Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Servette Genf Rugby

User avatar
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 05:29
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Servette Genf Rugby

Postby germanbullsfan » Sat, 21 May 2016, 05:18

How is Servette Genf Rugby doing in the french system? What is the progress , sportwise and businesswise for the swiss club?

Posts: 83
Joined: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:12
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby vino_93 » Sat, 21 May 2016, 06:51

I just read they won their regional division. Now they are playing the national final phase from 2ème série. They will join 1ère série next year, 8th french division.

Posts: 24
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 14:34
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby toulousain » Sat, 21 May 2016, 09:21

vino_93 wrote:I just read they won their regional division.


Quite easily I would say...
http://www.servettercgeneve.ch/fr/equipe-Premiere/equipe-Premiere/CALENDRIER.html

Posts: 1670
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby YamahaKiwi » Thu, 01 Sep 2016, 13:39

Servette won their their Lyonnais division easily again last season with no losses but got beaten in the national QFs by a team they beat easily in the division lower national playoffs the season before. The 16-17 Season is starting on the 19th Sep and they have been promoted to a higher division again 1ere which approximates to the 3rd Lyonnais division after P.Honneur and Honneur. Got a feeling things are going to get harder this year. Wouldn't be surprised if they get a loss or near to it.

Posts: 1328
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 12 Sep 2016, 16:37

Will they actually be allowed to get promoted until the Federale 1, ProD2 or Top14?
RC Luxembourg weren't allowed further promotion at one stage. Can't recall which league it was but it couldn't have been too high up as they decided to join the german league system instead.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

User avatar
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 05:29
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby germanbullsfan » Mon, 12 Sep 2016, 19:34

Looks like !

Posts: 1328
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 13 Sep 2016, 06:44

germanbullsfan wrote:Looks like !

Source?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 199
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby Raven » Tue, 13 Sep 2016, 09:19

I know they are pretty far of making it to a play off stage, but I wonder if there is much level difference between Servette and Dendermondse RC, that get to play in a EPCR Challenge Cup Qualifying Competition...

User avatar
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 05:29
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby germanbullsfan » Tue, 13 Sep 2016, 15:23

I know they are pretty far of making it to a play off stage, but I wonder if there is much level difference between Servette and Dendermondse RC, that get to play in a EPCR Challenge Cup Qualifying Competition...


Nice idea to push Rugby in svitzerland , making Servette the national club team!

Posts: 463
Joined: Mon, 12 May 2014, 21:05
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby dropkick » Wed, 14 Sep 2016, 08:22

What are their stadium attendances like?

Posts: 935
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 14 Sep 2016, 10:31

germanbullsfan wrote:
I know they are pretty far of making it to a play off stage, but I wonder if there is much level difference between Servette and Dendermondse RC, that get to play in a EPCR Challenge Cup Qualifying Competition...


Nice idea to push Rugby in svitzerland , making Servette the national club team!


That's actually not a bad idea.

Posts: 199
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby Raven » Wed, 14 Sep 2016, 17:19

germanbullsfan wrote:
I know they are pretty far of making it to a play off stage, but I wonder if there is much level difference between Servette and Dendermondse RC, that get to play in a EPCR Challenge Cup Qualifying Competition...


Nice idea to push Rugby in svitzerland , making Servette the national club team!


I would believe the goal is not to be just a feeder club for the National team but to actually achieve certain success, dunno how much money is in nor how much more they wanna keep bringing to it, but eventually to make it to another level (if that is the ultimate objective) they will have to hire players with a bit more flight rather than limit theirselves to the best Swiss players -no offence intended- or French players of lower leagues.

That´s where my question comes in, perhaps not now, not next year, nor in 4, but EVENTUALLY, with a Pro structure and Pro players... In the French system but still technically a Swiss Club... Wild Card invitation to play a Qualifying Competition, I mean, right now the teams have been picked singlehanded, with no particular background.

I know, I should stop daydreaming.

User avatar
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 05:29
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby germanbullsfan » Wed, 14 Sep 2016, 18:24

Daydreaming is not the badest thing to do! A Pro team with international players , and a second and third Team in the minor leagues with swiss players would be a good platform to develop the game in CH!

Posts: 199
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby Raven » Thu, 15 Sep 2016, 13:17

germanbullsfan wrote:Daydreaming is not the badest thing to do! A Pro team with international players , and a second and third Team in the minor leagues with swiss players would be a good platform to develop the game in CH!


Yupp!

User avatar
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon, 30 Jun 2014, 08:59
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby gambass » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 11:27

So far so good. They debuted in Promotion d'Honneur this year (7th tier) and won their first game 59-7 (they suffered their first defeat last year though). Only two years to reach the Federales leagues.

But, that's not what i wanted to share..

Image

That's the upper part you should looking at: "Brussels mayor wants a pro D2 club"

Apparently, Philippe Close, the new Brussels bourgmestre, is kind of a rugby guy (former junior international) and is looking to have a side playing in Pro D2. There is no real plan so to speak as he is only talking about a brand new 7,000 stadium to host the team (which stadium ?) and not much else. Still it's something.

Midol reached Bernard Laporte (FFR president) and he seems quite open about that "project", speaking about the possibly to help belgian rugby and all that. He made a point about the club playing in Fédérale 1 first though.

Might be only diplomatic stuff, you never know. But, it's the first ime AFAIK that such a possibly is beeing discuted publicly by french rugby officials.

Promising ?

Posts: 935
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 12:56

gambass wrote:So far so good. They debuted in Promotion d'Honneur this year (7th tier) and won their first game 59-7 (they suffered their first defeat last year though). Only two years to reach the Federales leagues.

But, that's not what i wanted to share..

Image

That's the upper part you should looking at: "Brussels mayor wants a pro D2 club"

Apparently, Philippe Close, the new Brussels bourgmestre, is kind of a rugby guy (former junior international) and is looking to have a side playing in Pro D2. There is no real plan so to speak as he is only talking about a brand new 7,000 stadium to host the team (which stadium ?) and not much else. Still it's something.

Midol reached Bernard Laporte (FFR president) and he seems quite open about that "project", speaking about the possibly to help belgian rugby and all that. He made a point about the club playing in Fédérale 1 first though.

Might be only diplomatic stuff, you never know. But, it's the first ime AFAIK that such a possibly is beeing discuted publicly by french rugby officials.

Promising ?


Certainly interesting. If say this proposal came to fruition and Servette continue up the league rankings to the point that one day both are pushing for promotion to the Top 14. Would the average French fan be open to two essentially foreign teams in their top league?

Or even potentially more foreign teams through the top tiers of the French system?

User avatar
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon, 30 Jun 2014, 08:59
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby gambass » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 13:52

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Certainly interesting. If say this proposal came to fruition and Servette continue up the league rankings to the point that one day both are pushing for promotion to the Top 14. Would the average French fan be open to two essentially foreign teams in their top league?

Or even potentially more foreign teams through the top tiers of the French system?


I don't think neither will ever push for promotion to Top 14 tbf. But anyway, I don't think too many people will bother because of their nationality (after all, a foreign team just won the Ligue 1 tittle last year), but they will, if they are skyrocketed in pro D2 or even fédérale 1 (P&R mantra is very, very strong in this country).

The LNR wants to award wild cards to northen fédérale 1 clubs to join the Pro D2. I'll be interesting to see how well (or not) that goes with traditional southern club fans.

Posts: 1472
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby 4N » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 14:01

gambass wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:
Certainly interesting. If say this proposal came to fruition and Servette continue up the league rankings to the point that one day both are pushing for promotion to the Top 14. Would the average French fan be open to two essentially foreign teams in their top league?

Or even potentially more foreign teams through the top tiers of the French system?


I don't think neither will ever push for promotion to Top 14 tbf. But anyway, I don't think too many people will bother because of their nationality (after all, a foreign team just won the Ligue 1 tittle last year), but they will, if they are skyrocketed in pro D2 or even fédérale 1 (P&R mantra is very, very strong in this country).

The LNR wants to award wild cards to northen fédérale 1 clubs to join the Pro D2. I'll be interesting to see how well (or not) that goes with traditional southern club fans.


The southwest won't like it but important for the expansion of the game there IMO.

User avatar
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 05:29
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby germanbullsfan » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 18:41

D2 alone would be a huge Sucess for Servette if they can go all the way through the league system , Dont see a chance that Brussels shortcutting and starting in Federale 1 , only fair whern they start a scratch like Servette at the bottom!

Posts: 935
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 20:13

germanbullsfan wrote:D2 alone would be a huge Sucess for Servette if they can go all the way through the league system , Dont see a chance that Brussels shortcutting and starting in Federale 1 , only fair whern they start a scratch like Servette at the bottom!


Could be argued that considering the difference in relative strength of the two national sides that a Brussels based club would start off at a higher level. Therefore, starting off at the bottom would see even bigger gulfs in terms of scorelines.

Posts: 463
Joined: Mon, 12 May 2014, 21:05
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby dropkick » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 20:53

Starting off at the bottom would require a lot of patience but if there's a chance to do it they should take it. It would be an excellent long term goal to work towards.

If they can get in at a higher level, all the better. They'll likely be some French club to miss out though.

Posts: 1796
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 19:00
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 19 Sep 2017, 01:54

If the Belgian team would be starting from scratch effectively, why not make it the de facto youth national academy to start? Then as the team progresses through the leagues, they'll get older and better just as their competition is improving.

User avatar
Posts: 615
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby NedRugby » Wed, 20 Sep 2017, 18:52

I wonder if the success of Servette has had any knock-on effect on the Swiss national team? Certainly they held their own very well in their first season in the RE trophy.

Posts: 935
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 01:31

NedRugby wrote:I wonder if the success of Servette has had any knock-on effect on the Swiss national team? Certainly they held their own very well in their first season in the RE trophy.


Regardless of the standard of opposition by virtue of just spending more time playing with one another far more regularly would have a positive effect. Even if the team doesn't feature the entire national team it would still prove beneficial.

User avatar
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon, 30 Jun 2014, 08:59
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby gambass » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 08:16

Coloradoan wrote:If the Belgian team would be starting from scratch effectively, why not make it the de facto youth national academy to start? Then as the team progresses through the leagues, they'll get older and better just as their competition is improving.


It's not really a developpement idea, more like a commercial one. He talks about it like a US mayor would talk about a future league expansion in his city (I immagine at least)

Obv, pro french rugby is not run on commercial franchises principles (but maybe, it should ?)

Next

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Thomas, Yahoo [Bot] and 11 guests