Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Small news

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Small news

Postby Canalina » Sun, 08 Jan 2017, 09:40

Just a nice image from north-eastern Poland, a semi-abandoned field in Olsztyn

If I have correctly understood the polish news, the local city council has just approved a project to build in its place a modern field with stands and a club house

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 20 Jan 2017, 04:00

Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Postby ihateblazers » Fri, 20 Jan 2017, 05:38

It's probably not worth looking too much into unless it's a long term trend (although the NZRU themselves have said Auckland is an issue) but could it be because rugby isn't that sexy anymore in NZ? You've got the NRL's massive growth and their targeting of Auckland players and the English premier leagues (football) coverage which has grown in NZ. There is still the Allblacks of course but perhaps there isn't the sort of high profile pull for youngsters anymore in just Super Rugby and the NPC.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 23 Jan 2017, 12:37

Rugby Europe has launched a new website: http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/launch-new-website

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 23 Jan 2017, 12:42

Armchair Fan wrote:Rugby Europe has launched a new website: http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/launch-new-website

Looks mobile-optimized, which is a good thing. Not so good, that the pictures looks absolutely awful on a pc. Way to big and displaced :roll:

I don't understand what the section WOW is exactly.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 23 Jan 2017, 20:55

I noticed that we have no news about the annual rugby match in Antarctica since some years. Google searching, you find news about that "Ross Island Cup" between the american and the newzealander bases no more recent than 2011. Maybe they are just keeping playing without publicity, but in this "social network age" where even the newspapers are hungry of little curious news, it's strange that we haven't heard anything in these last six years

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby SDyeti » Tue, 24 Jan 2017, 00:12

Canalina wrote:I noticed that we have no news about the annual rugby match in Antarctica since some years. Google searching, you find news about that "Ross Island Cup" between the american and the newzealander bases no more recent than 2011. Maybe they are just keeping playing without publicity, but in this "social network age" where even the newspapers are hungry of little curious news, it's strange that we haven't heard anything in these last six years

I actually participated in the last match which was in 2010...In 2011 we practiced in anticipation of the yearly match but the Kiwi's had to cancel on us. The reason being was that most every year (to my knowledge) the Scott Base team was "filled out" with members of the New Zealand Defense Force and in 2011 the NZDF was not coming down. The NZDF usually sends a small group down most years to do some type of maintenance or small construction projects as needed between McMurdo and Scott Base. In 2011 for whatever reason they were not needed. Since there was no NZDF to fill out the Scott Base team the match for 2011 was cancelled. 2011 was my last year on the ice but I believe that the match has been discontinued by the relevant contractors on both sides...they were always worried about injuries and stuff like that.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 24 Jan 2017, 07:14

Thank you, SDyeti

So rugby is conquering new places like Nepal, Viet Nam and Iraq but is losing Antarctica

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 26 Jan 2017, 00:20

The kind of news Canalina loves. Spanish Army and Navy will meet this weekend for a charity match. Not a tradition in anyway like in the UK or France, but it's worth noting Toledo's Infantry Academy was one of the early clubs in Spain (Cup runner-ups in its first edition, back in the 1920s):
http://masdeporte.as.com/masdeporte/201 ... 47890.html

National Flag:
SwitzerlandSwitzerland

Postby RugbySwizzie » Mon, 06 Feb 2017, 08:40

In the first round of the ARC, Nicanor Machuca, a player from the Easter Island came in from the bench for Chile for the latter stages of the game against Brazil. That makes him the first Polynesian who has played for a southamerican country! His former club on the island, matamu'a rugby, were very proud of him and posted a picture of him on facebook.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 22 Feb 2017, 05:47

Two results not-results

In a friendly called "Battle of the Saints" St Lucia defeated SV&G 48-17, but the visitors from Saint Vincent were in a short squad due to work's commitments and had to borrow some players from the hosting island, so it was definitively not a test match

The gulf championsips' match Bahrain v Saudi Select had been postponed cause an impraticable field, but both teams are full of western expats so this too would have been far from being a test matc

A Montenegro team (the Montenegro team?) will play in the serbian championship. This saturday there's also a friendly between Kosovo Roosters and Tirana. Balkan rugby is very active in through-the-borders competitions, due to necessity

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Postby suofficer » Wed, 22 Feb 2017, 12:26

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 22 May 2017, 10:23

It's not so surprising but I noticed that in many parts of Europe the capital cities are out from the national final. Here it is an incomplete list: just a Berlin club may catch the title

Italy. The final will be Calvisano v Rovigo. The two main teams from Rome finished 5th and 9th.

Romania. Final is Baia Mare v Timisoara. The two main Bucarest clubs will play the "little final"

Spain. The final is again a Valladolid derby. The Cisneros from Madrid finished -I think- 5th or 6th

Germany. Still a month of regular season to be played. As far as now the semifinals would be Berlin v Heidelberg, Pforzheim v Hannover

Belgium. Final, this thursday, is Dendermonde v Soignies

Switzerland. Semifinals are Geneve v Zurich, Nyon v Lausanne
The capital of the nation is Bern

Russia. Championship just started and the two Krasnoyarsk teams are already in the lead. They finished 1st and 2nd also in the last edition

Georgia. Jiki from Gori won the tournament, 28-22 over Batumi

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 22 May 2017, 10:38

That's not so surprising, in most countries the capitals under-perform at team sports. I think rugby in England is an exception with London teams winning 1/3rd of the titles, most places provincial cities dominate sports as they tend to take them more seriously and they are higher up the list of priorities locally.

Why is the Belgian final on a Thursday?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 22 May 2017, 10:50

Canalina wrote:Spain. The final is again a Valladolid derby. The Cisneros from Madrid finished -I think- 5th or 6th

Alcobendas, from Northern Madrid, reached semifinals. The main "issues" with Madrid is that they have too many different clubs (there are some neighborhoods with over 1,000 registered players; over 6,000 in total, 20% of Spanish player pool) and that best players from Alcobendas, Cisneros or CRC are often involved in XV and 7s national teams since they can easily take part in training sessions. It's not the same to call an amateur player to fill vacant places in national teams training camps when he lives in Madrid and when he lives in Ordizia.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 22 May 2017, 13:32

sk 88 wrote:Why is the Belgian final on a Thursday?

I wondered it too. Google says it's Ascension Day, forty days after Easter; vacation day in Belgium

In France there's a Paris team between the four semifinalists (La Rochelle, Toulon, Racing Paris, Clermont)

In Poland no one Warsaw club between the 8 squads of the Extraliga
They are, from north to south: Gdynia, Sopot, Gdansk, Siedlce, Lodz, Lodz, Lublin, Krakow
https://s4.postimg.org/9sbvrpbml/Scherm ... .25.14.png

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby Loohr » Mon, 22 May 2017, 18:58

In Czech Republic : Semi finals - RC Praga Praha - RC Sparta Praha // RC JIMI Vyskov - RC Tatra Smichov (3 teams from Prague)

In the Netherlands, Final : RC Hilversum 34-15 RC 't Gooi (Ascrum and Amstelveen from Amsterdam 9th and 12th - Amstelveen relegated)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 22 May 2017, 20:37

I write here because for some reason I can't post in some other threads (it gives me a page with "error" or something like that)

Two news from T3 rugby
- Kazakhstan has been readmitted in Asia Rugby and World Rugby membership. They had to give up men's and women's world cup qualifications due to this suspension and not by free decision.
They have also a new logo https://s24.postimg.org/kfm2idclh/kazak.jpg

- Cameroon has been deprived of the Africa Cup Bronze organization, after a previous postponement from april to june. The motivation would be "security concerns" and they say they are outraged by that because they say there are not particular security risks in Yaoundée
https://www.facebook.com/19008638435099 ... =3&theater

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 25 May 2017, 15:08

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 05 Jun 2017, 19:12

Attempted a list of 2016/17 european national champions. I will try to complete it little by little

Albania no championship
Andorra no championship, the only (?) club play in french championship
Armenia no championship?
Austria final on june 17
Azerbaijan
Belarus Harugva Minsk
Belgium Dendermonde
Bosnia Herzegovina Celik Zenica
Bulgaria Valyatsite Pernik
Croatia Nada Split
Cyprus
Czech Republic final on june 24
Denmark
England Exeter
Estonia
Finland
France Clermont Ferrand
Georgia Jiki
Germany final on june 24: semifinalists are Berlin/Hannover/Pforzheim/Hrk
Gibraltar DHL Stormers
Greece
Hungary Budapest Exiles RFC
Iceland
Ireland Cork Constitution
Israel Jezreel/Gilboa
Italy Calvisano
Latvia final at the end of the summer
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia no championship?
Malta
Moldova
Monaco no championship?
Montenegro
Netherlands Hilversum
Norway
Poland Budowlani SA Łódź (2016 champion. Final 2017 in autumn)
Portugal CDU Lisboa
Romania Timisoara Saracens
Russia Enisei Krasnoyarsk (2016. Final 2017 in autumn)
San Marino (no championship: the only club play in the italian championship mixed with italian club Rimini)
Scotland Melrose
Serbia
Slovakia Slovan Bratislava
Slovenia
Spain VRAC Valladolid
Sweden Stockholm Exiles (2016 champion)
Switzerland (final on june 10: Geneve PLO v Nyon)
Turkey
Ukraine
Wales Merthyr
Last edited by Canalina on Tue, 06 Jun 2017, 14:13, edited 5 times in total.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 05 Jun 2017, 19:46

Georgia JIKI

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 05 Jun 2017, 19:56

Yes, I knew; I forgot to insert it in the list

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 05 Jun 2017, 20:25

In Portugal the champion is CDUL.

25-21 over Agronomia in the final.

In Romania Timisoara Saracens. 17-16 over Baia Mare.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 05 Jun 2017, 21:14

victorsra wrote:In Romania Timisoara Saracens. 17-16 over Baia Mare.

It was a week ago and highlights are posted on Romanian rugby thread, where this notice belong

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 05 Jun 2017, 22:04

It was a week ago and highlights are posted on Romanian rugby thread, where this notice belong

Yes, but Canalina missed in his list. That's why I wrote.... ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum