Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American rugby

Posts: 4133
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: South American rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 20 Mar 2020, 15:33

No, it's been in place for a couple of years if I'm not mistaken.

User avatar
Posts: 5429
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: South American rugby

Postby Canalina » Fri, 20 Mar 2020, 15:34

Hm, sorry, I had never seen this logo so I've thought it was a novelty

Image

Posts: 6588
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Fri, 20 Mar 2020, 16:41

Canalina wrote:Hm, sorry, I had never seen this logo so I've thought it was a novelty

Image

they've used this in a couple of official images
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 5429
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: South American rugby

Postby Canalina » Fri, 20 Mar 2020, 17:24

And of course the president of Rugby Americas is Pichot, alias "I'm not interested in chairs"
Ok, my scarce sympathy for Pichot is note I think

Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: South American rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 20 Mar 2020, 18:29

Europe and Africa should get together and form Rugby EMEA. And Asia and Ocean should form Rugby Asia Pacific. Regions based around time zones is the strategic way to go.

Posts: 781
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: South American rugby

Postby Edgar » Fri, 20 Mar 2020, 21:27

Chester-Donnelly wrote:Europe and Africa should get together and form Rugby EMEA. And Asia and Ocean should form Rugby Asia Pacific. Regions based around time zones is the strategic way to go.


Asia-Oceania at the top level, by all means, but it's actually 18,000km from one end of this combined region to the other, or 12 hours time difference, so they should definitely continue to operate under separate administrative bodies, like South America & RAN.

I can't see any possible advantage in combining African and European rugby either. They have absolutely nothing in common, least of all culture or climate. Both confederations have ample members, 47 in Europe and 37 in Africa. Any merger would be pointless and cumbersome.

Reducing world rugby into three mega time zones is not the way forward. Developing local rivalries and intra-regional competition is the key to globalizing the game.

Posts: 6588
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Fri, 20 Mar 2020, 23:25

Asia-Oceania makes sense only in the Top Level. For lower divisions, it doesn't, they must be regionalized. But TBH the second division (Division I) should be IMO split in West and East right now, to make it possible in the near future to make it a competiton with teams playing home-away matches (and not only in single venues). That's what happens with the Americas: only the top (in fact, the top 2 divisions) is unified.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: South American rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 21 Mar 2020, 00:39

EMEA region includes Middle East. In rugby terms that is not a lot. Dubai Sevens and a small number of developing unions. But from a marketing point of view the region makes sense. It only covers a few time zones so it makes sense for TV scheduling. Tier 1 there is the Six Nations in the north and South Africa in the south. South Africans follow European professional sport, mostly soccer. European markets don't have rugby in the summer. There is an opportunity right there to market Currie Cup in Europe and European Champions Cup in South Africa.
Then there is the prospect of adding South Africa to the Six Nations. How about adding South Africa and Georgia?

Below tier 1, North African and Arabian teams might have better opportunities playing in European tournaments, rather than taking long flights to southern Africa or the Far East. Losing the near East, and part of central Asia might actually be a help to Rugby Asia. They can concentrate on developing rugby in East Asia, South East Asia and the Indian subcontinent.

Posts: 6588
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Sat, 21 Mar 2020, 01:22

Chester-Donnelly wrote:EMEA region includes Middle East. In rugby terms that is not a lot. Dubai Sevens and a small number of developing unions. But from a marketing point of view the region makes sense. It only covers a few time zones so it makes sense for TV scheduling. Tier 1 there is the Six Nations in the north and South Africa in the south. South Africans follow European professional sport, mostly soccer. European markets don't have rugby in the summer. There is an opportunity right there to market Currie Cup in Europe and European Champions Cup in South Africa.
Then there is the prospect of adding South Africa to the Six Nations. How about adding South Africa and Georgia?

Below tier 1, North African and Arabian teams might have better opportunities playing in European tournaments, rather than taking long flights to southern Africa or the Far East. Losing the near East, and part of central Asia might actually be a help to Rugby Asia. They can concentrate on developing rugby in East Asia, South East Asia and the Indian subcontinent.


For amateur levels (everything below 6N) this is not doable. Imagine the costs .... only regionalization would help.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: South American rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 21 Mar 2020, 01:57

victorsra wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:EMEA region includes Middle East. In rugby terms that is not a lot. Dubai Sevens and a small number of developing unions. But from a marketing point of view the region makes sense. It only covers a few time zones so it makes sense for TV scheduling. Tier 1 there is the Six Nations in the north and South Africa in the south. South Africans follow European professional sport, mostly soccer. European markets don't have rugby in the summer. There is an opportunity right there to market Currie Cup in Europe and European Champions Cup in South Africa.
Then there is the prospect of adding South Africa to the Six Nations. How about adding South Africa and Georgia?

Below tier 1, North African and Arabian teams might have better opportunities playing in European tournaments, rather than taking long flights to southern Africa or the Far East. Losing the near East, and part of central Asia might actually be a help to Rugby Asia. They can concentrate on developing rugby in East Asia, South East Asia and the Indian subcontinent.


For amateur levels (everything below 6N) this is not doable. Imagine the costs .... only regionalization would help.


Below 6N not much would change. The change would be at the professional strategic level.
Below that teams would play against others in their region. You could include north Africa in Europe because it's close, but you wouldn't have sub Sahara African teams playing in the REIC leagues.

User avatar
Posts: 5429
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: South American rugby

Postby Canalina » Sat, 21 Mar 2020, 07:43

The merge between North and South America seems logical to me and we said it in the forum several times in the past years. Because both North and South America have a disomogenous group of nations: in the south, Argentina is way too stronger than the neighbor countries; in the north Usa and Canada are enormously more competitive than the rest of the platoon; and Mexico was in a limbo between the too strong Usa and Canada and the too tiny caribbean nations. Now Argentina has found some more competitive opponents in Usa and Canada, these last have some good rivals as Uruguay and Chile, Mexico found nations more or less at its level in Colombia, Venezuela and Peru and maybe soon or later also the caribbean nations and the isthmus nations will start to play each other.

I can't see instead real advantages from the merge between Europe and Africa.

An Asia-Oceania fusion would maybe help a little more, because the panorama over there is somehow similar to the american one: in the north Japan is (was) isolated, in the south there are two superpowers, three very good nations (Fiji, Samoa, Tonga) and a long distance from them a group of tiny archipelagos; PNG is "the local Mexico", too weak for the top of the continent and maybe too strong for Vanuatu, Cook, Niue and co. A merge could help Japan to have "local" competitive opponents (but they are battling with the pacific islands already for quite some time) and PNG to find in Asia some opponent more fit to them, like maybe Malaysia or Philippines. All in all I don't know if these two collateral benefits worth a merging

Posts: 494
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: South American rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 21 Mar 2020, 08:48

But we have the same situation in the EMEA region. South Africa is peerless in Africa, as is Namibia. Georgia is too good for the REC. Italy struggles in the Six Nations. Kenya, at the moment seems happy to be competing at tier 3 level, but maybe they're being held back by being a big fish in a small pond. I don't think Kenya is reaching its potential. Algeria is peerless in north Africa. Other than Georgia, I don't think the REC teams are improving. A bit of competition from Algeria could freshen up the tournament if Georgia moves up to tier 1. There is already cooperation between South Africa and Georgia, with a Georgia team playing in the Currie Cup First Division. That team could join the Pro 14 once it's at a high enough standard.
In the Middle East rugby isn't big but UAE does have a rugby team, lots of expats, lots of money and the Dubai Sevens. Rugby Sevens could be arranged at an EMEA level. Kenya have a top tier sevens team. Dubai could host international rugby matches.
There is so much potential in the EMEA region, both Commercially and in terms of development, even more so than in the Americas and in the Asia Pacific region.

Posts: 6588
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Sat, 21 Mar 2020, 12:48

For South Africa this situation is irrelevant because they have TRC. Their calendar, in number of matches/year, is complete. For the other nations, there's no economic reason, for both sides. And the expats of Middle East are waaaay behind, so for Georgia this is also irrelevant. The only countries that would benefit from it are the North Africans indeed.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: South American rugby

Postby Tobar » Sun, 22 Mar 2020, 00:15

The reason that Rugby Americas exists is because there are a bunch of developing rugby countries with one much more developed country (but still not as developed as other countries on a national team level). RA also manages the ARC which is a newer tournament.

The powers that be in Europe have no need or interest in this. Technically the Six Nations countries fall under Rugby Europe but I can’t remember any time that has ever mattered. Adding an extra layer of EMEA would just become even more meaningless.

Posts: 6588
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Sun, 22 Mar 2020, 00:23

You mean the Home Nations. Because France and Italy have a long history playing the rest.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: South American rugby

Postby Tobar » Sun, 22 Mar 2020, 00:39

Yeah they do because they were excluded from Six Nations for a long time. They still wouldn’t see much purpose in an EMEA Rugby group.

Posts: 6588
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Sun, 22 Mar 2020, 01:32

Not realy. France played FIRA tournament TOGETHER with the 5 Nations from the 50s to the 90s. Every year they played both.

(but yes, no reason for them to want EMEA)
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: South American rugby

Postby Tobar » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 15:31

Colombian rugby podcast has been created. It seems the quarantine has some sort of positive effects.

https://open.spotify.com/show/2gW75jPzF ... gAX_kmVzWQ

https://instagram.com/alotroladodeltry? ... ktvb4w0nmq

Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
Location: Europe
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: South American rugby

Postby Thomas » Wed, 01 Apr 2020, 18:35

Sometimes you have to put everything in perspective and realise there are some things more important than Rugby.

The wife of the President of Panama Rugby has passed due to the Virus. She was a transplant Doctor and passed away a few days ago. A sad day indeed for Central American Rugby.

Image

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, toulousain and 15 guests