Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Moldovan rugby

National Flag:
UkraineUkraine

Moldovan rugby

Postby Roger » Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:56

So, they blew it regarding the promotion to ENC1A. Too bad, they are currently easily the best side in ENC1B. They played well vs. Poland, shame they couldn't get that 4th try for the BP. It's unlikely Germany will not get the BP vs. Sweden.

Philippe

Re: Moldovan rugby

Postby Philippe » Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 11:21

Too bad for Moldova, but I guess FIRA is delighted to have Germany in the first division instead of another small, poor country.

Konstantinos

Postby Konstantinos » Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 13:43

Philippe wrote:Too bad for Moldova, but I guess FIRA is delighted to have Germany in the first division instead of another small, poor country.

I don't want to imply anything, but they did send a Russian ref to Moldova's game against Poland, despite the clear conflict of interests and Moldova's alleged requests to have the ref changed.

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 15:02

Konstantine wrote:
Philippe wrote:Too bad for Moldova, but I guess FIRA is delighted to have Germany in the first division instead of another small, poor country.

I don't want to imply anything, but they did send a Russian ref to Moldova's game against Poland, despite the clear conflict of interests and Moldova's alleged requests to have the ref changed.

It's a huge issue. I think Romania and Georgia should leave the ENC for the NH competition and ENC should change his format to include, Moldova, Germany, Belgium and Poland.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 16:08

olivier wrote:
Konstantine wrote:

It's a huge issue. I think Romania and Georgia should leave the ENC for the NH competition and ENC should change his format to include, Moldova, Germany, Belgium and Poland.

What about Spain, Portugal and Russia?

National Flag:
MacauMacau

Postby olivier » Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 19:52

iul wrote:
olivier wrote:It's a huge issue. I think Romania and Georgia should leave the ENC for the NH competition and ENC should change his format to include, Moldova, Germany, Belgium and Poland.

What about Spain, Portugal and Russia?

They stay in the ENC.

Postby Beeman » Thu, 01 May 2014, 15:46

Total Rugby feature on Dmitri Arhip and Vadim Cobilas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C9vLZtKJEg

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Romanian Rugby 2014

Postby dragos03 » Wed, 14 May 2014, 07:13

Moldova's national team has won the Sofia 7s tournament organised in Bulgaria last weekend. They have defeated Romanian club RCM Galati in the final of the tournament. All the other participants were Bulgarian teams (among them RC Yantra Gabrovo, Barbarians Sofia and RC National Sport Academy Sofia).

Many photos from the event in this Facebook album:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 245&type=1

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sun, 24 Aug 2014, 10:27

Craig Felston told me on twitter he has signed a deal with Stade Domontois (federale 2): https://aviewfrombehindthescrum.wordpre ... ugby-club/
I've asked him if he will also have to work in order to sustain himself and he said that he won't have to work, presumably because the club is paying him.

I've also asked him how much he gets paid and if he'll continue to play for Moldova. I will post his answers here if/when he answers.

National Flag:
Pitcairn IslandPitcairn Island

Postby Adamstown 7's » Thu, 11 Sep 2014, 10:38

I have a friend that currently plays with Dimitru Arhip at the Ospreys in Wales. I asked him if he knew the big man, and he explained that he was given the task of taking the Moldovan Monster to Heathrow Airport In London. He explained that there wasn't much conversation on the way up as Dimitru's english is very limited. He currently lives in south Wales with him family. I asked him what he was like on the training pitch and my friend told me that he's one of the best scrummagers the Welsh region has at the moment, but in open play he can be difficult to play with. He told me that they literally have to point to the phases and tell him where to go. This could be due to his lack of understanding of what his role is in open play, but the welsh boys help him along (it's probably hard enough for him to understand english, but when you factor in the welsh accent/ speed of conversation etc. it must be nearly impossible.) He currently holds the deadlift record in a number of Swansea Gyms I am told. Arhip also said that if he doesn't break into the Ospreys 1st team this season, he'll go elsewhere as he can earn the same wage in Russia/Romania, and play 1st team rugby and live in a country with a lower cost of living. I can't see him breaking into the rabo this year to be honest (mainly due to the fact that he is not welsh) so I expect Dimitru to be playing in the Russian/Romanian league this time next season.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Horsehead » Thu, 11 Sep 2014, 15:47

So what is the club scene like in Moldova? I have seen it mooted a few times that Moldova enter a team in the Romanian Super Liga. Is there any truth to this and is this their best chance of a professional team?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Thu, 11 Sep 2014, 15:55

They have 4 clubs in the first league, all of them in Chisinau IIRC. They may have other clubs that only have juniors or don't participate in any competitions.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 11 Sep 2014, 15:57

Moldova have a club that plays in Ukraine don't they? Not sure why they would but I thought I saw that on Wikipedia.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Thu, 11 Sep 2014, 16:21

I've never heard anything about that, but if the club is in Transnistria then that would be possible.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 11 Sep 2014, 18:34

iul wrote:I've never heard anything about that, but if the club is in Transnistria then that would be possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_Dinamo-Center was the club and they play(ed) out of Tiraspol which Wikipedia tells me is in Transnistria. I don't know if they still play in the Ukraine Superliga as I can't read Ukrainian but if someone can here's a website http://rugby.org.ua/news while this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine_Rugby_Superliga only mentions 2011-12.

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 11 Sep 2014, 21:03

There is also Olimp Electromaş Tiraspol though they only seem to play 7s and at junior grade and beach rugby!

Postby 4N » Mon, 29 Sep 2014, 17:31

Dumitru Arhip made his first start for Ospreys after a long injury layoff and singlehandedly destroyed Munster's scrum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmmixFojdc0

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Mon, 29 Sep 2014, 18:35

Is there any way for Moldova to play in the Romanian Superliga? I was looking at their squad on Wikipedia and like half of them play in Moldova(mostly for USEFS Blumarine) with the next largest amount spread across Russia. Moldova has a lot of potential despite their size(population and player numbers) but I can't imagine the talent level in country is enough to help them reach the next level.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Mon, 29 Sep 2014, 18:56

4N wrote:Dumitru Arhip made his first start for Ospreys after a long injury layoff and singlehandedly destroyed Munster's scrum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmmixFojdc0

:thumbup: Great , but Dumitru Arhip will play prop all games at prop?
His returns is a great news for Moldova, he is one of the most powerfull player, with Prepelita.

In various news :
- In Federale2, Craig Felston started the game with Stade Domontois at fly half, but his team was trashed by Tours (38-0)
- winger Andrei Olari stopped his career to become the head coach of Villefranche XIII (french rugby league team)
- young prop Gheorge Gajion won both games against Tbilisi Caucasians with Rovigo. He started the first game and was on the bench for the second (entered on the pitch min.66)
- prop Vadim Cobilas played all games for Sale Sharks since the begin of the season. He started 3 of these 4 games and scored a try
- 7 moldovans played the romanian Super Liga, their statistics :
  • Andrei Mahu (lock, Timisoara) - 7 games played (6 started) = 397 minutes
  • Leon Victor (prop, CSM Bucuresti) - 3 games played (2 started) = 143 minutes / 1 yellow card
  • Mihai Golubenco (fullback, Steaua) - 10 games played (5 started) = 458 minutes
  • Igor Orghianu (hooker, Steaua) - 6 games played (4 started) = 267 minutes / 1 try
  • Ion Cavcaliuc (centre, Dinamo) - 9 games played (6 started) = 551 minutes / 1 try
  • Ruslan Dorogan (prop, Dinamo) - 5 games played (0 started) = 89 minutes
  • Roman Rotundu (flanker, Dinamo) - 2 games played (2 started) = 99 minutes
- 7 moldovans played the russian Super League, stats :
  • Maxim Gargalic (lock, Enisey-STM) - 15 games played (13 started) = 885 minutes / 5 tries
  • Andrei Romanov (lock, Krasny Yar) - 10 games played (5 started) = 433 minutes / 2 tries
  • Victor Arhip (lock/flanker, Krasny Yar) - 11 games played (11 started) = 880 minutes / 3 tries
  • Veaceslav Titica (lock/prop, Krasny Yar) - 15 games played (6 started) = 640 minutes / 2 tries
  • Maxim Cobilas (prop, Krasny Yar) - 13 games played (9 started) = 647 minutes
  • Oleg Prepelita (eightman, Krasny Yar) - 13 games played (13 started) = 1040 minutes / 8 tries
  • Sergey Budoyan (flanker, Bulava) - 3 games played (2 started) = 121 minutes

Buffalo wrote:Is there any way for Moldova to play in the Romanian Superliga? I was looking at their squad on Wikipedia and like half of them play in Moldova(mostly for USEFS Blumarine) with the next largest amount spread across Russia. Moldova has a lot of potential despite their size(population and player numbers) but I can't imagine the talent level in country is enough to help them reach the next level.

This squad is not updated since a long time, only Felston was added.
This year 7 moldovans played the Super Liga, a 20-years old prop (Nichita Macaria) won the second division and a winger (Andrei Cebotari) played in third division, loaned by Dinamo Bucuresti.
Last edited by beber on Tue, 30 Sep 2014, 00:08, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Mon, 29 Sep 2014, 20:11

Ya I figured it was probably pretty off. I'm glad to hear Moldova is getting players playing at pretty good levels of competition. I was thinking that the Moldova union could work with the Romania Union to send a mostly Moldovan squad to compete in Romania since I'm pretty sure Romania is the class of Eastern European club rugby(not sure how Georgia and Russia fair but they are pretty secluded). A team based in Chisinau wouldn't be that bad for travel times and cost would it? Grande Prairie and Fort McMurray have to travel similar distances for their road games here in the Edmonton Rugby Union(while being just club teams) as Chisinau to Bucharest and Constanta. Though I'm not sure if Moldova could even afford it so there's that.

Again the Canadian in me thinks cross border leagues are awesome and the way to go and I'm pretty unfamiliar with how Europeans view these sort of things. We do it for baseball, soccer, hockey, basketball and even Seattle (OPSB) Saracens play in the BC Rugby Union and almost made it to the CDI Premier League this last season. It just makes sense for me. If you have a strong and close neighbor then why not help each other out for competition?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 29 Sep 2014, 20:14

There has been recurring talk of having a MoldovanXV in SuperLiga in the past couple of years, specially as we only have 7 teams now instead of 8, but they didn't come to fruition, probably due to the lack of cash the Moldovans probably have.
I for one would love to have such a team.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 29 Sep 2014, 20:16

Cobilas' pass for the Brady try was a bit good for a tighthead prop! If you can watch the highlights its worth a quick dig out

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Mon, 29 Sep 2014, 21:03

sk 88 wrote:Cobilas' pass for the Brady try was a bit good for a tighthead prop! If you can watch the highlights its worth a quick dig out

and his try against London Welsh

(I don't know why gifyoutube make gifs faster than the video)

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Thu, 09 Oct 2014, 19:23

beber wrote:
Buffalo wrote:Is there any way for Moldova to play in the Romanian Superliga? I was looking at their squad on Wikipedia and like half of them play in Moldova(mostly for USEFS Blumarine) with the next largest amount spread across Russia. Moldova has a lot of potential despite their size(population and player numbers) but I can't imagine the talent level in country is enough to help them reach the next level.

This squad is not updated since a long time, only Felston was added.

I updated the squad but some infos are missing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldova_na ... rent_squad

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 09 Oct 2014, 20:18

Is Lupii Albi-USEFS the dominant club in Moldova? That's a lot of players on that list.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum