Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

RWC 2019 Qualifying

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: RWC 2019 Qualifying

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 29 May 2018, 07:47

Qualifier Germany vs. Portugal will be held in Fritz-Grunebaum-Sporpark Heidelberg, June 16th at 3pm.
www.rugby-verband.de/wm-qualifikationss ... eidelberg/

So not in a big stadium. The DRV states this is due to the very short notice of World Rugby.
The stadium has 800 covered seats + some covered stands. Tickets will only be available at game-day.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Tue, 29 May 2018, 08:02

Right unlikely I make this due to my club dinner on the 15th.

However if i can fit it in I'm happy to try and link up for a beer with anyone.

To be honest good luck to both sides after this debacle.

Initial training squad released by FPR for this game is essentially domestic. Will be an interesting game....

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 29 May 2018, 09:40

Yeah, neither team has been given anything close to a proper preparation for this match. It's really unfortunate it's all had to go this way.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Tue, 29 May 2018, 15:20

Any chance to have the Wild players for the game?

Postby Raven » Tue, 29 May 2018, 16:44

qwerty wrote:Any chance to have the Wild players for the game?

Unlikely, but the German final is going to happen this weekend so I´m guessing the roster will be out soon after that.

National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Postby Gen Santa » Wed, 30 May 2018, 05:01

A shame because a full strength Germany squad would at least be interesting versus samoa if they could beat portugal...

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Wed, 30 May 2018, 07:20

Gen Santa wrote:A shame because a full strength Germany squad would at least be interesting versus samoa if they could beat portugal...

I dont think Germany stands a chance against Samoa. Even with “full strength” squad...

In which world Germany can beat Samoa on the way to RWC.

They should target repechage and not Samoa.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 30 May 2018, 07:37

RugbyPUBtbilisi wrote:
Gen Santa wrote:A shame because a full strength Germany squad would at least be interesting versus samoa if they could beat portugal...

I dont think Germany stands a chance against Samoa. Even with “full strength” squad...

They should target repechage and not Samoa.

I think we should first target ending the civil war and then Portugal. 8-)
Germany can always produce a lucky shot in a one-off game, but never ever in a home-and-away matchup. Even if Samoa shouldn't have many players due to the games being scheduled for the 3rd last and the last game days of the regular Super Rugby season.
If Germany would qualify that's simply one of the biggest miracles the rugby world has ever seen.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Wed, 30 May 2018, 07:56

I have this gut feeling that the Wild players will be available....... ;)

If Portugal can get their pro players to put their hands up for selection we will have a good game.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 03 Jun 2018, 10:22

Cook Islands National 15's Team Announcement:

On Behalf of Stan Wright and the Management Team, I would like announce the group of Cook Island players from overseas selected to go over for the RWCQ camp in Rarotonga from the 17th June. These players will be joined by selected locally based players.
A trial match will take place in Rarotonga on 23rd June between the group where a test squad of 26 players will be selected
This warm up match on the 23rd is seen to Stan and the coaches as a trial match leaving the door open on a number of spots for the 23 man Team named for the First test v Hong Kong on Saturday the 30th of June at the National Stadium in Rarotonga.

Alex Casey (Brisbane) 1/2
AJ Cambell (Brisbane) 1
Alex Matapo (Auckland) 1/3
James Pakoti (Wellington) 3
Sam Anderson Heather (Otago) 2
Matt Mullany (Wellington) 2
Oneal Rongo (Northland) 4/5
Shahn Eru (France) 4/5/6
Tai Marsters (Counties) 4/5
Tyrone Viiga (France) 6/7/8
Eruu Wano (Bay of Plenty) 6/7/8
Tai Ford (Brisbane) 6/7/8
Teara Henderson (Wellington) 9
Corry Tearoa (Perth) 9
Walter Koteka (Perth) 10
Will Raea (Counties) 10/15
Reece Joyce (Counties) 10/15
Josh Gordon (Otago) 12/13
Gene Te Amo (Counties) 12/13
Josh Tinomana (Perth)12/13/14
Brynn Uriarau (Hawkes Bay) 11/14
Oisin Clarken (Melbourne)11/14
Justin Marsters (Sydney) 15
Greg Mullany (Wellington) 10/12

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 03 Jun 2018, 12:35

RugbyPUBtbilisi wrote:

The same world where Samoa can play badly one week and then really good the next. The only reason I haven't outright dismissed Germany or Portugal producing a miracle is because Samoa have a tendency to self destruct on any given day. First leg is in Samoa, if Germany/Portugal can keep a loss to less than 10 points they're going to be in with a chance 7 days later. A lot of things will have to go their way though. But a big thing in their favour is they won't have the pressure on them like Samoa will.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sun, 03 Jun 2018, 17:09

Canalina wrote:Cook Islands National 15's Team Announcement:

Lets see how many will end up playing but NZ IV (Samoa and Tonga being II & III) just got some support from Australia II.
I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Hong Kong.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Immenso » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 22:45

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Canalina wrote:Cook Islands National 15's Team Announcement:

Lets see how many will end up playing but NZ IV (Samoa and Tonga being II & III) just got some support from Australia II.
I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Hong Kong.

Yeah, they look quite strong to me.

Sam Anderson-Heather and Shahn Eru are NPC quality players. I've not heard of any of the others though. Although they have a province beside their names in that list, they aren't provincial reps. They are club players within that province. E.g. if I look at one example - Greg Mullany (Wellington). He has not played for Wellington but plays premier club rugby within Wellington for the Poneke club.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 05 Jun 2018, 06:48

I picked out randomly two as well.
Josh Gordon (Otago)
Apparently barely missed the All Blacks 7s team being one of four to be cut for a World Series tournament
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sev ... ton-sevens

Shahn Eru (France)
France means USA Perpignan. A lock who apparently scored 7 tries in 18 apperances in their title winning ProD2 campaign last season (so probably he played flanker more likely than lock). And will play Top14 next season.
http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player-13195.html

Off course there will be some players with "weaker" rugby vitas in the squad, but my money is on the Cookies.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Tue, 05 Jun 2018, 07:29

Looking at that list only 5 of those players actually started vs Tahiti. The majority play club rugby in NZ, but I still think Hong Kong are favourites, they have been training and playing games for the last two months. I do think the pitch at Rarotonga will play a factor in the first leg too I don't expect a high scoring game.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 05 Jun 2018, 07:47

My money are on Hong Kong, you can't change an entire line up in few weeks and winning games in International rugby.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 05 Jun 2018, 08:04

Bogdan_DC wrote:My money are on Hong Kong, you can't change an entire line up in few weeks and winning games in International rugby.

To be fair, I also think that HK is still the favourite. But I would bet on the Cookies. About changing the line up - oh boy I liked the Barbarians game against England :D (to be fair, England also changed a lot). And on this t3-level? Maybe the Cookies pull a little wonder.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 05 Jun 2018, 08:45

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Bogdan_DC wrote:My money are on Hong Kong, you can't change an entire line up in few weeks and winning games in International rugby.

To be fair, I also think that HK is still the favourite. But I would bet on the Cookies. About changing the line up - oh boy I liked the Barbarians game against England :D (to be fair, England also changed a lot). And on this t3-level? Maybe the Cookies pull a little wonder.

I love BaBaas also but a proper England team in a proper test will beat them well :). And yes, what a game that was. Semi Radradra is a freak.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 08:58

No link yet, but the game Germany vs. Portugal will be livestreamed through Rugby Europe on saturday 16th starting 3pm German time.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 10:38

I had been thinking of going but clashes with other things and is not easy to get to Heidelberg from the UK,

Rugby Liebe do you think it will be a sell out or tickets available on the day?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 11:11

Thomas wrote:I had been thinking of going but clashes with other things and is not easy to get to Heidelberg from the UK,

Rugby Liebe do you think it will be a sell out or tickets available on the day?

Tickets are apparently only available on the day starting at noon. I am a 3 hour drive away, sorry I can't help you there. But I'm sure you'll get entrance if you tell them you flew over for the game. I don't sthink that it will be a sell out. Too short notice and many other tournaments are planned for this date.
Heidelberg is not that far away from Frankfurt Airport and connected with a 45 minute train ride. So like flying to London or Luton or Stansted.
Don't know how the connection to Frankfurt-Hahn or Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden but absolutely doable with a car rental, which is not that expensive. And if you are in Germany you once have to drive on the Autobahn with full speed anyway 8-)

But maybe someone from Heidelberg has better travel secrets to share ;-)
I am still thinking about driving there, but will decide short-notice as if got really a lot of things to do atm (when I don't procrastinate in this forum that is).
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 11:17

I've been to Heidelberg for non-rugby reasons. Definitely take a plane to Frankfurt, then drive or take a train to Heidelberg. Another option if flights are cheaper is going to Stuttgart. My main concern if you don't rent a car would be the fact rugby pitches are in the outskirts of the city.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 11:24

Armchair Fan wrote:I've been to Heidelberg for non-rugby reasons. Definitely take a plane to Frankfurt, then drive or take a train to Heidelberg. Another option if flights are cheaper is going to Stuttgart. My main concern if you don't rent a car would be the fact rugby pitches are in the outskirts of the city.

I can confirm it isn't easy to reach the rugby field, still doable with a tramway but better get a car if possible. If not, trains are easy to get and worth visiting the town as well.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby sanitycheck » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 11:38

Its about a 20 min walk from Heidelberg main station to the ground - i used to do it quite a bit , just dont get caught in the maze near the end of the walk , there is a bike path just after the hockey club that misses all that :lol: .
Formerly known as "Aus_in_Germany"

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Gorbeh » Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 14:53

For those interested, here is the German "squad", which will meet and prepare themselves this weekend and from which the final squad will be decided:

Forwards:
Julius Nostadt (Aurillac, France), Jörn Schröder, Samy Füchsel, Jaco Otto, Timo Vollenkemper, Sebastian Ferreira, Ayron Schramm, Jarrid Els, Luis Ball (all Heidelberger RK), Antony Dickinson (RG Heidelberg), Marcel Becker (SC Frankfurt 1880), Paul Weiß (SC Neuenheim), Mark Fairhurst, Marcel Henn (both SU Neckarsulm), Marcus Bender (TSV Handschuhsheim), Eric Marks (La Rochelle, France)

Backs:
Jan Piosik (Hannover 78), Sean Armstriong, Pierre Mathurin, Hagen Schulte, Raynor Parkinson, Steffen Liebig, Marcel Coetzee (all Heidelberger RK), Florian Wehrspann, Manuel Müller, Marvin Dieckmann (all RG Heidelberg), Zinzan Hees (RK Heusenstamm), Luis Lemperle (SC Frankfurt 1880), Nikolai Klewinghaus (SC Neuenheim), Oliver Paine, Carlos Soteras-Merz (both TV Pforzheim), Tim Menzel, Chris Hilsenbeck (RC Vannes, France)

On Call: Winston Cameron-Dow, Lukas Deichmann (Sc Frankfurt 1880), Felix Martel, Paul Schüle (TSV Handschuhsheim), Fabian Heimpel (RG Heidelberg), Sam Harris (TV Pforzheim).
Last edited by Gorbeh on Thu, 07 Jun 2018, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum