Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum - View topic - South American rugby

Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American rugby

Posts: 4050
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Tue, 29 May 2018, 22:15

Argentina 20-36 Uruguay.

Congrats Chile and Uruguay!
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: South American rugby

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 02 Jun 2018, 19:19

Our men's team lost again to Chile, so it's been bittersweet.

Posts: 548
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: South American rugby

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 00:12

Agen sign Colombian Andres Zafra, formerly of Lyon.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... res-zafra/

I've heard of South Americans, primarily Argentinians, going to Spain to play rugby - is this something that Colombians, Uruguayans, Chileans and Paraguayans have been able to do too? I'm not sure how the visa process works for Europe but I know plenty of Argentinians have European ancestry which makes it easier.

Posts: 192
Joined: Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 15:43
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: South American rugby

Postby qwerty » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 00:16

There are some Uruguayans playing in France, most notably Rodrigo Capó of Castres.

Posts: 548
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: South American rugby

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 00:22

Yes and I think he was the one who hoisted the trophy too. I bring up Spain because there is a clear shared language and the transition for South Americans to play some higher quality rugby in Spain (or Brazilians in Portugal) would be easier than in France.

Posts: 2547
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: South American rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 07:25

Tobar wrote:I've heard of South Americans, primarily Argentinians, going to Spain to play rugby - is this something that Colombians, Uruguayans, Chileans and Paraguayans have been able to do too? I'm not sure how the visa process works for Europe but I know plenty of Argentinians have European ancestry which makes it easier.

We have all of them playing here, but so far it's not a big step forward, to be honest, and it makes life difficult to be back for their national teams.

Posts: 4050
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 10:15

Brazilian national team players have training every day. If they move to a semi-pro club they won't. This means it is a step back for them. If you talk to a Tupi about going even to France's third division they will say it is a waste of time.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 548
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: South American rugby

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 20:46

World Rugby announced Get Into Rugby numbers and South America is one of the regions with the best numbers, specifically in Colombia.

http://www.sudamericarugby.org/2018/06/ ... nto-rugby/

Translated to English:

World Rugby on Friday announced another year of positive numbers in its mass-program Get Into Rugby, highlighting South America Rugby as one of the regional associations of best work, and specifically, Colombia for its great work in the GIR.

Specifically, Colombia led the table of participants of Get Into Rugby with a total of 216,341 boys and girls in 2017, the largest amount for a union anywhere in the world. With more than 104 thousand new participants, Colombians also recorded the highest global growth in 2017, the year in which they had the most Get Into Rugby activities with South Africa.

Guillermo Signorelli, Manager of Get Into Rugby in South America Rugby, expressed his satisfaction for what was done by so many people in the countries of the region.

"It is to highlight the people who work day by day in the implementation of the program in all its headquarters; Most do it from volunteering and with love of rugby. Without their passion and work, this would not be a reality. Not only the achievements of Colombia but also the rest of the 15 unions and federations that make up South America Rugby.

In all this, planning and teamwork is essential. "It was very important to be able to attend each of the counseling meetings and visits. It was two years of hard work, which undoubtedly paid off. "

"All this was possible to the support of the SAR authorities that accompanied the initial proposal."

With regard to the future, Signorelli explained that "it is thinking about overturning the program in the region, increasing the number of teams and clubs, achieving registered players, giving quality to all the number of participants who passed through the program. We know it is a difficult task but we must be aware that we must be strategic in our actions to optimize resources and return on investment.

Finally, the President of South America Rugby Sebastián Piñeyrúa congratulated all those involved. "The success of the Get Into Rugby program is thanks to the enormous effort of many people to whom we thank and congratulate the love that it puts so that more people can know and enjoy our sport. We have to work together so that these new players embrace our values ​​and continue to enjoy rugby. "


Can someone explain what exactly Get Into Rugby involves? I haven't been able to find a solid answer, most of it just says that it is getting youths involved but can't find specifics. How inflated are these numbers? 216,000 sounds much higher than I would expect.

Posts: 236
Joined: Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 02:19
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: South American rugby

Postby Blurandski » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 20:56

Tobar wrote:World Rugby announced Get Into Rugby numbers and South America is one of the regions with the best numbers, specifically in Colombia.

http://www.sudamericarugby.org/2018/06/ ... nto-rugby/



http://getintorugby.worldrugby.org/?page=85

Describes Get Into Rugby.

From what I understand it's mainly outreach, so getting into schools and clubs to hold little touch rugby sessions with as many people as possible (try), then come back weekly to hold sessions with those that enjoyed the trial (play), then eventually filtering them into school programmes or clubs (stay). As for the exact numbers, anyone who attended the try stage (i.e. the semi-compulsory bit) would count as someone involved.

The globe report (https://www.worldrugby.org/news/338413) says that 2,139,300 people took part in GIR in 2017. I'd be surprised if Colombia by itself was 10% of GIR, although it is definitely a target country for the programme.

Posts: 548
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: South American rugby

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Jun 2018, 21:03

Blurandski wrote:
Tobar wrote:World Rugby announced Get Into Rugby numbers and South America is one of the regions with the best numbers, specifically in Colombia.

http://www.sudamericarugby.org/2018/06/ ... nto-rugby/



http://getintorugby.worldrugby.org/?page=85

Describes Get Into Rugby.

From what I understand it's mainly outreach, so getting into schools and clubs to hold little touch rugby sessions with as many people as possible (try), then come back weekly to hold sessions with those that enjoyed the trial (play), then eventually filtering them into school programmes or clubs (stay). As for the exact numbers, anyone who attended the try stage (i.e. the semi-compulsory bit) would count as someone involved.


Yeah, I saw that but have never been 100% what it actually entails. It looks like it's creating flag and touch rugby programs for kids just to get them aware of rugby and then trying to make sure they have trained coaches available. It does also say that it is up to each Union to decide on the approach and philosophy on how the Game will be played in their country, in line with their Development Player Pathway.

Posts: 215
Joined: Sun, 10 Apr 2016, 03:59
National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Re: South American rugby

Postby Osmanperalta » Fri, 08 Jun 2018, 22:56

sorry for posting late last week started the first national youth tournament (under 18) organized by the bolivian rugby federation my club santa cruz rugby club beat aranjuez 25 to 24.
Image
Image
and also debuted the national seven team which did not do very well but that is the level here. although there were some things that to i think could be improved in the selection of players i see two bolivian team players (captain one) who are really fat you cant play seven with that lack of fitness, however i dont think that others would have done a lot better but it's the beginning from here we can only improve.
The good thing was that many people were interested in sports and we were left with that nice infrastructure in fact, the stadium impressed me a lot and for what i could hear from some players and members of the federation there is a lot of talk about the creation of the national XV team which would be based on Santa Cruz.
some pictures i took
Imagechilean team with a lot local support surprisingly

Image crowd
Image

Posts: 548
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: South American rugby

Postby Tobar » Sat, 09 Jun 2018, 16:11

What a mug. Is it common for you guys to bring umbrellas for shade down there?

Posts: 4050
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Sun, 10 Jun 2018, 08:48

Osmanperalta wrote:sorry for posting late last week started the first national youth tournament (under 18) organized by the bolivian rugby federation my club santa cruz rugby club beat aranjuez 25 to 24.
Image
Image
and also debuted the national seven team which did not do very well but that is the level here. although there were some things that to i think could be improved in the selection of players i see two bolivian team players (captain one) who are really fat you cant play seven with that lack of fitness, however i dont think that others would have done a lot better but it's the beginning from here we can only improve.
The good thing was that many people were interested in sports and we were left with that nice infrastructure in fact, the stadium impressed me a lot and for what i could hear from some players and members of the federation there is a lot of talk about the creation of the national XV team which would be based on Santa Cruz.
some pictures i took
Imagechilean team with a lot local support surprisingly

Image crowd
Image

Awesome!!!
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: South American rugby

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 22:45

Osmanperalta wrote: Image

That grandstand is a million times better than the one at the Estadio Charrúa.

Posts: 192
Joined: Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 15:43
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: South American rugby

Postby qwerty » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 02:52

How so? It doesn't look so different to me, only that it has some paint.

User avatar
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: South American rugby

Postby NaBUru38 » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 17:06

The grandstands at the Estadio Charrúa are uneven, and some are broken.

Posts: 192
Joined: Sun, 04 Mar 2018, 15:43
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: South American rugby

Postby qwerty » Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 21:44

I hadn't noticed any of that when I was there, or perhaps I don't remember.

Posts: 346
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: South American rugby

Postby Raven » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 15:20

NaBUru38 wrote:The grandstands at the Estadio Charrúa are uneven, and some are broken.


This is why it´s being refurbished ;) Little by little, you guys have the Charrúa as your home, confirmed 100%. Bolivia is only starting talks, aim for the moon and you may hit a star, but you guys with less resources already have something even the big Bro. Argentina doesn´t.

User avatar
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri, 19 Feb 2016, 22:49
Location: Córdoba
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: South American rugby

Postby argie » Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 23:27

Tobar wrote:What a mug. Is it common for you guys to bring umbrellas for shade down there?


The sun should feel strong at that height. The only time I was in Bolivia, on a clear day it was cold in the shade, but it burned the skin in the sunlight.

Posts: 215
Joined: Sun, 10 Apr 2016, 03:59
National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Re: South American rugby

Postby Osmanperalta » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 02:54

Yeah, the altiplano sun is very strong in fact i regretted not wearing an umbrella, luckily my girlfriend carry a national flag which we intercaled to cover us because the grandstand with roof was only for players and press

Posts: 346
Joined: Wed, 11 Jun 2014, 07:45
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: South American rugby

Postby carbonero » Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 22:41

The rumored Americas Sevens Series is not happening > http://www.sudamericarugby.org/2018/06/ ... vens-2019/

Posts: 548
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: South American rugby

Postby Tobar » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 15:31

It’s just funny to me to see so many people with umbrellas to hide from the sun but then everyone is wearing jeans, some of those guys even wearing sweaters

User avatar
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: South American rugby

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 15 Jun 2018, 15:59

The 2018-19 South American Sevens Series will serve as 2020 Olympic qualifier.

Posts: 1776
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: South American rugby

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 23 Jun 2018, 20:19

Not technically T2 but jeez is this the worst Argentina side ever? Shipping almost a point a minute to Scotland at the moment.

Posts: 4050
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Sun, 24 Jun 2018, 02:50

The 2018-19 South American Sevens Series will serve as 2020 Olympic qualifier.


No. As I undestood there will be another Olympics Qualy, probably in May, TBA.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 10 guests