Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American rugby

National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Re: South American rugby

Postby Gen Santa » Wed, 16 May 2018, 01:47

right, realistically salaries will not be very high, and i imagine this league (or, let's say, competition, because rugby league does not want any rugby union league to be called a league, though major league rugby has avoided that issue so far) will be a developing ground for talent to head to france, england, etc

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Wed, 16 May 2018, 02:20

Probably will be called Liga sudamericana de rugby (south american rugby league) maybe with the name of some sponsor, nobody in this subcontinent knows anything about the sport "rugby league" (and please do not give me the example of those australians who play to be the rugby league team of chile) and
and nobody says "rugby union" to rugby call it simply rugby

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 16 May 2018, 03:08

Rugby League is never translated as Liga de Rugby. So, no problems.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Wed, 16 May 2018, 03:18

Or maybe something totally different...we have the example of the "Copa Libertadores de America" maybe Torneo Continental de Rugby or something like that but it would be above all to be more familiar with the brazilian market

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 16 May 2018, 03:25

Whatever it's called isn't as important as ensuring it's successful. If the new league can survive the first few years it's chance to of long term success will increase a lot. I still say stick with 8 teams for at least 3 years before branching out to Mexico or Columbia, although players from both those nations should be encouraged to trial for the existing teams in the meantime.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Wed, 16 May 2018, 17:59

carbonero wrote:This is not an issue. Maybe 15 of those 200 players have potential of becoming Pumas. Most of them are just using rugby to live a couple of years in Europe.

Also, nobody is coming back for this SA league. There is no way that it pays better salaries than Spain, Italy, Pro D2 and Fedérale 1

You don’t think it will pay more than Fedérale 1? If that’s the case then I don’t know how you can call this a professional league.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 16 May 2018, 18:18

You must know better than me, but I think Federale 1 Elite pays better than MLR

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Wed, 16 May 2018, 18:43

carbonero wrote:You must know better than me, but I think Federale 1 Elite pays better than MLR

There was a really good photograph floating around somewhere a few days ago with all the FD1 budgets. Some are fully professional, with seven figure budgets, lots seemed to be mid to high 6 figures. However firstly, you'd only relocate across an ocean for a large salary increase, and secondly you need to consider purchasing power. Last of all lots of FD1 is turning professional in preparation for LNR starting a third pro tier in 2020.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 17 May 2018, 00:58

To avoid confusion, I have been saying "tournament".

I'd personally choose Trofeo (trophy), as it's seldomly sued in other South American sports. It would fit with a title sponsor, as in "Trofeo Megacorp de Rugby".

Or perhaps they will use no tournament descriptor, see Super Rugby, Pro14 and Top 14.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 17 May 2018, 13:54

Blurandski wrote:
carbonero wrote:However firstly, you'd only relocate across an ocean for a large salary increase

Or you use rugby to fulfill your dream to see other parts of the world and earn some pocket money for it. Life is not always about making as much cash as possible. A lot of Kiwis (especially them), Saffas and others do that. They don't see it as a career but more like some kind of work 'n' holiday-thing. I mean that's what recruitment sites like rahrah do. Also it is way cheaper to study in Spain or other EU countries. Germany i.e. has literally no study fees. I know three rugby mad Argentinians who came to Germany for this reason decades ago and then stayed.

But maybe still this league might absorbe some of those 200 players.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 17 May 2018, 22:22

Spot on, RugbyLiebe. Many players and coaches from Argentina come to Spain (Liga Heineken, but also División de Honor B and even regional leagues) for reasons beyond their actual salary. They are given the chance to study with free accommodation and some money, or to validate their credentials in the EU, or to stay enough time in Spain to be given permanent residence within the EU... And who knows, maybe they are seen and hired in Eccellenza or Fédérale 1 and it's easier for them to be spotted in Spain than in Argentina club rugby.

By the way, I see an increasing trend among South Africans too. Kiwis and Aussies as you say often come only for a sabbatical or fully pro.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 18 May 2018, 00:40

In other news, the rugby sevens tournament at the South American Games will be held on May 27-28 at Colcapirhua.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Fri, 18 May 2018, 20:59

La Nación reports that Brazil will play the Maori All Blacks in November > https://www.lanacion.com.ar/2134659-des ... -argentina

The UAR won’t be using European based player in June. They chickened out after Sanchez announced his departure to Stade Francais. There is still hope for the TRC though.

Argentina will face the Barbarians at Twickenham in late November.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Fri, 18 May 2018, 21:29

carbonero wrote:La Nación reports that Brazil will play the Maori All Blacks in November > https://www.lanacion.com.ar/2134659-des ... -argentina

The UAR won’t be using European based player in June. They chickened out after Sanchez announced his departure to Stade Francais. There is still hope for the TRC though.

Argentina will face the Barbarians at Twickenham in late November.

Maori All Blacks vs Brazil? Damn, that's a test. USA is facing them in November too and I'm expecting a shellacking, have no idea what to expect for Brazil.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Fri, 18 May 2018, 21:45

Any confirmation other than that single sentence in the article? This seems too good and dubious to be true
Last edited by qwerty on Fri, 18 May 2018, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Fri, 18 May 2018, 22:14

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Sat, 19 May 2018, 00:24

Just heard a news item on radio here in NZ mentioning the game for the Maori AB's against Brazil in Sao Paulo in November. Can't find any other news source as yet from NZ. They even mentioned that Brazil were south american champions in waiting!

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 19 May 2018, 01:19

This is true, Maori All Blacks here in November.

The question is if it will be Brazil or a South America XV.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Postby Gen Santa » Sat, 19 May 2018, 03:04

Osmanperalta wrote:Probably will be called Liga sudamericana de rugby (south american rugby league) maybe with the name of some sponsor, nobody in this subcontinent knows anything about the sport "rugby league" (and please do not give me the example of those australians who play to be the rugby league team of chile) and

rugby league amuses me, the entire el salvador team is almost completely compromised of salvadoreans in australia :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and the team is essentially incorporated in australia!

National Flag:
NicaraguaNicaragua

Postby Gen Santa » Sat, 19 May 2018, 03:07

victorsra wrote:This is true, Maori All Blacks here in November.

The question is if it will be Brazil or a South America XV.

hmm, south america xv played well last time against england... who did not field an 'anglo saxon' side as they normally would against lesser teams...

no offense victorsra, but brazil simply could not compete with maori all blacks, they have troubles with argentina xv as it is, a south america xv makes more sense

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Sat, 19 May 2018, 03:17

The kiwi radio and La Nacion said against Brazil

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 19 May 2018, 03:21

It would be a bigger match if it was against Brazil.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Sat, 19 May 2018, 03:27

By the way, there are other examples of such mismatches. The Czech Republic played the Barbarians for instance.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 19 May 2018, 03:28

Gen Santa wrote:
Osmanperalta wrote:Probably will be called Liga sudamericana de rugby (south american rugby league) maybe with the name of some sponsor, nobody in this subcontinent knows anything about the sport "rugby league" (and please do not give me the example of those australians who play to be the rugby league team of chile) and

rugby league amuses me, the entire el salvador team is almost completely compromised of salvadoreans in australia :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and the team is essentially incorporated in australia!

Standard fare for RL. When it comes to depth internationally it's about as deep as a puddle. Lot's of people were celebrating Fiji and Tonga making it to the RLWC finals. Overlooking the facts that literally only 5 players from each of those teams were actually born in the Islands. Most of the Fijian team spoke with Australian accents. The Tongans were mostly Kiwi accents.

Same for Lebanon and Italy. Most of them were from either Sydney or Brisbane. Everything RL in South America stems from the Latin Heat group. All Australians of some Latin heritage. Once upon a time the Portguese RL federation had it's HQ in Sydney as well. I think someone went through the team lists and found that without Australia and NZ supplying players half of the teams at the recent RLWC wouldn't be there. Without England another two wouldn't be there either. Well, not in any competitive sense.

An example of this were the USA. The RLWC in 2013 held in England they made the 1/4 finals thanks to importing every Aus/Kiwi with any link to the US. Last year they used primarily domestic based players. They were slaughtered in every game. Now we have similar set ups in Rugby but nowhere close to RL. I'm not saying these guys don't identify with their ancestral homelands but RL tries to convince everyone that things are far rosier than they are.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 19 May 2018, 03:32

qwerty wrote:By the way, there are other examples of such mismatches. The Czech Republic played the Barbarians for instance.

The NZ Maori coming to Brazil would be a big deal even if they do lose by 60-70 points, because it will give Brazil a taste of where they need to be. Let not forget it was only 5 or 6 years ago they were losing by 100+ points to the same Argentina side they just beat.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum