Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Servette Genf Rugby

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby Raven » Mon, 01 Jul 2019, 14:17

vino_93 wrote:Anyway, I don't think french federation will accept it anew. There was a massiv opposition against them by french clubs. Not so many of them like to see pro players destroying 100% amateur teams... and it's difficult for the FFR to put a team directly in Fédérale 3. So ... they are probably the last giving this opportunity (except a few clubs from Luxemburg, Monaco or Andorra maybe).

Well, to my surprise when seeing the pools for next season I saw Monaco is in Pool 6 of the Federale 3 :shock: I wasn´t aware that they where in the Federale system or had been promoted for next season.

Servette in Pool 3

And a team called CONDOM (for real, https://sacondomrugby.clubeo.com/ ) in Pool 12.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 01 Jul 2019, 14:38

There used to be a player called Condom too, always good for risque jokes.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 01 Jul 2019, 21:33

Missed it too for Monaco. Good for them. One of their coach is Luciano Orquera, former Italian international !

Yes Condom is a small city in south-west :)

Postby Raven » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 09:43

vino_93 wrote:Missed it too for Monaco. Good for them. One of their coach is Luciano Orquera, former Italian international !

Back when Italy had an average of 6/7 Argentines playing for them...

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 17 Sep 2019, 13:00

So Servette won its first game, 23-25 in Bellegarde. Bellegarde should be one of the strongest, being relegated from Fédérale 2.

Other teams in the pool are : Riom, Tarare, Givors, Villars-les-Dombes, Cusset (P), Rhône Sportif, Saint-Marcel-Bel-Accueil, Ampuis, Saint-Savin (R) & Andrézieux-Bouthéon.

Monaco joins too, in Pool 6. But they lost 38-26 against Aix UC.

Postby Raven » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 11:16

So the streak continued and won their 11 games of the first round, although results keep getting closer. They do have an 11point advantage over the second position team...

Monaco on the other hand isn´t having the same luck, and they are 9th (out of 12) Seems to be the end of the road of them in the promotion spree, at least for this season.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 11:43

If you watching them on social media , you clearly see a strategy and a plan which leads them directly into the higher leaques , They have regular business events and the have a fantastic youth academy. You will see them in 5 years at least in Fed 1

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 12:18

germanbullsfan wrote:If you watching them on social media , you clearly see a strategy and a plan which leads them directly into the higher leaques , They have regular business events and the have a fantastic youth academy. You will see them in 5 years at least in Fed 1

They can be in 2 seasons I guess. They will easily leave Fédérale 3 this year. Fédérale 2 shouldn't be a big problem for them neither, considering they were playing with Fédérale 1 / 2 players in Honneurs. They have enough money to be promoted from Fédérale 2 to Fédérale 1 next season.
Then finally, we will see what they can achieve once in Fédérale 1.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 15:17

Raven wrote:So the streak continued and won their 11 games of the first round, although results keep getting closer. They do have an 11point advantage over the second position team...

Monaco on the other hand isn´t having the same luck, and they are 9th (out of 12) Seems to be the end of the road of them in the promotion spree, at least for this season.

Monaco will play the new French Super Sevens. It is a 16 teams series with the 14 Top14 clubs, French Barbarians and Monaco. I guess that's their current focus.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 18:41

victorsra wrote:
Raven wrote:So the streak continued and won their 11 games of the first round, although results keep getting closer. They do have an 11point advantage over the second position team...

Monaco will play the new French Super Sevens. It is a 16 teams series with the 14 Top14 clubs, French Barbarians and Monaco. I guess that's their current focus.

For the moment this is only a one off event. There are plans to expand it to 3 or 4 events, but that's not that much to run a team a whole season... I will be interested to see who will play for them in super sevens.

Postby Raven » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 14:12

Servette is still on first position but have lost twice, once against ASSMIDA who are on 5th place, pretty surprising defeat IMO, and the other against Saint Savin who are currently 2nd and 5 points behind the Geneva based team.

Quite surprising, my assumption as per all the comments Federale 3 was going to be quite achievable... Just the 1st of each Pool goes through to the Play Offs, right?

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 16:18

No, it's up to the 4th + the 8 best 5th.
To be promoted you need to go to the last 16.

There was an interesting reportage in a magazine last month about the club.
It says how unpopular is the club when travelling, being insulted more or less everywhere, due to the money it has.
The club says there is no pro player, but he find them good job in Switzerland or youth coaching. It might be true, but its budget is so high than I think there are many junior coaches :D
Anyway it seems the club has changed its way. They don't want to join pro league anymore, it talks only about federale 1 and developing Swiss rugby. It says there's a lot of investment to promote the sport to youngsters. the club wants to develop good Swiss talent. And these youths will be jiff, because the academy is in French Geneva suburbs.
Anyway the club is so rich that they should be easily in the top of federale 1 if they keep going like that.

Postby Raven » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 16:23

Well that I didn´t know!

I suppose they have now 2 or 3 more years to decide what to do anyway... If they were to be given the chance to go to ProD2 with the current set up I´d imagine they would struggle anyway.

How popular is the team for their own home games? have they built a decent crowd there? (I haven´t seen many highlights of this season so far)

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 17:16

They have much More time to build for Pro D2. I guess joining federale 1 will be easy, but then it will be a bit more complicated. There's something like 15 fed 1 clubs willing to join Pro D2 in the future... So it can take them a long time.

Looking at pics they play mostly in front of nobody ...

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Duke of Earl » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 19:56

Is the improvement in Switzerland national team due , in part , to the move up the divisions for Servette

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 21:02

Fed 1 has good coverage in France. Does Geneva/French speaking Switzerland get French papers/TV? I assume they do + have their own as well given their location. You certainly couldn't block a terrestrial signal to their anyway.

Taking a period to develop in that league would be no disaster, and possibly a positive if used properly.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby theDarky » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 21:31

I live in the Geneva Area ... Le Temps and La Tribune de Geneve talked about the team in their newspapers but not so much

I'm sure they will be blocked soon by the fact they don't provide any JIFF players

JIFF means "Joueurs Issues de la Formation Francaise" which is a program to provide french players for the national teams ...

In clear, it's ok if they play in the amateur system but for the professional leagues sorry guys but they are useless for the FFR.

Big clubs will not share of the cake if they dont have the same rules.

And dont talk about the AS Monaco in the French Ligue 1 ... they provided many international players like Thierry Henry, David Trezeguet or Kylian Mbappé ...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 21:54

This is a great strategy from Switzerland. Belgium could try to do the same as well.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby theDarky » Tue, 10 Mar 2020, 22:07

victorsra wrote:This is a great strategy from Switzerland. Belgium could try to do the same as well.

For your information, Anderlecht played the french championship in the 60's but we invited them to create their own league.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championn ... _%C3%A0_XV

But sorry, the FFR is not here to develop foreign clubs ...

They can receive help for their federations using Europe Rugby (ex-FIRA).

But the main goal of the FFR is to develop and manage rugby in France only.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 03:20

theDarky wrote:
victorsra wrote:This is a great strategy from Switzerland. Belgium could try to do the same as well.

For your information, Anderlecht played the french championship in the 60's but we invited them to create their own league.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championn ... _%C3%A0_XV

But sorry, the FFR is not here to develop foreign clubs ...

They can receive help for their federations using Europe Rugby (ex-FIRA).

But the main goal of the FFR is to develop and manage rugby in France only.

Yes, because one foreign club located near the French border in a 80 clubs competition will damage French rugby.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 06:58

Duke of Earl wrote:Is the improvement in Switzerland national team due , in part , to the move up the divisions for Servette

No, this is due to binational players. There is something like only 1 or 2 Swiss international in servette squad.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 07:07

theDarky wrote:I live in the Geneva Area ... Le Temps and La Tribune de Geneve talked about the team in their newspapers but not so much

I'm sure they will be blocked soon by the fact they don't provide any JIFF players

JIFF means "Joueurs Issues de la Formation Francaise" which is a program to provide french players for the national teams ...

In clear, it's ok if they play in the amateur system but for the professional leagues sorry guys but they are useless for the FFR.

Big clubs will not share of the cake if they dont have the same rules.

And dont talk about the AS Monaco in the French Ligue 1 ... they provided many international players like Thierry Henry, David Trezeguet or Kylian Mbappé ...

Their academy is partially located in France, in Saint-Julien-en-Genevois. Thank to this they play in U16 & U19 AURA league, and are developing jiff.

And if they become pro, they will do like any other clubs and poach players in minor clubs to increase their academy. A big part could be French.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 07:12

This is not a strategy from Switzerland, only from servette.

And that's not a viable model for Belgium or Germany. Swiss rugby is very small. It's more or less located around Geneva. Very few players, very amateur.

Servette used a lot of time and money to improve go up. And for the moment, it hasn't help that much Swiss rugby.

Belgian rugby is well structured. Regional high performance center, a good number of clubs, ... What they need is to try to build professionalism with the Netherlands through benecup, not starting from the back in French leagues.
They are already sending all of their best youths to French academies, they have many pro players in France. Nothing to see with Swiss rugby, which was more or less nothing.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum