INDONESIA
NIUE
CAMEROON
SOLOMON
MONACO
GREECE
VANUATU
AMERICAN SAMOA

For some reason they penalized just Papua New Guinea and Indonesia. A six-points-cut for them

https://www.world.rugby/rankings/mru

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Last countries without rugby

Postby victorsra » Mon, 14 Jan 2019, 21:32

Greece is not listed anymore in RE's members list. Azerbaijan is still there: https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/rugby-europe/unions-members

Update as of Jan 2019.

Remember, this is a list of countries that are not WR or Regional Unions' members.

Former regional unions members:

EUROPE: Greece, Armenia

NORTH AMERICA: St. Kitts and Nevis

Countries working with the regional unions

AFRICA: Egypt, Libya, Cape Verde, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Comoros

Countries with active national teams in the past 10 years (7s at least)

ASIA: Iraq, Palestine

EUROPE: Albania, Gibraltar

NORTH AMERICA: Aruba, Cuba, Haiti, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands

Oceania: Tokelau

Countries with rugby clubs but no national team in the past 10 years

ASIA: Vietnam, Myanmar, Bhutan, Tajikstan, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, Timor

AFRICA: Angola, Gambia, Liberia, Sudan, South Sudan, Djibouti, Guiné Bissau

NORTH AMERICA: Belize, Antigua & Barbuda, Anguilla, Bonaire

EUROPE: North Macedonia, Kosovo

OCEANIA: Micronesia, Northern Marianas, Palau

Countries with at least active beach or touch rugby

ASIA: Maldives

OCEANIA: Kiribati

Countries without active rugby (no references)

ASIA: North Korea, Yemen, Turkmenistan*;

AFRICA: Somalia, Eritrea, Equatorial Guinea, São Tomé and Príncipe;

NORTH AMERICA (RAN zone): Suriname, Grenada, Dominica, Montserat, Sint Maarten;

EUROPE: Faroe Islands, Vatican;

OCEANIA: Marshall Islands;

*Not sure
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 28 Jan 2019, 13:27

Two news found by chance, don't know if they were already known in the little T3 fans community

- in 1995 the just formed Guam Rugby Club made a trip to Saipan (Marianas), Pohnpei (Micronesia), Palau and continental Asia. Wikipedia says it, but no further infos. I don't know if that Guam RC was a sort of national team and if they met sort of national teams or not. According to rugbyinternational Guam played the first test match just in 2005.

- in 2007 Northern Marianas Islands made a tour in Guam to some 7s matches as preparation towards the Mini Pacific Games in Vanuatu, where they eventually didn't take part (if I'm not wrong). It seems that was their national 7s team, if Northern Marianas are a nation. CNMI means Commonwealth of Northern Marianas Islands
https://www.saipantribune.com/index.php ... -off-guam/
https://www.saipantribune.com/index.php ... ion-games/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 31 Jan 2019, 17:04

about Bangladesh

Ali said they were struggling to retain their status as associate member of Asia Rugby, which was awarded to them in 2014.
‘We must play at least one international tournament every year to stay as the associate member of Asia Rugby. But it’s not always easy. It’s a team game but we can’t afford to take too many players aboard,’ he said.
In order to retain their status as associate member, Bangladesh Rugby Federation carefully avoided rugby 15s and rugby 10s and decided to trade their skills only in rugby sevens internationally.
for the national team they are completely dependent on the Army.
‘After introducing the game in 2007, we had to suffer a lot due to the lack of interest in people about rugby,’ he said. ‘We then approached Bangladesh Army to include rugby in their list in 2013 and they agreed to support us and gathered more than 300 players.

http://www.newagebd.net/article/47488/b ... om-infancy

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 31 Jan 2019, 19:50

‘We must play at least one international tournament every year to stay as the associate member of Asia Rugby.

How is that true if not everybody play?

Macau is there without taking part in a tournament for what, a decade?

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 00:31

I don't remember Haiti having a national team (in XVs or 7s), unless they played against club teams.

Regarding the Guam team in the 1990s, I have 5 results listed for Guam v Saipan (Northern Mariana Islands).

Oldest first:
Guam 18-20 Saipan
Saipan 34-12 Guam
Guam 12-5 Saipan
Saipan 24-8 Guam
Saipan 18-5 Guam

Micronesia (FSM) played 7s at the 1999 South Pacific Games (along with the Northern Mariana Islands) and won one match (38-5 v Guam), but I'm not sure Palau has ever had a national team.
http://theroonba.com Results from 70 team sports

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 01:12

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 01:51

mcruic wrote:I don't remember Haiti having a national team (in XVs or 7s), unless they played against club teams.

I'm almost sure Haiti played at least one 7s tournament with Cuba and Dominican Republic, maybe two years ago

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 21:49

Canalina wrote:
mcruic wrote:I don't remember Haiti having a national team (in XVs or 7s), unless they played against club teams.

I'm almost sure Haiti played at least one 7s tournament with Cuba and Dominican Republic, maybe two years ago

You're right - Haiti played a 2-match series against Dominican Republic.

Cuba also played a 3-match series against Dominican Republic (both men and women).

Interestingly, mentioned elsewhere in the forum - a supposed Cuba v Cayman Islands match in 1993. This match did indeed happen and is Cuba's first international match (XVs).
Final score: Cuba 5-50 Cayman Islands

And, the following teams also apparently visited (national teams at bottom, though probably not all national teams - for the Tahiti visitors, possibly this team:
https://www.tahiti-infos.com/Rugby-Gran ... 98478.html).

Equipos que nos visitaron:

Club Balma de France (28-23)
Club Villefranch de Lauragais (36-35)
La Teste
Stade Francés
Club Biarritz de Francia
Dos equipos del Stade Toulouse
US Laloubere
Sulpice sur Leze
Stade Rochelais en 1998
Mielan
L’Isle en Jourdain
Club Angérien
R.C. Fribourg de Suiza (40-0) equipo universitario
Dos clubes de Portugal

Jamaica
España
Islas Caimán
Argentina
Inglaterra
Martinica
Islas Británicas
Tahití
Islas Turcos y Caicos.

https://www.efdeportes.com/efd189/el-ru ... lucion.htm

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 11:49

UPDATE:

Former regional unions members:
AFRICA: Cameroon, Mauritania (both currently suspended)

Countries with rugby clubs but no national team in the past 10 years
AFRICA: Rodrigues (played women's 7s as part of Barbarians team (Mayotte, Rodrigues, Réunion))
EUROPE: Åland, Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man, Alderney (rugby club recently set up), Sark (has a club composed of residents and invitational players)
ASIA: Should be Timor-Leste (not Timor)
NORTH AMERICA: Saint Martin, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Pierre & Miquelon
OCEANIA: Bougainville (independence referendum on 15 June 2019), Rotuma (dependency of Fiji - has played rugby league as a national team)

Countries with at least active beach or touch rugby
Kiribati apparently has a union - it recently joined the "Get into Rugby" programme

Countries without active rugby (no references)
NORTH AMERICA: Saba, Sint Eustatius, Greenland
AFRICA: Western Sahara, Somaliland, Saint Helena
OCEANIA: Norfolk Island, Christmas Island, Cocos Islands (have all played as a national team in rugby league)
SOUTH AMERICA: Falkland Islands (visits by Argentine organisations to teach rugby - not sure if there are any clubs)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 12:10

I've honestly never heard of Åland before. Not sure if they ever play outside of a Finnish team, their participation in the Island Games (no independent island nations allowed) suggests otherwise. Nice find none the less.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 12:22

ditto, I had to google Åland and realised it was also a Swedish speaking island but autonomous region of Finland. they are affiliated with Finnish Rugby Federation

Åland stags
https://stagsrc.leaguerepublic.com/index.html

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 12:47

RugbyLiebe wrote:I've honestly never heard of Åland before...

I've never heard of 1/3 of the places mentioned by Mcruic :)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 12:58

Canalina wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:I've honestly never heard of Åland before...

I've never heard of 1/3 of the places mentioned by Mcruic :)

It is a great post indeed. Bougainville sounds like the most Al-Capone-esque nation on earth.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 13:00

Also: OCEANIA: Pitcairn Island.

With a population of just 50, it is not likely there will ever be any organised sport there.

AFRICA: Ascension, Tristan da Cunha, Zanzibar (autonomous part of Tanzania - in football, it competes separately in certain competitions).
EUROPE: Akrotiri & Dhekelia (rugby clubs here)
ASIA: British Indian Ocean Territory/Chagos Islands (no native population - all forced to leave, mostly settling in England - they have a national football team based on the players living in England, who have been refused the right to return home in several court cases).

Also, Mount Athos - an autonomous monastic community in Greece - no women are allowed, nor female animals, except cats, insects and songbirds (!). Population is around 2,000. Part of the EU, but with special considerations (for example banning of women would go against EU regulations).

Also, Northern Cyprus.

Corsica now has the same level of autonomy as Saint Pierre & Miquelon, Saint Barthelemy and Saint Martin (territorial collectivity of France).
Last edited by mcruic on Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 13:34, edited 6 times in total.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 13:01

mcruic wrote:Also: OCEANIA: Pitcairn Island.

With a population of just 50, it is not likely there will ever be any organised sport there.

Nickname the Bountyhunters? :D

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby m.map » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 14:12

mcruic wrote:(…)AFRICA: Western Sahara(…)

from wikipedia: "Western Sahara is contested between Morocco and the Polisario Front and its legal status remains unresolved"
I talked to people from Morocco and everyone considers Western Sahara to be part of the Kingdom of Morocco, not an independent nation.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 14:22

Jersey and Guernsey clubs play in the English league... Jersey is even in the 2nd division. I think Manx clubs too, not sure.

Aland has a professional football club playing Finland's top division... I guess if there rugby side there follow the pattern...

In Portuguese it is Timor Leste (East Timor) too, but we usually only say "Timor", even if it is only half island (former Portuguese colony).

My original list only included countries able to be part of World Rugby (taking FIFA and IOC as parameter)...

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 14:52

m.map wrote:
mcruic wrote:(…)AFRICA: Western Sahara(…)

from wikipedia: "Western Sahara is contested between Morocco and the Polisario Front and its legal status remains unresolved"
I talked to people from Morocco and everyone considers Western Sahara to be part of the Kingdom of Morocco, not an independent nation.

You should talk to people of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, a full member of the African Union, then. They might consider themselves not to be a part of the Kingdom of Morocco :D
As always with those kind of problems, it is best to watch from the outside and don't be involved too much. I have my doubts that rugby might suddenly become a favourite pastime in the next years there, though

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 14:54

Some Manx clubs play in the North West/Cheshire 2 division or something I think, a good 7 or more divisions below Premiership

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 14:57

mcruic wrote:EUROPE: Akrotiri & Dhekelia (rugby clubs here)

Those were your hidden Eastern eggs, right?
Military bases on Cyprus are definitely not independent. If this logic is followed every Nato army camp could bear its own national team.
Guantanamo for the win :lol:
[/quote]

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 15:55

RugbyLiebe wrote:
mcruic wrote:EUROPE: Akrotiri & Dhekelia (rugby clubs here)

Those were your hidden Eastern eggs, right?
Military bases on Cyprus are definitely not independent. If this logic is followed every Nato army camp could bear its own national team.
Guantanamo for the win :lol:
[/quote]

They're not just military bases, they're British Overseas Territories, and not legally part of Cyprus at all. They have a similar sort of status to Bermuda, Falklands Islands, Gibraltar, the Pitcairns etc.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 17:06

Yes focus on who are legaly or realisticaly able to join WR. I should scrap Vatican as well

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 19:56

mcruic wrote:Also: OCEANIA: Pitcairn Island.

AFRICA: Ascension, Tristan da Cunha, Zanzibar (autonomous part of Tanzania - in football, it competes separately in certain competitions).
EUROPE: Akrotiri & Dhekelia (rugby clubs here)
ASIA: British Indian Ocean Territory/Chagos Islands (no native population - all forced to leave, mostly settling in England - they have a national football team based on the players living in England, who have been refused the right to return home in several court cases).

Also, Mount Athos - an autonomous monastic community in Greece - no women are allowed, nor female animals, except cats, insects and songbirds (!). Population is around 2,000. Part of the EU, but with special considerations (for example banning of women would go against EU regulations).

Also, Northern Cyprus.

Corsica now has the same level of autonomy as Saint Pierre & Miquelon, Saint Barthelemy and Saint Martin (territorial collectivity of France).

Lol, I'm sure they would love you !
But no, they aren't. They are still full part of Metropolitan France.
What happened is only the merge of Départements with Région.
So of course it's a bit different than other regions, but nothing comparable to oversea territories.
In fact the only place in France with the same competencies is Lyon Métropole. :D

They would love being represented in sport, but that will not happen.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 21:38

this thread went quickly into a weird "geography" lesson. Sark, wtf

Btw you never heard of Aland, land of hefty fine speeding tickets? oO
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum