Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Are the stars aligning for a 6N expansion?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Are the stars aligning for a 6N expansion?

Postby victorsra » Tue, 11 Feb 2020, 01:35

Yes, sorry, I meant I think nothing will happen.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Edgar » Tue, 11 Feb 2020, 09:12

It still amazes me that those opposed to the exclusive, closed-shop nature of the 6 Nations should be in favor of such concepts as a 2nd tier Championship or a series involving all the best teams in the world NOT in the 6 Nations. That's just going to create the same kinds of problems elsewhere. The emphasis needs to be on interaction between the tiers and creating pathways to the top; not on providing custom-made competitions for teams at the same level - especially those geographically far apart. Argentina and Japan need to remain involved with the South American and Asian regions first and foremost, and South Africa with its own continent, but Japan should also have more interaction with first tier teams.

Anyway, the Players' Association has also come out against the idea of an expanded 6 Nations:

"When the Six Nations has discussed moving to a six week schedule for the tournament there were concerns about player welfare, and Scotland were concerned about not having the strength in depth to be able to get a team through the intensity of that kind of six week window."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/int ... gG4yC6k4t4

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 11 Feb 2020, 13:55

victorsra wrote:The absence of France vs England and all matches between Home Nations is a non starter. Nobody will kill those fixtures, therefore the groups format is unlikely to happen.

That's why my 8-team format doesn't have semifinals and final. Instead, the top two teams from each group play each other. So as long as both France and England advance to the final four, they would be guaranteed to play each other annually.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 11 Feb 2020, 14:23

There's a difference between being opposed and being realistic about the scenario. Are we discussing the perfect model or what can be done now?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum