Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American rugby

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: South American rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 14:23

victorsra wrote:2 Argentina, 2 Uruguay, 2 Brazil, 1 Chile and 1 Paraguay

A shame Columbia can't join just yet, but hopefully once this league is stable enough a way can be found to have them join.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 16:53

Colombia still needs a bit of growth so I think it’s best to wait a few years after the league becomes more stable. It’s a far distance to travel so it’d be best to make sure they can get some fans to their games to make up some money. They are starting to get more and now that they won the ARCh and the games were shown live on Win Sports that should help a lot in the long run.

On this note, there is apparently going to be an Americas combine for MLR in Glendale in a few weeks. No idea who’s going to be there but it’s happening and the Raptors are playing them.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 18:23

thatrugbyguy wrote:A shame Columbia can't join just yet, but hopefully once this league is stable enough a way can be found to have them join.

We don’t have any Colombian posters yet but I’m sure that if we had one, he would jump at you for saying Columbia instead of Colombia.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby welshdragon2000 » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 18:54

Just been looking at the venue for the Brazil vs MAB game. 72,000!! Bit optimistic aren’t they? I knew it was a big venue but I was expecting more like 45-50,000. How many fans are they expecting? 8,500 tickets sold victor says but there’s a long way to go to 72,000

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 19:18

carbonero wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:A shame Columbia can't join just yet, but hopefully once this league is stable enough a way can be found to have them join.

We don’t have any Colombian posters yet but I’m sure that if we had one, he would jump at you for saying Columbia instead of Colombia.

My girlfriend is Colombian (which is why I have interest in the area) so I do get a bit of a gut punch when I see Columbia but I'm far enough removed to let it go, hah.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 19:53

After renovations the real capacity is around 65.000 in fact. I'll tell you: with less than 30.000 Morumbi Stadium has a poor atmosphere. We need to reach 30.000.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 20:02

victorsra wrote:After renovations the real capacity is around 65.000 in fact. I'll tell you: with less than 30.000 Morumbi Stadium has a poor atmosphere. We need to reach 30.000.

Is the current figure of 8500 already a record for a rugby game in Brazil?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 20:05

No. The record is o10.500 for Brazil vs Germany in 2015 (although some people entered the stadium at half time and proably the total was 11.000) and for the Rio Olympics men's finals (10.200) But the women's final I think was around 9.000.

The best attendance after those was Brazil vs Uruguay in 2016, 7.500.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 22:50

Still several weeks to go so hopefully more tickets get sold. Apologies for spelling Colombia wrong, lol.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 18 Sep 2018, 05:36

Convocatoria lista para el Suramericano “B” XV Mayores

El entrenador Mario Urdaneta, dio a conocer a los 25 rugbistas de la Selección de Venezuela que representarán al país en Guatemala desde 27 de septiembre al 7 de octubre, en el Suramericano “B” XV de Mayores.
[...]
1. Espinoza Lisandro. (UCVRC, Caracas)
2. Olivera Daniel. (Caballeros RC; Mérida)
3. Luis Zabala. (PSG RC, Montevideo- URU)
4. Pernía Aleksei. (Petirrojos RC, Medellín- COL)
5. Hernández Eduardo. (UCVRC, Caracas)
6. Silva Eroy. (Alcatraz RC, El Consejo)
7. Paz José. (GEBA, Buenos Aires- ARG)
8. Marcano Daniel. (Caballeros RC; Mérida)
9. Villegas Anthony. (Idacaz RC, Boyacá- COL)
10. Albornoz Daniel. (Caballeros RC; Mérida)
11. Limpio Juan. (Alcatraz RC, El Consejo)
12. De Souza Juan. (UCAB RC, Caracas)
13. López Luis. (Alcatraz RC, El Consejo)
14. Ochoa Oscar. (UCVRC, Caracas)
15. Ruiz Ramón. (Alcatraz RC, El Consejo)
16. Abache Samir. (UCAB RC, Caracas)
17. Cordero Kelving. (Barbarians RC, Bogota- COL)
18. Cañizalez Jesús. (UCAB RC, Caracas)
19. Maldonado Ender. (Caballeros RC; Mérida)
20. Ramírez Karlos. (Caballeros RC; Mérida)
21. Hussein Jonás. (CRUM, Caracas)
22. Arrieta Wilkinson. (Alcatraz RC, El Consejo)
23. Arrieta José. (Alcatraz RC, El Consejo)
24. Ayoub Ali. (CRUM, Caracas)
25. Rojas José. (UCVRC, Caracas)

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 03:38

Not shocking a decent amount of these players are in a Colombia. I wonder how much they’d have if they include players who seek asylum.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 13:35

The schedule for the Sudamericano 4 Naciones "B" in Guatemala City..

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 30
- Guatemala vs Peru (10:00 local)
- Venezuela vs Costa Rica (12:00 local)

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 03
- Peru vs Costa Rica (10:00 local)
- Guatemala vs Venezuela (12:00 local)

SATURDAY OCTOBER 06
- Guatemala vs Costa Rica (10:00 local)
- Venezuela vs Peru (12:00 local)

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 13:47

Interested in seeing whether Venezuela will still be above Peru this year.

Also to see if there is much disparity between Guatemala and Costa Rica, and Venezuela and Peru.

Postby Raven » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 15:01

Historically Venezuela has been the best of all 4, I don´t suppose the situation in the country is enough to narrow distances with the rest, plus they seem to have been able to find a handful of players playing abroad to come and play for them, despite of the fact they are depriving of a few more (there´s even 1 at HRK! in Germany)

I may stand corrected, but Venezuela could be a good addition to the Americas Rugby Challenge.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 15:08

Raven wrote:Historically Venezuela has been the best of all 4, I don´t suppose the situation in the country is enough to narrow distances with the rest, plus they seem to have been able to find a handful of players playing abroad to come and play for them, despite of the fact they are depriving of a few more (there´s even 1 at HRK! in Germany)

I may stand corrected, but Venezuela could be a good addition to the Americas Rugby Challenge.

Yeah, I've been saying that I see Venezuela and Peru as the most likely additions to make the ARChall a 6-nation tournament. RAN teams below maybe Mexico don't really seem to make the cut.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 17:34

If we talk about markets Peru is the next most important to enter the Challenge.

If there is money for that, it would be interesting to see Peru (if they prove theirselves better than Venezuela now) playing a 5 teams Americas Challenge with 2 home and 2 away matches for each country.

But after Guyana's bad performance I think it would be better in 2019 to have a 3-teams competition with 1 home and 1 away match for each team. Allow Colombia, Paraguay and Mexico to play at home and this new competition will grow in importance. Let the champion challenge the ARC 6th team and the two bottom teams do a playoff against one South American and one Caribbean team.

Exemple:

Americas Challenge - 3 teams (at least 1 home, 1 away match): Colombia, Paraguay and Mexico (between Feb and July)

Playoffs: (between July and December)
Challenge champions vs ARC 6th (Colombia vs Chile)
Challenge runners up vs South America B champions or Rugby Americas North Champ. champions (the worst ranked) (Paraguay vs Peru)
Challenge 3rd vs South America B champions or Rugby Americas North Champ. champions (the best ranked) (Mexico vs Guyana)

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 17:59

victorsra wrote:If we talk about markets Peru is the next most important to enter the Challenge.

If there is money for that, it would be interesting to see Peru (if they prove theirselves better than Venezuela now) playing a 5 teams Americas Challenge with 2 home and 2 away matches for each country.

But after Guyana's bad performance I think it would be better in 2019 to have a 3-teams competition with 1 home and 1 away match for each team. Allow Colombia, Paraguay and Mexico to play at home and this new competition will grow in importance. Let the champion challenge the ARC 6th team and the two bottom teams do a playoff against one South American and one Caribbean team.

Exemple:

Americas Challenge - 3 teams (at least 1 home, 1 away match): Colombia, Paraguay and Mexico (between Feb and July)

Playoffs: (between July and December)
Challenge champions vs ARC 6th (Colombia vs Chile)
Challenge runners up vs South America B champions or Rugby Americas North Champ. champions (the worst ranked) (Paraguay vs Peru)
Challenge 3rd vs South America B champions or Rugby Americas North Champ. champions (the best ranked) (Mexico vs Guyana)

Hmm I don't think I'm on this one. I believe the ARChall should follow the example of the Championship. Brazil doesn't do very well away in the Championship, but it is an undeniable factor that helps them progress. Same eventually with Chile I hope.

I believe the same about Venezuela and Peru. The play-offs should be between the bottom Sudamérica team against the Sudamérica champion of the next division (for example Peru-Costa Rica) and the same with RAN (for example Guyana-Trinidad & Tobago). Of course the champion should play the bottom team of the ARC.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 19:10

Of course the best model is the ARC model. However those nations don't have the money for all the travel involved. They don't even have money to make their sevens teams play more than 1 or 2 tournaments/year. Once more, it would be possible only with WR money. That's why I proposed a cheaper model for a short term.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 20 Sep 2018, 10:49

How much money would WR have to invest to align the ARCh with the Championship? Ideally we’d want to emulate Europe and have two divisions of 6 teams.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Thu, 20 Sep 2018, 12:39

Selección de Venezuela

Thanks for posting this list canalina. What was your source please?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 20 Sep 2018, 13:18

RugInt wrote:
Selección de Venezuela

Thanks for posting this list canalina. What was your source please?

It's on it's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FederacionVenezolanaDeRugby/

released: 18 September

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 12:04

South Americans set to shine in MLR. Three Uruguayans are joining MLR - Santiago Arata, Ignacio Dotti and Santiago Vilaseca. Arata is being linked to the Sabercats.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... gue-rugby/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 12:45

Good to see. Uruguay are going to be the most competitive they’ve ever been at next years World Cup. Hopefully they really push some teams.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 13:33

thatrugbyguy wrote:Good to see. Uruguay are going to be the most competitive they’ve ever been at next years World Cup. Hopefully they really push some teams.

Unfortunately the organization hasn't made it easy for us, we play Georgia 4 days after Fiji.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 13:37

qwerty wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Good to see. Uruguay are going to be the most competitive they’ve ever been at next years World Cup. Hopefully they really push some teams.

Unfortunately the organization hasn't made it easy for us, we play Georgia 4 days after Fiji.

You can only do the best your can. Honestly, you’re actually not in too difficult a pool this time around.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum