Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Last countries without rugby

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Last countries without rugby

Postby victorsra » Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 12:09

Ethiopia has formed a sevens national team in the past. It is not a expats-only sport: https://allafrica.com/stories/200407020657.html
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ChinaChina

Postby Edgar » Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 12:16

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Edgar wrote:Iraq, 40m: Has played 7s internationals

Iraq has actually played a 15s "international" against Kurdistan on April 20th this year. Read about it, as one of the apparent initiators was an objected asylum seeker, who lived in Germany.
Well not an official game, but at least kind of an international game and Iraq played as its official "Iraq Rugby Association".

https://scontent.fmuc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/57618421_2222641284470027_4051818043343372288_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQkVhc2OUuJzbfmIY1aYpVnUQPRoGwth-a9xTmsqAnxe2lg2EPaDTJwLPr3L-KQtLUw&_nc_ht=scontent.fmuc2-1.fna&oh=457385247c7354dc18d005da0a8b95e2&oe=5DB6D8E8

Thanks for that information. I think I do remember this game. Quite a few foreigners involved - presumably from the military - and certainly not recognized by World Rugby or its Asian counterpart. There is also the question as to whether Kurdistan would actually qualify for test rugby. Interesting contribution, anyway. :thumbup:

National Flag:
ChinaChina

Postby Edgar » Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 12:22

victorsra wrote:Ethiopia has formed a sevens national team in the past. It is not a expats-only sport: https://allafrica.com/stories/200407020657.html

Thanks, Victorsra. Safari 7s. Wow! That one is a surprise. :shock: But anything's possible in 7s, which is one of the reasons I requested help with this. 2004. That was a long time ago now. Seems like they never really built on that...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 12:28

Sudan has rugby. Their sevens national team debuted last year in the Arab 7s Championship: http://www.rugbyarchive.net/Pagine/Stag ... gione=2018

National Flag:
ChinaChina

Postby Edgar » Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 12:43

victorsra wrote:Sudan has rugby. Their sevens national team debuted last year in the Arab 7s Championship: http://www.rugbyarchive.net/Pagine/Stag ... gione=2018

Thanks again. No points from half a dozen games :oops: but a good effort against Iraq in the 5th place match. You're certainly on the ball with 7s. I did research this topic, btw, doing both a Wiki search and a general search on the 12 nations listed. The only thing I found on Sudan, however, was a Facebook page claiming a national team in training but with no evidence of actual games, let alone club or age-grade competition. A cursory glance at the South Sudanese fb page brought up similar findings - or lack thereof.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 13:48

Yeah, I was surprised to see them last year playing in Egypt.

National Flag:
ChinaChina

Postby Edgar » Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 14:40

Interesting article about Afghanistan and a couple of brothers from New Zealand who represented the side at 7s, including one who had played for the Warriors NRL team before switching codes to pursue a union contract in Japan:

There are a number of rugby clubs in Afghanistan such as Kabul University Rugby Club, Mamozai Youth RFC, Hindokosh Rugby, Aryana Rugby and Khurasan RFC. We try to get as many games and competitions going in both XVs and 7s Rugby and the increasing number of clubs helps that effort a lot.

With some of their national players having picked up the game of Rugby abroad, such as the Slaimankhel brothers Omar and Zakir in New Zealand, it is noteworthy that the number of locally developed players is now on the rise.

https://wheretoplayrugby.com/news/2018/ ... row-rugby/

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby getienne » Sat, 20 Jul 2019, 12:52

RugbyLiebe wrote:

Edgar wrote:
Iraq, 40m: Has played 7s internationals

Iraq has actually played a 15s "international" against Kurdistan on April 20th this year. Read about it, as one of the apparent initiators was an objected asylum seeker, who lived in Germany.
Well not an official game, but at least kind of an international game and Iraq played as its official "Iraq Rugby Association".

https://scontent.fmuc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5DB6D8E8

Thanks for that information. I think I do remember this game. Quite a few foreigners involved - presumably from the military - and certainly not recognized by World Rugby or its Asian counterpart. There is also the question as to whether Kurdistan would actually qualify for test rugby. Interesting contribution, anyway. :thumbup:

According to the Irak Rugby Association Facebook page, it was a match between XV of Bagdad and Kurdistan :
(Automatic translation): "In a magnificent atmosphere, Soyeux François Stadium saw the first official match of rugby in Iraq which brought together Baghdad and Kurdistan XV to spread and develop the game with the presence of Iraqi professional players in European countries as well as foreign players"

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 06:40

NEOM, a new to-be-constructed mega city in the Gulf of Aqaba, north-west of Saudi Arabia, hosted last weekend an international beach sports event, of course with almost no spectators because the place is still a desert.
I had never read anything before about NEOM and the city is still not in the maps.
Anyway in those games there was also a beach rugby tournament and the first of this photos could suggest the presence of Oman (it would be the first ever appearance of an Oman rugby national team) because the scoreboard says Oman v England. Nevertheless, the scoreboard could be still indicating the squads of the previous beach soccer tournament (Oman won the gold medal in the final versus Egypt), because one of the two teams in the photos should be Saudi Arabia (so the match can't be Oman v England)

https://twitter.com/SaudiRugby/status/1 ... 40/photo/1

National Flag:
ChinaChina

Postby Edgar » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 08:26

Interesting. Rugby has been a registered sport in Oman since the early 70s, I believe, and the sultanate was one of the half dozen nations which formed the Arabian Gulf team - which disbanded in 2010. I would've thought they'd at least have played some 7s by now.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 18:32

getienne wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

Edgar wrote:
Iraq, 40m: Has played 7s internationals

https://scontent.fmuc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5DB6D8E8

According to the Irak Rugby Association Facebook page, it was a match between XV of Bagdad and Kurdistan :
(Automatic translation): "In a magnificent atmosphere, Soyeux François Stadium saw the first official match of rugby in Iraq which brought together Baghdad and Kurdistan XV to spread and develop the game with the presence of Iraqi professional players in European countries as well as foreign players"

Kurdistan Rugby has a facebook page, a website, a youtube page, a logo and, most important, they seem regularly training and playing, even if 7s. http://kurdistanrugby.com/
They are based in Erbil/Arbil and they have also some women playing.
I don't know if with "Kurdistan Rugby" they mean "Iraqi Kurdistan Rugby" or "The whole Kurdistan Rugby".
I've seen some seconds of one of their youtube videos and I was glad to see that the restaurant near the field had "Caffè Molinari" (an italian cafe brand) as signboard. So I checked on google maps and I discovered that there are several italian activities (restaurants, a fast food, a pair of hotels, a furniture store...) in Erbil. I just didn't imagine it

And, by the way, it's good to see that life seems normal and quiet over there. I still imagine Iraq as a sort of dangerous chaos but maybe the situation is better also outside Kurdistan

National Flag:
ChinaChina

Postby Edgar » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 20:35

Interesting. I imagine this has something to do with the military occupation of the region. Wherever NATO decides to invade it at least seems to leave a rugby team or two behind. We've seen them popping up in Afghanistan, Libya and elsewhere too. Maybe Syria will be next.

Kurds are the largest ethnic group without their own independent nation. They number about 30 million, half in Turkey, and perhaps a quarter of that figure in Istanbul alone. They are ethnically and linguistically akin to Iranians and are considered indigenous to a region which straddles the borders of Turkey, Iran and Iraq. Most of the Kurds in northern Syria moved there upon the collapse of the Ottoman Empire and foundation of the Turkish Republic a century ago, having become marginalized.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 21:02

Syria already has rugby, they are Asia Rugby members...

National Flag:
ChinaChina

Postby Edgar » Thu, 25 Jul 2019, 21:39

Yes, I think they played an unofficial test or 2 (before the war) and competed at the Beirut 7s. Surprised to hear they are members of Rugby Asia though.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 29 Jul 2019, 20:36

Reading this page https://www.facebook.com/ecuadorrugby/ it looks like Ecuador rugby is really experiencing division. That's means we won't see their national team this year again...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 26 Aug 2019, 18:05

New South Sudan Rugby Federation: https://www.facebook.com/SSRFU/
More on South Sudanese rugby http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-0 ... 978808.htm

Update as of September 2019.

Remember, this is a list of countries that are not WR or Regional Unions' members alreday.

Only IOC-eligible countries: (I know, many interesting territories, but it could be another list)

Former regional unions members:

EUROPE: Greece, Armenia

NORTH AMERICA: St. Kitts and Nevis

AFRICA: Mauritania

Countries working with the regional unions

AFRICA: Egypt (returning?), Libya, Cape Verde, Ethiopia, Comoros

OCEANIA: Kiribati (Get Into Rugby)

[b]Countries with active national teams in the past 10 years (7s at l
Last edited by victorsra on Mon, 02 Sep 2019, 16:56, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 26 Aug 2019, 18:26

It seems that also South Sudan (like Albania, Greece and some other minor federations) has a foot on rugby union and the other one on rugby league, at the moment.
I think 7s is very important in this fight between union and league to attract the newborn federations: league is someway more easy to play than union (less rules, a bit less players, no need to have front rowers...) and could be at the beginning more attractive for a federation with a still weak structure, but 7s is even more simple, quick and easy and furthermore it offers the dream of the Olympic Games. So it is an important allied of rugby XV

Mozambique is going to debut saturday in the African Regional 7s, so maybe they have been awarded too with an associated membership. Just maybe

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 26 Aug 2019, 18:37

Canalina wrote:
Mozambique is going to debut saturday in the African Regional 7s, so maybe they have been awarded too with an associated membership. Just maybe

Like Egypt. Let's wait to update.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 28 Aug 2019, 13:52

It seems Armenian rugby is reborning? https://www.facebook.com/armrugby

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 28 Aug 2019, 16:45

I was writing that they seems just the usual little bunch of friends, but scrolling a bit down the fb page we see that last autumn they played a match even with South Africa!
It was "South Africa U16" (but I doubt that the "real" SA U16 planned a game in Armenia... maybe they were playing in Georgia in that weeks and made a jump to the near Yerevan?) but anyway it was apparently a XV match and the hosts played under the name "Armenia". I wonder if we can consider it a proper national team match? They say it was the first match in Armenia since ten years ago

National Flag:
ChinaChina

Postby Edgar » Thu, 29 Aug 2019, 10:37

victorsra wrote:It seems Armenian rugby is reborning? https://www.facebook.com/armrugby

Yes, they are currently looking for sponsorship. Armenia did compete in Europe, with considerable success, between 2004-2011, winning their first 10 games and making it into division 3A, then 2B in their final year, beating such teams as Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden & Serbia along the way. But after one game in 2011, a narrow loss to the Serbs in Belgrade, they disappeared without a trace. The team was apparently made up of mostly French diaspora, and had played a number of its home-games in France, thus it was assumed their demise had been due to a crackdown on the eligibility laws. But this article (in French) from last year mentions some corruption: https://papiers-armenie.fr/2018/02/13/a ... nion-team/ Rugby Europe suspended the Rugby Federation of Armenia in November 2014 due to inactivity. As of 2012, there were three rugby clubs in Armenia: Ararat, Artashat, and Ureni (Wiki). Fun fact: Former All Blacks fullback Matthew Ridge was of Armenian ancestry.

Neighbours Azerbaijan, in complete contrast to Armenia, fielded a home-based team and managed to win just one of the 22 games they were involved in between 2005 and 2013. That was at home to Bosnia in just their second match ever. Apparently they had a team competing in lower division Georgian competition at the time. Perhaps that could be an idea for Armenia to consider, given the capital is less than 300km from Tbilisi. As for Azerbaijan itself, the sport was on the point of disappearing there last year, according to a report on the Sputnik news site (English translation available): https://az.sputniknews.ru/sport/2017091 ... janie.html

It seems that also South Sudan (like Albania, Greece and some other minor federations) has a foot on rugby union and the other one on rugby league, at the moment.

Not to mention Turkey:

No sooner had Treu set up his Kadikoy Bulls team than fixtures with Balkans opposition were organised. The Bulls, along with Ankara’s Phrygians, are now part of a 14-team league which includes clubs from Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania, Bulgaria, Greece and Italy.

Moreover, the Turkish national team was invited to compete in rugby league’s Emerging Nations World Cup in Australia last year, where they finished seventh, thumping Japan 60-0 along the way.

On the domestic scene, Turkey now has a ten-team national league, divided into two conferences, which are currently being led by the Bulls and Phrygians.

Meanwhile, the senior rugby union competition in Turkey has dropped from 14 teams and two divisions to a single division of seven teams – plagued by defaults and blowout scores.
: https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/04/30/h ... -the-coop/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 29 Aug 2019, 12:12

We could make a long-term betting: which will be the last country to start playing rugby?

- North Korea?
- North Sentinel, the Andaman island where just savage men live?
- Groenland?
- Vatican?
- Suriname?

:)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 29 Aug 2019, 12:49

Maybe Cameroon, I doubt one day they will be un-suspended :lol:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 29 Aug 2019, 16:45

Canalina wrote:We could make a long-term betting: which will be the last country to start playing rugby?
- Groenland?

Aarhus Rugby Club of Denmark claim to have a player from Greenland at their club, so from small acorns...

In fact here is Nuuk Rugby Club: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category ... 544671117/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby m.map » Thu, 29 Aug 2019, 18:24

Canalina wrote:We could make a long-term betting: which will be the last country to start playing rugby?

- North Korea?
- North Sentinel, the Andaman island where just savage men live?
- Groenland?
- Vatican?
- Suriname?

:)

Vatican, in spite of the Argentine pope :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum