Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Romanian Rugby

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Romanian Rugby

Postby Griff » Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 19:02

Romania hasn't fared too well at the 2014 U18 European Championship.
They just lost today by 2 points (17 - 15) to Spain, after having the lead for quite some time.

Philippe

Re: Romanian Rugby 2014

Postby Philippe » Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 11:21

Romania never has good results at the age grade level, do they?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 19:09

Superliga Day 4:

Dinamo - CSM Bucuresti 16-27 (3-19)
Tries: Andrei Cristea, Ion Cavcaliuc/Andrei Filip, Marian Ispir (2), Ion Florentin
Conversions: -/Andrei Filip (2)
Penalties: Teodor Nitu (2)/Andrei Filip
Man of the match: Andrei Filip (CSM Bucuresti)

Baia Mare - Steaua 31-3 (10-0)
Tries: Johannes Van Heerden, Sean Morrell (2), Bizdina Shamkharadze/-
Conversions: Luke Samoa (4)/-
Penalties: Luke Samoa/Danut Dumbrava
Man of the match: Stefan Ciuntu (Baia Mare)

Again a bonus point win for CSM Bucuresti, who play fast and spectacular rugby. For Dinamo, young Moldovan centre Cavcaliuc has scored a try in his first Superliga match. There was no real contest in Baia Mare, Steaua seems to be severely weekened this season.

RCM Timisoara - Farul Constanta 35-13 (27-6)
Tries: Viliami Moala, Paula Kinikinilau, Stephen Shennan, Catalin Fercu/Onal Ageacai
Conversions: Valentin Calafeteanu (2)/Florin Vlaicu
Penalties: Valentin Calafeteanu (3)/Florin Vlaicu (2)

A spectacular match, I think this was a good propaganda for rugby in Timisoara. The hosts aimed for an attendance of 5000 fans but I would estimate there were only 3-4 thousand. Still, not bad for the first match on the big stadium and hopefully the rugby club can move there soon (the pitch looked great after three days of continuous rain).

Like Steaua in the last round, Farul could only resist the champions for the first 20 minutes. They did manage to play better in the second half, I thought it would be a complete rout after the half time score. But the visitors were completely outplayed tonight (except their props).

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 20:57

dragos03 wrote:Superliga Day 4:

Dinamo - CSM Bucuresti 16-27 (3-19)
Tries: Andrei Cristea, Ion Cavcaliuc/Andrei Filip, Marian Ispir (2), Ion Florentin
Conversions: -/Andrei Filip (2)
Penalties: Teodor Nitu (2)/Andrei Filip
Man of the match: Andrei Filip (CSM Bucuresti)

Baia Mare - Steaua 31-3 (10-0)
Tries: Johannes Van Heerden, Sean Morrell (2), Bizdina Shamkharadze/-
Conversions: Luke Samoa (4)/-
Penalties: Luke Samoa/Danut Dumbrava
Man of the match: Stefan Ciuntu (Baia Mare)

Again a bonus point win for CSM Bucuresti, who play fast and spectacular rugby. For Dinamo, young Moldovan centre Cavcaliuc has scored a try in his first Superliga match. There was no real contest in Baia Mare, Steaua seems to be severely weekened this season.

RCM Timisoara - Farul Constanta 35-13 (27-6)
Tries: Viliami Moala, Paula Kinikinilau, Stephen Shennan, Catalin Fercu/Onal Ageacai
Conversions: Valentin Calafeteanu (2)/Florin Vlaicu
Penalties: Valentin Calafeteanu (3)/Florin Vlaicu (2)

A spectacular match, I think this was a good propaganda for rugby in Timisoara. The hosts aimed for an attendance of 5000 fans but I would estimate there were only 3-4 thousand. Still, not bad for the first match on the big stadium and hopefully the rugby club can move there soon (the pitch looked great after three days of continuous rain).

Like Steaua in the last round, Farul could only resist the champions for the first 20 minutes. They did manage to play better in the second half, I thought it would be a complete rout after the half time score. But the visitors were completely outplayed tonight (except their props).

The match was pleasant to watch. I loved the fact that they put the camera opposite to where the fans were sitting. Surely, this should be standard practice. I didn't notice any damage whatsoever to the pitch. Hopefully this means the local authorities will let them play more games there and hopefully the national team will soon play there as well. If they could have about 3k people on a rainy day watching club rugby I'm sure Timisoara would do at least as well as Cluj did crowd wise.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 10:46

Some news:
- next weekend (25-26 April), there will be an international 7s tournament in the Eastern Romanian town of Barlad. Participants: Romania, Romania A, Moldova, Poland, Romania U19, Poland U19, Moldova U19.
- Ealing Trailfinders, with hooker Andrei Radoi on the pitch for the whole 80 minutes, has managed a crucial bonus point win away at Plymouth Albion. Before the final round of the RFU Championship, Ealing are no longer the bottom team and could avoid relegation.
- Moldovan club RC Triumf has played in an international tournament in France with two local military teams last week. I think this might be the first time when a Moldovan club travels to Western Europe.

Highlights
Baia Mare - Steaua 31-3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... rOpi7U6OLM
Timisoara - Farul 35-13:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... -GXjPcvjiw

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Wed, 23 Apr 2014, 16:26

Farul Constanta has signed two Fijian players:
- scrumhalf Nemia Kenatale Ranuku (25 caps) - he was a starter for Fji at RWC 2011, also started Fiji's last test against Romania in Bucharest in November. Has also played for the Barbarians and Southland, looks like a big transfer for Farul.
- centre David Faamita - this one is a young player who only seems to have played rugby league (but he did it for the Brisbane Broncos in the NRL)

Alin Petrache has officially announced that he will run to replace Morariu as COSR President.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Thu, 24 Apr 2014, 18:52

Superliga Round 5 will be played this weekend:
Farul Constanta vs Baia Mare (April 26, 11:00 local time, live on TVR 2, Neptun TV and http://www.rugbytv.ro, also on http://www.ntvonline.ro/articol/ntv-live)
CSM Bucuresti vs RCM Timisoara (April 27, 11:00 local time, live on http://www.rugbytv.ro)
U Cluj vs Dinamo (April 27, 14:00 local time, live on TVR Cluj and http://www.rugbytv.ro, also on http://www.tvrplus.ro/live-tvr-cluj)

Other news:
- another transfer has been announced: U Cluj has signed a Tongan scum half named Leimoni Moala. I've found nothing about him on the Internet. The name could be slightly wrong though, there is a scrum half named Filimone Moala who has played for Tonga U23.
- Catalin Fercu was named the best player of Round 4 of the Superliga. Round highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pKWrHf ... 6QW3onmVOQ

Postby Beeman » Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 13:26

Saracens partnership with Timisoara looks all but confirmed.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... world.html

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 15:48

I don't think this partnership will have much real impact, but maybe the Saracens could visit Romania to play a friendly against their new partners. I can't wait to travel to Timisoara if such a match happens :).

Results from the first day of the international 7s tournament in Barlad:

România U 19 - Moldova U 19: 33-0,
România - Poland: 14-0,
România U19 - Poland U19: 12-5,
România U19 - Moldova U19: 26-0,
România - Moldova: 32-0,
Moldova U19 - Poland U19: 7-21,
Poland - Moldova: 24-7,
România U19 - Poland U19: 12-7,
România - Poland: 14-12.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Sat, 26 Apr 2014, 10:55

Farul Constanta - Baia Mare 15-17 (12-3)
Tries: -/Stephen Hihetah, Constantin Ene
Conversions: -/Luke Samoa (2)
Penalties: Florin Vlaicu (5)/Luke Samoa
Man of the match: Ranuku Nemia Serelevu (Farul)

A very ugly match. Farul almost got a very surprising victory but they played in 13 in the last 10 minutes due to a red and a yellow, conceding two tries as a result. They still could have won at the death when Vlaicu narrowly missed a penalty kick.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 14:04

CSM Bucuresti - RCM Timisoara 12-36 (0-10)
Tries: Andrei Filip, Johnny Sola / Daniel Carpo (2), Jack Umaga, Catalin Fercu, Gabriel Conache
Conversions: Marian Ispir / Gabriel Conache (4)
Penalties: - / Gabriel Conache

This was a very nice match with both sides playing fast running rugby. The hosts suffered a lot due to indiscipline (I think they got a total of 5 yellow cards). Lock Cosmin Ratiu and flanker Adrian Ion were both starters for CSM Bucuresti.

U Cluj - Dinamo 24-22 (17-16)
Tries: Ionut Dimofte, McGrath Van Wyk, Constantin Rosu / Cosmin Stan
Conversions: Ionut Dimofte (3) / Teodor Nitu
Penalties: Ionut Dimofte / Teodor Nitu (5)

First victory for U Cluj and the first point for Dinamo. I haven't seen the match but this is a much closer victory than I expected. Dinamo's youngsters seem to be improving.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 18:54

Results from the second day of the Barlad 7s tournament:

Romania - Moldova 29-5
Romania U19 - Moldova U19 24-0
Romania U19 - Poland U19 5-7
Moldova - Poland 5-27
Poland U19 - Moldova U19 29-0
Romania - Poland 21-14
Romania U19 - Poland U19 26-0
Romania U19 - Moldova U19 47-0
Romania - Poland 21-7

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Rugbyisnice » Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 21:24

How friendly is Romanian rugby to foreign players trying to play in Romania?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 21:37

Rugbyisnice wrote:How friendly is Romanian rugby to foreign players trying to play in Romania?

There are loads of foreign players already. Mostly Pacific Islanders, because they are good and cheap, but also Namibians, Englishmen, NZers, Georgians, Moldovans, and I think there are some South Africans too. The federation actually imposed some limits regarding the number of foreigners allowed each game this year as things were starting to get out of hand, but there are still plenty of spots available for foreigners. The fans are generally happy about the foreigners as they lift up the strength of our championship and expose the Romanian players to a better standard of game. If some North Americans wanted to get a pro contract here I'm sure they could do it if they were good enough.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 21:52

iul wrote:
Rugbyisnice wrote:How friendly is Romanian rugby to foreign players trying to play in Romania?

There are loads of foreign players already. Mostly Pacific Islanders, because they are good and cheap, but also Namibians, Englishmen, NZers, Georgians, Moldovans, and I think there are some South Africans too. The federation actually imposed some limits regarding the number of foreigners allowed each game this year as things were starting to get out of hand, but there are still plenty of spots available for foreigners. The fans are generally happy about the foreigners as they lift up the strength of our championship and expose the Romanian players to a better standard of game. If some North Americans wanted to get a pro contract here I'm sure they could do it if they were good enough.

There are 12 tongans, 7 sth africans, 7 NZers, 7 fijians, 7 moldovans, 3 namibians, 2 australians, 2 english (including Hihetah), 2 georgians (including Turashvili), 1 samoan, 1 french and 1 tunisian in the Super Liga

The limit of foreign players is : 10 from 23-men squad, maximum 8 in the same time on the ground

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby HMFCalltheway » Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 22:26

There are 12 tongans, 7 sth africans, 7 NZers, 7 fijians, 7 moldovans, 3 namibians, 2 australians, 2 english (including Hihetah), 2 georgians (including Turashvili), 1 samoan, 1 french and 1 tunisian in the Super Liga

And a Hungarian (Daniel Gheta) at U Cluj.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 22:29

HMFCalltheway wrote:

Yes. I think he is romanian but capped for Hungary

National Flag:

Postby Rugbyisnice » Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 02:06

iul wrote:

Thanks for the info guys. It seems like it could be a good avenue for North Americans to pursue in lieu of some of the stronger nations. I think a lot of people have a hard time taking chances with American/Canadian based players. Not that Romanian rugby isn't strong but not as developed, and a cheaper place to take a chance.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 04:31

Rugbyisnice wrote:
iul wrote:

Thanks for the info guys. It seems like it could be a good avenue for North Americans to pursue in lieu of some of the stronger nations. I think a lot of people have a hard time taking chances with American/Canadian based players. Not that Romanian rugby isn't strong but not as developed, and a cheaper place to take a chance.

More likely it's not really considered because the wages are low and it's a much bigger cultural adjustment going there than to a Western and/or English speaking nation.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 06:14

beber wrote:
HMFCalltheway wrote:

Yes. I think he is romanian but capped for Hungary

I think that's the case, as the name is too Romanian sounding.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 06:15

Coloradoan wrote:
Rugbyisnice wrote:
iul wrote:

More likely it's not really considered because the wages are low and it's a much bigger cultural adjustment going there than to a Western and/or English speaking nation.

Some of our best players are rumored to earn about 30k euro / year. Taking into consideration the lower cost of living that would probably be about the same as they'd earn in the ProD2/RFU Champ.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 07:18

Gheta is a Romanian who has played for the Hungarian national team. A very minor correction to beber's list of foreigners: there are two French players in the league, both at Cluj, they also have a guy named Victor Cousolle (no idea what position he plays on or where he came from) in the extended squad.

The Superliga could be an option for US/Canada players who want to start their pro career somewhere. As Coloradoan said, the wages are low (but iul is right, this is compensated by the much lower living costs compared to Western Europe) and there are cultural differences. But there are English, NZ and Australian players who have adapted well here, so I don't see why the North Americans couldn't do it as well.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 15:27

CSM Bucuresti vs RCM Timisoara highlights (made by a Timisoara guy so they only include their tries):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLAjbHc ... ture=share

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Tue, 29 Apr 2014, 16:14

The partnership between RCM Timisoara and Saracens has been officially announced. The Romanian club will not change its name or colours. Saracens will assist with know-how in various fields (but mainly in training and junior development). A player exchange has also been mentioned for the future. Saracens director Edward Griffiths said that he wants Timisoara to be strong enough to play in the RCC in ten years as a result of this partnership. He also hopes to see in the future a new system for the 6N: three divisions with promotion and relegation between them.

Also, RCM Timisoara will return on the Dan Paltinisanu Stadium for the match against Steaua on May 31 and play every home match there until the end of the season. This means that their match against U Cluj on Sunday will be the last on the Gheorghe Rascanu Stadium this year.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Tue, 29 Apr 2014, 16:55

dragos03 wrote:Also, RCM Timisoara will return on the Dan Paltinisanu Stadium for the match against Steaua on May 31 and play every home match there until the end of the season. This means that their match against U Cluj on Sunday will be the last on the Gheorghe Rascanu Stadium this year.

That's not how I read the news. They said they can play there when their matches don't clash with the football team's matches, by which I think they mean the football team is in its off season. I think the football championship probably starts again in September, so Timisoara might have to play on the small stadium again, for its last few matches.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum