Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: South American rugby

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 04 Jan 2020, 02:22

victorsra wrote:The South American Championship lost importance for Paraguay and Colombia since now the Americas Rugby Challenge offers promotion playoff.

The question is what about Peru, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Guatemala... ? At least Peru should be in the Challenge. Specialy now with the RWC Qualy...

So I'm unsure the point there. Shouldn't it be the top 2 teams from RAN and the top two teams from SAR play in the ARCh?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 04 Jan 2020, 03:27

Well, yes, now South America doesn't have a competition to allow other teams to qualify. We know Venezuela lives an internal crisis, but what about Peru? What's the project for them? They'll give up from 15s?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 04 Jan 2020, 16:13

The importance to these countries was the guaranteed test matches. They can certainly plan their own but having a dedicated tournament makes it much easier on a country with limited resources. Cutting the SA6N effectively dropped these countries from 6 test matches to 3 test matches (and they dropped the 3 most challenging matches too).

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 04 Jan 2020, 16:37

Yes. But at least Colombia and Paraguay have SLAR now. Peru has nothing. And just now they have a rugby-specific stadium.

Challenge's winner will have a 4th test (the repechage).

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 04 Jan 2020, 17:38

Yes, even worse for those countries who need it even more. At the very least they should keep the tournament, perhaps without the XV sides (Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay).

A shame this isn’t going to happen, I was looking forward to seeing Colombia vs Chile (the only team they haven’t played in the tournament and coincidentally the lowest ranked).

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 04 Jan 2020, 17:41

i'd like to see the Americas Challenge with at least 5 teams.

Colombia, Paraguay, Mexico, a Caribbean and a SAR B champion (Peru most likely). 2 home and 2 away matches for everybody. Bottom South and bottom North teams host promotion/relegation playoffs.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 04 Jan 2020, 18:58

They seem to have difficulty with just 4 teams since they condense the tournament to take place in one country over one week

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Pichulonko » Sun, 05 Jan 2020, 01:34

Home and away matches? Not a chance. Those unions don't have the resources to be flying back and forth and it's why - - as mentioned above - - they hold the ARCh in one venue over two weekends time.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 05 Jan 2020, 03:32

ARC nations neither. WR puts money in the ARC for travel. It would be much better to boost the Americas Rugby Challenge than having that Americas Pacific Challenge.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sun, 05 Jan 2020, 03:51

victorsra wrote:ARC nations neither. WR puts money in the ARC for travel. It would be much better to boost the Americas Rugby Challenge than having that Americas Pacific Challenge.

World Rugby loves to fly teams around the world, when there are teams next door they could play.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sun, 05 Jan 2020, 11:27

What's wrong with this picture? I don't see Category B or C in this Calendar. (XV Program) it seems to me Sudamerica has whitelisted the competition and has quietly dropped it?

Original link https://sudamerica.rugby/espanol/compet ... -3?nid=296

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 05 Jan 2020, 13:01

Probably I've already asked this: is there some form of hostility between Venezuela and T&Tobago?
I ask it because they are neighbor countries (on the map T&T seem just Venezuela's islands) but we never see a rugby test match between them

PS: the Olympic Games are at the end of july/beginning of august, the SAR list seems doing a mistake reporting them in june

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 05 Jan 2020, 16:48

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
victorsra wrote:ARC nations neither. WR puts money in the ARC for travel. It would be much better to boost the Americas Rugby Challenge than having that Americas Pacific Challenge.

World Rugby loves to fly teams around the world, when there are teams next door they could play.

There's probably not much difference for a team like Peru to go to Mexico or to go to Paraguay. The problem for all teams in the Americas Challenge in terms of flights is only the Caribbean team.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sun, 05 Jan 2020, 17:50

Canalina wrote:Probably I've already asked this: is there some form of hostility between Venezuela and T&Tobago?
I ask it because they are neighbor countries (on the map T&T seem just Venezuela's islands) but we never see a rugby test match between them

No hostility as far as I'm aware. Historically the two countries have good relations. They are geologically linked and share vital energy agreements. It's probably more a case of minor nations restricted to official competition they are obliged to participate in, and for which they no doubt receive financial assistance. In fact, the South Americans' first two games (in 1998) were against their Caribbean neighbors, both losses, but thereafter they only met once as Los Orquideas got involved in regional competition. There don't seem to be many friendlies taking place between tier 3 teams of close proximity but different regional allegiances in general. TT & Venezuela are ranked 50th & 60th in the world at present and, according to World Rugby, have 1400 & 1700 players respectively. In Venezuela's case, with a population of 32 million, that's certainly novelty sport territory. A couple of years back the right-wing government in Guatemala refused their players visas, preventing Los Orquideas participation in the South American B champs, for which they must have been favorites now Colombia have moved up to the big time. Seems to me Guatemala should've been stripped of the hosting rights under the circumstances. As for TT, who are of course part of RAN, I wonder if they've tried to get the Armitage brothers back to their home nation to help promote the sport, in whatever capacity. I have a friend from TT who was glowing with pride after first reading about them a few years ago. :thumbup: :D

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 06 Jan 2020, 01:30

Venezuela's main regional rival is Colombia. However, it is worth to note they don't share the same sports passions. Colombia's number 1 sport is soccer. Venezuela, in the other hand, is the only South American country where soccer is not the national sport, they prefer baseball and basketball (well, in Guyana the number 1 is cricket, but they don't count as South America in sports)...

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 21 Jan 2020, 14:08

The Teros7 won the seven de Mar del Plata, hsoted by IRP Sporting Club.

They defeated Mendoza, CURDA (Universitario de Asunción), Locos por el Seven, Sixty and Duendes.

The tournament had some colorful team names, such as Bar de Moe ("Moe's Tavern"), Que pachorra no te atrape ("May laziness not catch you"), Trinidad y Estos Vagos ("Trinidad and these vagabonds"), After en lo de Bomba ("After party at Bomb's"), and Radiator Springs.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 20:21

French Guyana is going to take part with a men select and a women select to the Fortaleza 7s, in the north-eastern Brazil.
Apparently there are just two clubs in the Guyane: Cosma (based at the border with Suriname) and Cayenne

I can't find other info about that Fortaleza 7s, tough

https://staff.clubeo.com/uploads/comite ... 1581538104

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 20:29

Canalina wrote:French Guyana is going to take part with a men select and a women select to the Fortaleza 7s, in the north-eastern Brazil.
Apparently there are just two clubs in the Guyane: Cosma (based at the border with Suriname) and Cayenne

I can't find other info about that Fortaleza 7s, tough

https://staff.clubeo.com/uploads/comite ... 1581538104

This is true. Fortaleza is the capital of Ceará State, which is not affiliaed to the Brazilian Rugby Union (the same old s* I already explained in other threads). Local clubs are organizing this tournament and they will soon send us information. It will be during the Carnival.

Postby 4N » Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 20:33

There’s also a club in Kourou, where the French space program has a base.

https://facebook.com/RCKourou

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 12 Feb 2020, 20:41

French Guyana club have played in Belém (Pará State) and São Luís (Maranhão State) in the past. This is the Brazilian northern coast. The problem is that access is basically by air travel and I guess there are very few flights...

EDIT: Azul Airlines are doing Fortaleza-Cayenne... cool.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 18 Feb 2020, 14:24

Confirmed: http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... es-abertas

French Guyana national teams will play sevens (men's and women's) on February 27th in Fortaleza (Ceará State, Brazil).

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 19:50

USA South Panthers will be touring Colombia in July. This would likely be made up of MLR potentials but could also have one or two MLR players as well.

They plan to play against the Tuxanes and a “yet to be named regional side.” I assume that this would either be the Cafeteros XV (minus the capped players) or one of the sides that make up the Copa Colombia. Great to see new opponents testing Colombia.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2020/0 ... a-in-july/

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum