Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American rugby

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: South American rugby

Postby Thomas » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 15:21

I keep hearing there is no possibility of a second SR franchise but I agree with Raven, I cannot see why not. The arguments against it so far have not swayed me.

We need to stop looking at South America from Oceania or South Africa eyes, I understand the finances and the setting costs are high but once in place with TV Sponsorship it is possible.

If several Unions got together sponsor deals and International TV rights + exposure would work. I have been there as recently as January and there is money is a matter of people tapping into the market and provide a cohesive marketing strategy.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 16:49

I don’t understand how anyone sees a second South American super rugby franchise as viable in any way possible. Getting one in Argentina got enough pushback as is. Where is this other team going to play? Who will play on this team? South America definitely does not have enough talent to field a second team unless you’re resigning them to last place.

Focus on grassroots to really build the game. If you just come in here with another foreign league you’re not really building rugby in the country despite whatever you may say. And Super Rugby is a giant convoluted mess that even many New Zealanders want to get away from. Teams play across multiple time zones stretch out the talent way too far.

But seriously though....who is going to play on this supposed team? I wasn’t just asking a rhetorical question before, I’m serious. You can’t build a team with just foreign players.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 17:26

Tobar wrote:I don’t understand how anyone sees a second South American super rugby franchise as viable in any way possible. Getting one in Argentina got enough pushback as is. Where is this other team going to play? Who will play on this team? South America definitely does not have enough talent to field a second team unless you’re resigning them to last place.

Focus on grassroots to really build the game. If you just come in here with another foreign league you’re not really building rugby in the country despite whatever you may say. And Super Rugby is a giant convoluted mess that even many New Zealanders want to get away from. Teams play across multiple time zones stretch out the talent way too far.

But seriously though....who is going to play on this supposed team? I wasn’t just asking a rhetorical question before, I’m serious. You can’t build a team with just foreign players.

Find me the person footing the bill first...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 17:30

I keep hearing there is no possibility of a second SR franchise but I agree with Raven, I cannot see why not. The arguments against it so far have not swayed me.

The argument is the context. Super Rugby is in poor comercial shape, loosing money. They can't afford another expansion just after cutting teams (with the argument of making itself stronger). It makes no sense for sponsors, supporters in NZ, AUS and SA (and Argentina, where the Jaguares is still far from success, in and outside the field) and would kill the competition now, that is already bleeding players to Europe.

It does not mean that in the future they can solve all this and start thinking again about expansions. But it is not in the near horizon. That is a simple (sad) reality.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 17:33

TheStroBro wrote:
Tobar wrote:I don’t understand how anyone sees a second South American super rugby franchise as viable in any way possible. Getting one in Argentina got enough pushback as is. Where is this other team going to play? Who will play on this team? South America definitely does not have enough talent to field a second team unless you’re resigning them to last place.

Find me the person footing the bill first...

Another hitch in the plan. Perhaps a South American billionaire who played a game when he studied abroad in London?

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 18:38

Victor did you know if this has anything to do with the south america professional league project?
https://www.facebook.com/BrasilRugby/photos/a.10152184575744298.501504.300305904297/10156929219349298/?type=3&theater

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 03 Apr 2018, 23:57

I know NOTHING about this. They are keeping the secret. Nobody knows...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 00:04

2018 South American U20 Championship - in Asunción, Paraguay (Heroes de Curupayti stadium)

Group West: Chile, Paraguay and Colombia
Group East - Uruguay Brazil and Venezuela

Format: teams play ONLY the teams from the other group (that bizarre formula). Best team after 3 rounds is the champion (ridiculous)

The fixture changed today. Here you are the new fixture:

(local time)
Sunday April 8th
12:00 - Chile vs Venezuela
14:00 - Uruguay vs Colombia
16:00 - Paraguay vs Brazil

Wednesday April 11th
12:00 - Venezuela vs Colombia
14:00 - Brazil vs Chile
16:00 - Uruguay vs Paraguay

Saturday April 14th

12:00 - Brazil vs Colombia
14:00 - Paraguay vs Venezuela
16:00 - Uruguay vs Chile

Brazilian squad:
Adrio Luiz de Melo (Leões/Pasteur), Ariel Rodrigues (Jacareí), Brendon Pinheiro (Leões/Pasteur), Daniel "Maranhão" Lima (Poli), David Muller de Páscoa (BH Rugby), Douglas Vinicius Machado (Jacareí), Felipe Cunha (São José), Gabriel Eduardo Graeff Ribeiro (Curitiba), Henrique Ribeiro (Curitiba), João Victor Pereira da Silva (São José), Joel Araujo dos Santos (Pasteur), Leonardo de Souza da Silva (Serra Gaúcha), Leonardo Dias (Curitiba), Leonardo Cecarelli (Jacareí), Levy Marinho (Jacareí), Lucas Spago (Pasteur), Marcos Vinicius de Melo (Farrapos), Matheus Augusto Claudio (Jacareí), Matheus de Oliveira (Desterro), Patrick Bruno Fonseca (São José), Piero Pozzi (Jacareí), Rafael Henrique Teixeira (São José), Robson de Morais (Leões/Pasteur), Thiago Ramos (Joaca), Victor Guilherme Silva (São José), William Marcelo Crippa (Serra Gaúcha);

Coach: Damian Rotondo (Argentina)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 14:45

BTW, the Brazilian Rugby Union proposed to Sudamerica Rugby a U18 or U19 South American Championship in October/November. Let's wait confirmation. It would be great, following the steps of Europe.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 16:43

Not even a single playoff between the winners of both groups? That's an odd way to declare a champion.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 16:57

Nothing. Worst formula possible.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 17:07

Tobar wrote:Not even a single playoff between the winners of both groups? That's an odd way to declare a champion.

Sort of like the Americas Pacific Challenge.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 17:27

Yes, who invented this was World Rugby with the Nations Cup I believe. Bizarre.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 17:41

I understand that they want to make the number of games more manageable but it would be nice to have a real winner, either through playoff or by playing similar opponents.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 18:07

Yep. A final two weeks after would be an easy and fair solution. It is not difficult to travel in the Southern Cone.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 18:47

victorsra wrote:BTW, the Brazilian Rugby Union proposed to Sudamerica Rugby a U18 or U19 South American Championship in October/November. Let's wait confirmation. It would be great, following the steps of Europe.

What about playing in the Argentino Juvenil U18? The tournament has one home fixture and one away fixture. Then all teams gather in one place for the last round of qualification, semi-final and final.

2018 Fixture: http://uar.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/20 ... l-2018.pdf

If they tweak the format to limit travel, Uruguay, Brazil, Chile and Paraguay could participate without problems. I’m surprised Uruguay isn’t playing yet. It’s the only UAR tournament where they don’t have a team.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 04 Apr 2018, 20:16

I always wanted that. But the problem I believe is the calendar. Many travels and I guess Argentine provinces wouldn't like to travel far away.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 08 Apr 2018, 16:58

HT - Chile 62-00 Venezuela

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B45uvT5wVTU live here

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 08 Apr 2018, 17:39

FT - Chile 119 - 00 Venezuela (U20)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 08 Apr 2018, 18:48

HT - Uruguay 59-00 Colombia

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 08 Apr 2018, 19:42

FT - Uruguay 92-05 Colombia

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Hernan14 » Sun, 08 Apr 2018, 19:47

victorsra wrote:FT - Uruguay 92-05 Colombia

Uruguay 99-05 Colombia :thumbup:

https://twitter.com/RugbyUruguay/status ... 5881928705

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Sun, 08 Apr 2018, 20:09

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 08 Apr 2018, 20:30

25', Brazil 13-00 Paraguay

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Sun, 08 Apr 2018, 20:36

Kudos for the stream. The broadcast looks good. Also, the Paraguayan union finally created their twitter feed (@URugbyPy).

Bummer that Sudamerica Rugby fucked up the format to fast track teams. You could make an argument for Colombia but Venezuela’s inclusion is baffling.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum