong should prevail against S Korea and Cook Islands

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Sun, 20 May 2018, 23:03

Gen Santa wrote:so... let's look at the repechage...

samoa vs germany/portugal - i hate to say it but i hardly see much chance for portugal/germany... romania and spain would have much better shot, but of course their cachirules players cost them... samoa have too many professionals and always play at high level... portugal lost to belgium in 2017, and germany still lacks his best players with no end in sight of the DRV "strike"... samoa will probably take this one, and to be honest, it's slightly dissapointing... both samoa and tonga unions are very incompetent, how they get such a free pass is beyond me

cook islands vs hong kong/south korea - south korea seems to finally be getting his house in order, but hong kong is slightly better with his pro setup... both will easily crush the cookies... personally i hope south korea wins out as korea uses actual koreans... only one chinese man on hong kong squad, ridiculous...

prediction would be canada, samoa, kenya/zimbabwe and korea/hong kong in repechage, with no idea who plays who

If Samoa win they will go through to the WC, the loser would play the repechage.

Hong Kong already defeated Korea in Incheon, so there's only the game in Hong Kong left, so unfortunately for the Koreans it is extremely likely that Hong Kong will play the Cook Islands (and probably win that game).

The repechage will be a round robin tournament to be played in France.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 20 May 2018, 23:30

Grayday88 wrote:I would be interested in hearing from Canadians on here to see if who they are worried about in the recephage. Samoa should comfortably beat Germany/ Portugal and Hong Kong should prevail against S Korea and Cook Islands

If Germany can get all of their players from Wild, they can push Canada pretty well, I'd imagine... But I still expect Canada to win all of these games.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Mon, 21 May 2018, 01:22

NedRugby wrote:How much are your life savings worth? I'll take you on. What odds would you like?

WR can be read like an open book, the teams to progress will be Samoa, Namibia and Canada as WR wants to retain control of the great north market. At the end of the day, we need to understand that this is not just rugby, these are business decisions made behind closed doors in boardrooms, and the players have little or no control whatsoever. As much as I sound as a conspiracy theorist person, the sooner we all realize this, the better for everyone and we can all rest easy.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 21 May 2018, 02:06

You're not taking into consideration that even if there was favouritism granted to certain teams it's only by virtue of circumstances that weren't predicted that both Canada and Samoa are still likely to qualify. Had the mess in Europe not happened where Spain qualified and Romania advanced to the playoff it would have meant one of those teams missing out. The issue is we are at the stage now where the competitiveness of T3 teams have increased to the point of being able to beat T2 nations, which puts World Rugby in a real dilemma going forward. They can't protect the likes of Canada and Samoa forever, we only have to look at what Brazil have been doing in recent months to see the writing is on the wall for T2 teams who don't perform well. It's going to be even more fascinating to see what Africa produces. We know Namibia are going to be strong, but Zimbabwe are looking to draw as many pros as possible to challenge them. Spain are now competitive in Europe and even Hong Kong are going to be trickier in the Repechage given they've professionalised their set up which has seen improved performances against Japan. WR can try and play favouritism to certain teams but the reality is the rest of the world is catching up.

National Flag:
IsraelIsrael

Postby ZUKER » Mon, 21 May 2018, 09:32

Gen Santa wrote:so... let's look at the repechage...

Samoa is not in Repechage. The only lost the battle with them (Ger/Por) will go to Rep. My personal forcast for Rep is: Canada, Portugal, Zimbabwe and HK

National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Postby JLJordaan » Mon, 21 May 2018, 13:08

ZUKER wrote:My personal forcast for Rep is: Canada, Portugal, Zimbabwe and HK

Agree, although I think Kenya might edge Zimbabwe. With certain pro's committing to play during the Gold cup Zim will probably have a stronger scrum than Kenya, but the 7's experience should pay off. Quite nervous for this year's tournament.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Tue, 22 May 2018, 08:41

JLJordaan wrote:
ZUKER wrote:My personal forcast for Rep is: Canada, Portugal, Zimbabwe and HK

Agree, although I think Kenya might edge Zimbabwe. With certain pro's committing to play during the Gold cup Zim will probably have a stronger scrum than Kenya, but the 7's experience should pay off. Quite nervous for this year's tournament.

Personally I think it will be Namibia or Kenya in the Repechage spot. 8-) :D

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 22 May 2018, 08:54

Since I am always bias towards Uganda that is my choice they will surprise everyone and make to the repechage ;) ;)

Otherwise Namibia or Kenya, Zimbabwe needs all the players available which doesn't happen all the time.

National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Postby JLJordaan » Tue, 22 May 2018, 11:41

Sables4EVA wrote:Personally I think it will be Namibia or Kenya in the Repechage spot.

We'll just have to wait and see then ;) all of the Sub-Saharan teams have the potential to end in the top 2. Don't really know enough about Morocco and Tunisia.

The quality of the African teams have improved immensely, and I am quite nervous about the Gold Cup because I don't know whether Nam's preparations were good enough for this year (although the second team does get enough game time in the SA tournaments). The Gold cup nations need to get their domestic rugby up to scratch if they want to compete with the Europeans and South Americans. More international games are also needed. SA should really do more to grow rugby in its vicinity; Kenya/Uganda, Zim and Nam teams in the Currie Cup would really help. Unfortunately cash is an issue on the continent.

I was wondering why SA doesn't make a deal with the other African countries about midweek games when T1 teams tour during June/July. It will also help if, lets say, Georgia or Romania tour and they can play a midweek game against the Springboks and on weekends play against Nam, Zim or Kenya.

Just a thought.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 22 May 2018, 13:12

Yeah, Africa really needs to get a bit more involved with the November and June international windows, they'd be a good place for teams like Belgium, Portugal and Germany to tour to.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 22 May 2018, 13:43

Neptune wrote:WR can be read like an open book, the teams to progress will be Samoa, Namibia and Canada as WR wants to retain control of the great north market. At the end of the day, we need to understand that this is not just rugby, these are business decisions made behind closed doors in boardrooms, and the players have little or no control whatsoever. As much as I sound as a conspiracy theorist person, the sooner we all realize this, the better for everyone and we can all rest easy.

Sorry, but here I can only shake my head in disbelief of what you write. It simply makes no sense. Samoa and Namibia are in no way interesting markets and Canada has gone nowhere apart from being a regular at the RWC. Spain would have been a dream market, Germany in theory is, I would bet that Kenya is a more interesting market for World Rugby than Namibia and Samoa. Romania is actually not that uninteresting as well, with a solid pay-tv-market in place and a growing economy. And I am not talking about Belgium, which has also some potential.
Samoa plays for the playoffs, because World Rugby loves Pacific Islanders, Canada was always the favourite in the repechage, Africa has always been a very close call, with 3 teams more or less en par.

If you bring up a conspiracy theory again, please check before posting. It is no rocket science and by simple googling the respective countries and looking at their wikipedia sides, you would have found out, that your theory makes no sense.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 22 May 2018, 13:55

I will back Sables but Namibia looks like clear favorites. Also Morocco and Tunisia will make surprises.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby ARHS » Wed, 23 May 2018, 06:45

Samoan squad for Pacific Nations and RWC Qualifiers named:

https://www.radionz.co.nz/international ... manu-samoa

At closer inspection this seems quite a weak squad based on the players eligible for selection. It is the best of those who made themselves available.

It does beg the question of who did not make themselves available, including a number of players with super rugby experience: Fotuali'i, Lemalu, Lemi, Fonotia, Nanai-Williams, Brighouse, Leuila, Taulagi, Leiataua, Nikoro, Johnson, Levave, G Pisi and K Pisi.

Conversely, the Tongan squad looks relatively strong, with several useful new additions: https://matangitonga.to/2018/05/23/ikal ... -announced

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 23 May 2018, 06:57

I notice Sosefo Sakalia from Steaua Bucharest in Tonga's squad.

Interesting Samoa squad, I wonder if will stay like this if there's a miracle and Romania somehow gets back in RWCQ as EU2 after the appeal :D

Postby Raven » Wed, 23 May 2018, 09:33

amz wrote:I notice Sosefo Sakalia from Steaua Bucharest in Tonga's squad.

Interesting Samoa squad, I wonder if will stay like this if there's a miracle and Romania somehow gets back in RWCQ as EU2 after the appeal :D

Why would Romania settle for EU2 if proven right after their appeal? They should go all the way...

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sat, 26 May 2018, 07:26

Just 3 weeks until the African qualifiers start and I think the most exciting and closest tournament will emerge. All 6 teams have made huge preparations and each have a chance of making the grade.

All the games will be live on Kwese though I am not sure how many will be screened on Facebook live.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 26 May 2018, 07:36

Raven wrote:
amz wrote:I notice Sosefo Sakalia from Steaua Bucharest in Tonga's squad.

Why would Romania settle for EU2 if proven right after their appeal? They should go all the way...

Will probably go all the way but I think a lesser point deduction is probable in case of a successful appeal, not a completely different decision. FRR acknowledged the breach and argued from the beginning for mitigating factors which were never considered by the dispute panel.

Sables4EVA wrote:Just 3 weeks until the African qualifiers start and I think the most exciting and closest tournament will emerge. All 6 teams have made huge preparations and each have a chance of making the grade.

All the games will be live on Kwese though I am not sure how many will be screened on Facebook live.

I remember watching with great interest in 2014 and I hope the better games will be live. Any clues about Zim's roster?

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sun, 27 May 2018, 04:20

The final squad should be announced soon. will put it up here as soon as it is out.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum