Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: South American rugby

Postby Tobar » Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 18:12

Just came back from a two week trip to Barranquilla with my gf (she's from there). Great city, great country. I will be going back as much as possible there.

Unfortunately didn't get to see any rugby players because of the holidays but I'll be back in July/August for the Caribbean/Central American games in the city and rugby will be part of it. Pretty stoked - anyone else going?

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 20:28

Welcome. We don’t have any Colombian posters in the forum. The only info available is the last census of the local union: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxYh9d ... VWenM/view

There are only 256 rugby players in Barranquilla (Atlántico region). Also, just 8 clubs in the city most of them dedicated exclusively to sevens. It’s gonna be hard to catch some match. The Caribbean/ Central American games are supposed to leave a 2.175 seat stadium behind with a World Rugby approved artificial pitch so maybe that could spur the growth of the region.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 22:40

About 2018, we know the Europe Championship fixtures, the Asia Championship fixtures and the Africa Cup fixtures; and we know that the Oceania Cup is not played in even years. But we still don't know (or at least I don't know) the fixtures nor the structure of the american championships, north and south.
RAN championship and SAR championship are going to be played also this year or they will be somehow replaced by ARC and ARC "B"?

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 00:28

carbonero wrote:Welcome. We don’t have any Colombian posters in the forum. The only info available is the last census of the local union: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxYh9d ... VWenM/view

There are only 256 rugby players in Barranquilla (Atlántico region). Also, just 8 clubs in the city most of them dedicated exclusively to sevens. It’s gonna be hard to catch some match. The Caribbean/ Central American games are supposed to leave a 2.175 seat stadium behind with a World Rugby approved artificial pitch so maybe that could spur the growth of the region.

There are 17,000 or so players in Colombia and a bulk of them are in Antioquia. Not surprised about the 7s considering it is always summer weather (25-30 C) and that’d make it unbearable. I got in touch with Sergio from Bitacora Rugby and he’s my main source of info since it’s tough to find news outlets that cover Rugby, though it’s growing a lot whenever they’re involved in tournaments like the Punta de Este. I’ll have to let him know about this site. I also spoke to someone from Mokana but with the Christmas break and all there wasn’t anything to watch.

I know Barranquilla is remodeling all of their current stadiums except for Roberto Melendez (the giant soccer stadium). Im not sure of this field you’re talking about - are you referring to the one that was built in Santa Marta for the Bolivarian games?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 00:35

The 2018 South American Championship format was released last September: http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... nferencias

The competition will change. Brazil, Uruguay and Chile are supposed to play it with development squads (not sure if the matches will count for the Ranking). Sudamérica Rugby confirmed just the months. We are waiting for the proper dates and fixtures.

1st division (on May): Argentina XV, Brazil XV, Uruguay XV, Chile XV, Paraguay and Colombia
2nd division (on September/October): Peru, Venezuela, Costa Rica and Guatemala
3rd division (on August): Nicaragua, Panama, El Salvador and Honduras
Ecuador won't play.
Last edited by victorsra on Sat, 13 Jan 2018, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 00:50

Tobar wrote: I know Barranquilla is remodeling all of their current stadiums except for Roberto Melendez (the giant soccer stadium). Im not sure of this field you’re talking about - are you referring to the one that was built in Santa Marta for the Bolivarian games?

Estadio Moderno Julio Torres: http://www.sudamericarugby.org/2017/02/ ... ranquilla/

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 04:18

carbonero wrote:
Tobar wrote: I know Barranquilla is remodeling all of their current stadiums except for Roberto Melendez (the giant soccer stadium). Im not sure of this field you’re talking about - are you referring to the one that was built in Santa Marta for the Bolivarian games?

Estadio Moderno Julio Torres: http://www.sudamericarugby.org/2017/02/ ... ranquilla/

Yep that’s the one, but I realized you may have meant to write 12,000 and not 2000 so that threw me off. That’s what threw me off. I’ll have to read the full thing tomorrow at work (when I can google translate the article because I’m still working on my Spanish).

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 04:21

victorsra wrote:The 2018 South American Championship format was released last September: http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... nferencias

The competition will change. Brazil, Uruguay and Chile are supposed to play it with development squads (not sure if the matches will count for the Ranking). Sudamérica Rugby confirmed just the months. We are waiting for the proper dates and fixtures.

1st division (on May): Argentina XV, Brazil XV, Uruguay XV, Chile XV, Paraguay and Colombia
3rd division (on August): Nicaragua, Panama, El Salvador and Guatemala
Ecuador won't play.

This is the Sudamérica 6 Nations, correct? I heard about Colombia and Paraguay’s promotions and tried watching the Colombia v Venezuela match around November. Glad to see they’re showing the games on Win Sports, which I already have to watch Junior matches.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 08:01

Thanks, so just the North America Championship details are still to be unveiled, speaking of continental championships for national teams

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 12:38

Tobar wrote:
victorsra wrote:The 2018 South American Championship format was released last September: http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... nferencias

Ecuador won't play.

This is the Sudamérica 6 Nations, correct? I heard about Colombia and Paraguay’s promotions and tried watching the Colombia v Venezuela match around November. Glad to see they’re showing the games on Win Sports, which I already have to watch Junior matches.

It is the South American Championship and I believe it won't be round robin. That is the first time with 6 teams. Last year's format had just 4 teams.

Our "6 Nations" is the Americas Rugby Championship.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 14:14

victorsra wrote:
Tobar wrote:

Ecuador won't play.

It is the South American Championship and I believe it won't be round robin. That is the first time with 6 teams. Last year's format had just 4 teams.

Our "6 Nations" is the Americas Rugby Championship.

It looks like they are renaming the South American Championship because of the addition of Colombia and Paraguay.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2017/0 ... pand-2018/

It’s a bit confusing because the actual 6 Nations is in February which is when the ARC takes place which is another 6 Nations competing, except 2 of the countries aren’t from South America.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 14:34

The South American Championship was created in 1951 and since the 90s is played every year with this name.

There are two different competitions. The new Americas Rugby Championship, born in 2016, and the old South American Championship, reshaped for 2018.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 11 Jan 2018, 21:34

You should tell Paul Tait that. He always refers to it as the South American 6 Nations

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 12 Jan 2018, 03:26

Well, both South American 6 Nations or Americas 6 Nations don't exist as official names...

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 12 Jan 2018, 20:15

Oh well, whatever, as long as I get to watch South American rugby. I still have yet to have been able to watch any Colombian matches.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 13 Jan 2018, 00:21

It will be great for Colombia. First time ever playing South America's top division.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Sat, 13 Jan 2018, 02:45

It's not so great for Colombia - first time in the A Championship and then they discover all the teams except Paraguay will be Development teams... Why can't Uruguay, Brazil and Chile play with their full teams? They'll be done with the Americas Championship in March, and have no matches lined up for May.

BTW, it's Honduras in Division C, not Guatemala (Guatemala is written twice above - once in Division B and once in Division C)
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 13 Jan 2018, 05:28

That’s disappointing but they’ll still be challenged regardless. The fact that Argentina XV is competing against developmental sides from other countries is puzzling. They’ll knock the hell out of these teams.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 13 Jan 2018, 12:51

Yes, sorry, Honduras in third division. I wrote Guatemala twice.

I agree with you that it is not that great and i think the same, Brazil, Uruguay and Chile should play with their best. But as a first experience for Colombia it is good, as it will be a strong warm up for the Americas Challenge.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 13 Jan 2018, 23:27

It should also disappointing for Chile Brazil and Uruguay who are giving up the chance for quality matches for their first side so they can help the developmentals. If I were them I would at least make the XV side for Colombia and Paraguay but play Argentina with the top squad.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Sun, 14 Jan 2018, 00:06

Will be the first time of the A sides from Brazil and Chile?. The opportunity to expand their bases of players at last.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Sun, 14 Jan 2018, 00:48

The first team shouldn’t take the hit. The only way to make it work is to strengthen their slate of games in the international windows, particularly in June where neither of them has been able to play much. If they can secure ten tests per year, then I don’t see any problem on using this tournament for development purposes.

P.S: World Rugby should kick out Argentina XV and Italia Emergenti from the Nations Cup

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 14 Jan 2018, 15:08

Chile names side for ARC http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... mment-2823

45 players named, 13 are uncapped and 5 are from the U20 side. Maybe they're looking to add a couple of developmental guys who will be involved in the South American Championship. Also included is MLR's Nikola Bursic, who also played in PRO Rugby. The other Chilean Sebastian Kalm is likely to cap for the US.

Also on a sort of tangent - is there any news about the potential Argentinian/Brazilian Currie Cup teams? This would be a good first step towards a SA pro competition.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 14 Jan 2018, 20:48

Will be the first time of the A sides from Brazil and Chile?. The opportunity to expand their bases of players at last.

In a competition for Brazil, yes. But a Brazil XV toured Argentina twice recently to play local clubs (La Plata in 2013 and Córdoba in 2017).

Also on a sort of tangent - is there any news about the potential Argentinian/Brazilian Currie Cup teams? This would be a good first step towards a SA pro competition.

No news from Brazil.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 14 Jan 2018, 21:29

Any hopes for a South American league of some sort? Would love to see SA league vs MLR in a Champions Cup kind of setup. Would be nice to see Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Brazil, Colombia (thinking selfishly though they're probably not ready). Hell, even if it's just a semi-pro setup for a short season it'd be a nice start and travel shouldn't be too ridiculous. Though that seems far away for South America.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum