Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Romanian Rugby

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Romanian Rugby

Postby Bogdan_DC » Sat, 19 May 2018, 18:19

Dude, I was cheering for TM but your whining about refs is terrible. Hope you realize that Capatana deserved a red not a yellow and knowing Rus disciplinary issues probably he really gouged Burcea.
About the game: TM didn’t give a chance to CSM. If they only played like this in Challenge...It looks like Chester Williams works his magic again.
About Steaua-BM: I feel for Steaua but their inexperience lost this game.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby efti » Sat, 19 May 2018, 19:06

Watch the games and then talk about whining. I didn’t know that stating the obvious is considered whining. Unfortunately, Romanian sports have this refereeing problem since before I was born, and Ceaușescu wasn’t president. Additionally, rugby is a game were the ref can determine the outcome of almost any game without being caught offside. And good Romanian referees, like Vlad Iordăchescu, have made an art out of it. Căpățână got lucky, whiteout Savin slipping, it probably would have been a red. But it doesn’t change the fact that Timișoara was so much better. The last game won by CSM in Timișoara, Vlad was such a disgrace. The problem is that the FRR never embraced the Timișoara project. Maybe, with a little support instead of constant robbing, they wouldn’t have failed twice to reach the Challenge Cup. The whole rugby federation is corrupt, and Apjok is one of the best sforari.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Semifinals 2018

Postby luca tim » Sat, 19 May 2018, 19:11

efti wrote:.......
the second game, CSM Bucuresti - Timisoara, was not close at all. Timisoara was was the clearly better team, more settled and mature, and if they would have not butchered 2 tries in the second half, through Morisson and Fercu, they would have completly run away with the game. It shows again that the Romanian referees were playing for CSM in the regular season. I think, with time and money, CSM can build a good team, but today they didn't stand a chance against Timisoara.
It would be nice if next year more teams from Romania - at least 2, maybe up to 4, would play internationally and try to reach the challenge cup.
It was nice to see good and impartial refs, and that the players, mostly, respected the decisions.
Good rugby day for Romania.

Man, you've said better than I would have. It happens that I'm in Bucharest at the moment and I've attended the match.... a bit dissapointed about the attendance, I was expecting more spectators than in Timisoara....

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 20 May 2018, 07:56

Oh, the whiners from Timisoara hit again.

Maybe you can explain these matches as well trough refs' decisions?

https://www.super-liga.ro/informatii-meci/?im=4393
https://www.super-liga.ro/informatii-meci/?im=4411
https://www.super-liga.ro/informatii-meci/?im=4403

And how was when CSM lost vs Baia Mare due to 3 tries rejected by TMO ?
Because I didn't heard anything about refs when these matches were played and failing to win against Steaua and Dinamo's kindergartens is entirely due to club's administrative inability to assure a technical staff good enough to obtain the best out of the squad they have.

Instead of whining about refs you should question the club why the discipline is so abysmal on and off the field. This is a fact observed by everybody else except some of Timisoara's fans. Yesterday Timisoara's players were to fight between themselves.

No question it was the best team yesterday but for the rest of Romanian rugby fans the issues of discipline and lack of leadership from the offices of the club it is obvious. It is becoming tiresome to watch them fail in Shield repeatedly despite the quality of the team.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby luca tim » Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:23

Man, it's such a pitty all the other teams, with their spartan discipline and boosting their talent year by year, still don't get to play in the Shield! Maybe Baia Mare gets a chance this year, after all that team is Timisoara's true and constant opponent!
I would suggest to the federation, just to punish the lack of discipline, not to select any player from Timisoara for thw national team, starting right now, for the next... 2 years let's say... I'm sure they are inducing a bad atmosphere in the team....

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby luca tim » Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:36

amz wrote:Oh, the whiners from Timisoara hit again.

Maybe you can explain these matches as well trough refs' decisions?

https://www.super-liga.ro/informatii-meci/?im=4393
https://www.super-liga.ro/informatii-meci/?im=4411
https://www.super-liga.ro/informatii-meci/?im=4403

Nobody needs to explain anything. There are better and worse matches. But in the final phase of the regular tournament, when it is very important whether you finish second or third (you get to play the semifinal home or away), when you have the Cup semifinal scheduled exactly the moment you have 7 players at the national team... that reeks from miles away! I think that if it weren't for recent scandal with the disquallification from the WRC, we would have seen good old Vlad on the field, refereing! I liked though how CSM organized the game in any detail, they've brought some adolescents to chant on the terraces like in football games. They were even chanting about rugby, but seeing through their cigarette smoke and hearing them asking why the line referees are going to the posts before tranformation of a try, I take it they weren't exactly the next generation or CSM rugby players... Fortunately, I chose to go to the other side of the field for the second half, even with the prospect of rain coming, just to get rid of that mascarade.
As for CSM, I'm sure they have the proper person to "whine" at the proper ear, whenever it it necessary!
Last edited by luca tim on Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:47

about Cup, all other teams had players to national team

I don't understand this:

But in the final phase of the regular tournament, when it is very important whether you finish second or third (you get to play the semifinal home or away)

So you are basically saying the ref has to be correct and support Timisoara? :shock: What if the game was bad? I mean, we all observed the lack of form. Just have a look at the matches from Continental Shield. Or they were not interested anymore of the respective competition, as is the rumor?

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:48

Any chance to see both Constanta & Buzau promoted in Super Liga next season?
Both teams looks strong and includes a lot former Super Liga players and several foreign players

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:51

They are making efforts and there is hope but the pen have to touch the paper first.

Here is the full match:
https://www.privesc.eu/arhiva/82336

Tomitanii had a great comeback. Awesome for such a young team.

Also for new teams joining DNS (National Seniors Division) which is the second tier competiton:

Poli Iasi will likely rebuild a team to join
Gura Humorului will also sign up a senior team in DN. This is a small city in northern part of Romania who gave many Oaks: Lucaci (Steaua), Dascalu (Steaua), Nistor (Albi), Mihai Macovei (Colomiers), Plai (Steaua)
Molodovan Rugby Federation have the intention to sign up a franchise team in DNS.
Last edited by amz on Sun, 20 May 2018, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby luca tim » Sun, 20 May 2018, 09:02

amz wrote:about Cup, all other teams had players to national team

I don't understand this:

But in the final phase of the regular tournament, when it is very important whether you finish second or third (you get to play the semifinal home or away)

So you are basically saying the ref has to be correct and support Timisoara? :shock: What if the game was bad? I mean, we all observed the lack of form. Just have a look at the matches from Continental Shield. Or they were not interested anymore of the respective competition, as is the rumor?

I think you know very well what I'm trying to say. The referee is supposed to a award the 3 fechin points when the ball goes through the posts. The referee is supposed to give the fechin yellow card when whistles a freekick for punching (oh, he did that for csm immediately in the second half, when Timisoara was closing), the fechin referee is not necesarely supposed to stop the game when a player is in danger, which he didn't for Luiters being almost unconscious, he did it though in the last minutes, to stop a phase for Timisoara when a CSM player was lying on the ground but not necessarely badly injured, judging that after 2 minutes he was back on the field (mr. Iordachescu made the effort to mimic that he was stopping the player to swallow his tongue though, which is a very humane gesture).
Now, I'd really like to write more but I have a plane to catch a writing on the phone is killing me.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 20 May 2018, 09:08

Luiters was never unconscious, anyway not unsconscious enough to stop him screaming "f***** c***" right after the hit :) as for the rest, you basically bitchin around about things that happens in all matches. As for the kick, I am not convinced even today what it was so I am giving credit to the two refs which were standing under the posts (not Iordachescu). If you see where the ball is touching the field, you realize it may not be between the posts and was just a visual illusion. I watched the phase from various angles and I am not convinced even today if it was 3 pts or not.

Oh and attendance was around 2500 (main stand was full) which means few times more than usual few hundreds from Timisoara that showed up at Continental Shield matches.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby luca tim » Sun, 20 May 2018, 11:54

amz wrote:Oh and attendance was around 2500 (main stand was full) which means few times more than usual few hundreds from Timisoara that showed up at Continental Shield matches.

Yea, just subtract one sector and a half filled with teenagers brought by buses, each on signature before and after the game, subtract the central sectors filled with officials, friends of officials, other players and families and other "rugby" people. Given the fact that it happens in a city with 3 mil. people each day, living or travelling, compared to a city of half a mil. living or travelling... hmmm the proportion is about the same..

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 20 May 2018, 11:58

Sorry to intervene in an all-Romanian discussion, but I don't really get why free tickets or kids invited to games get so much criticism when evaluating attendance. Rugby in Tier 2 and Tier 3 countries desperately needs asses on the seats, it doesn't matter how they come.

It's important to be relevant, to create custom, to convince new fans...

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby luca tim » Sun, 20 May 2018, 12:31

Yes, for sure, I don't want to take the discussion too much further, my point was that they seemed to be brought there not necessarely because they asked for it... half of them were with their eyes on the phones, and the rest had their eyes on anything but on rugby. From time to time there was one coming and asking them to stand and start chanting some sort of kid songs which ussually are heard on the fotball games in Romania, with the original words replaced by whatever is necessary. The good thing is that maybe some of them will eventually find an interest in rugby... otherwise seemed like communist times, people brought to cheer for other people. They weren't like some sports club who decided to watch a new sport or whatever. And for the first half of the game I was right next to them as I came earlier with a friend and sat before they arrived.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby efti » Sun, 20 May 2018, 13:22

Luca, let’s not start fights that are not worth fighting. Unfortunately in Timișoara the attendance is lousy even on the big stadium and with free entry. I know that in the late 80 and early 90 there used to be more (4-6 Ted.) but I was disappointed the times i could make it to the games - I live in Germany nowadays. Actually, the only time I remember a full house is 4-5 years ago in a game against BM in Ronaț. Last autumn I was at games against Steaua and another one and I was disappointed, there seemed to be max 2000 people on Dan Pāltinișanu. Truth is București, Constanța and Baia Mare are more rugby cities then Timișoara. Timișoara got lucky that Dinu got pissed of in Arad and took his toys to Timișoara. There seem to be some problems in Timișoara too, the way they missed the Challenge Cup twice is alarming and hopefully a wake up call. The way some players were happy to leave and let go last year was troubling... Still Timișoara was a bright spot for Romanian rugby in this last 10 years, it helped the national team a great way and should be treated like equals by the FRR.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby efti » Sun, 20 May 2018, 13:25

@Armchair fan. Don’t apologize, you are welcome. We tend to fight and forget that we all want what’s best for Romanian rugby. You are right, we need more buts at rugby no matter how!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 22 May 2018, 19:30

England Counties to tour Romania and play vs Romania A and Romania U23.

http://www.englandrugby.com/news/englan ... one-rugby/

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 24 May 2018, 10:28

Romania A squad for match vs England Counties:

Props:
Alexandru Savin (CSM Bucuresti)
Marius Lungu (CSA Steaua)
Ionel Badiu (Timisoara Saracens)
Alexandru Gordas (CSA Steaua)
Silviu Suciu (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)

Hookers:
Tudor Butnariu (CSA Steaua)
Alexandru Oancea (CSM Bucuresti)
Florin Bardasu (CSM (Stiinta Baia Mare)

Locks:
Stefan Iancu (CSM Bucuresti)
Dorin Lazar (Timisoara Saracens)
Florian Rosu (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Marian Drenceanu (Timisoara Saracens)
Kamil Sobota (CSM Bucuresti)

Backrow:
Cristian Chirica (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Vlad Neculau (Timisoara Saracens)
Damian Stratila (CSA Steaua)
Silviu Gradinaru (CS Dinamo)

Scrum-half:
Gabriel Rupanu (Timisoara Saracens)
Andrei Ballok (U Cluj)
Tudorel Bratu (CSM Bucuresti)

Fly-half:
Tudor Boldor (CSA Steaua)
George Oprea (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)

Centers:
Stefan Cucos (CS Tomitanii)
Ionut Balaban (Dinamo)
Florin Ionita (CSA Steaua)

Wings:
Alexandru Porojan (CSA Steaua)
Mihai Lamboiu (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Marian Apostol (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)

Fullback:

Ionut Botezatu (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)

Few veterans who didn't catch the Oaks in last two years (except Badiu) but otherwise a very young squad.

No head coach announced yet.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby luca tim » Sat, 26 May 2018, 18:52

"Surprisingly" Timisoara won again... the title!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 26 May 2018, 19:50

luca tim wrote:"Surprisingly" Timisoara won again... the title!

Congrats! but it was with proper coaching, something Timisoara seem to not be aware what it means if it is not Chester. Yet I want to see this for the entire duration of the season and don't bow for financial reasons.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Caledor » Wed, 30 May 2018, 12:36

Romanian Rugby Chat:

1) I heard that Dinamo Buchuresti is in financial trouble and may go into liquidation? They haven't paid players for months? What is going on in Romanian club rugby now? Iasi and Cluj were in trouble.

2) CSM Baia Mare should have beaten Timisoara but now 2nd year in a row there were individuals who cost them the game. CSM Baia Mare president is a nutter too. After the game he was threatening players wage deductions and all sorts if they went out after the game. Crazy man.

3) I think Steaua Buchuresti and CSM Buchuresti are getting stronger. For me, Eugen Apjok is a really good coach and one of the up and should be part of the national teams.

4) Romania National team is going to be worse after next year RWC 2019. In last 2018 Rugby Europe Championship squad of 30, there were 29 players 25 years old or older. 19 players were 30 years old or older. Basically, there are about 9 players in that squad who would be fit and in condition enough and still not too old to try and be a core squad players for the 2023 RWC. Really shows weaknesses in the national succession planning and it is sad. It would be excellent to see the Oaks always be competitive.

5) If Romania won their appeal what would happen for RWC 2019 qualification?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 30 May 2018, 12:40

Caledor wrote:5) If Romania won their appeal what would happen for RWC 2019 qualification?

They were Europe1 before the events, they would be Europe1 again. I expect Russia going to court though, if that decision was reversed.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 30 May 2018, 13:01

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Caledor wrote:5) If Romania won their appeal what would happen for RWC 2019 qualification?

They were Europe1 before the events, they would be Europe1 again. I expect Russia going to court though, if that decision was reversed.

This is impossible. None of the parties can go in other court regardless of the final decision.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Wed, 30 May 2018, 16:43

Caledor wrote:Romanian Rugby Chat:

1) I heard that Dinamo Buchuresti is in financial trouble and may go into liquidation? They haven't paid players for months? What is going on in Romanian club rugby now? Iasi and Cluj were in trouble.

2) CSM Baia Mare should have beaten Timisoara but now 2nd year in a row there were individuals who cost them the game. CSM Baia Mare president is a nutter too. After the game he was threatening players wage deductions and all sorts if they went out after the game. Crazy man.

3) I think Steaua Buchuresti and CSM Buchuresti are getting stronger. For me, Eugen Apjok is a really good coach and one of the up and should be part of the national teams.

4) Romania National team is going to be worse after next year RWC 2019. In last 2018 Rugby Europe Championship squad of 30, there were 29 players 25 years old or older. 19 players were 30 years old or older. Basically, there are about 9 players in that squad who would be fit and in condition enough and still not too old to try and be a core squad players for the 2023 RWC. Really shows weaknesses in the national succession planning and it is sad. It would be excellent to see the Oaks always be competitive.

1). Nothing new about Dinamo. The self destruct every... 2-3 years. We will have two new teams in the Superliga. Soo good things are going on there.
2). They shouldn't have beaten Timisoara. They just weren't the better team, not even during the season. The were worse talent-wise and the guys in charge there are VERY weird.
3). Yeah those are in my opinion the best teams. Apjok probably will we part of the next coaching staff but i never liked him as a coach. His teams have been shit in big deciding games the past.... 4-5 years.
4). We have good young players who are under 25. Most of them have caps on the national team, sure not regulars, because the plan was to go with the old boys to Japan. So we might be bad the next 2 years, but i'm not worried, we have somewhat of a cycle until the guys gel and get older toghether. We lost to russia and portugal in 2009 when most of the core old guys from now were younger. I honestly haven't been as excited to see the younger guys like ever... we don't have promissing centres. The other positions are ok.
5). We shouldn't waste time thinking about the impossible.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 30 May 2018, 16:43

1) I heard that Dinamo Buchuresti is in financial trouble and may go into liquidation? They haven't paid players for months? What is going on in Romanian club rugby now? Iasi and Cluj were in trouble.[/quote]

Dinamo have this issues every year, the head of the multi sports club don't like rugby. I think they will join next Super Liga for sure. Liquidation for sure not, maybe a relegation to DNS but I doubt it. Iasi was a different issue and U Cluj managed to recover themselves.

Sometimes presidents of Baia Mare, Timisoara and even CSM act like at football. However, BM have a long history already of losing finals...

I like Dan Dumbrava from Steaua more than Apjok. Steaua managed to finish the regular season of SuperLiga on top, with only two loses despite the fact that they had a very young team and kept only 2 foreign experienced players for the return leg (Vueti, Kuselo) and Dumbrava was at his first year as Head coach. The backline is all Romanian and very young and held well or scored spectacular tries very much stronger sides on paper. Two of their main decision makers are under 22 (Boldor at FH and Melinte at FB), other young backs as Bencea, Stratila or Porojan and they have also young forwards (Gordas, Doroftei, Stratila) who looked very good. Lucaci their captain was injured since last year so they had to pump in young blood.

CSM is another story, they have quite low cohesion because they signed many players this season and I highlight here new sensation wing Nicholas Onutu (23yo) who scored 5 tries if I am not mistaken in 4 matches, young back Prunaru (24yo) who got into the team regularly before better rated backs, foreign ones included, prop Savin (23) or scrum-half Bratu (25) who established himself well before more experienced options such as Calafeateanu. But Apjok didn't managed to get a win vs Steaua's kindergarten I lost count of how many finals he lost. In the big final, young flanker Neculau (Timisoara) or Chirica (Baia Mare) were among the best on the field. Which brings me to the next subject:

Players used vs Samoa and Tonga in November:

Props:
Lazar
Tarus
Ursache
Gordas (23)
Badiu (28) - 34 yo in 2023

Hookers:
Radoi
Cojocaru (22)
Bardasu (26)

Locks:
Van Heerden
Poparlan
Antonescu (25)
Muresan (23)
Motoc (20)

Backrow:
Nistor (24)
Chirica (21)
Burcea
Macovei
Gorcioaia
Kuselo

SH:
Surugiu
Bratu (26)

FH:
Vlaicu

Centers:
Kinikinilau
Fakaosilea
Umaga

Back three:
Fonovai (28) - he'd be 34, same age as Kvirikashvili
Dumitru (25)
Simionescu (21)

For a team that was still to qualify to RWC I think is a decent number of players who can make it to 2023. I mean, this group still prepared 2019 back then so it's normal to use experienced players mainly

I don't quite get your question, could you please be more specific?
Last edited by amz on Thu, 31 May 2018, 06:52, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum