Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Georgian Election/Politics

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Georgian Election/Politics

Postby Coloradoan » Tue, 11 Oct 2016, 19:13

Can anyone tell me about the differences between the various political parties in Georgia? I know Ivanishvili is the leader of Georgian Dream and Saakashvili is the leader of UNM but it's tough to find much about what the parties actually stand for in English.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Georgian Election/Politics

Postby fullbackace » Sun, 13 Nov 2016, 22:03

Coloradoan wrote:Can anyone tell me about the differences between the various political parties in Georgia? I know Ivanishvili is the leader of Georgian Dream and Saakashvili is the leader of UNM but it's tough to find much about what the parties actually stand for in English.

Both stand for their interests, Saakashvili is basically Georgian Trump and Ivanishvili is Georgian wall street. GD are basically establishment Democrat/Republicans.

Saakashvili blames Ivanishvili for being a russian puppet.(not necessarily true)
Ivanishvili blames Saakashvili for being an authoritarian criminal(debatable, but there is a case for it)

They both suck :thumbup:
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby Datiko » Fri, 18 Nov 2016, 05:38

Saakashvili was trying to channel Lee Kwan Yew the way he was running Georgia. He did a lot for the country but underestimated the power of populism and was swept out when trying to pull a putin and become PM (after neutering the office of the president). Honestly, Georgian politics is kind of shit. I have relatives who openly support candidates wanting to revive the monarchy out of some crazy hope that they will suddenly have ancient titles restored. UNM had its issues but it was well governed. GD's main position is blame UNM while not really doing anything.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 18 Nov 2016, 06:45

Datiko wrote:underestimated the power of populism

Same problem here in Italy. A former comedian turned out full of grudge and resentment and formed a party with "fuck off", "fight the caste", "little stupid" (about the prime minister) and "corpse" (about the president of the republic) as most recurrent slogans. In a serious country that comedian would have not been elected as vice-chief of his condominium, in Italy his party is becoming the most voted one and they have already the majors of Rome and Turin (two women that, I admit, are persons surely better than their leader).
That italian party calls itself "moVimento", with V cap locked as the initial of "vaffanculo", "fuck off". But also "Georgian Dream" is not bad. I can't say which of the two titles is more populist…

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 19 Nov 2016, 00:00

Datiko wrote:I have relatives who openly support candidates wanting to revive the monarchy out of some crazy hope that they will suddenly have ancient titles restored.

Well, then Spain and Georgia might end up linked somehow :lol:

Jorge/Giorgi Bagration was exiled here, won a few Spanish motor racing championships, even tried to enter a Formula One Spanish GP, married a Spanish noble and later on his rally codriver and had a few kids from both women born here.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby fullbackace » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 18:57

Datiko wrote:Saakashvili was trying to channel Lee Kwan Yew the way he was running Georgia. He did a lot for the country but underestimated the power of populism and was swept out when trying to pull a putin and become PM (after neutering the office of the president). Honestly, Georgian politics is kind of shit. I have relatives who openly support candidates wanting to revive the monarchy out of some crazy hope that they will suddenly have ancient titles restored. UNM had its issues but it was well governed. GD's main position is blame UNM while not really doing anything.

Saakashvili was also a populist, GD were anti-Saakashvili populists.

Even though I dislike GD, I still think it was good that they beat Saakashvili, UNM ruling past 9 years would have set a bad precedent, plus he was becoming increasingly authoritarian at the end. GD don't do much good but they don't do much bad either.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby Datiko » Wed, 23 Nov 2016, 02:14

fullbackace wrote:
Datiko wrote:Saakashvili was trying to channel Lee Kwan Yew the way he was running Georgia. He did a lot for the country but underestimated the power of populism and was swept out when trying to pull a putin and become PM (after neutering the office of the president). Honestly, Georgian politics is kind of shit. I have relatives who openly support candidates wanting to revive the monarchy out of some crazy hope that they will suddenly have ancient titles restored. UNM had its issues but it was well governed. GD's main position is blame UNM while not really doing anything.

Saakashvili was also a populist, GD were anti-Saakashvili populists.

Even though I dislike GD, I still think it was good that they beat Saakashvili, UNM ruling past 9 years would have set a bad precedent, plus he was becoming increasingly authoritarian at the end. GD don't do much good but they don't do much bad either.

Saakashvili leveraged populism to do good. UNM turned Georgia from a failed state to a relatively stable developing nation. I agree they had to not last forever but instead of a plural democracy you got a constitutional majority by GD. GD is pulling out constitutional controls on power and has a suicidal fiscal policy compared to the old reserve bank. They play to the nepotism of the old intelligentsia and nomenclatura. I don't see them as growing Georgia but rather preserving the status quo to enrich Ivanishvili.

Return to Other subjects