8. Newman, 52 (10-1-11)
9. Regatas Bella Vista, 44 (8-2-12)
10. CUBA, 41 (7-15)
11. San Martín, 20 (4-18)
12. Lomas, 9 (1-21)

Semifinals:

San Luis - Alumni
Belgrano - Hindú

Lomas and San Martín were relegated. CUBA will play a repechage versus Los Tilos.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Argentine club rugby

Postby Salta » Mon, 12 Nov 2018, 01:26

The most competitive tournament in Argentina has a new champion, Los Tarcos beat Tucuman Rugby 21-16 in the NOA tournament final.

(last minutes)
https://www.facebook.com/eltucumanoOK/v ... 068690120/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 21 Nov 2018, 09:25

Do you know if and where former Italy's national team centre Gonzalo Garcia plays now? He should have come back in Argentina

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 21 Nov 2018, 16:41

He retired last season playing for Marista in his native Mendoza. He is now the sporting director of the club.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 21 Nov 2018, 17:48

Thank you :!:

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 18:57

Any news about the future of the Campeonato Argentino de Mayores?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 20:44

Still dead. It won't be played in 2019

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 21:18

Maybe the South American League teams in Argentina will have some link to the strongest provincial sides? I guess Tucumán Naranjas and Córdoba Dogos would be pretty much logical candidates.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 23:13

If it was down to tradition, there is no doubt that both of them will make the cut. The problem is securing an investor. I haven’t heard anything from them in that regard. Or from anyone to be honest.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 26 Nov 2018, 22:50

Alumni defeated the odds and won the Top 12 URBA versus Hindú.

- o -

The Seven de la República (for province teams) will be held in 3 weeks.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby eal22 » Sun, 03 Feb 2019, 23:00

Can somebody clarify which clubs are playing in the Nacional de Clubes in 2019?

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 18 Feb 2019, 14:48

The 2019 URBA Top 12 regular season will start on March 16 and end on September 14. The semis will be on September 28-29 and the final on October 5.

The URBA Primera A / B / C will start on March 23 and end on November 2.

Full fixtures here: http://urba.org.ar/useruploads/notas/ar ... a_2672.pdf

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 18 Feb 2019, 14:56

The province and regional tournaments will be held from March 9 to July 27.

The Torneo del Interior A will be played from August 3 to September 28.

The Torneo del Interior B will be played from August 3 to October 19.

The Nacional de Clubes will be held from October 12 to November 16.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 18:12

is this really better for clubs?

I really believe the national competion should be spread through the whole year, just like the European Cup.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby tryman » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 19:34

Can someone from Argentina please inform me if rugby is getting more popular in the country?

From the outside looking in the UAR do a good job, maybe that’s an incorrect statement I don’t know. The national team play matches all over the country and they seem very well attended. I believe they have academy’s set up all over the country too.

I see the former captain and great hooker Creevy has turned down big deals in Europe after the World Cup to stay in Argentina. The Super Rugby team is work in progress but very much used as a feeder team to the national side, although after the World Cup they need to start selecting foreign based players.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby JamesWales » Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 23:41

I always find looking in respective nations newspapers/websites quite a good way to gauge things.

Ole is only one, but I find relatively little rugby coverage there, and even when Jaguares play, it's towards the bottom of the website. I actually see rugby stories higher up the website in both Marca (spain) and ovacion (uruguay)

https://www.ole.com.ar/

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 22 Feb 2019, 00:35

I don't think it's the best method. Sport daily press in Spanish-speaking countries is often comparable to tabloids in the UK. The target is more or less the same, nationalistic headlines, use of popular vocabulary... And when we know rugby is rather an elite sport in Argentina it makes sense that it hasn't got so much weight in a newspaper like Olé.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Fri, 22 Feb 2019, 08:38

tryman wrote:Can someone from Argentina please inform me if rugby is getting more popular in the country?

From the outside looking in the UAR do a good job, maybe that’s an incorrect statement I don’t know. The national team play matches all over the country and they seem very well attended. I believe they have academy’s set up all over the country too.

I see the former captain and great hooker Creevy has turned down big deals in Europe after the World Cup to stay in Argentina. The Super Rugby team is work in progress but very much used as a feeder team to the national side, although after the World Cup they need to start selecting foreign based players.

Playing numbers seem fine. There has been steady growth with upticks in World Cup years. The UAR has done a decent job sending Pumas/Arg. XV throughout the country and combining those fixtures with GIR programs, coaching clinics, legacy actions, etc. Women rugby, mixed ability and prison rugby are also making strides winning some PR points.

Media coverage is pretty much the same. Hard to sell the Pumas/Jaguares brand to a broader audience with their current form. Attendance is also an issue. In a weekend without URBA, only 7.634 fans showed up in Velez.

Creevy is staying for family reasons. Jaguares will be gutted after the RWC, particularly players in their late twenties like Matera, Petti, Lavanini, Moyano, O. Desio, Montoya, Moroni, Lezana, Tetaz etc.. I assume there will be some sort of cap threshold from then on.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 23 Feb 2019, 20:40

Please remember to distinguish between fan popularity and amateur participation.

Argentina has a very healthy number of amateur players. Rugby fans are a niché versus football, where fandom is compulsory according to the constitution or so :P

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Thu, 13 Jun 2019, 01:18

CURRIE CUP
JAGUARES XV FIXTURES
http://www.jaguares.com.ar/2019/06/se-c ... l_id=13462

July 6
Griffons vs Jaguares XV

July 13
Jaguares XV vs Boland Cavaliers

July 19/20
Border Bulldogs vs Jaguares XV

July 26/27
EP Elephants vs Jaguares XV

August 2/3
Jaguares XV vs SWD Eagles

August 9/10
Valke v Jaguares XV

August 16/17
Jaguares XV vs Leopards

August 23/24
Semi Finals

Friday August 30
Final

(All of the home games for the Jaguares XV are to take place in Potchefstroom, the same location used by the Pampas XV in the Vodacom Cup).

Postby Raven » Thu, 13 Jun 2019, 11:27

Does anybody know (with some sort of reassurance) if this Jaguares XV side aims to be competitive and go for promotion into the top flight from the go or if their intention is just to keep giving players some experience? I mean, in the Currie Cup Premier the other RSA franchises do give game time to their first team players who aren´t involved in the RCh...

Argentina XV looked savvy in the ARC highlights -I admit I didn´t see all complete games-, with some key players then making their way to the Jaguares during SR and also playing well there (F. Ezcurra, Carreras, Miotti, now Gorrissen will get his chance too) then they had almost no opposition in the SAR"A" (especially with proven outfits like Matias Osadczuk & Manuel Montero playing in the park...) Now a handful of names were meant to add spice in the Nations Cup squad but so far nothing special has been seen, mind you some did not feature at all in the end - I actually posted something similar in the Nations Cup thread. The lack of some of these impact players was noticeable.

My doubts rise cause I´ve read here and in some press articles that the "Jaguares XV" side will have SR players as well as ArgXV, not a hard thing to envision. Naturally the best Jags will be involved in the approx. 36 man squad for the RCh and ultimately, the final 31 for the RWC build up. Now for instance, assuming the first 2 fly half options for Ledesma are the France based players, will either Miotti or Diaz Bonilla (or both?), two proven good Nr10 play in the Currie Cup 1st Div. or will they be rested until the next SR campaing while a 20-21 year old from ArgXV is selected to gather experience? (I ask this thinking Sanchez has his RWC spot for sure and Urdapilleta was brought in to play at test level to try him before the RWC, plus he´s also ineligible to travel with Jaguares XV so it´s either RCh or back to France)
I can think of other cases, S.Garcia Botta and S.Gonzalez Iglesias are IMPO unlikely to make the cut for this RWC, plus one is leaving in October, and the other (who´s 30) still hasn´t signed a new contract with Jaguares, not bad players and both experienced, will they be sent to Jaguares XV cause they still hired by UAR, are fit and a great options to have or would they rather make way to younger players who may not be used to this level yet to see how they perform?
Looking in details and into some position cases, Juan Pablo Zeiss / Javier Diaz / Enrique Pieretto all haven´t played much this season (or Garcia Botta for that matter) but neither of these have a lot of international experience, maybe for them it wouldn´t be a bad idea to be part of the Jaguares XV to see if they can catch up with the others (who btw aren´t the best props Super Rugby has to offer) or if it´s time to see a bit more of Zapata, Solveyra and Favre for instance.
The backrow and wingers have a different scenario IMO, Juan Manuel Leguizamon is probably disputing a backrow spot with Tomas Lezana and Javier Ortega Desio, again, all proven players and one may not make the RWC list; on the other hand Sebastian Cancelliere and S.Carreras are on fire at the moment but the first picks for everybody (with S.Cordero and J.Imhoff out of the picture) are R.Moyano, B.Delguy and Boffelli -providing Tuculet is fit and able to play as starting 15-; then JC.Mallia would be a RWC contender as he can play in several positions...

So, does anybody envision a Jaguares XV with so many test internationals?

No one here has a cristal ball I suppose, and ultimately the mix is what comes to mind to all of us, but will it be a 50% Jaguares - 50% ArgXV?, 60-40?, 70-30?; or a complete opposite? I am also "guess-uming" some Pumitas will be sent over too - Pedemonte and Mendy have been pretty outstanding.

If Pumas is the ultimate goal for everybody, coaches have Jaguares in SR & Jaguares XV in the Currie Cup to observe their best 50 guys (with some playing both comps), and then Argentina XV would have a few Jaguares XV and the ARC will be more of a testing platform for less experienced players, even more than it already was.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 13 Jun 2019, 12:39

Look at the calendar. Currie Cup is going to ber played together with The Rugby Championship... in a RWC year, I don't believe Argentina will kill its players...

Postby Raven » Thu, 13 Jun 2019, 14:16

Yeah, I know, but that´s the thing, Ledesma named an initial 46 men training squad, on a normal Rugby Championship teams announce an initial 34/36 man squad although there´s always a few reserves for injury... in this shorter version + a RWC warm up game in South Africa I don´t think we´ll be able to see all 46.... especially with some positions still a bit unclear given the rotation Jaguares have had and the addition of the European based players. There´s 4 scrum halves, 4 fly halfs (plus others who can play in that position if required), you reckon he´ll use one 9-10 pair for each game?...

If anything, it´s a happy place to be at.

Postby Raven » Tue, 25 Jun 2019, 09:30

So I wasn´t THAT mistaken I guess... :P

- Bautista Delguy, Gonzalo Bertranou, Bautista Ezcurra, Juan Cruz Mallia, Lucio Sordoni, Rodrigo Bruni and Javier Diaz, will be joining the Currie Cup Squad once the Super Rugby season is over (hopefully not this weekend!) Then Santiago Carreras, Domingo Miotti and Francisco Gorrissen will also be joining throughout the competition.
- 2 players from Los Pumitas 2019: Mateo Carreras and Juan Pablo Castro.
- And a return from Santiago Grondona, who was a part of Los Pumas last November.

Squad:

1- Lautaro Bavaro (Hindú)
2- Gonzalo Bertranou (Jaguares) *
3- Rodrigo Bruni (Jaguares) *
4- Ignacio Calas (La Tablada)
5- Mateo Carreras (Los Tarcos)
6- Santiago Carreras (Córdoba Athletic) *
7- Teo Castiglioni (GER)
8- Juan Pablo Castro (San Juan RC)
9- Facundo Cordero (Regatas)
10- Tomás Cubilla (Alumni)
11- Gregorio Del Prete (San Luis)
12- Bautista Delguy (Jaguares) *
13- Javier Díaz (Jaguares) *
14- Julián Domínguez (Pucará)
15- Martín Elías (Atlético del Rosario)
16- Bautista Ezcurra (Jaguares) *
17- Martín Fernández Segurotti (Curupaytí)
18- José Luis González (Tucumán Rugby)
19- Francisco Gorrissen (Belgrano) *
20- Santiago Grondona (Champagnat)
21- Juan Cruz Mallía (Jaguares) *
22- Rodrigo Martínez (Los Tordos)
23- Domingo Miotti (Tucumán Lawn Tennis) *
24- Franco Molina (Jockey de Córdoba)
25- Santiago Montagner (Alumni)
26- Leonel Oviedo (Córdoba Athletic)
27- Santiago Portillo (Los Tarcos)
28- Lucas Santa Cruz (Pucará)
29- Agustín Segura (Jockey de Córdoba)
30- Nicolás Solveyra (CUBA)
31- Lucio Sordoni (Jaguares) *
32- Jerónimo Ureta (Newman)

Delguy and Bertranou are probably sent there to get back into playing rythm as the Rugby Championship might be quite demanding physicaly.

I am surprised that Juan Pablo Zeiss and Manuel Montero aren´t in this list. Matias Osadczuk has been called to the Sevens squad again, also a notbale absentee perhaps. Will Lucas Mensa add a R.Ch cap this season? was one of the surprising names of the 46-man list given by Ledesma and isn´t on this squad....

Edit:
On a second read, other players that we might as well assume are dropped are Bruno Fortuny and Gaspar Baldunciel (both in the Jaguares extended roster for this season, but not part of the list given by Ledesma nor this squad either)
Santiago Socino will probably get some playing time in the Rugby Championship as they might as well rest both Creevy and Montoya.
I could have expected other notable Pumitas like Pedemonte, Mendy or Chocobares (last 2 started the season with Jaguares as well) but I suppose their time will come next season with a few departures and end of contracts with the Jaguares 1st XV.

It´s a good team, maybe they will chase promotion after all.

National Flag:
EritreaEritrea

Postby Rugbyfan69 » Sat, 06 Jul 2019, 13:04

Tell me pls, when I can to watch or downloaded URBA games ?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum