Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Good documentaries

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Good documentaries

Postby iul » Sun, 28 Aug 2016, 21:43

I have, over the past year or so, discovered I quite enjoy crime documentaries. "Making a murderer" and "The Jinx" are fantastic. The ending to The Jinx blew my mind.

Anyway, what other good documentaries, not necessarily of the same genre, can you recommend?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Good documentaries

Postby Canalina » Fri, 31 May 2019, 16:51

It's not properly a documentary but I liked this short one: the preparation, birth and fly away of a bunch of tits

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 01 Jun 2019, 00:53

We have a family of great tits (no sniggering please) in our garden quite regularly. But they steadfastly refuse to nest in our bird house.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 27 Jun 2019, 04:19

Seen a fallow deer on the hills near my town. It was a nice moment. There are several exemplars of deer on those hills but they are mostly roe deers (capreolus capreolus), which are shy; the fallow deer (dama dama) seems instead much more "fearless". Last summer I've seen one of them on the edge of the street; I stopped my bike on the other side of the road, three meters from him/her and he/she just look at me for like ten seconds ("what do this guy want?") before calmly trot away.
Roe deers and fallow deers are very similar, the presence (fallow) or absence (roe) of a little tail is the most simple way to identify them

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Thu, 27 Jun 2019, 15:13

I was anxiously waiting for the moment it was going to maul you with its horns.
What bike do you ride?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 27 Jun 2019, 16:30

Mountain bike. A quite cheap red B-Twin, I don't remember the name of the model. A poor bike I mistreat a bit; bought on spring 2018 but it seems already 10 years old :)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 01 Jul 2019, 07:16

I recommend the documentary "They shall not grow old" from Peter Jackson, who made it including colouring a lot of old movie pictures. I did not get a lot new things out of it, but for somebody who doesn't know a lot about WW1 that is a must see, for the rest just for the very well made pictures.
Also British soldiers have shockingly bad teeth :D

https://dokustreams.de/they-shall-not-grow-old/ (documentary is in english)

Fun fact: there is a quote of an English guy who said he was at a rugby banquet with a German team, when they got the message, that Great Britain had declared war on Germany "We decided, this can wait until tomorrow and continued our banquet" :D

I also laughed, when the Bavarian soldier told the English guy, that they will be replaced by Prussians soon and that they should give them hell :lol:

What I didn't like was, that they didn't really make clear what the casualty numbers were really like. That's really important for a WW1 docu, as imho this was the most brutal war for soldiers ever. If you've never seen it, watch "All Quiet on the Western front". Gives you a good feeling, what the soldiers went through.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Return to Other subjects