Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Last countries without rugby

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Last countries without rugby

Postby Canalina » Fri, 16 Nov 2018, 07:34

Errata corrige: the Aruba v Curacao match seems a 7s one

It's the Aruba international debut (according to their own definition) but just on a 7s mode
https://www.facebook.com/events/2230259900522797/

National Flag:
AlbaniaAlbania

Postby zzatelo » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 13:52

amz wrote:Sorry but I find hard to understand the situation. You said you don't want an Union but this is the sole vehicle to develop rugby locally. Otherwise what the Albanian state is reckoning? A group of persons without no organization? Sorry but this is not the way things works in both RE or WR. Every lawyer will tell you that you need a legal vehicle (NGO, Federation, Union, whatever is called) and to be recognized and act like a legal person.

I also can't make the connection with denying coaching certification. Did you needed one (1) coaching certification for a person or the right to issue for Albania coaching certification lvl 1 and to send the coaches in schools all over Albania ? Because to me looks like a different matter. I find very odd and difficult to understand that rugby in Montenegro, Bulgaria or Kosovo didn't had this issues (and I understand this guy Marty was there too) and Morariu have something personal against him or Albania.

Looking back on this thread, the issue was signaled before:

ragbicoach wrote: To deal with world rugby/rugby Europe you need a national union/federation. To create one of those is different from place to place. In Kosovo for any sport it is 5 clubs in 3 different locations. Once you have a union officially recognised by ministry of sport and/or national Olympic committee you can then try to start the WR/RE joining process. League will deal with anyone.

Kosovo made it and it is smaller than Albania:

ragbicoach wrote:On 12th September 2018 at the offices of the National Olympic Committee and under the auspices of the President of the NOC, the Kosovo Rugby Federation was officially formed. The founding clubs are The Bears RFC, Pristina; Balkan Lynx RFC, Pristina; Roosters RC, Pristina, Eagles RFC, Peja; and Trepca RC, Trepca.

Maybe my English is not so good and I have difficulty to explain everything, we have 5 NGO and to create a Union "Federation" we need only 4 NGO , so this means we can create the union and be recognized by the state (which we are recognized NGO by the way) ,please understand me well our main focus is to develop the game ,not to have a ghost federation and we can do it in less than 24 hours. We wer and are thinking for the future of rugby , spreading the sport in the schools system, and not to have a ghost federation by the way some countries have done and now everything is going down (I dont whant to make names for respect) so to explain to you we have 5 NGO and we could have the federation ,but this doesn't mean that you have 5 teams , what is the point to sell something that doesn't exist ??! And yes our program was to have the first 12 people group of coaches spread all over Albania, yes this was our objective. I repeat everything was set with the Sport and Education Ministry, the only thing they needed from us was coaching certification,and we didn't get it. By the way we are not giving up from union and we have some contacts with the Albanian University of Sports let's see if we can do something for EUSA .
My friend our intention is to build a unknown sport for my country if it is union or league our first step is to spread the game so people can start playing and love it like we do and understand that rugby isn't American football (by the way no one except us know that rugby has 2 codes people think is American F) . It is easy wen you live in Rumania Italy or even Brazil , wen you have found everything ready and set , try to build it from zero in a country that think sport means Fotball.

National Flag:
AlbaniaAlbania

Postby zzatelo » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 13:54

amz wrote:it's easier to blame on Morariu ;) C'mon, we've seen this movie before

Yes and we all have see the final of this move , and what Morariu have done ;)

National Flag:
AlbaniaAlbania

Postby zzatelo » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 14:25

iul wrote:sounds like they were incompetent and they switched to mungoball because the mungoes would accept them no questions asked

I wish it was this simple mate.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 17:09

Well, but no longer than 5 years ago in Brazil most people did think rugby = american football.... it is the reality of most countries in the world...

I think you have nothing to lose creating a federation now and keep playing both Union and League. It only means official support from RE or even WR, that has the Get into Rugby project, for exemple...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 18:19

Also the Belize v Guatemala match is a 7s one...
I thought there were four nations debuting in a test match this month -Nauru, Tuvalu, Aruba, Belize- and at the end of the story no one of them did it, they all played/will play a 7s match. Anyway, it's a first step toward a future debut in XV

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 18:23

zzatelo wrote:...

Just for my curiosity, have you ever tried to link with some italian club, like the one in Bari, for a friendly match or some technical collaboration?
Too far and too expansive, maybe?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby m.map » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 18:43

victorsra wrote:Well, but no longer than 5 years ago in Brazil most people did think rugby = american football...

still so in italy :roll:

National Flag:
AlbaniaAlbania

Postby zzatelo » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 22:22

Canalina wrote:
zzatelo wrote:...

Just for my curiosity, have you ever tried to link with some italian club, like the one in Bari, for a friendly match or some technical collaboration?
Too far and too expansive, maybe?

Yes we did it,

http://news-town.it/sport/9287-rugby,-l ... ilani.html

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 19 Nov 2018, 23:02

Thank you

So a cooperation between L'Aquila ("the eagle") and Shqipëria (the "land of the eagles")!

I hope you may find other links with our rugby

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 20 Nov 2018, 14:28

zzatelo wrote:

Maybe my English is not so good and I have difficulty to explain everything, we have 5 NGO and to create a Union "Federation" we need only 4 NGO , so this means we can create the union and be recognized by the state (which we are recognized NGO by the way) ,please understand me well our main focus is to develop the game ,not to have a ghost federation and we can do it in less than 24 hours. We wer and are thinking for the future of rugby , spreading the sport in the schools system, and not to have a ghost federation by the way some countries have done and now everything is going down (I dont whant to make names for respect) so to explain to you we have 5 NGO and we could have the federation ,but this doesn't mean that you have 5 teams , what is the point to sell something that doesn't exist ??! And yes our program was to have the first 12 people group of coaches spread all over Albania, yes this was our objective. I repeat everything was set with the Sport and Education Ministry, the only thing they needed from us was coaching certification,and we didn't get it. By the way we are not giving up from union and we have some contacts with the Albanian University of Sports let's see if we can do something for EUSA .
My friend our intention is to build a unknown sport for my country if it is union or league our first step is to spread the game so people can start playing and love it like we do and understand that rugby isn't American football (by the way no one except us know that rugby has 2 codes people think is American F) . It is easy wen you live in Rumania Italy or even Brazil , wen you have found everything ready and set , try to build it from zero in a country that think sport means Fotball.

The fact is, that you need a Union to officially be able to both communicate with a government and Rugby Europe. RE shouldn't even be officially allowed to communicate with you without a Union, apart from helping you to form one. This is probably not in bad intent, but really basically sports 101.

I like your intentions, but my advice is to form this Union. Only a Union can hand out official licences. And that's a good thing, as that's what assures that the standard diffrence isn't too big.

And btw be assured, that 95% of all Germans also think that Rugby is American Football.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SerbiaSerbia

Postby Luka37 » Fri, 21 Dec 2018, 09:33

Facebook profile od Skopje Wild Boars from FYR Macedonia.
https://www.facebook.com/skopjewildboarsrfc/

Wild Boars played team from Prishtina and it was a the first offical rugby game in FYR Macedonia.
https://www.novamakedonija.com.mk/sport ... G4jHYEq134

Another club in FYR Macedonia is formed a few months ago.
RC Rudar from Probistip, small mining town in Eastern Macedonia.
https://www.facebook.com/rudar.rugby/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 25 Dec 2018, 19:37

Seven months ago Rangoon hosted the first Indochine Cup (7s, presumably) with six teams competing: three from Rangoon (Myanmar), one from Phnom Penh (Cambodia), one from Saigon and one from Hanoi (Vietnam). Anyway, judging by the photos the vaste majority of the players were expats (from western countries or from Japan, being one of the Rangoon teams -the Shwe Elephants- composed by japanese players). I don't know who won...

There was also a team of local players, but maybe the played in the parallel touch tournament
https://www.facebook.com/YangonDragonsR ... =3&theater

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 25 Dec 2018, 21:35

Recapitulating, these are the full member nations that have not played a test match in 2018 (if I've not missed something). Let's see next Monday or on Monday Jan 1st if they will be punished someway in the ranking

SRI LANKA
VENEZUELA
PAPUA GUINEA
TAHITI
BAHAMAS
SWAZILAND
UZBEKISTAN
INDONESIA
NIUE
CAMEROON
SOLOMON
MONACO
GREECE
VANUATU
AMERICAN SAMOA

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Wed, 26 Dec 2018, 04:09

I think Venezuela can be sort of forgiven considering the political crisis there

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 26 Dec 2018, 12:36

Tobar wrote:I think Venezuela can be sort of forgiven considering the political crisis there

I will also add Nicaragua to that category, there has been a total collapse of the National sports and infighting in the Union which has exacerbated the situation.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 26 Dec 2018, 17:29

Remember Venezuela tried to play, but had visas denied to enter Guatemala.

I can excuse Niue, because they are as island with 2.000 people. Monaco I don't understand: they do have at least a club currently playing 15s in France?

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby Grzegorz B. » Thu, 27 Dec 2018, 13:16

victorsra wrote:Monaco I don't understand: they do have at least a club currently playing 15s in France?

Apparently they have. https://asmonacorugby.com/ and http://www.rugbyfederal.com/Resultats/i ... &year=2019
Grzegorz B.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 28 Dec 2018, 01:45

And there were/are plans of creating a team for Top14 too. Monaco is basically the Hong Kong of Europe (dense city-state with lots of wealth) but no Monagasques play the sport. The prince is apparently a fan though.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Fri, 28 Dec 2018, 07:00

Not for Top 14, but for future pro 7 League.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 28 Dec 2018, 09:38

They fielded a team in Dubai Sevens amateur tournament with some abroad internationals playing for them.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 28 Dec 2018, 11:52

vino_93 wrote:Not for Top 14, but for future pro 7 League.

Pro 7s League. Is that still on the books?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 28 Dec 2018, 13:25

There's a huge difference between Monaco and HK. Monaco has less than 40.000 people, HK has 7.5 million.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 28 Dec 2018, 14:27

Yes I know, specifically referring to population density and wealth.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby ShyLockNo5 » Mon, 07 Jan 2019, 05:21

Canalina wrote:Recapitulating, these are the full member nations that have not played a test match in 2018 (if I've not missed something). Let's see next Monday or on Monday Jan 1st if they will be punished someway in the ranking

SRI LANKA
VENEZUELA
PAPUA GUINEA
TAHITI
BAHAMAS
SWAZILAND
UZBEKISTAN
INDONESIA
NIUE
CAMEROON
SOLOMON
MONACO
GREECE
VANUATU
AMERICAN SAMOA

Thanks for this list. Seems comprehensive. What kind of funding do they get from WR per year? What do the rugby officials in these countries do all year?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum