Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Small news

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Small news

Postby Canalina » Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 09:09

I think the explanations could be these

SRI LANKA focused on various asian 7s events of this year (Asian Games, asian championship and maybe some others) while on XV they seem more interested in internal clubs competition
VENEZUELA as recalled by Dwpeate they were forced to renounce to the Sud America B Championship due to burocratic issues
PAPUA GUINEA probably they too were focused on 7s in a year where they historically debuted in the 7s World Cup, men's and women's
BAHAMAS they hosted a continental event, some weeks ago (I don't remember which one, anyway), so maybe they had no funds for the RAN XV
SWAZILAND I don't know; they withdrew also from the 7s regional championship
UZBEKISTAN Don't know
INDONESIA They hosted the Asia Games with the 7s events, maybe that was their maximum aim of the season
CAMEROON They are still suspended, if I'm not wrong.
MONACO It seems they renounced to XV since several years ago, but they still field a more than decent 7s team in the Euro tournaments
GREECE Apparently they still have not a proper federation, even if under the ashes their teams keep playing 7s tournaments and XV friendlies
TAHITI, NIUE, SOLOMON, VANUATU, AMERICAN SAMOA The Oceania Championship is biennial so these nations have a blank season every two years. It has to be said that, anyway, not all of them take usually part to the continental championship

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 13:02

TAHITI, NIUE, SOLOMON, VANUATU, AMERICAN SAMOA The Oceania Championship is biennial so these nations have a blank season every two years. It has to be said that, anyway, not all of them take usually part to the continental championship

Only Tahiti played last year. If felt from 4 teams in 2015 to 2 in 2017... and 2017 was the RWC Qualy year. I am afraid it is condemned to die.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 16:21

Arab 7s tournament this month.

Lebanon announced they would host it (5-6 October in Beirut), but it seems it may now be in Maadi, Egypt, from 12-13 October with 6 teams - and a début for Sudan. Lebanon would have hosted a women's tournament as well - not sure if this is still on.

Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Libya, Sudan, UAE
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Fri, 05 Oct 2018, 16:54

The Swiss League will start to get OB facilities, with the game between Grasshoppers Zurich and RC Nyon begin livestreamed via www.swiss-sport.tv or the Swiss Rugby Union facebook page (game is on the 7/10 at 1400 CEST)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 06 Oct 2018, 08:47

mcruic wrote:Arab 7s tournament this month.

Lebanon announced they would host it (5-6 October in Beirut), but it seems it may now be in Maadi, Egypt, from 12-13 October with 6 teams - and a début for Sudan. Lebanon would have hosted a women's tournament as well - not sure if this is still on.

Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Libya, Sudan, UAE

Venue seems Cairo

Teams confirmed; a part the Sudan debut, it's good to see the squads of nations in trouble like Libya and Iraq
-The Egyptian Arabic Republic
-The United Arab Emirates
-the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
-The country of Sudan
-Iraq
-Libya

Not easy to distinguish all their so similar flags

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sun, 07 Oct 2018, 08:48

Congrats :!:

According to REUTERS

https://uk.reuters.com/article/rugby-un ... KL8N1WN00D

CHL and URU belong to Tier 1

It was the biggest comeback in Rugby Championship history and the largest amongst Tier One nations.
Chile held a 27-0 lead at halftime before losing 35-34 to Uruguay in 2007.

How we missed that :?:

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 08 Oct 2018, 07:49

IanCleverly wrote:The Swiss League will start to get OB facilities

What does OB facilities mean? OB in the German language world is the name of a tampon, quite sure you don't mean that :D .
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 08 Oct 2018, 09:34

This one will be a super-busy week for the international big&minnow rugby fans
I try a list

- Euro Champions Cup
- Euro Challenge Cup
- Euro Continental Shield
- REC, six test matches
- a mid week Israel v Gibraltar match
- REC women, one test match (plus an other not-REC test match)
- Americas Pacific Challenge, second and third rounds
- Africa Cup 7s
- Asia Cup 7s men and women, last round
- Arab Championship 7s, with the debut of Sudan
- Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires (7s boys and girls U18)
- Wheelchair rugby Euro B championship in Lahti
- several rugby league test matches, included the Emerging Nations World Cup final

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Mon, 08 Oct 2018, 12:13

RugbyLiebe wrote:
IanCleverly wrote:The Swiss League will start to get OB facilities

What does OB facilities mean? OB in the German language world is the name of a tampon, quite sure you don't mean that :D .

Outside Broadcast, but yeah, if they want to be progressive and have female hygiene products on sale there as well, gone on them.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 08 Oct 2018, 21:32

Also good for a broken nose ;-)
So what are ob facilities?
A camera stand? I imagine they will simply have a camera somewhere. Maybe I am interpreting too much in that but isn't a facility something permanent?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Tue, 09 Oct 2018, 07:10

some interesting food for thought from the UK from an ex RFU council member who was also involved in Nigerian rugby

https://asarek.wordpress.com/2018/10/07/will-rfu-council-members-bear-their-share-of-cuts/

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Tue, 09 Oct 2018, 14:11

RugbyLiebe wrote:Also good for a broken nose ;-)
So what are ob facilities?
A camera stand? I imagine they will simply have a camera somewhere. Maybe I am interpreting too much in that but isn't a facility something permanent?

satellite truck, camera stand (aka some scaffolding), etc.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum