Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The Rugby League Thread

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 27 Aug 2019, 10:09

Truth is most RL fans, either in England or Australia, don't care about expansion in any meaningful way, at least down here they don't. Both leagues have clubs that are well over 100 years old and most fans are happy for the status quo to remain. The last time there was an expansion team was 12 years ago, and that was simply to have an even number of teams in the competition. Although it could hardly even be considered expansion as there had been a team in the same city previously.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 31 Aug 2019, 08:35

World Cup qualifiers, Russia replaced by Serbia due to internal problems

http://www.rlif.com/article/8701/

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Mon, 02 Sep 2019, 15:13

Russia will not play World Cup qualification.
But it was decided to hold Championship anyway.
3 teams take part in it.
Vereya, Derevyashki (CSKA) and Gladiators.

In first match Vereya defeated Derevyashki 54 - 26

This is Vereya club field ...

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 14 Sep 2019, 06:50

Double live match this afternoon if someone is interested

15 local (12 UTC) Turkey v Greece women
17 local (14 UTC) Turkey v Greece men

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 15 Sep 2019, 19:20

Weekend's results

Turkey v Greece 24-38
Turkey v Greece women 40-4
Albania v Great Britain Pioneers 0-48
Serbia South* v Canada 2-78
Serbia v Canada women 6-34
Netherlands v Germany 56-18

* Bosnia, then Montenegro were supposed to play but they were eventually substituted by a select of southern Serbia

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Tue, 24 Sep 2019, 08:04

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/french-t ... ans-21585/
After some 15 years of Catalans being in Super League the French TV deal is still worth only 70k euro / year

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 24 Sep 2019, 09:17

Nothing surprising, as RL is a very minor sport here. It's mostly play around Perpignan. Nobody really cares outside of this area...

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 26 Sep 2019, 12:57

iul wrote:https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/french-tv-to-drop-catalans-21585/
After some 15 years of Catalans being in Super League the French TV deal is still worth only 70k euro / year

The owners and RFL are very insular which is the biggest problem.

There has been ongoing discussions about whether Toronto Wolfpack will be let in to the top flight. Supposedly Super League Owners don't want to give Toronto any central funding which Toronto has agreed to do but they also now want Toronto to continue to pay for travel and accommodations which was never the deal when Toronto joined the RFL system.

Read a little bit about it here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-chief-warns-toronto-20075619.amp

It makes no sense as Toronto have been undoubtedly good for the RFL, attendances in the Championship saw 10% growth over last season and 1.3 million people watched TWP matches on Sky.

Ultimately I think Toronto will be let in to Super League. They drew 9,300 for their playoff match against Toulouse last week and are consistently outdrawing half the Super League clubs. England is tapped out and the sport isn't going to grow much beyond the M62 corridor.

Toulouse are also close to making it to the top. My feeling is in 2021, when the TV deal gets renegotiated, Toronto, Toulouse and London are all in Super League. Toulouse Olympique are ground sharing with Stade Toulouse next season.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Sat, 28 Sep 2019, 17:17

The TV deal in France isn't worth peanuts because of the RFL. It's because the French don't care about the competition.

TWP achieves is large crowds by throwing tickets like confetti to their beer festival with a league game in the middle. They can only do that because of their billionaire owner.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sat, 28 Sep 2019, 21:03

I've only heard of this sport via the Latin Heat rugby programs. Great guy running it but it's by and large a very small niche in Latin America.

Also some of the "Latin American" rugby league teams are borderline comical. The El Salvador team is entirely made up of Salvadorans in Australia (a community I had no idea existed). I know Mexico's rugby union team has a fair amount of gabachos, but wow these rugby league teams are mostly Australians/Brits/NZers putting on whatever jersey their grandpa's parakeet spent a summer in.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Tue, 01 Oct 2019, 18:35

yeah, even the Namekian squad is full of Aussies. Such a joke
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Wed, 02 Oct 2019, 02:47

rey200 wrote:yeah, even the Namekian squad is full of Aussies. Such a joke

those Dragon Balls are hidden in the outback, I tell ya.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Wed, 02 Oct 2019, 16:03

iul wrote:The TV deal in France isn't worth peanuts because of the RFL. It's because the French don't care about the competition.

TWP achieves is large crowds by throwing tickets like confetti to their beer festival with a league game in the middle. They can only do that because of their billionaire owner.

Never said they did care. Rugby League is a niche sport in France but it's still played there. It's about as popular in France as Rugby Union is in Canada.

Your comments about TWP are off base though. Totally valid if it were year 1 and 2 when they were building a fan base. They have a healthy season ticket holder size now though and are gaining on popularity.

Btw, I've been to half a dozen TWP games and have paid every time, when have you been to watch them or do you take all your info secondhand from trolls?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 02 Oct 2019, 16:50

The problem the RFL has though is if Catalans, Toronto and Toulouse are all in the top division there are fewer English clubs and Sky are paying for the English people that subscribe to them. There has always been this idea, often shared by rugby union, that somehow foreign TV will pay loads for occasional games from one club. Well, I've never seen it happen.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Thu, 03 Oct 2019, 01:20

sk 88 wrote:The problem the RFL has though is if Catalans, Toronto and Toulouse are all in the top division there are fewer English clubs and Sky are paying for the English people that subscribe to them. There has always been this idea, often shared by rugby union, that somehow foreign TV will pay loads for occasional games from one club. Well, I've never seen it happen.

I guess it would kinda akin to putting a team in Mexico City and somehow expecting that the Mexican market pay big bucks for that one team (never mind the regionalism that exists in the North America countries), so I concur with that opinion.

Postby 4N » Thu, 03 Oct 2019, 15:14

The NFL commissioner has long wanted a London team to add the UK/European market. The reason it hasn’t happened is opposition from player representatives.

Return_of_BG_97 wrote:I know Mexico's rugby union team has a fair amount of gabachos, but wow these rugby league teams are mostly Australians/Brits/NZers putting on whatever jersey their grandpa's parakeet spent a summer in.

How many Argentines play for Mexico? The other foreign names are pretty obvious. Anyway I thought the team was about 80% native.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sat, 05 Oct 2019, 05:51

4N wrote:The NFL commissioner has long wanted a London team to add the UK/European market. The reason it hasn’t happened is opposition from player representatives.

Return_of_BG_97 wrote:I know Mexico's rugby union team has a fair amount of gabachos, but wow these rugby league teams are mostly Australians/Brits/NZers putting on whatever jersey their grandpa's parakeet spent a summer in.

How many Argentines play for Mexico? The other foreign names are pretty obvious. Anyway I thought the team was about 80% native.

I'm fairly certain the Mexican team is 70-80% Mexican, mostly from wealthy backgrounds. Rugby is something that has only caught on very recently and is a niche at best. But I think a few of the players are Argentinean, Mexico has a pretty large Argentine community.

EDIT: Pretty much all of the team (except Flegmann) plays domestically which is encouraging, shows that the squad cares about the country they represent; the RL nations seem to have guys switch each week

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 05 Oct 2019, 22:01

Toronto Wolfpack promoted to Super League after defeating Featherstone 24-6 in front of a sold out Lamport Stadium. Over 10k fans:

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sun, 06 Oct 2019, 19:03

How popular are the Wolfpack compared to the Maple Leafs, Raptors, Argonauts, Blue Jays, Toronto FC, or even just the plain old NFL?

I'm talking both Toronto proper and its suburbs/metro area.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 06 Oct 2019, 19:49

Return_of_BG_97 wrote:How popular are the Wolfpack compared to the Maple Leafs, Raptors, Argonauts, Blue Jays, Toronto FC, or even just the plain old NFL?

Not as popular as any of those clubs but they are catching on quickly. The games are fun to go to and the price is right.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Mon, 07 Oct 2019, 00:32

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
Return_of_BG_97 wrote:How popular are the Wolfpack compared to the Maple Leafs, Raptors, Argonauts, Blue Jays, Toronto FC, or even just the plain old NFL?

Not as popular as any of those clubs but they are catching on quickly. The games are fun to go to and the price is right.

Makes sense. Worldwide sporting events are getting more expensive and attendances are declining, if it's cheap and something new (people love supporting new things, look at MLS since 2009) then it'll work, with the right people in place to run the ship.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Mon, 21 Oct 2019, 20:48

World Cup Qualifier - Greece vs Scotland

Friday, 1 November 2019 from 19:30-21:30
Next Week
pin

New River Stadium

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Tue, 22 Oct 2019, 03:00

Errea is a kit provider I haven't seen in a hot minute

Postby 4N » Sat, 26 Oct 2019, 17:00

Tonga XIII beat Great Britain. More players committing to PI nations has been brilliant for RL.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 28 Oct 2019, 08:53

4N wrote:Tonga XIII beat Great Britain. More players committing to PI nations has been brilliant for RL.

"In the lead-up to this match in New Zealand’s North Island, the Tongans had been embroiled in a messy political battle between their governing body and players, meaning this team had to be rebranded as an invitational side to ensure the game went ahead. "
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... tch-report

Brilliant stuff indeed :lol:
Rugby league's international game is a joke and even more so because players are switching their national teams like their shoes.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

PreviousNext

Return to Other subjects