Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Are the stars aligning for a 6N expansion?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Are the stars aligning for a 6N expansion?

Postby iul » Sun, 15 Jul 2018, 12:45

Just go straight to 16 teams. The weaker teams will raise their level quickly because they'll generate a lot more money by participating in the Euro and they'll be able to professionalize their team.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 15 Jul 2018, 13:13

Yeah, it may sound reasonable but Tier 1 will never accept so many leechers.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 15 Jul 2018, 14:22

No weekends available for 16 teams, pretty obvious. More than 3 weekends means clash with clubs or player welfare policies. Come on, this is getting repetitive.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Sun, 15 Jul 2018, 21:15

I think the BIG picture with having a Rugby Euros is that, in football, the Euros trigger just as much excitement and fervour and celebration as the WC. So having a rugby Euros, you could argue it could very quickly become to RU just as important as UEFAs Euros.

So much so, that Euros are by most measure 3rd only behind FIFA/OIC - regardless of what PR comes out of WR etc RWC is dwarfed by Euros. The point here is that given the markets and timezones and commercial powerhouses in the wider Europe, it makes sense to develop a continent wide event like the Euros.

This would also provide a natural way to kill off 6N, which I think we all agree does not server the wider Rugby world. I'd rather watch a fledgling Rugby Euros with T1 B teams than the 6N any day.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 01:15

A pan-European tournament could be easily done with a knockout format.

o- Preliminary round: Georgia vs Belgium, Scotland vs Portugal, Italy vs Germany, Russia vs Romania.
o- Round of 8: P4 vs England, P3 vs Ireland, P2 vs France, P1 vs Wales.
o- Quarter-finals, semifinals, final.

Each team would play only 5 matches at most, and they could count also for the Six Nations / Rugby Europe Championship.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 03:26

jservuk wrote:I think the BIG picture with having a Rugby Euros is that, in football, the Euros trigger just as much excitement and fervour and celebration as the WC. So having a rugby Euros, you could argue it could very quickly become to RU just as important as UEFAs Euros.

So much so, that Euros are by most measure 3rd only behind FIFA/OIC - regardless of what PR comes out of WR etc RWC is dwarfed by Euros. The point here is that given the markets and timezones and commercial powerhouses in the wider Europe, it makes sense to develop a continent wide event like the Euros.

This would also provide a natural way to kill off 6N, which I think we all agree does not server the wider Rugby world. I'd rather watch a fledgling Rugby Euros with T1 B teams than the 6N any day.

I want to see true rugby development across the board like anyone else but I do not wish to see the end of competitions like 6 Nations, that’s ridiculous. These games are extremely entertaining to watch, even if Italy is shoved in here for some reason. Nothing better than England-Ireland/Scotland/Wales.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 07:20

NaBUru38 wrote:A pan-European tournament could be easily done with a knockout format.

o- Preliminary round: Georgia vs Belgium, Scotland vs Portugal, Italy vs Germany, Russia vs Romania.

Each team would play only 5 matches at most, and they could count also for the Six Nations / Rugby Europe Championship.

You counted the quarter-finals two times. How could games count for the REC or the 6N. This makes absolutely no sense, if you think about it (bye-weekend for those who already played each other?). The Preliminary round is senseless imho as 4 REC teams would play the same opponent again which kind of kills of the initial purpose.
Nice idea, but I think this wouldn't work.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 08:31

A Rugby Euro and the existing 6 Nations/REC can still work together. The problem is going to be if a Euro Cup gets off the the 6 Nations are going to want a permanent place at the tournament, and as far as I'm concerned that can't be allowed to happen. Initially, the first tournament would have to be the 6N + the top 5 REC teams + the RET winner. After that though there would have to be some type of structure in place to make sure it's not a closed shop.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 11:50

thatrugbyguy wrote:A Rugby Euro and the existing 6 Nations/REC can still work together. The problem is going to be if a Euro Cup gets off the the 6 Nations are going to want a permanent place at the tournament, and as far as I'm concerned that can't be allowed to happen. Initially, the first tournament would have to be the 6N + the top 5 REC teams + the RET winner. After that though there would have to be some type of structure in place to make sure it's not a closed shop.

If it gets off the ground there will probably auto-qualification spots like the RWC. Say in a 16 team format^ (4*4) (with 1st going to semis, 2nd to 5-8th classification matches etc), I could see 1st places in groups auto qualifying, 5th, 6th, 7th auto-qualifying, then 9th auto-qualifying as well. The other 8 spots could be filled via qualification matches. There's 41 European nations in the 6N+REICs, 33 won't have auto-qualified. Split them into 7*4, 1*4 (with two development sides playing to be the 4th sides). Then they can either be straight knockouts, or a round robin in the summer prior.

^I think that this could be quite likely of the 3rd or 4th edition, if held in the summer, with regulations preventing one player from appearing in all 5 match day XVs.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 12:49

In all honesty I think 12 is probably the most you can ask for at this stage. Frankly I'm not sure how a qualifying system can work for both RWC and a Rugby Euro, unless the Euro also acts as RWC qualifying maybe? This is the potential four year cycle:

2020 - Regular season
2021 - Lions / Euro Cup
2022 - Regular season
2023 - World Cup

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 12:59

RugbyLiebe wrote:
NaBUru38 wrote:A pan-European tournament could be easily done with a knockout format.

You counted the quarter-finals two times. How could games count for the REC or the 6N. This makes absolutely no sense, if you think about it (bye-weekend for those who already played each other?). The Preliminary round is senseless imho as 4 REC teams would play the same opponent again which kind of kills of the initial purpose.
Nice idea, but I think this wouldn't work.

How is the preliminary round senseless? In this scenario, Portugal and Germany are playing against two Tier 1 countries that play in the Six Nations. Then in the next round, at least 2 Tier 2 countries will play Tier 1 countries. It would likely be Georgia and Romania though so it isn't spreading rugby as far as people would prefer. Honestly if there was going to be a preliminary round like this rather than a Pool then you might as well add 2 extra games and take the countries from the Round of 8.

In all likelihood, I expect to see Pools of 3 or 4 with the best 1 or 2 teams advancing.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 13:05

thatrugbyguy wrote:In all honesty I think 12 is probably the most you can ask for at this stage. Frankly I'm not sure how a qualifying system can work for both RWC and a Rugby Euro, unless the Euro also acts as RWC qualifying maybe? This is the potential four year cycle:

2020 - Regular season
2021 - Lions / Euro Cup
2022 - Regular season
2023 - World Cup

Yeah, it'll almost certainly launch with 12, probably the right number for the first few times.

Euro qualifying could take place in the 2020 season. currently there's no matches in the June/July window for European T3s. Maybe even in August, which lots of Europe has off, which would enable most teams to fit more training in before matches.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 13:39

Tobar wrote:
How is the preliminary round senseless? In this scenario, Portugal and Germany are playing against two Tier 1 countries that play in the Six Nations. Then in the next round, at least 2 Tier 2 countries will play Tier 1 countries. It would likely be Georgia and Romania though so it isn't spreading rugby as far as people would prefer. Honestly if there was going to be a preliminary round like this rather than a Pool then you might as well add 2 extra games and take the countries from the Round of 8.

In all likelihood, I expect to see Pools of 3 or 4 with the best 1 or 2 teams advancing.

It is senseless for the loser of Russia vs Romania and Georgia vs. Belgium. Everybody gets at least one game against a 6N side or why bother? One could also just simply have 8 teams then, which kind of also kills the purpose.
Also somehow Spain got totally lost in this (strangely replaced by Portugal). So it is which team who gets the tier1 game and which team that doesn't?

I mean for out of this 6 REC teams 4 are actually in the top 20 of the world on this very day. 2 more from Europe in the top25 and two more in the top30.

I agree with a more likely pool set up. I also hate the 12-team-format, but well than lets have those 3 groups of 4.
Or if that's the only chance to have some tier1 games a 4 groups with 3 teams setup, with a groupA+B playing on Friday, Tuesday and Saturday, group C+D playing Saturday, Wednesday, Sunday, semi-final on Saturday, final on Saturday. That's three weeks then.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 18:52

Logistically I think 4 pools of 3 makes more sense (only 3 games needed vs 4 games for pool play) but I don't think they would want that. It also limits the amount of teams able to make it to the next round - it basically guarantees that it will only be Tier 1 countries and the Tier 2 countries have 0 shot (assuming only the 1st place of each pool advances). If it's 3 pools of 4 then there's at least a chance someone like Romania or Georgia break into the top 6 over someone like France or Italy.

Or if that's the only chance to have some tier1 games a 4 groups with 3 teams setup, with a groupA+B playing on Friday, Tuesday and Saturday, group C+D playing Saturday, Wednesday, Sunday, semi-final on Saturday, final on Saturday. That's three weeks then.

Honestly though, I don't really mind if the first Euro cup takes place during a Lions year. The bottom tiered teams will surely get a real shellacking and it still offers great experience for the teams. If it's a way to help convince the rugby fans that it's a good idea then I'm down with it. If all the games are hosted in a nice destination place like Spain/France and around the time people typically take off for holiday (I think it's August for you lot) then I think it would get a good amount of fans there. If there's a game to be played pretty much every day then people will turn up for the party. I'd prefer the second or third one to be in an off year though.

Off topic but I'd really like to see more of Georgia vs France considering how many Georgians there are in the French rugby leagues.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 01:29

RugbyLiebe wrote: The Preliminary round is senseless imho as 4 REC teams would play the same opponent again which kind of kills of the initial purpose.

Correct, I forgot that there would be more preliminary rounds. In each round, the previous four winners would play the next four teams. So in the last preliminary round, the previous four winners would play Scotland, Italy, Georgia and Russia.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby ihateblazers » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 10:53

I think it has been mentioned here before but an 8 team European championship with 2 pools played in the 6 nations window would probably be the best solution and there would have to be some compromises from Rugby Europe.

First of all, regardless of success in the tournament, the lower placed Rugby Europe team plays off with the winners of REC to stay in the tournament, like the RET/REC relegation game now it could be played in July. I know its ridiculous and unfair but if we want to have promotion and relegation it's the only way it will go through at this stage. Same could be applied for promotion and relegation in the 6 nations but i'd rather see at least 1 REC team stay in the comp then none and a 7 nations is not practical in the calendar.

Pool A =
1. England
2. Wales
3. Ireland
4. Scotland

Pool B =
1. France
2. Italy
3. T2 (Georgia)
4. T2 (Spain)

Semi Finals for top 4, final and a 3rd place game. Semi finals for bottom 4, 5th place final and a wooden spoon decider.

This way the home nations don't lose their annual rivalry fixtures which they are so precious about and every team has 5 matches but we still get T2 involvement. This is how the football euros started off after all.

If RWC qualification is changed we can open and expand the competition and change the format as well. Hopefully with some level of promotion and relegation it would open up investment in the rest of Rugby Europe. 8 teams with 2 pools could be replicated at REC level like they are currently suggesting.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 12:45

ihateblazers wrote:I think it has been mentioned here before but an 8 team European championship with 2 pools played in the 6 nations window would probably be the best solution and there would have to be some compromises from Rugby Europe.

First of all, regardless of success in the tournament, the lower placed Rugby Europe team plays off with the winners of REC to stay in the tournament, like the RET/REC relegation game now it could be played in July. I know its ridiculous and unfair but if we want to have promotion and relegation it's the only way it will go through at this stage. Same could be applied for promotion and relegation in the 6 nations but i'd rather see at least 1 REC team stay in the comp then none and a 7 nations is not practical in the calendar.

Pool A =
1. England
2. Wales
3. Ireland
4. Scotland

Pool B =
1. France
2. Italy
3. T2 (Georgia)
4. T2 (Spain)

Semi Finals for top 4, final and a 3rd place game. Semi finals for bottom 4, 5th place final and a wooden spoon decider.

This way the home nations don't lose their annual rivalry fixtures which they are so precious about and every team has 5 matches but we still get T2 involvement. This is how the football euros started off after all.

If RWC qualification is changed we can open and expand the competition and change the format as well. Hopefully with some level of promotion and relegation it would open up investment in the rest of Rugby Europe. 8 teams with 2 pools could be replicated at REC level like they are currently suggesting.

I quite like this. It does have its downsides. The Auld Alliance fixture, France vs Scotland is gone, but that could be played in the autumn. I don't think that relegation is acceptable at the moment; it would bankrupt any relegated union. Whilst Italy should welcome some games they can win, France have much worse fixtures to what they currently have. This could be improved if Japan was added to the tournament, not Spain, or even add Argentina playing out of Spain (but that is probably not acceptable to the Jaguares and Super Rugby).
Something I do think needs to happen as soon as possible is to expand REC to include Netherlands and Germany. Before there can be relegation from the Six Nations there needs to be a professional and well supported tier 2 in Europe. Only then will Six Nations teams consider agreeing to relegation.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 16:09

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
ihateblazers wrote:I think it has been mentioned here before but an 8 team European championship with 2 pools played in the 6 nations window would probably be the best solution and there would have to be some compromises from Rugby Europe.

Pool A =
1. England
2. Wales
3. Ireland
4. Scotland

Pool B =
1. France
2. Italy
3. T2 (Georgia)
4. T2 (Spain)

I quite like this. It does have its downsides. The Auld Alliance fixture, France vs Scotland is gone, but that could be played in the autumn. I don't think that relegation is acceptable at the moment; it would bankrupt any relegated union. Whilst Italy should welcome some games they can win, France have much worse fixtures to what they currently have. This could be improved if Japan was added to the tournament, not Spain, or even add Argentina playing out of Spain (but that is probably not acceptable to the Jaguares and Super Rugby).
Something I do think needs to happen as soon as possible is to expand REC to include Netherlands and Germany. Before there can be relegation from the Six Nations there needs to be a professional and well supported tier 2 in Europe. Only then will Six Nations teams consider agreeing to relegation.

Something very similar has been suggested before and I like it.
The plan was to have 10 teams in 2 division of 5 merit based.
Teams play 4 matches over 5 weeks, then have play offs for everyone, so 1Av3B, 2Av2B,3Av1B, 4Av5A.
Winners and losers also play week 2 and week 3, championship and plate, the plate winners qualify for div 1 next season. Done and dusted over 7 weeks as now.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 17:31

Pool A =
1. England
2. Wales
3. Ireland
4. Scotland

Pool B =
1. France
2. Italy
3. T2 (Georgia)
4. T2 (Spain)

Back to the future, Doc. That's exactly what happened in the 1930s after France got the boot from 5 Nations, apart from the playoffs. The French set up FIRA and rugby league also got off the ground. So a blessing in disguise for both codes really. Incidentally, Catalonia were a founding member of FIRA and have been battling to get back into the championship, re-branded ENC, but are prevented by the government in Moncloa.

Les Bleus returned with a vengeance after WWII, winning 5 titles in the 1960s (one shared), and have been en vogue ever since. The Home Unions would be as loath to part company with their Gallic neighbors today as they would with each other. Indeed, what would the Championship be sans Le Crunch? & no doubt the French themselves would poo-poo any suggestion of trading in the Home Unions for Italy and a couple of tier 2 or 3 teams.

That's not my personal perspective but would likely be theirs, which is why I advocate a simple promotion-relegation fixture to tie the 6 Nations and ENC together with as little disruption as possible. Not the best solution for rugby in general, but with that one simple step rugby could create an all-in annual championship that would be the envy of other sports in Europe - including soccer. It might even lead to an idea like yours.

Also, if the 6 Nations side were given home advantage in the promo-relegation match, they could be fairly confident that even Italy would be safe for the foreseeable future (although it would certainly spice up the lower end of the table). That's not to demean the ENC, but aside from playing at a significantly higher level with a greater degree of professionalism, the 6 Nations have the overwhelming advantage in terms of registered player numbers:

France 542,000
England 382,000
Ireland 102,000
Italy 87,000
Wales 83,000
Scotland 50,000

Romania 10,000
Georgia 8,000
Russia 25,000
Spain 34,000
Belgium 12,000
Portugal 6,000

Source: World Rugby
Last edited by Edgar on Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 17:35, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 17:32

Scotland has barely 36,000, basically the same as Spain:
https://www.theoffsideline.com/sru-player-numbers/

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 17:59

Armchair Fan wrote:Scotland has barely 36,000, basically the same as Spain:
https://www.theoffsideline.com/sru-player-numbers/

36,000 is plenty. Scotland's problem is they only have 2 professional teams to pick from.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Scoob » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 18:11

I think we are in dreamland if we think 6 nations are going to do anything that is going to promote other nations or jeopadise there own.
Sure if you add teams from Spain Georgia USA Japan that might or might not bring in extra revenue,they are not going to risk something unless it is fullproof with massive $$$ to be made for them to even consider it.
Even if the game is struggling for money and spectator attendance in Wales,Italy Scotland i think the unions would rather struggle and try to figure out amongst there own brigade to solve the problem than sharing money or promoting ideas with other countries.
The 6 nations have more or less said to the whole rugby world,find your own competition and money to do things cause we are out of bounds,and basically thats what major league rugby and several new pro tournaments are doing.
We will see in years to come what effect these new competions will have on SANZAAR and 6 nations,but the tide is turning with players from all over the world being signed up to play major league rugby,Global rapid rugby etc. And if established countries like Scotland start plumeting down world rankings,and there are warning signs already with Scotland relegated to junior world trophy,failing make quarter finals rugby world cup,then they have got no one to blame but themselves as they refused to evolve.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 19:17

France v England is as big a match as any other in the 6N. I think a review of viewing figures might even put it as the biggest one for England's TV audience.

Just have a draw of the pools, can be seeded a bit if you like, but this "Home nations pool" for ever is a non-starter for me. I can't believe French TV would be on board either to be frank.

The format otherwise is fine, but would need a lot of cash from TV to make it happen as the current deal nets a lot of cash and has none of the risk associated with change.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 05 Jan 2020, 20:34

Does anybody remember a video by former players on TV claiming that Georgia shouldn't be invited to Six Nations because emerging nations had other places where to develop like the Sevens World Series? A Twitter discussion brought this to my mind but I'm unable to recall who was the idiot one and where is that video from.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby ihateblazers » Tue, 07 Jan 2020, 07:26

sk 88 wrote:France v England is as big a match as any other in the 6N. I think a review of viewing figures might even put it as the biggest one for England's TV audience.

Just have a draw of the pools, can be seeded a bit if you like, but this "Home nations pool" for ever is a non-starter for me. I can't believe French TV would be on board either to be frank.

The format otherwise is fine, but would need a lot of cash from TV to make it happen as the current deal nets a lot of cash and has none of the risk associated with change.

My line of thinking is that it would be the least risky option for the 6 nations if they are trying to appeal to pan-european sponsors. Have to bear in mind that CVC will be in charge of commercial rights soon and you'd have to question if they will really be able to get much more from the British market, unless they go to pay TV which would kill rugby in the UK.

I think that on average the Celts v England games have the highest ratings but yes, France v England is usually the highest single rated game, apart from maybe England v Wales depending on the importance and time slot. The British TV rights make up the majority of revenue though, obviously due to having 3 teams in it's market. You would still keep the majority of these games and a final match in a prime time TV slot would be attractive.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum