Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in Uruguay

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Uruguay

Postby Tobar » Wed, 26 Sep 2018, 13:20

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Tobar wrote:If I read the article correctly, it is saying that MLR clubs will pay the players so Uruguay will continue the training squad for the next 15 players at home. 15 will be in MLR and 15 will continue to practice with the HP program in Montevideo so they will be fully professional.

We saw how much the US improved with only one year of MLR. What's super important now is how well they play at the World Cup. If Uruguay can produce some good performances and they are super competitive then the case is going to be made for more high profile matches, especially against the Pumas. It would be wonderful for South American rugby if there was a genuine contest between the two countries. Argentina have dominated for so long, anything to change that will be good.

I’m very optimistic for the Uruguayan players but I think the key difference for the US is that only around 8 players were in MLR whereas for Uruguay almost all of the starting XV will be (outside of the Wuropean based players, of course). We happened to get all of our best players back during this last tour, a new coach and MLR helping out the bottom of our roster so they could take the jump from amateur to professional. 2023 is where the real difference will be made (for both Uruguay and USA). I’m sure a few more Uruguayans will be offered contracts in Europe as well.

As for Uruguay vs Argentina I’m all for getting them on the same level. Argentina has been on an island for its entire existence so its key to get them local competitive matches. I’d sure love to see a natura rivalry build out from neighbors who have a storied history of sports rivalry. I believe Uruguay is around the same level as Argentina XV now so it’s only a matter of time.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 26 Sep 2018, 21:00

Arata (Houston), Dotti (New Orleans), Villaseca (Austin), Echeverria (Austin) > https://www.elobservador.com.uy/nota/te ... 8926151632

One year contracts with an option of one more. Eight more Uruguayan players will be at the combine.

The piece also talks about their RWC warm-ups: Nations Cup in June, two tests against Namibia in late August and a send-off game versus Sudamerica XV.

National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Postby JLJordaan » Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 07:28

Tobar wrote: As for Uruguay vs Argentina I’m all for getting them on the same level. Argentina has been on an island for its entire existence so its key to get them local competitive matches. I’d sure love to see a natural rivalry build out from neighbors who have a storied history of sports rivalry. I believe Uruguay is around the same level as Argentina XV now so it’s only a matter of time.

I agree, Uruguay has really improved considerably and I suspect its not long before a Pacific island scalp is on the cards. It would be great if Brazil can compete on a higher level as well, seeing as they also have a historic sports rivalry with Argentina and Uruguay.

I'm positive that the professional league that will start soon could be the basis for this development. As an outsider, it seems like the Americas region seems to be the one where Rugby is developing the most.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 07:58

So far only significant win of Los Teros versus a full test side is versus Canada. I agree is a good win and they showed improvement, it is definentely something they can build up upon but they need to be consistent to challenge PI sides or Georgia.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 08:17

JLJordaan wrote:I'm positive that the professional league that will start soon could be the basis for this development. As an outsider, it seems like the Americas region seems to be the one where Rugby is developing the most.

Who knows why...

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 08:42

Armchair Fan wrote:
JLJordaan wrote:I'm positive that the professional league that will start soon could be the basis for this development. As an outsider, it seems like the Americas region seems to be the one where Rugby is developing the most.

Who knows why...

Haha we have a Tier2 advocate at World Rugby. He is also knows as IcareonlyaboutAmericas.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 09:10

We need someone from the T2 countries to put up their hand for boss of WR when they have their next elections.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 10:07

thatrugbyguy wrote:We need someone from the T2 countries to put up their hand for boss of WR when they have their next elections.

I don't know. The problem is World Rugby trying to put in place easy fixes for complex problems. Their model doesn't necessarily fit every nation. What we are seeing in South America (except Argentina) works or may work because either a single city concentrates most of rugby or because club scene is so weak that the national union can gather everything. This can't be applied to Europe or Japan (clubs have a say, unions may not be that powerful), North America (too big distances) or Pacific (not enough resources).

And we've already seen that World Rugby planified development doesn't work for everybody. For every Uruguay there is a Canada and a Portugal too.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 13:37

JLJordaan wrote:
Tobar wrote: As for Uruguay vs Argentina I’m all for getting them on the same level. Argentina has been on an island for its entire existence so its key to get them local competitive matches. I’d sure love to see a natural rivalry build out from neighbors who have a storied history of sports rivalry. I believe Uruguay is around the same level as Argentina XV now so it’s only a matter of time.

I agree, Uruguay has really improved considerably and I suspect its not long before a Pacific island scalp is on the cards. It would be great if Brazil can compete on a higher level as well, seeing as they also have a historic sports rivalry with Argentina and Uruguay.

I'm positive that the professional league that will start soon could be the basis for this development. As an outsider, it seems like the Americas region seems to be the one where Rugby is developing the most.

If we played Samoa today there's a decent chance we'd beat them.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 13:42

Uruguay struggled mightly with Fiji in 2015.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 14:05

NaBUru38 wrote:Uruguay struggled mightly with Fiji in 2015.

Fiji is in a very different situation, and so is Uruguay compared to then

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 18:48

Armchair Fan wrote:And we've already seen that World Rugby planified development doesn't work for everybody. For every Uruguay there is a Canada and a Portugal too.

Did Portugal have an HP programme funded by World Rugby?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 18:58

They had a development/strategic plan approved by World Rugby and even though I don't know the total level of funding, their high performance grant was quite big.

But it doesn't matter, you're right, it wasn't as big a plan as we have seen in Canada. Yet I stand by my speech. Advices from World Rugby may lead to wrong paths, they don't adapt to local realities.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 20:12

thatrugbyguy wrote:We need someone from the T2 countries to put up their hand for boss of WR when they have their next elections.

Dan Payne went from CEO of USA Rugby to CEO of Americas Rugby. He's a good candidate to get involved in World Rugby in the near future.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 28 Sep 2018, 12:50

Armchair Fan wrote:I don't know. The problem is World Rugby trying to put in place easy fixes for complex problems. Their model doesn't necessarily fit every nation. What we are seeing in South America (except Argentina) works or may work because either a single city concentrates most of rugby or because club scene is so weak that the national union can gather everything. This can't be applied to Europe or Japan (clubs have a say, unions may not be that powerful), North America (too big distances) or Pacific (not enough resources).

And we've already seen that World Rugby planified development doesn't work for everybody. For every Uruguay there is a Canada and a Portugal too.

Maybe, but I'm curious to see how well this program pays off next year for Uruguay. If centralised contracts for the top players prove to work without the need for professional domestic competitions then it could change things for countries all over the world dramatically. It could mean nations and players are no longer held hostage by clubs. One thing I will say that I've noticed from watching footage recently, Uruguayan players look noticeably bigger than they did at RWC 2015. They were a very small looking team when they were against Wales and Australia. Very reminiscent of how Japan looked a few years before Eddie Jones took over. He incorporated a higher level or professionalism into the team, and as we all know, the change was dramatic.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 28 Sep 2018, 13:07

club rugby is the foundation of rugby, don't underestimate it. better find a way to compromise with clubs. we wouldn't have rugby without clubs finances and payments for pitches, ground amneities, junior and kids teams etc.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 28 Sep 2018, 13:23

I'm talking professional clubs.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 01 Oct 2018, 20:21

More precisely, English and French clubs.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 13 Oct 2018, 14:34

2018 Uruguayan Rugby Championship - quarter-finals first leg

Cuervos 19 - 28 Cricket
Cricket 8 - 15 Old Boys

The second leg will be played today.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Sun, 14 Oct 2018, 00:44

Tobar wrote:

Dan Payne went from CEO of USA Rugby to CEO of Americas Rugby. He's a good candidate to get involved in World Rugby in the near future.

What exactly Americas Rugby does - or intent to do down the road - other than organizing ARC and ARCh?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sun, 14 Oct 2018, 01:58

SallesNeto_BR wrote:
Tobar wrote:

What exactly Americas Rugby does - or intent to do down the road - other than organizing ARC and ARCh?

It feels like a holding cell for Dan Payne, WR wanted to keep him, but had no suitable role, so made one up. I could see it either closing down, taking complete responsibility for the Americas as a whole, or exist just to do the ARC, ARCh, and the MLR/LSR games.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 18 Oct 2018, 17:35

The 2018 Uruguayan Rugby Championship semi finals will be Old Christians vs Montevideo Cricket and Trébol de Paysandú vs Carrasco Polo. The two legs will be player the next two weekends.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 15:18

2018 Uruguayan Rugby Championship semi finals

Montevideo Cricket 6 - 20 Old Christians
Carrasco Polo 18 - 21 Trébol de Paysandú

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 29 Oct 2018, 15:08

2018 Uruguayan Rugby Championship semi finals second leg

Old Christians 10 - 5 Montevideo Cricket
Trébol de Paysandú 17 - 21 Carrasco Polo

Old Christians and Trébol de Paysandú will play the final next Saturday.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 29 Oct 2018, 15:11

Teros matches in November 2018:

Tuesday 6: Cardiff Blues
Friday 9: Ulster
Saturday 17: Fiji
Saturday 24: Romania

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum