Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Last countries without rugby

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Re: Last countries without rugby

Postby Osmanperalta » Sun, 03 Jul 2016, 23:30

Bolivia have a national 7 team.. they are training for south american games with a argentinian coach.. but its a weak team thanks to our goverment have a "regional quota" this insane!! Santa cruz have 6 teams!!! La paz 1 oruro 1 (a region) cochabamba 1 tarija 2 clubs (a region) ahhh and by the way santa cruz teams never loose against club from other cities :) (last week my time won la paz 60 to 7 in the height)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 02:45

Osmanperalta, I really thought Bolivia would enter Sudamérica Rugby together with Nicaragua in 2016's assembly... What is making it not possible yet?

Are you from Santa Cruz? How is it to play rugby in La Paz? Cochabamba 2018 will be an imense challenge for everybody to play.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 03:37

Canalina wrote:This is the list (I hope correct) of the nations that still haven't played test matches. Since the beginning of the year we have already erased one nation from it: Saudi Arabia
(...)
NORTH AMERICA: Cuba, Haiti, Puerto Rico, Antigua & Barbuda, Belize, Dominica, Saint Kitts & Nevis.
(...)

https://www.facebook.com/Rugbyhaiti/

I don't know if these two games were oficial test matches.
http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2015/12/17/haiti/

"Then in October of this year when attention was firmly placed on England and Wales’ hosting of the Rugby World Cup a match was organized. Played for the Quisqueya Cup in Elías Pinã, a Dominican Republic province on the border with Haiti, seeing Haiti playing against the Dominincan Republic for the first time ever.
Two matches between the neighboring countries were played with the Dominican Republic winning the first 8-0 and the teams competing to a 3-3 draw in the second".

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 03:58

Yep i am from trinidad (bolivian amazonian) but i live in santa cruz for the university and yeah its hard play in la paz because its so cold and the height we training with surgical mask but we win with no problem when i played in cochabamba i feel nothing honestly

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 04:14

And the reality here ita because the goverment dont support the sport and pretty much hate the east of the country (tarija and santa cruz are rugby stronghold) they claim that the sport need have national presence.... here in santa cruz rugby popularity is growing very fast i think now its the 4 o 5 most popular sport here and its very attractive for young people (especially in private university and college)

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 04:58

argie wrote:"Then in October of this year when attention was firmly placed on England and Wales’ hosting of the Rugby World Cup a match was organized. Played for the Quisqueya Cup in Elías Pinã, a Dominican Republic province on the border with Haiti, seeing Haiti playing against the Dominincan Republic for the first time ever.
Two matches between the neighboring countries were played with the Dominican Republic winning the first 8-0 and the teams competing to a 3-3 draw in the second".

I always thought those matches were 7s as described by Canalina last year under the same cup name and about the same time, but the results were different and of course 3-3 would be an extremely rare event in 7s. I'm guessing they were unofficial and not 80min if they were 15s.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 05:12

Osmanperalta wrote:Yep i am from trinidad (bolivian amazonian) but i live in santa cruz for the university and yeah its hard play in la paz because its so cold and the height we training with surgical mask but we win with no problem when i played in cochabamba i feel nothing honestly

Playing with surgical masks? :geek: I didn't know about it
In the last days we had news about rugby in the heights in three different locations: ethiopian rugby tries to develop itself in Addis Abeba (2.400 above the sea level), Mexico hosted a test match in Dos Rios (2.600) and bolivian rugby plays in Cochabamba (2.500) and La Paz (3.600!)

nick511 wrote:
argie wrote:"Then in October of this year when attention was firmly placed on England and Wales’ hosting of the Rugby World Cup a match was organized. Played for the Quisqueya Cup in Elías Pinã, a Dominican Republic province on the border with Haiti, seeing Haiti playing against the Dominincan Republic for the first time ever.

I always thought those matches were 7s as described by Canalina last year under the same cup name and about the same time, but the results were different and of course 3-3 would be an extremely rare event in 7s. I'm guessing they were unofficial and not 80min if they were 15s.

The scores reported in our forum were 12-0 and 5-5. For some reason Americasrugbynews seems to have awarded just three points for the tries (and two for the conversion). There's also a video and they definitively were not XV matches

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 05:51

La Paz (3.600!)

dude, La Paz is the nightmare for Brazilian, Argentine, Uruguayan, Paraguayan footballers.... Matches in Bolivia's altiplano is an eternal hot topic. And I've heard of rugby in La Paz's suburb of El Alto (4.100 metres... :shock: )

What about Potosi (4.000 metres)? I remember of football's Copa Libertadores matches in Potosi...

Ecuador's capital Quito (2.800 metres) is always much talked in South American sports, as well Peru's Cuzco (3.400 metres). Quito has rugby of course, but I don't know about Cuzco, as Peruvian rugby is mostly based in Lima (sea level).

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 06:03

We training and running in santa cruz with surgical mask.. and yep the bolivian altiplano its a nightmare even for bolivians santa cruz are only 400 metres and my city trinidad 130

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 06:07

And our cities have tropical climate too in a la paz and oruro 3.800(have a rugby team) are hard to play but in cochabamba we play normal honestly

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 06:18

You train in Santa Cruz with surgical masks to simulate the difficulties you will meet in the altiplano?

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 06:22

Yep exactly

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 14:49

what happened to the National club competition that got started is that still going? I understand that Bolivia has been recognised by one of the official bodies but not the other, last I heard you were recognised by the Olympic committee but not the Sports Ministry? is that what's holding up your entry into South America Rugby??

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 15:42

Osmanperalta wrote:Yep exactly

Wow and I thought playing in snow is hard :thumbup:

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 16:45

There is a national and regional tournament... and yes the sport are not recognised by the sport ministry they claim that the sport has not "national presence" politics bullshit (the indigenous goverment hate our region)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 18:59

Traditional Altiplano vs Santa Cruz issue :?

Sad, because I bet will all Argentine influence (and Bolivian diaspora) Santa Cruz could produce a decent team to play at in South American B Championship.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Mon, 04 Jul 2016, 20:49

gibbs wrote:Pity about Armenia though, They have the ability to be another Georgia in Rugby, Very similar physical attributes as well
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: no mate.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 31 Jul 2016, 13:49

Hansgrohe wrote:Technically Malawi played matches as Nyasaland and even in the 80s they had test matches as independent Malawi.

Malawi federation confirms in Twitter that on august 27 they will match Lesotho, "27 years after the last test match". But no rUgbyinternational nor rugbydata have a mention of that/those 1989 games. May you remember us something about?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 08 Jan 2017, 20:43

Let's update it?

ASIA: Bangladesh, Vietnam, Myanmar, Iraq, Afghanistan, Nepal, North Korea, Yemen, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Kuwait, Oman, Palestine, Bahrain*, Bhutan, East Timor, Maldives.
AFRICA: Ethiopia, Sudan, Mozambique, Angola, Malawi*, Guinea, South Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Central Africa, Cape Verde, Comoros, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Seychelles, São Tomé and Príncipe.
NORTH AMERICA: Cuba, Haiti, Puerto Rico, Antigua & Barbuda, Belize, Dominica, Saint Kitts & Nevis.
SOUTH AMERICA: Bolivia, Suriname.
EUROPE: Albania, Macedonia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Vaticano.
OCEANIA: Kiribati, Micronesia, Nauru, Northern Mariana, Palau, Tuvalu.

This is Canalina's 2016 list of countries that never played an international match.

I have painted in red those that have played official sevens competitions (I think it must be considered) with their national teams. Bangladesh, Nepal and Syria played the 2016 Asia Rugby Sevens Develoment Series. Afghanistan played the Asian Sevens in 2012 and 2013.

San Marino, Iceland and Liechtenstein played the Rugby Europe Sevens Series (4th division). Nauru played the 2015 and 2016 Oceania Sevens and the 2015 Pacific Games, while Tuvalu played the 2013 Oceania Sevens and the 2011 Pacific Games. Tokelau and Wallis and Futuna also played it.

St. Kitts and Nevis is a RAN affiliated member, while Guinea, Sierra Leone and Malawi are Rugby Africa associated members and I painted them in blue.

*Malawi played in colonial times as Nyassaland while Bahrein played the 1978 Hong Kong Sevens as Bahrein, but these are too far away in time.

A new list of countries that never fielded a proper rugby national team, considering XV and sevens, is:

ASIA: Vietnam, Myanmar, Iraq, North Korea, Yemen, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Kuwait, Oman, Palestine, Bahrain*, Bhutan, East Timor, Maldives.
AFRICA: Ethiopia, Sudan, Mozambique, Angola, Malawi*, South Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea, Sierra Leone, Guinea,, Liberia, Central Africa, Cape Verde, Comoros, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Seychelles, São Tomé and Príncipe.
SOUTH AMERICA: Bolivia, Suriname.
EUROPE: Albania, Macedonia, Vaticano, Faroe Islands
OCEANIA: Kiribati, Micronesia, Northern Mariana, Palau

Is that right or we missing something?

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby ARHS » Sun, 08 Jan 2017, 23:08

Both Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) and Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) played sevens at the 1999 South Pacific Games in Guam. Both won a match in pool play (Guam and New Caledonia I think) and CNMI won the match between them 27-0. Wallis & Futuna also played, and went well.

In 1972 Malawi beat the Seychelles 6-3 in the Kenya Harlequins Rugby Festival.

Gambia entered the 1998 Commonwealth Sevens, but withdrew before the event. They may have played a tournament in the leadup.

Cuba played Mexico in an IRB sanctioned sevens tournament in 2010

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 08 Jan 2017, 23:17

Cuba and Haiti played 7s recently in a triangular with Dominican Republic, I'm pretty sure
I also think to remember that some months ago Malawi played a test match (XV) with Lesotho, but I'm not so sure about this

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Sun, 08 Jan 2017, 23:32

CUBA
http://wwwrugbyenlahabana.blogspot.com.ar/
Against Mexico 7's, 2010
The team was Cuba Development.

HAITÍ
http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2015/12/17/haiti/

Against Dominican Republic 7's, Oct 2015
But I think this two matches against DR were not official.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 09 Jan 2017, 04:34

ASIA: Vietnam, Myanmar, Iraq, North Korea, Yemen, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Kuwait, Oman, Palestine, Bahrain*, Bhutan, East Timor, Maldives.

AFRICA: Ethiopia, Sudan, Mozambique, Angola, Malawi*, South Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea, Sierra Leone, Guinea, Liberia, Central Africa, Cape Verde, Comoros, Seychelles*, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Gambia*, Guinea-Bissau, São Tomé and Príncipe.

NORTH AMERICA: Honduras, Puerto Rico, Antigua & Barbuda, Belize, Dominica, Saint Kitts & Nevis, US Virgin Islands, Anguilla, Montserat, Sint Maarten

SOUTH AMERICA: Bolivia, Suriname

EUROPE: Albania, Macedonia, Kosovo, Faroe Islands, Vaticano

OCEANIA: Kiribati, Micronesia*, Northern Marianas*, Palau, Marshall Islands

*Played more than 10 years ago
Blue = a current member of a Regional union

Better?

I put Honduras back. They have a federation and local competitions, but I don't remember a proper national team playing, unlike Nicaragua.

I added some fogotten countries, like the US Virgin Islands, that I believe never played (however they have a local Union already). I found just this "Exiles" team: https://fldispensaries.com/us-virgin-is ... as-source/
Last edited by victorsra on Mon, 09 Jan 2017, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Mon, 09 Jan 2017, 07:39

The Malawi National team is touring Zimbabwe in 2017, playing some local clubs.

They have a league system there too involving a couple of clubs, some tertiary organisations and high school teams.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby ARHS » Mon, 09 Jan 2017, 10:41

Looks pretty good with that 'over 10 years' override. Great effort!

Honduras played Guatemala Nov 28, 2015. Not sure if a full test match.
On April 23 2016 US Virgin Islands and British Virgin Islands played - again not sure if a test match.

Kuwait and Oman (Muscat) had teams in the Gulf League over a decade ago - but not as full international teams.

Puerto Rico, Palau, Albania and Belize have fielded 'xv's' against touring sides. Sint Maarten has also, in 2010, as Netherlands Antilles

Mozambique, Central African Republic, Comoros and Vietnam all look like prospects in the next couple of years, along with those in blue.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum