Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Romanian Rugby

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Romanian Rugby

Postby dans » Fri, 18 Oct 2019, 11:50

amz wrote:That was quite a surprise win.

However, U Cluj's margins against top teams lowered considerably in last two years and they won duels with Dinamo, Tomitanii or Buzau so an improvement was noticeable. But with all that, nobody expected them to win vs Timisoara and people rightly question this and rumors arise about delayed salaries (which is seems is not the issue since a significant portion of the due ones was paid recently, at least this is what I hear from Timisoara but I might be wrong is just hearsay).

Ghenea seem to get a lot of trust there and he enjoys himself. He come back also for school, [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babeș-Bolyai_University]Babeș-Bolyai University[/url] which is a great school.

Exciting opportunity for young players at Cluj...they get more playing time than anywhere else and able to continue their studies. I think Ghenea made a wise choice in the summer that will benefit him later on.

At Timisoara something is brewing inside the club, they are unlikely to go any lower than 3rd, but no higher either. So waiting for playoff time in the late spring. They may have a go at the Cup to get some silverware for the club this year.

If Buzau want to make a statement of intent, tomorrow home game against Steaua will be the right time. Tomitanii have the most work to do if they are to keep pace. And Dinamo will comeback after a slow start of the season.

Great to hear Stiinta Petrosani may consider stepping up in the Superliga next year. I think for the next 2-3 years there is space for an 8 team Championship...hopefully going to 10 teams by 2027 (I am thinking Iasi as a place with huge tradition and maybe CSM Bucuresti rebirth!). In the meantime the quality of play and coaching must increase in the top tier and development must continue to grow in the second tier to 12 teams with a promotion/relegation outcome ...to focus interest.
It will only work if FRR lead underage / junior development and it continues with a step-up in making public interested again in the sport...

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Sat, 26 Oct 2019, 18:33

Last round in Romanian Superliga CEC Bank (round 9) before winter break (they return at begining of April 2020):

Timisoara Saracens - CS Dinamo Bucuresti 32-29 (17-17)
Played midweek - Timisoara won but din not convince...A Melinte penalty at the end gave them the victory. Dinamo had a very good game
in Timisoara and could have ended up with more than just a defensive bonus point.
Good debut for I. Melinte (at full back position today) for Timisoara after 5 months off due to injury.

CS U Cluj Prodvinalco - ACS Tomitanii Constanta 40-34 (14-21)
First point in the league this season for Tomitanii (a defensive bonus point), although they had a good game and probably should have left Cluj with their first win. It's good their game improved and with a 4-5 more recruits in the winter they'll add some points on the standings table.

CSA Steaua Bucuresti - CSM Stiinta Baia Mare 19-20 (3-10)
The derby ended with the champions win away in Bucharest. Steaua was leading 19-13 with 5 minutes of play left. Baia Mare wing David Feliuai scored a try at the centre with seconds left on the clock, easy conversion...and Baia Mare now have won all their games in the league this first half season..

Steaua Bucuresti: 15.Neagu, 14.Porojan, 13.Cokanauto Elia Morisio, 12.Vlaicu, 11.I.Dumitru, 10.Boldor, 9.Surugiu, 1.Balan, 2.Butnariu,
3.Nika Pataraya, 4.Matthew Tweddle, 5.Doroftei, 6.Kuselo Moyake, 7.D.Ser, 8.Eseria Vueti [C]
Rezerve: 16.Bardasu, 17.Badalicescu, 18.Savin, 19.Rusu, 20.Lucaci, 21.Diaconescu, 22.Plai, 23.Ionită
Coach Team: D.Dumbrava, M.Mihalache

C.S.M. Stiinta Baia Mare: 15.D.Manole, 14.David Feliuai, 13.Jason Tomane, 12.Sione Fakaosilea, 11.Taliauli Sikuea, 10.Ratu Maravunawasawasa, 9.Helarius Kisting, 1.Pristavita, 2.Oancea, 3.Revazi Dugladze, 4.M.Danila [C], 5.Dumani Mtya, 6.Rosu, 7.Jacob Immelman, 8.C. Chirica
Rezerve: 16.Cojocaru, 17.Hartig, 18.Nica, 19.Dico, 20.Alexe, 21.Tigla, 22.Botezatu, 23.Popoaia
Coach team: E.Apjok, P. Rusu

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby novac » Mon, 28 Oct 2019, 09:12

[/quote] Great to hear Stiinta Petrosani may consider stepping up in the Superliga next year. I think for the next 2-3 years there is space for an 8 team Championship...hopefully going to 10 teams by 2027 (I am thinking Iasi as a place with huge tradition and maybe CSM Bucuresti rebirth!). In the meantime the quality of play and coaching must increase in the top tier and development must continue to grow in the second tier to 12 teams with a promotion/relegation outcome ...to focus interest.
It will only work if FRR lead underage / junior development and it continues with a step-up in making public interested again in the sport...[/quote]

Yes, Petrosani seems to get closer to the Super League. I would like to see also Navodari, Galati and Barlad completing the league until the next RWC in 2023. And of course, why not the revival of other traditional teams, like Iasi. It will be very important in the next years to get more support from local people (financial mainly). It was so sad to see at a national team match only a couple of hundreds supporters in Cluj Arena. Maybe in Botosani Stadium they were more because of closer Suceava and Iasi rugby communities, although in Cluj and Baia Mare there are two strong Super League teams.
Don't rely too much in FRR. They will not help to improve rugby in any community. They couldn't do much even for the national Team, see the last RWC qualification history. Au contraire, they made it worse by calling foreign players to the national team that were not allowed to play.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Tue, 29 Oct 2019, 12:53

novac wrote:...
Yes, Petrosani seems to get closer to the Super League. I would like to see also Navodari, Galati and Barlad completing the league until the next RWC in 2023. And of course, why not the revival of other traditional teams, like Iasi. It will be very important in the next years to get more support from local people (financial mainly). ....

I have seen that Galati have 6+ Moldovan players in the team... maybe they can put together a team and play in the DNS under their own name - it would help Moldovan rugby in the long run... Superliga is a bit too much. Birlad, if they can keep their players, can build a strong team - lots of tradition and goodwill in their academies - but unlikely with current financing, they'll probably remain a feeder club. Not sure if Constanta can keep 2 clubs at the top table - Navodari and Tomitanii will push for attention but only 1 is likelly to make it for now...I am still waiting for Iasi, Brasov, Sibiu where we had clubs in the past, there are university towns and should find enough resources to comit to the cause. If enough clubs appear in these regions maybe it will be a push for a seniors team... but that's at least 2 RWC cycles away!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby novac » Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 09:41

Iasi could build a team starting tomorrow if they would have the finances. They barely can support 7s teams for both men and women and the women are national champions since several years already.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 16:42

novac wrote:Iasi could build a team starting tomorrow if they would have the finances. They barely can support 7s teams for both men and women and the women are national champions since several years already.

Probably because all money go to the local Liga 1 footbal team :( ...Read somewhere the budget of 'Poli Iasi' footbal team for 2018-2019 was something like 4.5 million Euro... ..don't know how much coming from local goverment funding...there is an interes there for rugby (with the juniors and 7's programs) so should be first to recover if funding will become available from somewhere else than the state...

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 09:58

Robinson first call ups (some players abroad asked to be let to their clubs)

Props:
Constantin Pristavita (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Alexandru Savin (CSA Steaua)
Cosmin Manole (CS Dinamo)
Iulian Hartig (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Laurentiu Nica (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)

Hookers:
Eugen Capatana (Timisoara Saracens)
Ovidiu Cojocaru (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Andrei Radoi (Timisoara Saracens)

Locks:
Ionut Muresan (Timisoara Saracens)
Marius Iftimiciuc (Timisoara Saracens)
Johan Van Heerden (CS Dinamo)
Stefan Iancu (SCM Gloria Buzau)
Dorin Lazar (Timisoara Saracens)
Adi Motoc (Agen)

Backrow:
Vlad Neculau (Timisoara Saracens)
Dragos Ser (CSA Steaua)
Cristi Chirica (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Kamil Sobota (CS Tomitanii)
Virgil Ghenea (U Cluj)

Scrum-halves:
Florin Surugiu (CSA Steaua)
Tudorel Bratu (CS Dinamo)
Gabriel Rupanu (Timisoara Saracens)

Fly-halves:
Tudor Boldor (CSA Steaua)
Daniel Plai (CSA Steaua)
Dorin Manole (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)

Centers:
Alexandru Bucur (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Taylor Gontineac (ASM Clermont)
Vladut Popa (Timisoara Saracens)
Moa Maliepo (Timisoara Saracens)

Wingers:
Ionut Dumitru (CSA Steaua)
Vladut Zaharia (Timisoara Saracens)
Marius Simionescu (Timisoara Saracens)
Ionut Melinte (Timisoara Saracens)
Cosmin Iliuta (SCM Gloria Buzau)

Fullback:
Robert Neagu (CSA Steaua)
Stephen Shennan (Timisoara Saracens)
Catalin Fercu (Timisoara Saracens)

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Mon, 04 Nov 2019, 18:10

I would say not too many surprises (maybe Maliepo), a few missed selection on this ocazion (Tigla, Popirlan), a few recalls (Radoi, Shennan) otherwise, same faces that have been here before...It feels like there will be others too at the next get-together (maybe Jan) before setting the squad for the game in Tbilisi on 1stFeb...

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Fri, 08 Nov 2019, 21:06

Derby tomorrow in Timisoara in the Romanian Cup. The winner will be likely to play the Final on 7th of December.
Romanian new Head Coach, Andy Robinson is in the country for a first meeting/training program with the Oaks team in the next 2 weeks. I'll be surprised if he is not present tomorrow, as many players will be on show in a meaningful game.

Timișoara Saracens:
15.Ionel Melinte, 14.Marius Simionescu, 13.Florin Vlăduț Popa, 12.Moa Mua Maliepo, 11.Tevita Manumua, 10.Siaki Jack Umaga,
9.Bidzina Shamkaradze, 1.Marius Lungu, 2.Eugen Căpățînă-cpt, 3.Horațiu Pungea, 4.Valentin Popârlan, 5.Dorin Lazăr, 6.Vlad Neculau,
7.Vasile Sorin Rus, 8.Randall Morrison
Rezerve: 16.Andrei Rădoi, 17.Fonoifua Tonga, 18.Sione Halalilo, 19.Marius Iftimiciuc, 20.Cristian Strătilă, 21.Vaovasa Hickley,
22.Vlăduț Zaharia, 23.Luke Samoa
Antrenori: Sosene Anesi, Leonardo Ulises Gamboa

C.S.M.Știința Baia Mare:
15.Paul Popoaia, 14.David Feliuai, 13.Jgerenaia Khvicha, 12.Sione Fakaosilea, 11.Taliauli Sikuea, 10.Ratu Taniela Maravunawasawasa,
9.Alexandru Țiglă, 1.Constantin Pristaviță, 2.Ovidiu Cojocaru, 3.Revazi Dugladze, 4.Dumani Mtya, 5.Florian Roșu,
6.Jacob Nicollas Oliver Immelman-cpt, 7.Mihai Dico, 8.Cristi Marian Chirică
Rezerve: 16.Alexandru Oancea, 17.Iulian Harțig, 18.Laurențiu Nica, 19.Alexandru Alexe, 20.Sebastian Agapie, 21.Dorin Gigi Manole, 22.Ionuț Botezatu, 23.Feofaaki Holoia
Antrenori: Eugen Apjok, Paul Rusu

(teams as posted on CSM Stiinta Baia Mare Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Zimbrii/)
Last edited by dans on Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Sun, 10 Nov 2019, 10:51

Yeterday in the Romanian Cup:
Timisoara Saracens - CSM Stiinta Baia Mare 6-6 (6-3)
An even defensive, physical game from both teams in front of the new head coach, Andy Robinson.
3 yellow cards (1 Tim + 2 BM) and all points from penalty shots. Timisoara had the chance to get it all at the end, but missed the shot for the win.
I have not seen the game but I understood it was shown by one of the local TV station (it may have been a radio transmission!). The national TV contract it's only for the SuperLiga games and not the Cup.
21 of the players on show yesterday in this game (out of 35 called), will go for a 2 weeks training program with the new 'Oaks' coaching team.

Timisoara now favourite to play the Final of Romanian Cup against Steaua Bucharest, in Brasov on 7th Dec (Brasov 2-3k ft above sea level, in Dec?!...high chance of snow rugby!)
But before that Timisoara will visit Tomitanii Constanta on 23rd Nov in the last round of Group stages (they won there in Superliga by the biggest margin game this season 75-6)

In the other group games:

CS U Cluj Prodvinalco - CS Tomitanii Constanta 7-3 (0-3)
Dinamo Bucharest - SCM Gloria Buzau 21-20 (18-0)

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum