Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Last countries without rugby

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Last countries without rugby

Postby Canalina » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 22:57

victorsra wrote:Yes focus on who are legaly or realisticaly able to join WR. I should scrap Vatican as well

Yes, they're plenty of not eligible Argentinians :|

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 23:00

I base on this kind of list, usually, even if I know that wikipedia is not the Bible

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ed_Nations)

If we go into little territories semi-independent or with a special status we could not see the end of the list

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 23:22

Vatican is starting to care about sport, so let's not scrap them too quickly:
https://www.si.com/edge/2019/01/10/vati ... a-vaticana

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 07 Feb 2019, 02:12

Canalina wrote:I base on this kind of list, usually, even if I know that wikipedia is not the Bible

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ed_Nations)

If we go into little territories semi-independent or with a special status we could not see the end of the list

Yes. Independent countries or territories that are members of another Olympic sport.

Break-away unrecognised or partialy recognised countries are problematic for lists. We usualy list Taiwan and Kosovo because they are members of IOC. Gibraltar is a FIFA member, therefore there's an important precedent. But AFAIK Western Sahara, Abkhazia, Somaliland, etc are not members of Olympic sports federations because they are too much trouble.

However it is obviously nice to know if there is rugby in those places. It should be a different category in our list.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 07 Feb 2019, 08:12

Canalina wrote:
victorsra wrote:Yes focus on who are legaly or realisticaly able to join WR. I should scrap Vatican as well

Yes, they're plenty of not eligible Argentinians :|

Well, the guy on the right qualifies through residency :lol:
He also likes rugby: ""It's a tough sport, a lot of physical contact, but there is no violence. There's great loyalty, great respect. Playing rugby is tiring. It's no easy walk. And I think it's useful to strengthen character, and one's will."

Edit: he has also plans:
"I pray for you, and I wish you the best. But also pray for me, so that even I, with my collaborators, can make a good team and make it to the goal line."
https://www.romereports.com/en/2013/11/ ... ing-field/
:D
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Fri, 08 Feb 2019, 21:19

vino_93 wrote:
Corsica now has the same level of autonomy as Saint Pierre & Miquelon, Saint Barthelemy and Saint Martin (territorial collectivity of France).
Lol, I'm sure they would love you !
But no, they aren't. They are still full part of Metropolitan France.
What happened is only the merge of Départements with Région.
So of course it's a bit different than other regions, but nothing comparable to oversea territories.
In fact the only place in France with the same competencies is Lyon Métropole. :D

They would love being represented in sport, but that will not happen.

Corsica is a collectivité territoriale unique since last year - a Territorial Collectivity (albeit within metropolitan France). It is the only one in France.
http://theroonba.com Results from 70 team sports

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Edgar » Wed, 12 Jun 2019, 21:39

It would be interesting if rugby were played on Greenland, if only to see whether they aligned with Europe or the Americas. The sport has been played in Iceland for about a decade, albeit with less than 100 players in total. They are affiliated to Rugby Europe and have played in international 7s tournaments, but do not have the minimum 5 clubs required to form a union. Greenland's 57,000 population is 88% Inuit, and they are pushing for independence from Denmark (apparently targeting 2021). The giant island hosted the 2018 Pan American Handball Championships in the capital Nuuk (pop. 15K). Argentina won the tournament for the seventh time after defeating Brazil 29–24 in the final. Greenland is very much a part of the Americas, being geographically closer (26km) than most of the Caribbean islands, with an underwater land bridge connecting it to the Canadian shelf. It has an indigenous Native American (Inuit) community - predating the Vikings settlements - and identical flora and fauna to Canada, including caribou, arctic wolves and foxes, and polar bears. The Vikings are known to have shipped polar bear cubs back to Europe.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 18 Jun 2019, 23:51

Well, Greenland has a sports fields issue and obviously tje winter that prevented them to be part of FIFA (among other issues).

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Wed, 19 Jun 2019, 02:04

I don't think they'll be able to join FIFA until they get independence, due to a change in FIFA rules (Gibraltar was grandfathered in), but they installed an artificial pitch in Nuuk. Until then I think there were no 100m pitches, only dirt fields.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Wed, 19 Jun 2019, 07:02

Let's not forget the global warming factor. By the end of the century Greenland could be a balmy paradise 8-)

Well, either that or mostly underwater :roll:

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Jul 2019, 21:43

- Rugby going on in North Macedonia https://www.facebook.com/skopjewildboarsrfc/

- The Armenian Olympic Comitee lists now an Armenian Rugby Federation: http://www.armnoc.am/eng/anoc/federations/

- Sudamerica Rugby shows now different badges for the rugby unions of Ecuador and Nicaragua, if I am not wrong. Are they comming back? http://sudamerica.rugby/espanol/federac ... e-rugby-18 http://sudamerica.rugby/espanol/federac ... e-rugby-20

- And what happens to the Egyptian Rugby Federation? Still not listed by Rugby Africa, but they were trying government's recognition: https://www.kingfut.com/2017/04/24/egyp ... gby-union/

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Thu, 04 Jul 2019, 22:50

Rugby going on in North Macedonia https://www.facebook.com/skopjewildboarsrfc/

Nice find :thumbup: & thanks for sharing that. It's also refreshing to see this as so many of the clubs in the region have been switching codes to play in the flourishing Balkans League (of rugby league).

I was reading about Somaliland this morning. Not sure how many countries think they are independent. They certainly do, and Somalia certainly doesn't. But I don't think either of them have any rugby to speak of at this present time anyway, do they? :roll:

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby ragbicoach » Fri, 05 Jul 2019, 05:23

The Kosovo Rugby Federation finally received its recognition from the Ministry of Sport, Culture and Youth this week so is now completed formed and recognised. They held their first men's XV championships this year with the winning team coming from Peja. There are children's groups in 4 towns and the first tournament featured over 150 players. There is a small tournament in Skopje this Saturday with men's XV combined team from Bears RFC of Pristina, Kosovo, and Wild Boars RC of Skopje v the Rebels from Thessaloniki, Greece and Women's 7s competition between Balkan Lynx, Pristina, SamoDivi, Sofia, and Iraklis Blues, Thessaloniki

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Fri, 05 Jul 2019, 18:37

Thanks for that information, Ragbicoach. One of the most interesting things I've read today.

I was reading about Somaliland this morning. . .

Today it was West Papua. They're fighting for their independence there too and it is basically becoming the new East Timor. :( Local population is only a fraction of PNG's at 850,000 - almost identical to Fiji's, in fact.

Postby 4N » Fri, 05 Jul 2019, 18:57

That’s just West Papua province. Combined with Papua province the population of the west half of the island of New Guinea is over 4 million. Indonesia have actually capped some Papuan players in the past, including a prop named Nico Joku who is very good. I think they all come from the Kotekas club.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Fri, 05 Jul 2019, 19:08

4N wrote:That’s just West Papua province. Combined with Papua province the population of the west half of the island of New Guinea is over 4 million. Indonesia have actually capped some Papuan players in the past, including a prop named Nico Joku who is very good. I think they all come from the Kotekas club.

Thanks. I thought there was something wrong with that stat. So if they gain independence that's a more reasonable population base and apparently a ready-made rugby community into the bargain. I wonder if they would then seek unification with PNG, however. It would seem a logical next step.

Incidentally, the Bougainville independence referendum has been pushed back to October owing to a funding row. Bougainville (250K) certainly has league and 7s, but I'm not sure about XVs.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 05 Jul 2019, 21:30

Indonesian Papua has at least 2 soccer clubs that played Indonesia's top division recently. It is Persipura Jayapura, form the island's main city, that is right now in Indonesia's professional top division, and Persiwa Wamena, from the Baliem Valley (inland region famous among anthropologists and linguists) that played the top division for some years, finishing as runners up in 2014. But they faced problems and now are in the 3rd division.

With this said, are there rugby clubs there?

Postby 4N » Fri, 05 Jul 2019, 21:34

Yes. There are usually a couple of Papua based players in the Indonesian team.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 05 Jul 2019, 22:24

Do you know the names of the clubs?

And what about the Indonesian championship? I thought it was centered on in Jakarta...

Postby 4N » Fri, 05 Jul 2019, 23:29

There are clubs in Jayapura and Timkia but I don’t know details beyond that.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 06 Jul 2019, 08:28

Interesting to have clubs in Jayapura.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sat, 06 Jul 2019, 15:13

There is already a West Papuan rugby league team, though they have never played in their homeland and could be imprisoned for doing so. The fact league appears to be more prevalent than union in the region again suggests a closer affiliation to PNG than Indonesia, which of course is not surprising. They also have a soccer team which has played just one game thus far - against the Moluccas in Holland. They withdrew the following year. There is no national rugby team.

Indonesian claims to Melanesian lands such as East Timor (Timor L'Este) and Iriyan Jaya (West Papua) is not only a legacy of the colonial era, but a continuation of a process which began thousands of years ago, with East Asians descending upon the archipelagoes and both absorbing and driving out the indigenous Melanesian populations. The Polynesians were an early consequence of this, and the settlement of distant Madagascar from the Malay region may have been also.

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/wnvg ... a-genocide

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Sat, 06 Jul 2019, 15:37

Speaking of Timor Leste (no apostrophe!) there was a tag rugby tournament in Liquica last week! Looks as though it’s part of the ChildFund Pass it Back initiative. Footage available here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1542810 ... ?ref=share
More info about Pass it Back Timor Leste here: https://www.childfundpassitback.org/201 ... mor-leste/

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 10:40

Are these the dozen most populous nations never to have played a test match?

Bangladesh, 170m: Is a member of Asia Rugby, has played 7s internationals
Ethiopia, 112m: Only record of rugby here is an expats' club in Addis Ababa
Vietnam, 96m: 2 teams compete for the Indochinese Cup with opposition from Laos & Cambodia
Myanmar, 54m: Yangon Dragons, founded 2013, apparently hosted the Indochinese Cup last year.
Sudan, 42m: No evidence of rugby here
Iraq, 40m: Has played 7s internationals
Afghanistan 37m: Has played 7s internationals
Angola, 31m: Some evidence of schools rugby
Mozambique, 31m: National team has played foreign club sides. Has played 7s internationals.
Nepal, 29m:Is a member of Asia Rugby, has played 7s internationals
Yemen, 29m: No record of rugby here
North Korea, 25m: No record of rugby here

Does anyone have further info on rugby in these countries, or any others I missed, and suggestions on how best to promote the game in those places?

Incidentally, one of the world's newest independence movements is in the south of Ethiopia where supporters of a separate Sidama state have been clashing with police recently. But the region's population is only just over 3 million.
Last edited by Edgar on Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 16:36, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 11:29

Edgar wrote:Iraq, 40m: Has played 7s internationals

Iraq has actually played a 15s "international" against Kurdistan on April 20th this year. Read about it, as one of the apparent initiators was an objected asylum seeker, who lived in Germany.
Well not an official game, but at least kind of an international game and Iraq played as its official "Iraq Rugby Association".

https://scontent.fmuc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/57618421_2222641284470027_4051818043343372288_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQkVhc2OUuJzbfmIY1aYpVnUQPRoGwth-a9xTmsqAnxe2lg2EPaDTJwLPr3L-KQtLUw&_nc_ht=scontent.fmuc2-1.fna&oh=457385247c7354dc18d005da0a8b95e2&oe=5DB6D8E8
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum