Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The other Rugby Code !

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

The other Rugby Code !

Postby Thomas » Thu, 27 Oct 2016, 10:39

:D

I couldn't help it with the title, I know this Forum is XV Code but from time to time is worth discussing about their cousins.... Some people like this sport some people don't but I want to touch on the subject of their Rugby World Cup in 2021

It seems to me they have missed the boat by awarding it to England and not the USA/Canada. if they want to expand the sport and/or improve their image I thought this was the right time to move it from it's core support areas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/37783226

Does anyone have any opinions on the matter?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: The other Rugby Code !

Postby jonny24 » Thu, 27 Oct 2016, 11:23

I know 2021 is far away, but I don't think it would have worked very well here. I have literally never heard anything about league here except two players I know who play it, and from reading rugby websites.
Norfolk Harvesters RFC 10-0-0 NRU "B" Division Champions

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Thu, 27 Oct 2016, 11:50

The US bid presented their plans and talked to some fans on a league forum here: http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php ... pic=291230

Their whole plan to market their mickey mouse cup was to trick rugby fans into going to their matches on account of their sport also containing the word "rugby" in its name.
They also had some sort of fantasies about launching a professional competition in the US in 2018. I mean, that sport has about 500 players in a country of over 300 million, but they're going to launch a professional competition there :lol: :lol: :lol:.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 28 Oct 2016, 06:26

I just don't see how this makes any sense to have the RL World Cup in the US when there's few clubs, no professionalism and little junior development. And by the time it comes around there's a good chance the USA Eagles will be a tier one nation and Pro Rugby will be 10 seasons old. I don't get it. On top of that the timing is terrible. At the very least the Rugby World Cup could be played in June/July, you can't move the NRL season as it begins in February and ends in October so a RLWC is locked in for late-October, at the hieght of the NFL season.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 24 Feb 2017, 23:22

Toronto's brand new Rugby League team is playing their first real game this weekend. They're facing off in the Challenge Cup vs Siddal.

Return to Other subjects