Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Small news

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Small news

Postby Canalina » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 18:29

Twenty ranked nations have still to play in 2018 (on brackets the known this-season-debut of some of them)

SRI LANKA 41
GUYANA 47 (august 26)
MEXICO 53 (august 26)
VENEZUELA 62 (Sudamericano B)
PAPUA NEW GUINEA 66
NIGERIA 73 (august 11)
PERU 80 (Sudamericano B)
TAHITI 85
BAHAMAS 86
SWAZILAND 88
UZBEKISTAN 90
COSTA RICA 93 (Sudamericano B)
INDONESIA 97
NIUE 98
CAMEROON 100
SOLOMON 101
MONACO 102
GREECE 103
VANUATU 104
AMERICAN SAMOA 105

I don't know if they have to play against an other ranked nation to avoid WR penalization. For example Nigeria will meet Niger, but I don't know if this will be judged enough to fulfill their duty to play at least a match in the year.

These, instead, should be the not-ranked nations which played in 2018
Algeria
Saudi Arabia
Brunei
BVI
Cyprus
Curacao
El Salvador
Estonia
Gibraltar
Jordan
Guadalupa
Guam
Guatemala
Iran
Kyrgyzstan
Lesotho
Lebanon
Mongolia
Montenegro
Qatar
Rep.Domenicana
Slovakia
St.Lucia
T&Caicos
Turkey
(Tuvalu, november)
(Nauru, november)
(Niger, august)

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 06:14

What are the potential penalties ?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 08:05

Last year it was -6 points, but I don't know precisely how it works: if you have to play at least one game per year, or two games per year, or if it's enough one game every two years...

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 09:16

Canalina, good list of non member unions that have played this year (though Guam is a member!). Was surprised to see that Iran and Lebanon aren't members, thought they were for some reason.

I'd love to see PNG compete in Asia. I think it could be interesting. Its a shame that Oceanian teams only play ever two years

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 10:35

dwpeate wrote:Canalina, good list of non member unions that have played this year (though Guam is a member!). Was surprised to see that Iran and Lebanon aren't members, thought they were for some reason.

I'd love to see PNG compete in Asia. I think it could be interesting. Its a shame that Oceanian teams only play ever two years

I'm of the opinion that Asia and at the very least Oceania should be merged into one competitive region.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby therugbycoach » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 12:28

Canalina wrote:Twenty ranked nations have still to play in 2018 (on brackets the known this-season-debut of some of them)

SRI LANKA 41
GUYANA 47 (august 26)
MEXICO 53 (august 26)
VENEZUELA 62 (Sudamericano B)
PAPUA NEW GUINEA 66
NIGERIA 73 (august 11)
PERU 80 (Sudamericano B)
TAHITI 85
BAHAMAS 86
SWAZILAND 88
UZBEKISTAN 90
COSTA RICA 93 (Sudamericano B)
INDONESIA 97
NIUE 98
CAMEROON 100
SOLOMON 101
MONACO 102
GREECE 103
VANUATU 104
AMERICAN SAMOA 105

I don't know if they have to play against an other ranked nation to avoid WR penalization. For example Nigeria will meet Niger, but I don't know if this will be judged enough to fulfill their duty to play at least a match in the year.

These, instead, should be the not-ranked nations which played in 2018
Algeria
Saudi Arabia
Brunei
BVI
Cyprus
Curacao
El Salvador
Estonia
Gibraltar
Jordan
Guadalupa
Guam
Guatemala
Iran
Kyrgyzstan
Lesotho
Lebanon
Mongolia
Montenegro
Qatar
Rep.Domenicana
Slovakia
St.Lucia
T&Caicos
Turkey
(Tuvalu, november)
(Nauru, november)
(Niger, august)
Guatemala sould be in the (Sudamericano B) tournament with Peru, Costa Rica, and Venuzuela.
I guess depending on Veuzuelas political / financial condition

El Salvador. are supposed to be playing in (Sudamericano C) against Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama in August .in Panama i believe ( a problem in itself due to immigration in Panama requiring proof of each person having $500 and an "Air Ticket" back to own country

Though Nicaragua dont play 15s and havent even trained since last year ..(last year they were allowed to take part with uncontested scrums.
Also have huge political uprisings 234 people killed since April, very often main roads barricaded off, national strikes, etc .
there is also word they have been kicked out due to financial issues from monies recieved from olympic commitee, and internal disputes over who are presidents and commitee members, etc etc...

This may all change the tournament if Honduras / El Salvador need to travel by cheaper land transport through Nicaragua.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 19:46

Tomorrow the Touch Euro Championship starts in Nottingham (Gbr), to end saturday
These are the competing nations (MO=men open, WO=women open, XO=mixed open; the other categories are "over 27", "over 30" et cetera)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 23:06

Working Class Rugger wrote:
dwpeate wrote:Canalina, good list of non member unions that have played this year (though Guam is a member!). Was surprised to see that Iran and Lebanon aren't members, thought they were for some reason.

I'm of the opinion that Asia and at the very least Oceania should be merged into one competitive region.

Yes!
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 19 Jul 2018, 18:59

From a rugby league facebook page

The draw has been announced for the 2018 Rugby League Emerging Nations World Championship which will be held in Sydney starting on October 1st.
11 nations will compete for the third Emerging Nations World Championship, Trophy and Bowl.
Participants for the 2018 tournament include Malta Rugby League (MRL), Solomon Islands Rugby League - SIRL, Niue Rugby League, Vanuatu Rugby League, Hong Kong Rugby League, Philippines National Rugby League, Turkish Rugby League Association, Greek Rugby League Association, Japanese Rugby League, Polska Rugby XIII, Hungarian Rugby League

It would be interesting to have a similar transcontinental competition (a sort of Tier III World Cup) also in rugby union, but I suppose that the league event is favored by the fact that many of those teams probably have a lot of players based in the hosting nation Australia

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Thu, 19 Jul 2018, 21:21

Where, Lord, Georgia and Romania are :?:

Why they do not play XIII :?:

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 08:41

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:Where, Lord, Georgia and Romania are :?:

Why they do not play XIII :?:

Not enough Ozzies living there or more likely not enough people with ancestors moving from there to Australia. My bet is that 95% of the players there live in Australia.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 13:37

Maybe it's already known: a japanese climber is voyaging all the world to climb the highest mountain of everyone of the twenty RWC final's nations. Pretty original idea
https://www.worldtryproject.com/home-1
https://www.facebook.com/RugbyMountaineer/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 04:57

Treacherous Albania - The Albania league national team is going to play against other national teams of the area in the middle august Balkan 9s, the reduced version of rugby XIII. Four of the selected players come from Italy and for sure they usually play union; it's really a pity that Albania chose the league way, they certainly would have the numbers to field at least a national team in the Euro 7s championship, if not even in the REC Development pool.
https://s22.postimg.cc/vtncpoh81/alba_9s.jpg

Beach - Saturday and sunday Moscow hosts the second edition of the European Beach Rugby Championship, with Italy (men) and Russia (women) as champions in charge. Twelve nations competing in the men's tournament, eight in the women's one, but it seems more an Eastern Europe championship being Italy and Austria the only nations not once part of the "Warsaw Pact".
Russia, Italy and Georgia should be the great favorites for both the podiums.
Live stream? I don't know
http://www.rugby.ru/new/raspisanie-chem ... gbi-7.html

Wheelchair - Sunday the World Wheelchair Rugby Championship starts in Sydney, with the best twelve teams of the planet (those with the below flags). Matches every day, finals on august 10. Live stream on the official site https://www.2018wrwc.com

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 08:43

I heard that Albania switched due to a conflict with a RE guy who they felt wasn't supporting them: https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comments/8 ... by_league/

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 08:53

Blurandski wrote:I heard that Albania switched due to a conflict with a RE guy who they felt wasn't supporting them: https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comments/8 ... by_league/

Nice read. What it basically says is that Rugby Union has tougher regulations to form a union. RL is apparently more open, but basically just a happy amateur competition, welcoming everyone who's around. Could be the way to go, but it is way tougher for a federation like Rugby Europe, if you do have pro-nations like Georgia or Romania within your federation. RL is more interesting in this as this sole club from Tirana makes a nice tale that Albania now plays Rugby League - even if it is just 20 guys.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 09:38

Pretty much, RL is quite lax to say the least, Scotland for example are still a full member despite the fact that fewer than 10 RL matches, between at most 4 clubs usually take place in Scotland every year.

The stricter pathway is still the way to go though, by the time a nation reaches WR full membership there is no chance of them collapsing.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 05 Aug 2018, 15:17

Euro Beach championship in Moscow, the podiums

Men

Gold RUSSIA
Silver GEORGIA
Bronze ITALY

Women

Gold RUSSIA
Silver ITALY
Bronze LATVIA

In men's semifinal Georgia defeated Italy 5-4 at the last second, but then lost in the gold final against Russia in the same way.
Unfortunately there were just Italy and Austria from the western part of the continent. Beach rugby is not bad to see, even if surely it must be much more funny to play

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 17:31

Australia, Japan, USA and Great Britain are currently in the best positions to qualify for the semifinals at the Wheelchair Rugby World Championship in Sydney. Tomorrow the last day of pool games, then semifinals and finals

https://www.2018wrwc.com/results/
(the standing table is not updated with the last results)

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 08 Aug 2018, 14:55

From a quick google, the most followed rugby player, and the most followed capped rugby player are both Indian.

Sidharth Malhotra played for Dehli Hurricanes, has 7.1m Instagram followers, 5.7m on Facebook, and 8.5m on twitter for a total of 21.3m followers.

Article here: https://topyaps.com/sidharth-malhotras-personal-coach.

Rahul Bose spent about a decade playing for the Indian national team, and has 1.9m twitter followers.

Picture of them both with Brett Gosper here: https://twitter.com/brettgosper/status/ ... 8121655296

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 09 Aug 2018, 04:38

Wheelchair World Championship

Gold semifinals, starting in one hour, are
Australia v Great Britain
USA v Japan

In the 5th place semifinals
France defeated Sweden
Canada defeated Denmark by one point

Two unusual results (with the criteria of rugby XV) in the 9th place semifinals
Poland defeated Ireland
Colombia defeated New Zealand (at overtime)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 10 Aug 2018, 07:06

Wheelchair gold final ongoing, Japan lead Australia 45-44 at the end of the third quarter

https://livestream.com/accounts/342364/ ... mute=false

The bronze medal went to USA

Edit: Japan grabbed the gold, winning 62-61

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 14 Aug 2018, 06:30

Despite having not played in REC since 2014 and in Euro 7s since 2015, greek rugby is still alive. There are some clubs, at least one freshly born, but I think they play just some friendlies or 7s tournaments here and there, between themselves or with other east mediterranean clubs.
As I already said Rugby Europe should focus on this area (Serbia, Albania, Greece, Turkey...) to not gift it to rugby league

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2018/04 ... k-capital/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 15:42

More sevens going on in Belize last weekend, I hope they become RAN or SR members soon.

Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby getienne » Sun, 02 Sep 2018, 12:58

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 10 Sep 2018, 20:16

Saturday september 22, test in Sofia: Bulgaria v England Deaf

I expect a neat victory by the english players but I could be wrong

PreviousNext