Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American rugby

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 13:17

No, man. 3 matches in 3 days in a row, no rest. They wont play 70 minutes each match. In Argentina their third division had 2 halves of 20 minutes to allow matches two days in a row. Maybe it is something like this.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 13:24

Daniel Hourcade was interviewed in El Tercer Tiempo COPE podcast in Spanish and said some things about his new role in Sudamérica Rugby and new franchise league:
https://cope-cdnmed.agilecontent.com/re ... 053380.mp3

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 14:09

victorsra wrote:No, man. 3 matches in 3 days in a row, no rest. They wont play 70 minutes each match. In Argentina their third division had 2 halves of 20 minutes to allow matches two days in a row. Maybe it is something like this.

fair enough... not much in terms of player development ... I rather they have 2 proper matches rather than having 3 matches with half effort. U19 must be exposed as much as possible to game time.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby therugbycoach » Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 14:23

Thomas wrote:
victorsra wrote:No, man. 3 matches in 3 days in a row, no rest. They wont play 70 minutes each match. In Argentina their third division had 2 halves of 20 minutes to allow matches two days in a row. Maybe it is something like this.

fair enough... not much in terms of player development ... I rather they have 2 proper matches rather than having 3 matches with half effort. U19 must be exposed as much as possible to game time.

Sounds a bit like SAR didnt think this tournnament through , really little in Benefit for anyone involved,

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 15:08

Armchair Fan wrote:Daniel Hourcade was interviewed in El Tercer Tiempo COPE podcast in Spanish and said some things about his new role in Sudamérica Rugby and new franchise league:
https://cope-cdnmed.agilecontent.com/re ... 053380.mp3

Very interesting interview, particularly about Youth Development. like his take on High Performance is a path. interesting comment about Football clubs becoming involved in some of the franchise.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 15:56

Well, that wasn't a big novelty since nobody has made the effort to hide Nacional and Peñarol will give a name to both Uruguayan sides.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 01:16

https://www.facebook.com/RugbyNewsCentroamerica/ says Sudamericano B (now "4 Naciones B") will run from 29 september to 9 october.

It should mean games on Sept 29, Oct 4, Oct 9
Anyway a schedule with games on sept 29 (saturday), oct 3 (wednesday), oct 7 (sunday) would be more in line with the tradition. Let's see.

Hosted by Guatemala, it will see this year's debut of Venezuela, Peru and Costa Rica

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Fri, 07 Sep 2018, 03:49

therugbycoach wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Sounds a bit like SAR didnt think this tournnament through , really little in Benefit for anyone involved,

I hardly see how this tournament has very little benefit. I understand that they will be less efficient but they’re still paying against some of the best u19 players in the region.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 08 Sep 2018, 01:45

U19s B Championship fixtures. See 2 matches in the same day for each team.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sat, 08 Sep 2018, 12:15

Two matches in the same day? I assume they're shortened, then?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 08 Sep 2018, 13:49

Yes, that's what I said. Reduced time.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 08 Sep 2018, 14:25

Andres Zafra, Colombia’s first and only player in Europe, will make his first start today for Agen.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Immenso » Sun, 09 Sep 2018, 21:51

Question for South American and Argentinians.

I was so impressed with the Argentinian backs v the All Blacks in the weekend. I'm really impressed how Argentina have kept producing slick wings the last few years even after they lose some really good ones (Imhoff, Montero, Cordero). I understand Delguy was playing for Argentina XV earlier this year rather than the Jaguares?

But what's going on with your props? Do Argentina lose more props to European club rugby than they do backs? Apart from Figallo (who I know of) are there props in French or other European club rugby likely to come back in for the 2019 RWC who can make a real difference?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 09 Sep 2018, 23:45

Peru champions.

Saturday

Peru 60 - 00 Panama

Costa Rica 17 - 12 Guatemala

Peru 90 - 00 Guatemala

Costa Rica 50 - 00 Panama

Sunday

Guatemala 36 - 05 Panama

Peru 36 - 00 Costa Rica

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Mon, 10 Sep 2018, 00:59

Immenso wrote:But what's going on with your props? Do Argentina lose more props to European club rugby than they do backs? Apart from Figallo (who I know of) are there props in French or other European club rugby likely to come back in for the 2019 RWC who can make a real difference?

Noguera (Bath) and Figallo (Saracens) are injured. Cortes (Leicester) made his debut on Saturday and Herrera (St. Français) is supposedly coming for the last two home games. Gomez Kodela (Lyon) was also mentioned but there was some issue with his club. All will be available for the WC.

We don’t have much at home. G. Botta and T. Chaparro are gassed after the SR season. Pieretto, Diaz and Medrano showed some flashes but they are green for this level (the first two have long term injuries). And then you have Zeiss, who in span of one year went from URBA third division to test rugby against the All Blacks.

The issue is structural. In youth rugby, you can only push the scrum for 1.5 meters. That rule was then applied to senior rugby after a bad run of life altering injuries. That hinders the development of good props.

Then Hourcade put the nail in the coffin. He decided to focus on other areas while Ayerza was singlehandedly masking his deficiencies. As soon as Ayerza retired, it all went to shit. Now Ledesma is trying to enforce our old scrum technique. The Pumas haven’t used it since the RWC 2003. I think it’s the right move long term but the process will be painful.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 12:40

Chile will host a new South American U19s Men's Sevens. It will be played between November and December, TBA.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 14:18

What countries will be involved?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 14:35

No info...

I got this information during yesterday's Brazilian Rugby Union Anual Sponsors Meeting.

BTW, 8500 tickets already sold for Brazil vs Maori All Blacks and it might be live on free-to-air TV as well (Rede TV).

And they confirmed LAR (South American League) with those 8 franchises.

National Flag:

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 15:49

Tobar wrote:Andres Zafra, Colombia’s first and only player in Europe, will make his first start today for Agen.

Makes Colombia's big win over Paraguay that much more impressive since they were presumably without his services.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 16:29

Coloradoan wrote:
Tobar wrote:Andres Zafra, Colombia’s first and only player in Europe, will make his first start today for Agen.

Makes Colombia's big win over Paraguay that much more impressive since they were presumably without his services.

Yeah he didn't play. Not sure how often he gets to play for Colombia now tbh because he's in France. I think he's 22 so super young with plenty of time to grow (better than a guy getting his first shot at like 29).

Hopefully he can join the team if it's during a test window. Colombia doesn't typically play during one though.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 17:20

victorsra wrote: And they confirmed LAR (South American League) with those 8 franchises.

Do you mean two per country? Or will Chile or Paraguay have just one team?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 17:47

2 Argentina, 2 Uruguay, 2 Brazil, 1 Chile and 1 Paraguay

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 09:23

Canalina wrote:https://www.facebook.com/RugbyNewsCentroamerica/ says Sudamericano B (now "4 Naciones B") will run from 29 september to 9 october.

It should mean games on Sept 29, Oct 4, Oct 9
Anyway a schedule with games on sept 29 (saturday), oct 3 (wednesday), oct 7 (sunday) would be more in line with the tradition. Let's see.

Hosted by Guatemala, it will see this year's debut of Venezuela, Peru and Costa Rica

Have we got any further information on this?
Less than 2 weeks to go, I couldn't see anything on that facebook page when I looked!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 09:58

Peru is training in these days for the event (source: facebook) and Guatemala is confirmed as host nation, so we should have at least these two teams on the field. Still no news instead from Venezuela and Costa Rica, as far as I know

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 12:43

Maybe that is the problem to have more info: they dont know if Venezuela will play.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum