Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Servette Genf Rugby

Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 15 Apr 2020, 09:01

Higgik wrote:But is this the start of a Continental league based around the French system. The Top 14 is already a separate entity from the union and maybe could push for a wider remit.
Personally would love to see a 32 team league including the 2 Italian teams, a Spanish and Romanian team to start with then introduce German, Belgian as the league progressed.


The French would never introduce ring-fencing and closed shops so your idea will never happen. The top14 is too successful on many levels to change a thing and if they would allow other nations in, it would definitely only be with promotion and relegation. Good on them.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 2258
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Unread postby sk 88 » Wed, 15 Apr 2020, 09:43

If they can solidify in Fed 1, possibly even push to Pro D2 I think it could be a model that someone in Francophone Belgium tries to copy, possibly around Liege. Lille did get very good attendances before they got DNACG'd (/went pop depending on how you view French financial regulations!)

Posts: 28
Joined: Tue, 04 Feb 2020, 17:22
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Unread postby theDarky » Wed, 15 Apr 2020, 15:29

Higgik wrote:But is this the start of a Continental league based around the French system. The Top 14 is already a separate entity from the union and maybe could push for a wider remit.
Personally would love to see a 32 team league including the 2 Italian teams, a Spanish and Romanian team to start with then introduce German, Belgian as the league progressed.


Let's be clear ... with the coronavirus crisis 16 pro clubs are in a mess both in Top 14 and ProD2

The goal of the FFR and the LNR is to save them first ... not to develop an pan-european league

That's the job of the EPCR but they are enough stupid to drop the only pro german club which could qualify for their competitions.

For the amateur federal leagues (from 3rd to 5fifth level in the pyramid) Servette is still the welcome until it doesnt shadow the biggest local semipro/pro clubs like theses closed ones: Bourgoin (135km from geneve) Oyonnax (85km) Chambery (90km) and Rumilly (70km).

And I dont talk about the historic clubs like Narbonne, Tarbes or Dax

They wont accept a foreign club with foreign players to access to the pro leagues.

I hope (and I think) the managers of Geneve Servette are aware about it because if they're not , they would be very surprised soon.

Posts: 19
Joined: Sun, 08 Mar 2020, 12:47
National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Unread postby Duke of Earl » Wed, 15 Apr 2020, 17:44

To be honest , how many more countries could copy this approach. If Servette get to a good level , top of Federale 1 or indeed promotion to D2, I would not expect them to be supported by the French authorities , but if they showed ambition , they could move to the Pro14 league instead.
Unless you had the resources and intend to go straight to the Pro level , countries like Belgium , Luxembourg and Germany could all copy this approach , use it as a proof of concept and gain interest , and if it can be justified as a viable professional option ,leave the French leagues and go to a cross border league.

Posts: 1713
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Unread postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 16 Apr 2020, 06:38

Duke of Earl wrote:To be honest , how many more countries could copy this approach. If Servette get to a good level , top of Federale 1 or indeed promotion to D2, I would not expect them to be supported by the French authorities , but if they showed ambition , they could move to the Pro14 league instead.
Unless you had the resources and intend to go straight to the Pro level , countries like Belgium , Luxembourg and Germany could all copy this approach , use it as a proof of concept and gain interest , and if it can be justified as a viable professional option ,leave the French leagues and go to a cross border league.


Would the Pro14 Unions be all that interested in including them? Certainly not from the ProD2 level. It's doubtful they'd be happy to set up a 2nd division as much like SR the Pro14 also feeds the respective national teams of each participant Union.

Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 16 Apr 2020, 10:02

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Duke of Earl wrote:To be honest , how many more countries could copy this approach. If Servette get to a good level , top of Federale 1 or indeed promotion to D2, I would not expect them to be supported by the French authorities , but if they showed ambition , they could move to the Pro14 league instead.
Unless you had the resources and intend to go straight to the Pro level , countries like Belgium , Luxembourg and Germany could all copy this approach , use it as a proof of concept and gain interest , and if it can be justified as a viable professional option ,leave the French leagues and go to a cross border league.


Would the Pro14 Unions be all that interested in including them? Certainly not from the ProD2 level. It's doubtful they'd be happy to set up a 2nd division as much like SR the Pro14 also feeds the respective national teams of each participant Union.


The Pro14 has a tiny tv market consisting of 4 countries, of which in two countries it is actually offering a minor product to a bigger league in that country's tv market (Uk, Premiership, SA Super Rugby maybe even Currie Cup) and one country which can't sell their tv rights (Italy) and the only country (Ireland) where even the setup of the product is good, could be great has only 5 million people.

Off course everybody in their right mind from the Pro14 should be interested to open bigger tv markets. But this is rugby, and British admins will always be British admins, so probably not.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 646
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Unread postby Raven » Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 08:00

I know the subject in the thread changed a bit, but going back to what has been said before, having more countries doing the same would make no sense. Servette opened and closed a door, as some mentioned above no French team in Honneur, or Fed3 wants to play a side playing with Fed1 players, and why would they want to go through that again?

On the other hand as level increases I would like to see what´s Servette approach, will they aim to feed the National team? as a romantic way of seeing things, or will it inevitably be a "businness" and continue to try and make it to another level with whatever players they can hire? I would imagine overseas players living in the French border to lower costs, so even those who play for Servette might not be eligible to play for the Swiss team anyway.
Hopefully this venture will bring some more exposure to the game in Switzerland tho. I personally think it´s a win-win situation on all fronts. Fed 2 is quite respecable, if they manage to make one final push and make it to Fed 1 and still keep a Swiss player Quota, then it´ll be massive.

As for going for Pro14, we are waaaaay ahead of ourselves, and starting a new league with neighbouring countries with the same rugby tradition and exposure Switzerland won´t be a game changer.

Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Unread postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 20 Apr 2020, 05:32

Raven wrote:I would imagine overseas players living in the French border to lower costs, so even those who play for Servette might not be eligible to play for the Swiss team anyway.


This indeed is a very valid point.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests