Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Romanian Rugby

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Romanian Rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 06:10

Neptune wrote:What is going on in Romania?

Why aren't players being paid?

What is going on in Kenya?
Why are no sources and clubs to be found in your posts?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 06:27

Some clubs have financial issues, Timisoara and Steaua although with the former it expected to be solved soon. Not all the players have due salaries to take just from some clubs.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 07:45

RugbyLiebe wrote:

Just to make it clear, the source is this tweet
https://twitter.com/IntRugbyPlayers/sta ... 8855835648

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 08:26

Armchair Fan wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

Just to make it clear, the source is this tweet
https://twitter.com/IntRugbyPlayers/sta ... 8855835648

Yeah we know it, we share it on fans social media pages as well. Two clubs have financial problems which they are trying to solve. Union don't have the means to interfere.

I am sick of odd Spanish fan or even neutral one popping on every thread, chat or social media cursing Romanian cheaters and Iordachescu. The chat from U20 youtube chann was full of offenses to Romania in general (rugby, country, fans) from Spanish posters (Paquito, Pabliton, Diego, Pedro etc.)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 09:23

I understand it, but I can't hold the horses...

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 10:39

Armchair Fan wrote:I understand it, but I can't hold the horses...

I know buddy, wasn't a remark toward you. I was pissed because I was looking on youtube at our match and that was the subject of discussion from minute 5 on chat.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 11:11

And regarding what happens with these unpaid players. It isn't a good look, but unfortunately it isn't something unusual in professional sports. You find dozens of cases in Spanish football and basketball leagues, so even though I get it's players' association duty to ring the alarm it would be stupid to scapegoat Romania for that.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Tue, 04 Sep 2018, 09:59

Yeah the youtube chat was full of ****hole comments by supposed Spaniards. Embarrassing
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

Postby 4N » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 14:00

When would it be fair to say that SuperLiga hasn’t delivered the promised improvements at youth level? IMO Romania should set up a national academy (U23 side) and play a schedule vs good teams from Western Europe, French espoirs sides etc. Otherwise I worry the Oaks could go into decline once the current generation of players aged 30+ retire.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 14:03

Is Superliga's duty to deliver improvements at youth level? It may or may not happen, but it's a little bit naive to think that a professional league based on clubs has underage competitions as one of its targets.

Shots should be first fired at FRR, then maybe clubs. The latter will always try to perform well at the lowest possible cost and that implies bringing overseas players rather than investing on local kids that may or may not be good enough. Only FRR can enforce laws to prevent this logical approach from clubs POV and promote rugby practice from amateur perspective: hey people, you can also play rugby just for fun, spend your money in the sport, etc...

Postby 4N » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 14:13

I’m not the one who claimed SuperLiga would rejuvenate Romanian youth rugby. It was quite obvious it would become a home for third-rate players who couldn’t make it in their home nations. Which it has.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 14:22

But it does allow too the few Romanians with decent level at U18 and U20 to keep improving after that age, while their counterparts from other European nations remain amateur or stop playing rugby. A national team composes itself of player born in more than two particular years. Even in this awful U20 Romanian side there are two or three guys that will become good enough.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 15:03

4N wrote:When would it be fair to say that SuperLiga hasn’t delivered the promised improvements at youth level? IMO Romania should set up a national academy (U23 side) and play a schedule vs good teams from Western Europe, French espoirs sides etc. Otherwise I worry the Oaks could go into decline once the current generation of players aged 30+ retire.

We will decline and it's normal. 2009 we got beat by Portugal and Russia then in 2011, 2012 we got beat by Portugal, Spain. Superliga is great. It profesionalized the countries top tier. It was never meant in my opinion to improve the youth as a whole but to promote SOME (A FEW) good young players. Which it has.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Sick » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 15:04

4N wrote:I’m not the one who claimed SuperLiga would rejuvenate Romanian youth rugby. It was quite obvious it would become a home for third-rate players who couldn’t make it in their home nations. Which it has.

How is that a bad thing?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 15:05

Right now we are still alive because of Superliga. Superliga it is ok like idea&concept but our rugby is not. We are struggling in almost all sports as a country, especially in men team sports. And yes i am optimistic about few strong U20 players, they will be good Pro players soon. But it is enough to produce every year few forwards? It was ok in the past but i don't think it will be ok in the future.
Still, FRR looks paralyzed after the shock of exclusion from World Cup. They looks like they are trying to fly under the radar to escape fans&press scrutiny about their own responsibility in Faka case.It is very stupid because they won't.
Canada will beat the shit of us on Sunday at U20s. Timisoara will be destroyed in Challenge cup, their situation is not pretty at all. They lost lot of players and their sugar daddy. I predict a disaster in this year Challenge Cup for Timisoara. I am very happy that we didn't played Portugal in June because everybody was down and i thing that we had a big chance to relegate. Now probably the France players will come in November and save the day.At least i hope so...
And yes we are going deeper in the hole day by day and this lack of reaction by FRR it isn't helping at all.We are in crisis and we didn't hit the bottom i'm afraid.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 17:28

So, in every nation in the world it seems the professional teams have youth and senior academies. Does SuperLiga not have age grade programs? Because 9 select sides in an age grade competition say U16, U17, and U18 would grow the game a bit I'd think.
Last edited by TheStroBro on Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 17:38

TheStroBro wrote:So, in every nation in the world it seems the professional teams have youth and senior academies. Does SuperLiga not have age great programs? Because 9 select sides in an age grade competition say U16, U17, and U18 would grow the game a bit I'd think.

Last year the national U20 championship had 3 teams. That should tell you enough about the "emphasis" on junior rugby in Romania.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 17:50

Sick wrote:
4N wrote:I’m not the one who claimed SuperLiga would rejuvenate Romanian youth rugby. It was quite obvious it would become a home for third-rate players who couldn’t make it in their home nations. Which it has.

How is that a bad thing?

Because the clubs aren't focusing on growing kids.
I remember two things that annoyed me about this... first was when a high ranking Farul Constanta admin was whining in the media that "there's nobody coming from behind", as if the next generation of players is some sort of natural fenomenon he had no control over, and the second was when the former sugardaddy of Timisoara was said on the Romanian forum it's the local authorities job to promote rugby among kids in the city. I mean, come on... 90% of the pro clubs' budgets are money they got from the local authorities, their priority should be to grow the game within their community, not to bring in 3rd rate foreigners in an attempt to finish one spot higher than the other club that is living on public money and not growing the game.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 17:51

Armchair Fan wrote:Is Superliga's duty to deliver improvements at youth level? It may or may not happen, but it's a little bit naive to think that a professional league based on clubs has underage competitions as one of its targets.

They're living off of public money. Growing the next generation of kids should absolutely be a priority for them.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 17:56

No money?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 17:57

iul wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:Is Superliga's duty to deliver improvements at youth level? It may or may not happen, but it's a little bit naive to think that a professional league based on clubs has underage competitions as one of its targets.

They're living off of public money. Growing the next generation of kids should absolutely be a priority for them.

But that's town halls responsibility. Over here, they used to gift tons of money to sporting clubs just because they contributed to the good image of the cities, pushed tourism forward... Crisis struck and these times were gone. Now contracts signed between clubs and town halls include a certain amount of community activities.

Clubs once they have turned professional won't do it bona fide, it's up to those giving away public money to force them.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 20:44

I can’t speak to Superliga and Romanian rugby specifically because I don’t really know how it functions, however it’s in every clubs best interests to have a youth side especially if it’s in a place where people don’t typically move away from. I don’t know if that’s the case there but here in NYC tons of players come and go so there’s less of a priority than in other places where people grow up and stay in the area. Having a youth aide can also be very cheap with little work if done properly (but clubs will ideally contribute more time and money towards them if possible).

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 08 Sep 2018, 01:37

I hope this gets turned around soon, Romanian rugby has had some dark periods in the past and that cannot be allowed to happen again.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 07:53

TOMORROW [frr.ro]

CONFERINTA DE PRESA
Data si ora: miercuri, 12 septembrie, ora 11:00
Locul: sediul Federatiei Romane de Rugby
Detalii: in cadrul conferintei de presa va fi prezentat noul antrenor principal al echipei de seniori a Romaniei

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 07:58

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:TOMORROW [frr.ro]

CONFERINTA DE PRESA
Data si ora: miercuri, 12 septembrie, ora 11:00
Locul: sediul Federatiei Romane de Rugby
Detalii: in cadrul conferintei de presa va fi prezentat noul antrenor principal al echipei de seniori a Romaniei

Thomas Lievremont. The only good news in months for our rugby.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum