Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The Rugby League Thread

User avatar
Posts: 2227
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby iul » Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 22:37

Canadian_Rugger wrote:Rugby Union can be critical of Rugby League for many things but one thing it cannot be is critical of how Rugby League treats the Pacific Islands. Rugby League and the NRL is doing more for Pacific Island Rugby than World Rugby ever has.

Like what?

Posts: 856
Joined: Thu, 01 May 2014, 11:25
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 22:51

iul wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:Rugby Union can be critical of Rugby League for many things but one thing it cannot be is critical of how Rugby League treats the Pacific Islands. Rugby League and the NRL is doing more for Pacific Island Rugby than World Rugby ever has.

Like what?


Tonnes, funding rugby on the Pacific Islands. Including a team from PNG in the Queensland Cup, having a team from Fiji join the NSWRL in 2020. Actually playing tests against Fiji and Tonga regularly.

Armchair Fan wrote:Probably, but that responds to the different situation of both sports. Australia has a much bigger weight in league and therefore it can use for purposes beyond sport (soft power) whereas World Rugby needs to care about the interests of more nations. At the same time union has a much more credible international game and doesn't need to push forward two or three particular teams to strengthen it.

As things are right now union has much more to lose by putting even more effort on Pacific Islands than league may finally gain.


NRL is the dominant league in Oceania. You are absolutely correct but WR treats the Pacific Islands as its own personal rugby player farm.

User avatar
Posts: 2227
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby iul » Thu, 31 Oct 2019, 06:13

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
iul wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:Rugby Union can be critical of Rugby League for many things but one thing it cannot be is critical of how Rugby League treats the Pacific Islands. Rugby League and the NRL is doing more for Pacific Island Rugby than World Rugby ever has.

Like what?


Tonnes, funding rugby on the Pacific Islands. Including a team from PNG in the Queensland Cup, having a team from Fiji join the NSWRL in 2020. Actually playing tests against Fiji and Tonga regularly.

Armchair Fan wrote:Probably, but that responds to the different situation of both sports. Australia has a much bigger weight in league and therefore it can use for purposes beyond sport (soft power) whereas World Rugby needs to care about the interests of more nations. At the same time union has a much more credible international game and doesn't need to push forward two or three particular teams to strengthen it.

As things are right now union has much more to lose by putting even more effort on Pacific Islands than league may finally gain.


NRL is the dominant league in Oceania. You are absolutely correct but WR treats the Pacific Islands as its own personal rugby player farm.

Rugby union is funding the PIs far more than league. Fiji had a team in Australia's NRC until it got disbanded and now some of the PIs have teams in Rapid rugby or whatever they call it. The PIs also get quite a few matches vs T1s, mainly from the NH.

User avatar
Posts: 2952
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby 4N » Sat, 02 Nov 2019, 10:06

Tonga beat Australia! Incredible result.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12281863

Posts: 464
Joined: Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 02:19
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby Blurandski » Sat, 02 Nov 2019, 18:15

Really impressive result, it's rare for the B team to beat the A side of their own country.

User avatar
Posts: 2952
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby 4N » Sat, 02 Nov 2019, 20:31

At least one Aussie coach got the job done for his adopted country today.

User avatar
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat, 28 Sep 2019, 20:55
Location: Namek
National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sun, 03 Nov 2019, 22:31

Congrats to Tonga!

Posts: 3009
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 10:41

That's huge news:
Sonny Bill Wiliams has apparently signed with the Toronto Wolfpack for 10 Mio AUD for 2 years.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/sonny-bill ... e9ecdf34f2
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

User avatar
Posts: 2227
Joined: Tue, 15 Apr 2014, 18:36
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby iul » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 11:00

RugbyLiebe wrote:That's huge news:
Sonny Bill Wiliams has apparently signed with the Toronto Wolfpack for 10 Mio AUD for 2 years.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/sonny-bill ... e9ecdf34f2

That's more than the salary cap. Sounds like bullshit

Posts: 5546
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 11:29

Jesus effing christ, $5m a season? How's that even possible?

User avatar
Posts: 2952
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby 4N » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 13:23

He’s likely going to play for Samoa internationally too which is big for them.

Posts: 856
Joined: Thu, 01 May 2014, 11:25
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 15:20

iul wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:That's huge news:
Sonny Bill Wiliams has apparently signed with the Toronto Wolfpack for 10 Mio AUD for 2 years.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/sonny-bill ... e9ecdf34f2

That's more than the salary cap. Sounds like bullshit


Marquee player exemption, only counts as 300k against the salary cap.

thatrugbyguy wrote:Jesus effing christ, $5m a season? How's that even possible?


One word man - Toronto.

There is massive money here in sport. You're talking a city with sports franchises valued at well over $1 Billion dollars each. Argyle and company are cashed up huge.

Posts: 5546
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 06 Nov 2019, 23:58

I'm talking salary cap.

Posts: 856
Joined: Thu, 01 May 2014, 11:25
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 07 Nov 2019, 15:28

thatrugbyguy wrote:I'm talking salary cap.


Marquee Player exemption. Each SL club is allowed to sign up to two players for as much as they want and have it only count as £150k towards the £2.1 million salary cap.

Very few Super League clubs use it though because very few have any real money. I think only half the clubs use the Marquee player exemption and only like 8-9 spend to the Salary Cap.

User avatar
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat, 28 Sep 2019, 20:55
Location: Namek
National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sat, 09 Nov 2019, 02:38

RugbyLiebe wrote:That's huge news:
Sonny Bill Wiliams has apparently signed with the Toronto Wolfpack for 10 Mio AUD for 2 years.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/sonny-bill ... e9ecdf34f2


Oh wow this reminds me of when MLS used to rely on signing past-their-prime Euro stars to get butts in the seat.

IIRC Mirco Bergamasco of the Italian team switched codes during the RLWC.

Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
Location: Europe
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby Thomas » Sat, 09 Nov 2019, 08:05

I am not surprised, SBW started in League and after his move to Union he has played several times in League, switching codes. The only difference he is now cashing in.

User avatar
Posts: 2952
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby 4N » Sat, 16 Nov 2019, 13:27

Papua New Guinea 28 - 10 Great Britain :shock:

Posts: 856
Joined: Thu, 01 May 2014, 11:25
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 17 Nov 2019, 18:39

4N wrote:Papua New Guinea 28 - 10 Great Britain :shock:


League is at a totally different level down under. I wasn't surprised they lost to PNG, especially after losing to Tonga, NZ x2.

0-4 on the tour. They would do well to get some more foreign clubs and money in their supposed "Super League".

Posts: 464
Joined: Mon, 12 Mar 2018, 02:19
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby Blurandski » Sun, 17 Nov 2019, 20:40

Sums up the state of the game in England very well. Over the past 10-12 years Rugby's youth scouting and participation has improved substantially, leaving 'Super'League struggling for talent.

User avatar
Posts: 2952
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby 4N » Sun, 17 Nov 2019, 20:56

GB had more NRL players and PNG had a few guys from the English second division. Just a great second half performance and a terrible job by Wayne Bennett.

Any clubs in England or elsewhere that can attract better players to SL would obviously be good though.

Full match


Posts: 3009
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 18 Nov 2019, 08:07

4N wrote:Papua New Guinea 28 - 10 Great Britain :shock:


That's probably rugby league's biggest upset. What exactly happened? Are GB so bad or PNG so much improving?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

User avatar
Posts: 2952
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: The Rugby League Thread

Postby 4N » Mon, 18 Nov 2019, 12:42

Combination of factors including some selection issues for GB but PNG have improved with the launch of the Hunters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papua_New_Guinea_Hunters

Previous

Return to Other subjects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest