Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Soccer: East Asia + Oceania

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Soccer: East Asia + Oceania

Postby victorsra » Tue, 28 Mar 2017, 18:50

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/w ... federation

I found this article as an interesting suggestion. That the Asia Football Confederation should break in two, West and East. It makes ALL sense for me. Asia is an European colonial construction, East Asia and Middle East are tooooo far away. Also, Oceania, after Australia left, become an extremely weak continent, with very few commercial opportunities.

In a post-colonial World, it would be interesting to have something like:

- Asia Football Confederation = Middle East, Central Asia and South Asia (Indian Subcontinent aliigned with West Asia makes sense);

- Pacific Football Confederation = East Asia, South East Asia and Oceania

There would be equilibrium between them too. If the South Pacific Islands have at least one spot (NZ + 1) secured in a new Pacific Football Cup, they will win much more as the current situation.

I wonder if such movement could be used in other sports too.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Soccer: East Asia + Oceania

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 29 Mar 2017, 11:34

As far as I'm concerned having the Middle east and Asia in the one confederation has always been ridiculous. Not that it really matters anymore. Every major soccer country will qualify for the world cup when they expand to 48.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 29 Mar 2017, 14:54

It matters for the clubs, Asian Champions League. Specially when we think about TV times and the World Club Cup (Saudi, Emirati, Qatari or Iranian clubs are always strong enough to win it, risking of leaving East Asia/Australia without representation... and with a sh*t amateur Oceania team in).

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 06:57

Some of the middle east countries don't feel like Australia belongs in the Asian confederation. We won the Asian cup in 2014, not ever member of the confederation was happy about that.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 18:18

Yep, man, I think everybody gains with it and afterall Asia would have 2 (and not 1) team in the World Club Cup and in the Confederations Cup. And a Pacific Champions League would secure Japan, Korea, China, Australia with even 5 clubs, plus Thailand, Indonesia... it a good deal.

And for the West Asia it is good too because the strong countries (Saudi Arabia, Iran) are struggling in the clubs competition with the growth of East Asia in soccer and the smaller countries like Jordan or Lebanon woudn't be left out of the Champions League. Besides, it also creates the possibility to see India finally with more space and some Indian clubs (from their rich Super League, that is set to be the sole league in the country) appearing in the groups stage.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Fri, 31 Mar 2017, 11:30

There is a federation just for arab countries, UAFA, which covers all the middle east and northern Africa. there has always been a conflict between the North African countries and the sub saharan countries and there has always been talk of the south of Africa splitting away so it makes sense that they do that, the UAFA federation becomes a de facto continental organisation and the rest of Asia, basically the ASEAN and Indian Sub continent countries jon with the OFC to form another one.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 31 Mar 2017, 18:18

Yes, however a Arab federation excludes Iran or Uzbekistan or an eventual Kurdistan (that are NOT arabs) or South Asia.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Mon, 12 Jun 2017, 05:35

I completely disagree. The AFC is the weakest Football Federation at the moment, not counting Oceania. Splitting the top nations into two pools would weaken them further, they will play less quality opposition. Giving the weakest link another berth in the Confed Cup and Club Championship would weaken these furthermore, they seem to be in place out of commercial interest only. FIFA is selling out the game and I feel they are overdoing it. The AFC is split up in 5 regional divisions, with their own championships, in my opinion a merger of Oceania and Asia would be even better than the current system. Same goes for rugby, where, if I understand it correctly, two teams from Oceania are awarded with a 0,25x qualifier spot. Outright ridiculous. With a 48 team world cup New Zealand basically is guaranteed a spot. I think that's bs.

Return to Other subjects