Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Are the stars aligning for a 6N expansion?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Are the stars aligning for a 6N expansion?

Postby Kiroshi » Sun, 26 Nov 2017, 15:17

4N wrote:If fairness, when doomsday was predicted for Romanian rugby a few years ago, few could have known you would become the nation to naturalize the most players outside of Hong Kong or UAE.

But, given how old your squad is, I'd check the arrogance.

Out of the top 20 countries there are at least 15 which have more naturalized players than us. But that's another discussion + naturalization is part of the game.
So again, speaking of arrogance, I'm still waiting for your latest premonition regarding the end of ROM Rugby. Come on just give us a date already! I'll make sure I check my calendar.

Postby 4N » Sun, 26 Nov 2017, 15:27

I really don't think many countries have naturalized more players than you in recent years. Ancestry players are a different story. Don't have time now but maybe later I will try to pull stats.

As far as the future is concerned, develop a younger squad like Georgia has. Simple as that. Then we won't need to have these discussions every few years.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 26 Nov 2017, 15:38

Why ancestry is not an issue? I think it is much bigger because it allows to select immediatly players that have nothing in common with the respective country (see Maitland or Anscombe cases) who didn't made the cut in their own countries to play test rugby. You are biased and a hater and it is obvious that for you Romania is the root of evil in test rugby. It seems that our ranking position is upsetting for some persons.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Sun, 26 Nov 2017, 15:52

amz wrote:it is obvious that for you Romania is the root of evil in test rugby. It seems that our ranking position is upsetting for some persons.

Believe me nobody really cares. Romania is not on 1st pages of T2 rugby and they can hire all the tongans who dont reach their own national team. Choice is their.

6N will eventually have to open the tournament. Thats unavoidable because it is basic rule of sports, whoever is better must play in higher division.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 26 Nov 2017, 16:05

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sun, 26 Nov 2017, 21:18

4N wrote:Drop Italy and replace them with Japan.

I had never thought about that option.

Given Japan's performances and market size, I guess it's more likely than Georgia.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 11:05

4N wrote:Drop Italy and replace them with Japan. If the 6N expands, Italy can bid to get back in along with Georgia.

What is the idea of destroying Italian rugby? Giving more chances to T2 countries yes, but destroying a big rugby nation like Italy has no logic.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 11:24

Not sure Japan is even interested in 6N, they probably are interested in The Championship and makes more sense having a team in Super Rugby. This is another fantasy idea of 4N based on nothing but his sympathies and wishful thinking

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 12:44

Bogdan_DC wrote:
4N wrote:Drop Italy and replace them with Japan. If the 6N expands, Italy can bid to get back in along with Georgia.

What is the idea of destroying Italian rugby? Giving more chances to T2 countries yes, but destroying a big rugby nation like Italy has no logic.

Agree, Italy is important nation for rugby. Better to promote team.

Postby 4N » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 13:15

Italy isn't a big rugby nation. I question if the national team's attendances would have grown without 6N participation.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 13:30

4N wrote:Italy isn't a big rugby nation. I question if the national team's attendances would have grown without 6N participation.

Pure ignorance.

Postby 4N » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 13:40

Yeah the crowds for Pro 14 in Italian rugby's supposed heartland are great. Like a Stejarii match.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby Scorpion » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 13:45

Add Geo & Rom

Make 2 pools, 4-4 each

It will take 3 weeks to play each other @ pool stage

Week 4 Semis:
A1 vs B2 and A2 vs B1
A3 vs B4 and A4 vs B3

Week 5 Finals:
Cup
Plate
Bowl
Shield

SELFSAME (!) playing DAYS = clubs happy

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 13:46

Bogdan_DC wrote:
4N wrote:Italy isn't a big rugby nation. I question if the national team's attendances would have grown without 6N participation.

Pure ignorance.

He is 100% right though. They wouldn't have. And that's the exact reason the 6 Nations need to be more open to grow our beloved sport.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 13:48

4N wrote:Yeah the crowds for Pro 14 in Italian rugby's supposed heartland are great. Like a Stejarii match.

In your logic Madagascar for exemple is a bigger rugby nations because have bigger crowds.No disrespect to Madagascar.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 13:54

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Bogdan_DC wrote:

Pure ignorance.

He is 100% right though. They wouldn't have. And that's the exact reason the 6 Nations need to be more open to grow our beloved sport.

So from where did you know that? And actually who got great club rugby crowds except UK&France? Even the big guys from South didn't have so many full house games.And anyway i say the same thing to open up the 6N BUT not to destroy Italy.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 14:31

Scorpion wrote:Add Geo & Rom

Make 2 pools, 4-4 each

Week 4 Semis:
A1 vs B2 and A2 vs B1
A3 vs B4 and A4 vs B3

Week 5 Finals:
Cup
Plate
Bowl
Shield

good idea. But we have to take into account: for Scotland and Wales the England matchup is very important. Considering this, my take is following:

Islands Group:

England
Ireland
Scotland
Wales

Continental Group:

France
Italy
REC1
REC2

Everyone knows who should be awarded those two places. But I won't take any sides, deal with it :-P

So now every team has played 3 games; the Top 2 from every group advance to the Cup, the bottom 2 to the Plate competition. Biggest problem of this version is, of course, that the groups are, as today, very imbalanced.

therefore there's need... for my second proposal:

Two groups à 4 teams. Based on the standings A1 is going to play B1 B2 and B3. B1 plays against A1 A2 and A3. A2 vs B1 B2 B4, B2 vs A1 A2 A4. A3 vs B1 B3 B4, B3 vs A1 A3 A4. A4 vs B2 B3 B4 and of course B4 vs A2 A3 A4.
Now we have a big drawback, because every team has to play 6 games. On the other hand, we can have a pretty fair tournament and you only miss 1 opponent per year. There's no possibility to miss someone twice in a row, because you can arrange pools for next year in the manner, that teams that didn't meet last year will be pooled the year after.

Still not perfect, but better than just adding 1 team.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 14:41

Bogdan_DC wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
Bogdan_DC wrote:

Pure ignorance.

So from where did you know that? And actually who got great club rugby crowds except UK&France? Even the big guys from South didn't have so many full house games.And anyway i say the same thing to open up the 6N BUT not to destroy Italy.

Well, if you don't play the best teams who also happen to have a big away support, you don't grow your audience. Especially in big nations like Italy, which are tradtionally good in more sports than just a couple. Maybe they would have grown to some degree but not as high as they are today.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Kiroshi » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 19:41

4N wrote:Yeah the crowds for Pro 14 in Italian rugby's supposed heartland are great. Like a Stejarii match.

Have you thought when our rugby dies?

Postby 4N » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 19:47

That would be terrible. Antim Cup is the most entertaining time of year here. :)

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 20:37

4N wrote:That would be terrible. Antim Cup is the most entertaining time of year here. :)

Or you can actually watch some rugby from time to time than spending time on this forum trying to act smart.

Postby 4N » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 21:01

Stop jumping to conclusions, it makes you look silly. Like the time you declared @T2Rugby was run by a Kiwi.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 21:06

rey200 wrote:
Scorpion wrote:Add Geo & Rom

Make 2 pools, 4-4 each

Week 4 Semis:
A1 vs B2 and A2 vs B1
A3 vs B4 and A4 vs B3

Week 5 Finals:
Cup
Plate
Bowl
Shield

good idea. But we have to take into account: for Scotland and Wales the England matchup is very important. Considering this, my take is following:

Islands Group:

England
Ireland
Scotland
Wales

Continental Group:

France
Italy
REC1
REC2

Everyone knows who should be awarded those two places. But I won't take any sides, deal with it :-P

So now every team has played 3 games; the Top 2 from every group advance to the Cup, the bottom 2 to the Plate competition. Biggest problem of this version is, of course, that the groups are, as today, very imbalanced.

therefore there's need... for my second proposal:

Two groups à 4 teams. Based on the standings A1 is going to play B1 B2 and B3. B1 plays against A1 A2 and A3. A2 vs B1 B2 B4, B2 vs A1 A2 A4. A3 vs B1 B3 B4, B3 vs A1 A3 A4. A4 vs B2 B3 B4 and of course B4 vs A2 A3 A4.
Now we have a big drawback, because every team has to play 6 games. On the other hand, we can have a pretty fair tournament and you only miss 1 opponent per year. There's no possibility to miss someone twice in a row, because you can arrange pools for next year in the manner, that teams that didn't meet last year will be pooled the year after.

Still not perfect, but better than just adding 1 team.

Or maybe, like RLWC, a "strong" pool (Home Nations group) with the 3 better teams qualifyied to the semis, and the Continental group where only the best team advance to the semi finals. Maybe if a "Continental" nation win the tournament, it allow an extra spot qualifyied for the semis the following year.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 21:08

4N wrote:Stop jumping to conclusions, it makes you look silly. Like the time you declared @T2Rugby was run by a Kiwi.

I am not jumping to conclusion, I make a judgment over the time you actually talk about rugby compared with time spent to troll or offend people.

Postby 4N » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 21:14

I'm here to debate. If you get offended personally by my comments on Romanian rugby, sorry. It's not meant to be directed at Romania or Romanians in general.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum