Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Are the stars aligning for a 6N expansion?

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Are the stars aligning for a 6N expansion?

Postby Scorpion » Tue, 28 Nov 2017, 05:17

rey200 wrote:good idea. But we have to take into account: for Scotland and Wales the England matchup is very important. Considering this, my take is following:

Islands Group:

England
Ireland
Scotland
Wales

Continental Group:

France
Italy
REC1
REC2

Would be nice if Ireland & REC2 will switch pools

A: Eng, Sco, Wales, REC 2
B: Fra, Ire, Ita, REC 1

Postby ihateblazers » Tue, 28 Nov 2017, 11:35

Should we break down what steps should be taken in order to facilitate expansion of 6N/European rugby and to pave the way for sustained growth?

First of all in my opinion Italy must stop funding Zebre and Treviso or at least fully funding them and switch to top ups for national squad players. Those remaining funds should be going towards domestic development instead. As a fairly established rugby nation, Italy should be aiming for overall domestic growth rather than top down growth from the national team.

Secondly, the ENC and Rugby Europe to put forward a comprehensive long term vision and action plan to the 6N committee regarding a) joining the Pro 14 or establishing a European club comp b) what an expanded European national game would look like and the benefits it could bring to the 6 Nations as a whole.

Reminding the 6N that whilst it is true that it is not their duty to grow the game in Europe or anywhere else in the world, they do control the international calendar and they do receive more funding from world rugby than tier 2 and the rest of the world combined. So I would argue that if they don't want the responsibility of assisting tier 2, then go ahead, don't open up the 6 nations, but don't hoard all the money, and don't pick and choose your international window fixtures.

a) Teams will be franchised and sold to private ownership (these can be clubs, multiple clubs, new teams) with the aim of providing high quality rugby regardless of the nationality of players to grow the market. I would look at the Basketball Euroleague as a case study.
b) by adding plan A with the addition of Georgia to the 6N (to begin with) or a European Championship, the investment opportunities will grow in the ENC nations, aiding growth as well as long term competitiveness. The improvement of Georgia between 2007-2017 has been massive and the rest of ENC are not that far behind.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby kearnc25 » Tue, 28 Nov 2017, 15:06

Bogdan_DC wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
Bogdan_DC wrote:
4N wrote:Italy isn't a big rugby nation. I question if the national team's attendances would have grown without 6N participation.

Pure ignorance.

He is 100% right though. They wouldn't have. And that's the exact reason the 6 Nations need to be more open to grow our beloved sport.

So from where did you know that? And actually who got great club rugby crowds except UK&France? Even the big guys from South didn't have so many full house games.And anyway i say the same thing to open up the 6N BUT not to destroy Italy.

Ireland also has fairly big attendances.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 28 Nov 2017, 15:22

kearnc25 wrote:
Bogdan_DC wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
Bogdan_DC wrote:
4N wrote:Italy isn't a big rugby nation. I question if the national team's attendances would have grown without 6N participation.

Pure ignorance.

He is 100% right though. They wouldn't have. And that's the exact reason the 6 Nations need to be more open to grow our beloved sport.

So from where did you know that? And actually who got great club rugby crowds except UK&France? Even the big guys from South didn't have so many full house games.And anyway i say the same thing to open up the 6N BUT not to destroy Italy.

Ireland also has fairly big attendances.

Yes, Ireland also.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Wed, 29 Nov 2017, 07:25

I have said this before, I think trying to break into the 6N is a wasted effort. The best option is to create another tournament that has so much to offer that it tempts the 6N club, even if just Italy to start with.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 29 Nov 2017, 07:48

European championship every 2 years between world cups will be just perfect. First step is to attract France and Italy.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 29 Nov 2017, 09:30

Bogdan_DC wrote:European championship every 2 years between world cups will be just perfect. First step is to attract France and Italy.

Exactly my thoughts. Scheduled in Lion's Tour years. If our beloved Island nations want, they can still send their official national sides.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 29 Nov 2017, 13:42

Maybe a Russian user can enlighten us, but do I understand Wales A is expected to play either Russia, Georgia, Romania or Germany before REC 2018? https://rugger.info/europe/news/17457

Postby armchair_expert » Wed, 29 Nov 2017, 18:41

Armchair Fan wrote:Maybe a Russian user can enlighten us, but do I understand Wales A is expected to play either Russia, Georgia, Romania or Germany before REC 2018? https://rugger.info/europe/news/17457

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... y-13964222
“You’ve got Georgia, Romania, Russia, Germany, those type of countries.

“Instead of just looking at A teams, can we look at it elsewhere?”

the tone of these words suggests it is not going to happen

they will play RGC 1404 in an exciting showdown at Eirias Park, Colwyn Bay

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 29 Nov 2017, 19:00

OK, thanks. It's a shame, because Russia often plays something in January to prepare REC.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Wed, 29 Nov 2017, 19:36

Just to be correct Georgia is performing pretty well. GRU must place at least 1 team in PRO14 to continue development. They really have talented players both in front and back. Some really good Georgian backs are comming up.

European championship every 4 years between RWC will be great.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Thu, 30 Nov 2017, 06:05

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Bogdan_DC wrote:European championship every 2 years between world cups will be just perfect. First step is to attract France and Italy.

Exactly my thoughts. Scheduled in Lion's Tour years. If our beloved Island nations want, they can still send their official national sides.

This is exactly what I am talking about. FIRA can take control of it but will need to make it attractive somehow either in prize money or something. If one of the 6N teams takes it seriously the others will follow.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum