Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Are the stars aligning for a 6N expansion?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Are the stars aligning for a 6N expansion?

Postby Figaro » Mon, 12 Feb 2018, 13:58

The English will use this training session as an excuse not to host Georgia for an actual game.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Mon, 12 Feb 2018, 14:05

Figaro wrote:The English will use this training session as an excuse not to host Georgia for an actual game.

Sooner or later they will. For now I'm sure that GRU will gladly take this opportunity to practice with worlds number 2 team.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Mon, 12 Feb 2018, 16:00

I see this as a good things for both Unions, the article talks about England had considered travelling to Tbilisi but Georgia will now visit London, with the Rugby Football Union paying for their accommodation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43030551

This is a win - win for both side irrespective if 6N is expanded in the near future or not.

How many current Georgian players are in the TOP 14?? Also according to the article a similar thing happened in 2017

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 12 Feb 2018, 16:02

And another article asking for a relegation play-off: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3388393

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Mon, 12 Feb 2018, 16:24

How many current Georgian players are in the TOP 14??

I counted 11 of the ones that traveled to London (including couple of youngsters who play for Espoirs but also have few Top14 games under their belt.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Mon, 12 Feb 2018, 16:33

Armchair Fan wrote:And another article asking for a relegation play-off: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3388393

I wish they could see the big picture. The results of the national side is only the tip of the iceberg and the tip of the iceberg is what most people look at. Italian rugby has already turned the corner but it's going to take a while for that to translate to Italy's national team.

Benetton have won 50% of their games in the pro14 this season. The Italian U20s are very strong. Zebre have a young side and are doing alright.

They've mainly a young team now which they can strengthen every year.

Postby 4N » Mon, 12 Feb 2018, 16:53

Italy are 0-2 in the U20s and in fifth place. They're gonna be 0-3 after they play France next round. But yeah, sure, they've "turned the corner." :roll:

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stef » Mon, 12 Feb 2018, 20:33

Should the Six Nations have promotion and relegation?

An article to answer to that question:

http://www.rugbyworld.com/countries/italy/six-nations-promotion-relegation-88996

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Wendigo7 » Mon, 12 Feb 2018, 22:03

I haven't logged on in here in a little while but I'll post this in here:

Confirmed 10th November 2018:
England vs New Zealand
Ireland vs Argentina
France vs South Africa
Wales vs Australia
Scotland vs Fiji
ITALY VS GEORGIA :shock:

England vs NZ, even as an englishman I will watch, but the game that really, really matters is Italy vs Georgia.

I don't feel I'm over egging it by saying it's probably the biggest match for specifically european rugby since the game went pro. Genuinely.

The result matters, the performances matter and the game matters. If Italy wins well, the 6 Nations question is probably put to bed for a little while, if it's a close faught win, Georgia have made their point and may ask for a return leg and the promotion/relegation question is potentially discussed. If Georgia win however, all bets are off and it's open season. I firmly believe it's the biggest game I can remember in a long time. What happens with european rugby, 6 nations/tier 2 teams etc going forward are all going to be put into this game, whether both teams like it or not and Georgia will go absolutely all in for it.

Italy really need to be up for that game.Absolutely cannot wait for that game though and I know they are getting on but... Gorgodze vs Parisse. Sweet jesus.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby sandro » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 01:08

Unfortunetly Gorgodze retired.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 03:32

Gorgodze will play one last time for sure. waiting for November when the Rome will ne upset.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Scoob » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 07:05

by Wendigo7 » Mon, 12 Feb 2018, 22:03
I haven't logged on in here in a little while but I'll post this in here:

Confirmed 10th November 2018:
England vs New Zealand
Ireland vs Argentina
France vs South Africa
Wales vs Australia
Scotland vs Fiji
ITALY VS GEORGIA

England vs NZ, even as an englishman I will watch, but the game that really, really matters is Italy vs Georgia.

I don't feel I'm over egging it by saying it's probably the biggest match for specifically european rugby since the game went pro. Genuinely.

The result matters, the performances matter and the game matters. If Italy wins well, the 6 Nations question is probably put to bed for a little while, if it's a close faught win, Georgia have made their point and may ask for a return leg and the promotion/relegation question is potentially discussed. If Georgia win however, all bets are off and it's open season. I firmly believe it's the biggest game I can remember in a long time. What happens with european rugby, 6 nations/tier 2 teams etc going forward are all going to be put into this game, whether both teams like it or not and Georgia will go absolutely all in for it.

Italy really need to be up for that game.Absolutely cannot wait for that game though and I know they are getting on but... Gorgodze vs Parisse. Sweet jesus.

Couldnt have put it better myself.They are so stuck in there ways though the 6 nations teams. I mean the under 18 european tournament was so pathetic how it finished.Georgia and Portugal beat i cant remember which teams and they run away and dont want to play with them again.And what makes it worse is last year a pathetic looking under 19 Canada team gets invited to play against Italy,Ireland,Wales,Scotland,England.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stef » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 08:58

Scoob wrote:

Romania was in a similar position as Georgia in 2004 when the Oaks won against Italy.

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/en/news ... UyyDOnH_IU#t4DvRAhR18xoMFxu.97

What happened after? The 6N teams started to avoid playing against Romania for 13 years.

I really hope that Georgia will have a full strength team and seize the jackpot against Italy. Something has to be done in Europe if not we will risk to have just a British game given the poor state of French national team.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 10:55

The one thing Georgia don't have to their credentials (perhaps surprisingly) is a victory against T1 - something almost every T2 has. This is their best chance for a while and so it's certainly a big game; but let's not get carried away. Japan beating RSA didn't let them join the Rugby Championship; nor did Fiji beating Australia, nor (as someone pointed out above) did Romania beating Italy lead to any immediate change in 2004. If Georgia win it's going to intensify claims about expansion/relegation but won't change anything overnight.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 14:29

Stef wrote:cRomania was in a similar position as Georgia in 2004 when the Oaks won against Italy.

What happened after? The 6N teams started to avoid playing against Romania for 13 years.

In the past four years, Romania has had mixed results versus Georgia, Russia, Germany and United States; wins over Canada, Uruguay, Namibia and Samoa; and defeats to Japan, Tonga and Italy.

I think they should play the Pacific Islands more often, and visit United States, Uruguay and Namibia.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 15:55

NaBUru38 wrote:In the past four years, Romania has had mixed results versus Georgia, Tonga, Russia, Germany and United States; wins over Canada, Uruguay, Namibia and Samoa; and defeats to Japan and Italy

I think they should play the Pacific Islands more often, and visit United States, Uruguay and Namibia.

Fixed. But Stef's post was about something else. I do agree we should play more abroad, FRR asked for it because we were compelled for years to organised Nations Cup and last year was the first time from over a decade to tour on other continents in June. Yet, I don't think we should have played Brazil other than as an act of good willing toward emerging sides.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 16:06

I want teams like Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, Namibia, Kenya, Zimbabwe, South korea and Hong kong to travel 1st week in November to Countriea like, Georgia, Romania, Japan, USA, Canada.

That will be good thing for these teams and will help them to improve.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 16:10

RugbyPUBtbilisi wrote:I want teams like Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, Namibia, Kenya, Zimbabwe, South korea and Hong kong to travel 1st week in November to Countriea like, Georgia, Romania, Japan, USA, Canada.

That will be good thing for these teams and will help them to improve.

Agree and we should also travel to T1 from time to time giving the fact we want to host emerging sides.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 16:17

I can see Italy beating France next week. This will silence this thread for at least one year :)).

Now seriously 6N is a very good bussines, no reason for them to changed it (one of the best in the world of sport actually).
The only way is REC becoming stronger and invite teams to an European Championship. First it could be informal and after the tournament become more serious make it official. Old FIRA tournament revival with Italy & France included. In time maybe even brits will want complete European glory :).

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 16:34

I do agree we should play more abroad, FRR asked for it because we were compelled for years to organised Nations Cup and last year was the first time from over a decade to tour on other continents in June. Yet, I don't think we should have played Brazil other than as an act of good willing toward emerging sides.

Any T2 that wants to play T1s must play also T3s to be coherent. The same way top T3s must play other T3s.

In others words, if Romania wants to play Wales, they must play Brazil too. But if Brazil wants to play Romania, we must play Colombia too.

However, it is worth to note that Georgia and Romania already do their job playing Belgium and Germany in the REC.

ow seriously 6N is a very good bussines, no reason for them to changed it (one of the best in the world of sport actually).
The only way is REC becoming stronger and invite teams to an European Championship. First it could be informal and after the tournament become more serious make it official. Old FIRA tournament revival with Italy & France included. In time maybe even brits will want complete European glory :).

For me the best alternative now is to have a 8 Nations Championship, with the 6 Nations as core teams (as they own the competition) + 2 non-core REC teams (with Rugby Europe/World Rugby becoming stakeholders of the 6N Ltd). Every year those two non-core teams could play a relegation playoff in June/July against the 2 best teams that played the REC. Exemple: Best of the non-core 8N host the REC Runners up / Worst of the 8N visit the REC champions. This could mean Georgia and Romania playing the 8N and the matches Georgia vs Russia, Spain vs Romania in June/July.

Also, 8 Nations can be played in the current calendar, as the 6N already runs along 7 weekends. You just need to eliminate the bye weekends and impose a limit of matches for each player to not damage even more players' welfare policies.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 16:42

victorsra wrote:Any T2 that wants to play T1s must play also T3s to be coherent. The same way top T3s must play other T3s.

In others words, if Romania wants to play Wales, they must play Brazil too. But if Brazil wants to play Romania, we must play Colombia too.

However, it is worth to note that Georgia and Romania already do their job playing Belgium and Germany in the REC.

That was precisely my point and hosting in June or November other T3 sides not an issue as long as we have chance to play T1 as well. But not playing a T1 side outside RWC form nearly 12 years is a joke.

victorsra wrote:For me the best alternative now is to have a 8 Nations Championship, with the 6 Nations as core teams (as they own the competition) + 2 non-core REC teams (with Rugby Europe/World Rugby becoming stakeholders of the 6N Ltd). Every year those two non-core teams can play a relegation playoff in June/July against the 2 best teams that played the REC. Exemple: Best of the 8N host the REC Runners up / Worst of the 8N visit the REC champions. This could mean Georgia and Romania playing the 8N and the matches Georgia vs Russia, Spain vs Romania in June/July.

Also, 8 Nations can be played in the current calendar, as the 6N already runs along 7 weekends. You just need to eliminate the bye weekends and impose a limit of matches for each player to not damage even more players' welfare policies.

I agree with this approach, I think even a relegation can be agreed at the risk of going down for one of the newly added sides, the only thing is that none of Georgia or Romania have the infrastructure and depth to compete right now. They can have the odd win here and there versus Italy or even Scotland in a bad day but before this regular T1 matches need to happen.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby kearnc25 » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 23:23

Stef wrote:
Scoob wrote: Something has to be done in Europe if not we will risk to have just a British game given the poor state of French national team.

Nah Ireland are pretty good as well.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby kearnc25 » Tue, 13 Feb 2018, 23:24

Bogdan_DC wrote:I can see Italy beating France next week. This will silence this thread for at least one year :))..

Considering France sent 7 players home due to an incident in Glasgow after the match at the weekend Italy might win.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Thu, 15 Feb 2018, 02:40

4N wrote:Italy are 0-2 in the U20s and in fifth place. They're gonna be 0-3 after they play France next round. But yeah, sure, they've "turned the corner." :roll:

Well they're doing better than Scotland. The Italian points difference is -16. Scotland's is about -80.

Postby 4N » Thu, 15 Feb 2018, 15:15

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum