Switch to full style
Post a reply

Re: Romanian Rugby

Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 13:24

Romanians, what do you think the best season structure for Romanian rugby would be?
I'm thinking, something like this.
February-March: REC (8 teams incl. Germany and Netherlands).
April-May: Kontinental Liga (8 teams, 3 from Romania, single round robin, semi final, final)
July: World Rugby Nations Cup
September-October: Romanian Superliga
November: internationals vs tier 1 teams

Also, in November Romanian Cup
Also, in April-May a competition between the 4 clubs not in the Kontinental Liga.

From this a Romania national team player would play:
10 tier 2 internationals
3 tier 1 internationals
6 Superliga games plus semi final and final
7 Kontinental Liga games plus semi final and final.

Re: Romanian Rugby

Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 14:51

Superliga would be waaaaay to short in your format

Re: Romanian Rugby

Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 16:37

OK, how about this?

February-March: REC (8 teams incl. Germany and Netherlands. 7 weeks from 1st weekend of Feb).

mid-March - June: Romanian Superliga. Double round robin (14 rounds).

July: World Rugby Nations Cup

September-October: Kontinental Liga (8 teams, 3 from Romania, single round robin, semi final, final)

November: internationals vs tier 1 teams

Also, September-October, a competition between the 4 clubs not in the Kontinental Liga.
November, Romanian Cup.

From this a Romania national team player would play:
10 tier 2 internationals
3 tier 1 internationals
12 Superliga games.
7 Kontinental Liga games plus semi final and final.

Re: Romanian Rugby

Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 18:37

There will still be pause in December and January and danger of flu ;)

Also, are you aware that Romania didn't played T1 tests outside RWC since 2006? Even when was in 14-15 ranked? I like your optimism about 3 tier 1 internationals, I really hope you're right.

Re: Romanian Rugby

Sat, 01 Feb 2020, 19:04

amz wrote:There will still be pause in December and January and danger of flu ;)

Also, are you aware that Romania didn't played T1 tests outside RWC since 2006? Even when was in 14-15 ranked? I like your optimism about 3 tier 1 internationals, I really hope you're right.

I don't think I'm right. That is the least realistic part of my suggestion. But out of 3 autumn internationals, maybe Romania could play one Pacific Islands team, one team from north America, and a tier 1 team.
My proposition is more around how to fit in the Superliga and the Kontinental Liga around an expanded REC, July and November test windows and the winter break.

Re: Romanian Rugby

Sat, 08 Feb 2020, 21:08

There is a player called Rob Irimescu on the bench for New York for the MLR opening day. Possibly a prospect for Romania?

Re: Romanian Rugby

Sat, 08 Feb 2020, 21:23

beber wrote:There is a player called Rob Irimescu on the bench for New York for the MLR opening day. Possibly a prospect for Romania?


Maybe he is the nephew of Valeriu Irimescu, former Oaks captain in the 70's who coached Metro Paris in the early 90's ... Honor president of the former Oaks International players?...Looking at Robert Irimescu (23), he is a New York native, Penn University BS & Masters in Finance and Accounting...not sure rugby as a career but yes somebody to follow. (https://djcoilrugby.com/2019/09/19/rugb ... -irimescu/)

Re: Romanian Rugby

Fri, 14 Feb 2020, 21:06

Calls up for match vs Spain:

Prosp:
Constantin Pristavita (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Horatiu Pungea (Timisoara Saracens)
Bogdan Savin (CSA Steaua)
Costel Burtila (Rugby Club Hyères-Carqueiranne-La Crau)
Cosmin Manole (CS Dinamo)

Hookers:
Ovidiu Cojocaru (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Eugen Capatana (Timisoara Saracens)
Tudor Butnariu (CSA Steaua)

Locks:
Ionut Muresan (Timisoara Saracens)
Johan Van Heerden (CS Dinamo)
Adrian Motoc (Agen)
Florian Rosu (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Marius Iftimiciuc (Timisoara Saracens)
Valentin Poparlan (Timisoara Saracens)

Backrow:
Mihai Macovei (Colomiers)
Cristi Chirica (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Dragos Ser (CSA Steaua)
Adrian Ion (ACS Tomitanii)
Kamil Sobota (ACS Tomitanii)
Vlad Neculau (Timisoara Saracens)

Scrum-halves:
Gabriel Rupanu (Timisoara Saracens)
Florin Surugiu (CSA Steaua)
Tudorel Bratu (CS Dinamo)

Fly-halves:
Tudor Boldor (CSA Steaua)
Daniel Plai (CSA Steaua)

Wings:
Robert Neagu (CSA Steaua)
Marius Simionescu (Timisoara Saracens),
Nicolas Onutu (CS Vienne Rugby)
Ionut Dumitru (CSA Steaua)
Catalin Fercu (Timisoara Saracens)

Centers:
Vladut Popa (Timisoara Saracens)
Florin Vlaicu (CSA Steaua)
Taylor Gontineac (Clermont Espoirs)
Moa Maliepo (Timisoara Saracens)

Fullbacks:
Paul Popoaia (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Ionel Melinte (Timisoara Saracens)

Staff:
Andy Robinson - Head coach
Sosene Anesi - Backs coach
Lasha Tavartkiladze - Forwards coach
Daniel Carpo - Manager
Jamie Wilcock, Chris Murell, Thomas Meredith - video analysts (3!!!)

https://frr.ro/2020/02/14/lotul-romanie ... n-rec2020/

Re: Romanian Rugby

Sun, 16 Feb 2020, 13:30

amz wrote:Calls up for match vs Spain:
....

Staff:
Andy Robinson - Head coach
Sosene Anesi - Backs coach
Lasha Tavartkiladze - Forwards coach
Daniel Carpo - Manager
Jamie Wilcock, Chris Murell, Thomas Meredith - video analysts (3!!!)

https://frr.ro/2020/02/14/lotul-romanie ... n-rec2020/


Maybe they want to make a case for TMO in REC matches!?...and for the players, nowhere to hide!

Re: Romanian Rugby

Sun, 16 Feb 2020, 17:50

They'll produce a huge volume of stats/output given modern analytical programmes.

I wish I'd have seen more players in the squad, some who seem to be often avoided like Drenceanu, Doroftei, Tigla, Alexe, Bardasu, Ionita, they seem to never get chance.

Re: Romanian Rugby

Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 08:12

What's the first name of
AR2 M Vacaru (Romania)
for GEO-BEL in Kutaisi:

Mircea | Mihai | Madalin

:::

Re: Romanian Rugby

Wed, 19 Feb 2020, 09:07

Mihai VACARU

Re: Romanian Rugby

Sat, 22 Feb 2020, 21:47

After the fiasco in Portugal a couple of weeks back, today's game was a bit better...under pressure, at least we could see some purpose.
We've been pragmatic and put points on the board on every ocassion helped by Spain's many errors...don't think Los Leones had a good day!
The Oaks defence was much better than in the last game and we managed to score when had the chance.
Don't remember The Oaks playing 20 min in inferiority in the second half but still win it by a good margin.... I still don't get what happens in
the scrum and rolling mauls where we used to be at least dominant enough at this level!
It all depends how the game in Russia will work out...was it a one off, or can we build on it...

Re: Romanian Rugby

Tue, 25 Feb 2020, 13:13

dans wrote:After the fiasco in Portugal a couple of weeks back, today's game was a bit better...under pressure, at least we could see some purpose.
We've been pragmatic and put points on the board on every ocassion helped by Spain's many errors...don't think Los Leones had a good day!
The Oaks defence was much better than in the last game and we managed to score when had the chance.
Don't remember The Oaks playing 20 min in inferiority in the second half but still win it by a good margin.... I still don't get what happens in
the scrum and rolling mauls where we used to be at least dominant enough at this level!
It all depends how the game in Russia will work out...was it a one off, or can we build on it...



Hopefully the Oaks build on this and defeat Russia and Belguim and build momentum for games later in the year. The more time the new squad has together the better and a mixture of experience and youth will definitely work well for the Oaks a s a team going forward. There is some good talent in the forwards and one or 2 in the backs which will hopefully with more experience form the backbone of a core squad going into the RWC 2023 qualifying.

Re: Romanian Rugby

Tue, 25 Feb 2020, 14:51

I think the team is coming along nicely but obviously it is still a lot of work to do. Still, considering that some senior players were missing this REC completely (Gorcioaia, Antonescu, Fonovai), it was good to see some young players starting in all matches. Chirica is probably a started in backrow now and Ser adjusted well at this level despite his young age, this was excellent experience for him despite getting so many yellows and assisted Spain to score a try. Simionescu and Melinte are establishing themselves at back three and there are some young players who are fighting for a starting place like Boldor, Motoc, Onutu, V. Popa, Gontineac, Cojocaru. There are a few others but didn't had enough time.

The first half vs Georgia and some part from second half made the team look quite good, with a nice tactical game which kept the game pretty much in Lelos' field. I followed the movement of the back three and I think they did a very good match from this point of view. Portugal match was probably an error of judgment to have so many young players at the same time, added to the illness of some of the key players. Kudos to Tarus to play two games having flu and some sort of stomach virus, he was hit pretty hard by it yet he didn't refused to play and did even 80 minutes vs Georgia, something which tells a lot about his character.

Match with Spain was decent and showed that the group is more cohesive and this was mainly observed in defense, less in term of game plan although 2 tries from backs moves is fine. Scrum, maul and generally set piece generally needs more time, practice and imo a new coach.

It's also good that FRR started to look at Fed1 level for players, Burtila was decent in both matches he played coming from the bench. I am looking forward to see Tomascu getting a chance as well. I'd also like to see FRR giving chances to players like Nistor (was a disappointment to see him going one level down voluntarily from family reasons), Ilisescu along with others from Superliga like Sheenan, Tigla (SH, Romanian 7s), Stratila, Doroftei, Alexe.

So I a moderately optimistic and I am looking forward to next games. Probably we will see some new faces as well. Overall I am confident that the team is coming along nicely under Mr. Robinson.

Re: Romanian Rugby

Wed, 26 Feb 2020, 13:54

amz wrote:I think the team is coming along nicely but obviously it is still a lot of work to do. Still, considering that some senior players were missing this REC completely (Gorcioaia, Antonescu, Fonovai), it was good to see some young players starting in all matches. Chirica is probably a started in backrow now and Ser adjusted well at this level despite his young age, this was excellent experience for him despite getting so many yellows and assisted Spain to score a try. Simionescu and Melinte are establishing themselves at back three and there are some young players who are fighting for a starting place like Boldor, Motoc, Onutu, V. Popa, Gontineac, Cojocaru. There are a few others but didn't had enough time.

The first half vs Georgia and some part from second half made the team look quite good, with a nice tactical game which kept the game pretty much in Lelos' field. I followed the movement of the back three and I think they did a very good match from this point of view. Portugal match was probably an error of judgment to have so many young players at the same time, added to the illness of some of the key players. Kudos to Tarus to play two games having flu and some sort of stomach virus, he was hit pretty hard by it yet he didn't refused to play and did even 80 minutes vs Georgia, something which tells a lot about his character.

Match with Spain was decent and showed that the group is more cohesive and this was mainly observed in defense, less in term of game plan although 2 tries from backs moves is fine. Scrum, maul and generally set piece generally needs more time, practice and imo a new coach.

It's also good that FRR started to look at Fed1 level for players, Burtila was decent in both matches he played coming from the bench. I am looking forward to see Tomascu getting a chance as well. I'd also like to see FRR giving chances to players like Nistor (was a disappointment to see him going one level down voluntarily from family reasons), Ilisescu along with others from Superliga like Sheenan, Tigla (SH, Romanian 7s), Stratila, Doroftei, Alexe.

So I a moderately optimistic and I am looking forward to next games. Probably we will see some new faces as well. Overall I am confident that the team is coming along nicely under Mr. Robinson.



I agree on your analysis and players like prop Alexandru Savin is another one to watch. Young and has potential. There is also the young second row Marius Iftimicuic who will hopefully have more involvement in the national team going forward so he can develop and get better to be a real asset to the Oaks as he is a 2.01m tall lock with the weight too to be effective. I see that young Stefan Iancu has disappeared after u20s so I wonder where he is.

On a side note, a professional player in South Africa, a back, Andries Trutter is married to a Romanian wife, is he not eligible to play for Romania as he is married to a Romanian citizen?

Re: Romanian Rugby

Wed, 26 Feb 2020, 14:12

Yes, I thought I forgot someone. Savin was good with Spain and IMO the issue was with entire scrum, not only with him, even if he was carded. Other player I forgot to mention is Drenceanu (lock, 201 cm, 120 kg) who was one of the good players in Autumn of 2018 vs US and Uruguay but he wasn't called back. He was constantly overlooked, too bad.

Iftimiciuc was called to some team preparation camps but wasn't retained, for now. He is in the same generation with Simionescu, Boldor and Chirica, hopefully he'll fight more for his place because his physical qualities are there and he plays for a team (Timisoara) where he have model players like Poparlan.

Stefan Iancu is with Gloria Buzau (newly promoted) and no player from that team was called until now by Oaks. He played on regular basis, alternating starter with sub but so far he didn't convinced. He still have time, he's only 21.

LE: Forgot to answer to your question about Andies Trutter. No, having a spouse of a certain nationality doesn't make him eligible.
The requirements are as follows:
- born in the country.
- have a parent or grandparent who was born in the country.
- have lived in the country for 36 consecutive months (three years) to qualify on residency immediately before playing if he started this period in 2017. If not, 5 years.
- have completed ten years of cumulative residence in the country before playing.

So he doesn't fall in any of these categories

Re: Romanian Rugby

Fri, 28 Feb 2020, 16:58

Squad for Russia:

Props:
Constantin Pristavita (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Horatiu Pungea (Timisoara Saracens)
Alexandru Savin (CSA Steaua)
Costel Burtila (Rugby Club Hyères-Carqueiranne-La Crau)
Alexandru Gordas (Stade Nicois)
Ionel Badiu (Valence Romans Drome)

Hookers:
Ovidiu Cojocaru (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Eugen Capatana (Timisoara Saracens)
Tudor Butnariu (CSA Steaua)

Locks:
Ionut Muresan (Timisoara Saracens)
Johan Van Heerden (CS Dinamo)
Adrian Motoc (Agen)
Florian Rosu (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Valentin Poparlan (Timisoara Saracens)

Backrow:
Cristi Chirica (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)
Dragos Ser (CSA Steaua)
Adrian Ion (ACS Tomitanii)
Kamil Sobota (ACS Tomitanii)
Vlad Neculau (Timisoara Saracens)

Scrum-half:
Gabriel Rupanu (Timisoara Saracens)
Florin Surugiu (CSA Steaua)
Tudorel Bratu (CS Dinamo)

Fly-half: Daniel Plai (CSA Steaua)

Wings:
Robert Neagu (CSA Steaua)
Marius Simionescu (Timisoara Saracens)
Nicolas Onutu (CS Vienne Rugby)
Ionut Dumitru (CSA Steaua)
Catalin Fercu (Timisoara Saracens)
Cosmin Iliuta (SCM Buzau)

Centers:
Vladut Popa (Timisoara Saracens)
Florin Vlaicu (CSA Steaua)
Moa Maliepo (Timisoara Saracens)

Fullback
Ionel Melinte (Timisoara Saracens)

Pretty much the same squad, odd that Boldor isn't there. I'd have liked to see some new faces, one or two players

Re: Romanian Rugby

Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 10:42

Alexandru Tudori (Oak at RWC 2003 and 2007) appointed as forwards coach for Romania U20, seems like a permanent job. He is coaching now in France

https://frr.ro/2020/03/10/stejarul-alex ... JLafyIx23s
Post a reply