Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum - View topic - Romanian Rugby

Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Romanian Rugby

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Romanian Rugby

Postby amz » Wed, 30 May 2018, 16:58

Sick wrote:2). They shouldn't have beaten Timisoara. They just weren't the better team, not even during the season. The were worse talent-wise and the guys in charge there are VERY weird.
3). Yeah those are in my opinion the best teams. Apjok probably will we part of the next coaching staff but i never liked him as a coach. His teams have been shit in big deciding games the past.... 4-5 years.

Agree. Their fans are moaning a lot about new coach, they missed Apjok although he lost them what, 4-5 finals?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 31 May 2018, 10:14

Romania 7s for Rugby Europe Men's Trophy, 8-9 June 2018, Zagreb:

Timisoara Saracens: Luke Samoa, Vlad Popa, Vladut Zaharia, Jack Umaga
CSM Stiinta Baia Mare : Alexandru Bucur, Alexandru Tigla
CSA Steaua: Denis Perju, Kuselo Moyake, Ionel Melinte
CSM Bucuresti : Catalin Prunaru, Daniel Carpo, Sioeli Lama
CS Dinamo: Valentin Ivan
CNOPT: Daniel Boicu, Raoul Paxaman
Hull Rugby (England): Stephen Hihetah
STAFF: Danie De Villiers – Head Coach, William Moala – Assistant Coach

I think is a very strong squad. Surprising to see ex- Timisoara Moala as Assistant coach. I think Romania is the main favorite of this tournament, we should be back in the Grand Prix.

https://frr.ro/2018/05/31/romania-7s-se ... ezi-lotul/

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Thu, 31 May 2018, 10:30

amz wrote:Romania 7s for Rugby Europe Men's Trophy, 8-9 June 2018, Zagreb:

I think is a very strong squad. Surprising to see ex- Timisoara Moala as Assistant coach. I think Romania is the main favorite of this tournament, we should be back in the Grand Prix.

Dear Lord Daniel Carpo playing 7s... and Valentin Ivan... dear oh dear... :lol:

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 31 May 2018, 10:34

Odd to call up Carpo, I know. He will play prop probably. Maybe De Villiers is calling him to to get him used with the environment, for a future coaching career as he's one player who graduated Rugby Academy ?

Ivan played a lot of Sevens in his youth.
Last edited by amz on Thu, 31 May 2018, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 31 May 2018, 10:35

Sick wrote:
amz wrote:Romania 7s for Rugby Europe Men's Trophy, 8-9 June 2018, Zagreb:

Dear Lord Daniel Carpo playing 7s... and Valentin Ivan... dear oh dear... :lol:

Carpo was a very good 7s players...when he was younger and a little bit lighter :).

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Thu, 31 May 2018, 10:55

Good points guys, I get Ivan has experience but he does not really look like a 7s player. He's not even quick...
I've always liked Carpo, a lot, I always saw him as the "old captain" of our national team, more so than Burcea (nothing against him). Carpo is probably the fittest old guy we have, he can still play 80 mins back to back in the SL, Ion and Burcea can't but still even if he's playing prop i just think he's too old.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 31 May 2018, 11:04

Not everybody in Sevens needs to be quick. Have a look at USA. Behind speedsters you've got pretty strong guys.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby luca tim » Thu, 31 May 2018, 11:31

Looks like one chapter in the history of Timisoara Rugby Club is over. Remains to be seen wether it's the final chapter or not.. the main private sponsor (or sugar daddy as he was named on this forum by some of "us") will stand back from the management (at least).
Last edited by luca tim on Thu, 31 May 2018, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Thu, 31 May 2018, 11:33

Armchair Fan wrote:Not everybody in Sevens needs to be quick. Have a look at USA. Behind speedsters you've got pretty strong guys.

He is not strong, or quick. He is that kind of 9 who slows the game terribly. I think if i remember correctly he wasn't always a 9. But still he's neither quick nor strong, nor very skilled.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Thu, 31 May 2018, 11:37

luca tim wrote:Looks like one chapter in the history of Timisoara Rugby Club is over. Remains to be seen if it's the final chapter... the main private sponsor (or sugar daddy as he was named on this forum by some of "us") will stand back from the management.

That is dreadfull news. Our local team might go to ****, Luca :cry:

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 31 May 2018, 11:39

As far as I know, but I might be wrong, his financial contribution to the budget of the club was very small.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Thu, 31 May 2018, 11:42

amz wrote:As far as I know, but I might be wrong, his financial contribution to the budget of the club was very small.

True, but he was always active and very good at finding sponsors.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 31 May 2018, 11:47

http://www.opiniatimisoarei.ro/la-timis ... 31/05/2018

More info:
- this is due to the inability of the local authorities to honor their promises regarding the infrastructure for sport.
- he will continue to support financially the team although with a lower amount.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Thu, 31 May 2018, 11:54

amz wrote:http://www.opiniatimisoarei.ro/la-timisoara-saracens-se-incheie-o-era-de-aur-finantatorul-dan-dinu-lasa-echipa-pe-primul-loc/31/05/2018

More info:
- this is due to the inability of the local authorities to honor their promises regarding the infrastructure for sport.
- he will continue to support financially the team although with a lower amount.

This comes right after the mayor restated his promise for a new 5.000 seater rugby stadium which he had been promising for the past 8 years i think (stadium which everyone knows will never happen). Timisoara's mayor is a maniacal idiot. A zebra drowned itself because of him. No joke.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 31 May 2018, 12:17

Sick wrote:
amz wrote:http://www.opiniatimisoarei.ro/la-timisoara-saracens-se-incheie-o-era-de-aur-finantatorul-dan-dinu-lasa-echipa-pe-primul-loc/31/05/2018

More info:

This comes right after the mayor restated his promise for a new 5.000 seater rugby stadium which he had been promising for the past 8 years i think (stadium which everyone knows will never happen). Timisoara's mayor is a maniacal idiot. A zebra drowned itself because of him. No joke.

:lol: :lol: He is an odd dude, I know. I can see Dinu's issue, a 5000 seater shouldn't be an issue for a wealthy city as Timisoara.

Tomorrow at 19:00, CSM Bucuresti - Engand Counties at Arcul de Triumf. Home side is missing 8 players but still a strong side.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 31 May 2018, 12:26

This are very bad news. The worst news in domestic Romanian rugby since Farul Constanta disappeared. Put this together with Romania exclusion from World Cup and we can really must worry about the total meltdown of our rugby. And bad news are not over....

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby luca tim » Thu, 31 May 2018, 16:20

amz wrote: :lol: :lol: He is an odd dude, I know. I can see Dinu's issue, a 5000 seater shouldn't be an issue for a wealthy city as Timisoara.

The dude is a complete nutter! The other day he made a show of what should have been a simple inauguration of a small overpass, with a brass band singing arias from Verdi's Aida. Then he went berserk over some cyclists protesting at the site against him. If only the local authorities will be in charge of the Rugby Club I think in 2 years everything will turn to ruins.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Fri, 01 Jun 2018, 08:07

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... XxkazrUeuZ
According to that official document from the Ministry of Youth and Sports the total number of registered rugby players in Romania in 2015 was 2939. I haven't found any more recent data, but I doubt the situation has improved much.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 01 Jun 2018, 08:53

Danie de Villiers gives a short interview about Romania 7s in the weekly TV show Rugby Nation:

https://www.facebook.com/telekomsportro ... Tk5OTI5MQ/ (starts from 12:11)

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Sun, 03 Jun 2018, 07:47

CSM Bucuresti 17-41 England Counties
http://www.englandrugby.com/news/featur ... t-romania/

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 13:41

Romania A squad to play England Counties:

1. Marius Lungu (CSA Steaua)
2. Tudor Butnariu (CSA Steaua)
3. Alexandru Gordas (CSA Steaua)
4. Adrian Motoc (C) (Racing 92) - Captain
5. Marius Iftimiciuc (Timisoara Saracens)
6. Vlad Neculau (Timisoara Saracens)
7. Marcel Rusu (CS Dinamo)
8. Damian Stratila (CSA Steaua)
9. Gabriel Rupanu (Timisoara Saracens)
10. Tudor Boldor (CSA Steaua)
11. Alexandru Porojan (CSA Steaua)
12. Ionut Balaban (CS Dinamo)
13. Stefan Cucos (Tomitanii)
14. Mihai Lamboiu (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
15. Marius Simionescu (Timisoara Saracens)

Subs:
16. Adrian Tala (CS Tomitanii)
17. Iulian Hartig (CSM Bucuresti)
18. Silviu Suciu (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
19. Bogdan Doroftei (CSA Steaua)
20. Silviu Gradinaru (CS Dinamo)
21. Alexandru Afloare (CS Tomitanii)
22. Ovidiu Melniciuc (U Cluj)
23. George Oprea (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
24. Ionut Botezatu (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
25. Adrian Apostol (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)

Very young team, except Botezatu, Apostol and Suciu but it is normal with so many backs who played in Autumn to Romania A to Sevens squad (Melinte, Popa, Perju, Bucur) who is looking to promote or some injured (Onutu, Plai). Savin still injured although he was in the squad, Chirica not even on bench so I presume he's injured too.

This is quite far of what I imagined but will be interesting to see how Tomitanii's players will do, they only played second division rugby so far.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 16:37

Someone posted this on Reddit, obviously you guys are the best source. I'll post the link below if any of you guys have a reddit account and want to answer, otherwise I can just spread the news.

Hey guys, I'm currently travelling in Romania (Transylvania more specifically) and I would like to buy a Romania rugby shirt. I have a small collection of rugby shirts from different countries I've visited so I'd like to add Romania's to my collection. If there is a sports shop chain that sells them could someone let me know. I know I can just buy off the Internet but I would like an official one and don't mind spending the money on it. Any info would be great.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/com ... _has_been/

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 05 Jun 2018, 08:49

Maybe he can try to go to Decathlon ? There is one in Brasov from memory. In France you can find shirts there.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 05 Jun 2018, 09:03

vino_93 wrote:Maybe he can try to go to Decathlon ? There is one in Brasov from memory. In France you can find shirts there.

I answered him on reddit. There are rugby shirts in Decathlon but not sure if original national team jersey, I don't recall if from last time being there. He also said he'll only stay in Cluj-Napoca.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Caledor » Tue, 05 Jun 2018, 10:30

amz wrote:1) I heard that Dinamo Buchuresti is in financial trouble and may go into liquidation? They haven't paid players for months? What is going on in Romanian club rugby now? Iasi and Cluj were in trouble.

Dinamo have this issues every year, the head of the multi sports club don't like rugby. I think they will join next Super Liga for sure. Liquidation for sure not, maybe a relegation to DNS but I doubt it. Iasi was a different issue and U Cluj managed to recover themselves.

2) CSM Baia Mare should have beaten Timisoara but now 2nd year in a row there were individuals who cost them the game. CSM Baia Mare president is a nutter too. After the game he was threatening players wage deductions and all sorts if they went out after the game. Crazy man.

Sometimes presidents of Baia Mare, Timisoara and even CSM act like at football. However, BM have a long history already of losing finals...

3) I think Steaua Buchuresti and CSM Buchuresti are getting stronger. For me, Eugen Apjok is a really good coach and one of the up and should be part of the national teams.

I like Dan Dumbrava from Steaua more than Apjok. Steaua managed to finish the regular season of SuperLiga on top, with only two loses despite the fact that they had a very young team and kept only 2 foreign experienced players for the return leg (Vueti, Kuselo) and Dumbrava was at his first year as Head coach. The backline is all Romanian and very young and held well or scored spectacular tries very much stronger sides on paper. Two of their main decision makers are under 22 (Boldor at FH and Melinte at FB), other young backs as Bencea, Stratila or Porojan and they have also young forwards (Gordas, Doroftei, Stratila) who looked very good. Lucaci their captain was injured since last year so they had to pump in young blood.

CSM is another story, they have quite low cohesion because they signed many players this season and I highlight here new sensation wing Nicholas Onutu (23yo) who scored 5 tries if I am not mistaken in 4 matches, young back Prunaru (24yo) who got into the team regularly before better rated backs, foreign ones included, prop Savin (23) or scrum-half Bratu (25) who established himself well before more experienced options such as Calafeateanu. But Apjok didn't managed to get a win vs Steaua's kindergarten I lost count of how many finals he lost. In the big final, young flanker Neculau (Timisoara) or Chirica (Baia Mare) were among the best on the field. Which brings me to the next subject:

4) Romania National team is going to be worse after next year RWC 2019. In last 2018 Rugby Europe Championship squad of 30, there were 29 players 25 years old or older. 19 players were 30 years old or older. Basically, there are about 9 players in that squad who would be fit and in condition enough and still not too old to try and be a core squad players for the 2023 RWC. Really shows weaknesses in the national succession planning and it is sad. It would be excellent to see the Oaks always be competitive.

Players used vs Samoa and Tonga in November:

Props:
Lazar
Tarus
Ursache
Gordas (23)
Badiu (28) - 34 yo in 2023

Hookers:
Radoi
Cojocaru (22)
Bardasu (26)

Locks:
Van Heerden
Poparlan
Antonescu (25)
Muresan (23)
Motoc (20)

Backrow:
Nistor (24)
Chirica (21)
Burcea
Macovei
Gorcioaia
Kuselo

SH:
Surugiu
Bratu (26)

FH:
Vlaicu

Centers:
Kinikinilau
Fakaosilea
Umaga

Back three:
Fonovai (28) - he'd be 34, same age as Kvirikashvili
Dumitru (25)
Simionescu (21)

For a team that was still to qualify to RWC I think is a decent number of players who can make it to 2023. I mean, this group still prepared 2019 back then so it's normal to use experienced players mainly

5) If Romania won their appeal what would happen for RWC 2019 qualification?

I don't quite get your question, could you please be more specific?[/quote]

What I mean is if Romania have their appeal upheld is it likely that they could still possibly qualify for the RWC 2019?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum