Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Winter Olympics

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Winter Olympics

Postby Canalina » Tue, 27 Feb 2018, 14:12

I've watched (tried to watch) very few hockey matches in my life and I always quitted after few minutes because in most of the actions I was just unable to see the little disk.
In basketball or rugby or soccer you could understand how an action is developing even if you don't see the ball; but in hockey not all the players take part to the action, it's so frenetic that some players skate in the opposite direction waiting for the immediate relaunch, some others do a pirouette trying to be in the right direction for the next action, some others fight with the sticks, so it was even difficult to guess in which part of the field the disk was. It's impossible to fall in love with javelin throw if you don't see the javelin.. Maybe I just had a too little tv screen : )

My favorite winter sport is alpine ski, but I appreciate a lot also the "fatigue sports" like cross country ski and biathlon

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 27 Feb 2018, 16:07

Hockey is the only sport i watch from Winter Olympics. I even attend a NHL derby Boston Bruins vs Montreal Canadians. And yes you don't see the puck on TV but attending the game live ...you don't see the puck at all :)).

Postby 4N » Tue, 27 Feb 2018, 16:19

Interestingly, the Romanian hockey team is nearly all ethnic Hungarians.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Tue, 27 Feb 2018, 16:51

Canalina wrote:I've watched (tried to watch) very few hockey matches in my life and I always quitted after few minutes because in most of the actions I was just unable to see the little disk.
In basketball or rugby or soccer you could understand how an action is developing even if you don't see the ball; but in hockey not all the players take part to the action, it's so frenetic that some players skate in the opposite direction waiting for the immediate relaunch, some others do a pirouette trying to be in the right direction for the next action, some others fight with the sticks, so it was even difficult to guess in which part of the field the disk was. It's impossible to fall in love with javelin throw if you don't see the javelin.. Maybe I just had a too little tv screen : )

My favorite winter sport is alpine ski, but I appreciate a lot also the "fatigue sports" like cross country ski and biathlon

I totally understand this and I think part of the problem with ice hockey is you need to know the positions of all the players and what their role is. Goaltender is easy enough but you also have Defencemen, Wingers and Centres.

The reason players are always pirouetting is so they can get themselves in to a better position to attack/defend with speed as speed is everything in hockey. You always want to take the puck at speed as this is what allows you to get up the ice. It also has to do with the lines on the ice, primary the bluelines as these are the offside lines.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 27 Feb 2018, 16:57

4N wrote:Interestingly, the Romanian hockey team is nearly all ethnic Hungarians.

Yes, is their sport.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Tue, 27 Feb 2018, 19:10

WADA deprives Russia of the right to host any international sports competitions

http://www.pravdareport.com/news/sports ... rt_wada-0/

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 28 Feb 2018, 13:28

Vova12 wrote:WADA deprives Russia of the right to host any international sports competitions

http://www.pravdareport.com/news/sports ... rt_wada-0/

I doubt that this report is true. This would mean that there will be no soccer world cup this year.
But this is Pravda. The next report is this bullshit story http://www.pravdareport.com/world/europ ... germany-0/
All while in germany about 2/3 of military material, like 26 out of 93 Tornado fighter jets are not ready to be used at all.
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inla ... 69572.html

Maybe it is just a hoax side you fell for.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 28 Feb 2018, 14:11

Canalina wrote:I've watched (tried to watch) very few hockey matches in my life and I always quitted after few minutes because in most of the actions I was just unable to see the little disk.

You need to watch it regularly to enter the game. The more you watch, the more you understand what is happening on the ice.

Canadian_Rugger : does the absence of NHL, and the "bad" result of national team make some noise in Canada ?

What you are saying about violence in ice hockey is similar to what we hear here about rugby. More player protection - which is fine -, but big loss about players fights, which make some people sad about modern rugby. They say the game has too change with professionalism.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 01 Mar 2018, 15:35

vino_93 wrote:Canadian_Rugger : does the absence of NHL, and the "bad" result of national team make some noise in Canada ?

What you are saying about violence in ice hockey is similar to what we hear here about rugby. More player protection - which is fine -, but big loss about players fights, which make some people sad about modern rugby. They say the game has too change with professionalism.

It made noise for about a day but the general consensus is the Men's Olympic Hockey Tournament is kind of a joke without NHL players. It will definitely be an issue for the NHL starting next year though when they have to enter negotiations with the Players Union for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement and I can see the players threatening strike action over not being allowed to play.

The reality is the Canadian and United States national teams that played in this tournament wouldn't even be considered the the sixth or seventh string, they are more like 22nd string. With the exclusion of the NHL here are the players that were missing:

Canada: 424 players
United States: 248 players

This number also isn't including American Hockey League (AHL) players that are on two way contracts as they were also not allowed to play. All total, Canada probably had 600+ hockey players excluded from Olympic Selection. Imagine if France were trying to pick a team for the Rugby World Cup but weren't allowed to pick any players in the Top 14, ProD2 and could only pick a limited amount of players in Fédérale Elite, how would the tournament be received in France?

The lack of NHLers also hurt Sweden, Finland and the Czech Republic and Switzerland and Slovakia to a lesser extent. Russia benefited the most as they have the only league that pays remotely comparable wages to the NHL and thus are able to hold on to some of their homegrown talent.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Thu, 01 Mar 2018, 17:32

RugbyLiebe wrote:
I doubt that this report is true. This would mean that there will be no soccer world cup this year.
But this is Pravda. The next report is this bullshit story http://www.pravdareport.com/world/europ ... germany-0/
All while in germany about 2/3 of military material, like 26 out of 93 Tornado fighter jets are not ready to be used at all.
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inla ... 69572.html

Maybe it is just a hoax side you fell for.

competitions that have already been agreed will be held.

WADA does not recomend new competitions. Prohibit WADA can not.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Fri, 02 Mar 2018, 07:18

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
vino_93 wrote:Canadian_Rugger : does the absence of NHL, and the "bad" result of national team make some noise in Canada ?

It made noise for about a day but the general consensus is the Men's Olympic Hockey Tournament is kind of a joke without NHL players. It will definitely be an issue for the NHL starting next year though when they have to enter negotiations with the Players Union for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement and I can see the players threatening strike action over not being allowed to play.

The reality is the Canadian and United States national teams that played in this tournament wouldn't even be considered the the sixth or seventh string, they are more like 22nd string. With the exclusion of the NHL here are the players that were missing:

This number also isn't including American Hockey League (AHL) players that are on two way contracts as they were also not allowed to play. All total, Canada probably had 600+ hockey players excluded from Olympic Selection. Imagine if France were trying to pick a team for the Rugby World Cup but weren't allowed to pick any players in the Top 14, ProD2 and could only pick a limited amount of players in Fédérale Elite, how would the tournament be received in France?

The lack of NHLers also hurt Sweden, Finland and the Czech Republic and Switzerland and Slovakia to a lesser extent. Russia benefited the most as they have the only league that pays remotely comparable wages to the NHL and thus are able to hold on to some of their homegrown talent.

I guess the situation isn't exactly the same than rugby, as there are many pro leagues outside NHL. Your guys play in the best european clubs. Of course, lower level... But in rugby, outside Top 14 and Pro D2, there are almost no pro french players.

If that happen, I guess if course people will have less interest for the tournament. But LNR would probably lost its business. Such a bullshit ... I guess it would turn off of rugby many fans.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Fri, 02 Mar 2018, 14:34

vino_93 wrote:
Canadian_Rugger wrote:

I guess the situation isn't exactly the same than rugby, as there are many pro leagues outside NHL. Your guys play in the best european clubs. Of course, lower level... But in rugby, outside Top 14 and Pro D2, there are almost no pro french players.

If that happen, I guess if course people will have less interest for the tournament. But LNR would probably lost its business. Such a bullshit ... I guess it would turn off of rugby many fans.

Yes, I think a big difference is the NHL is like the Top 14 on steroids, everyone always complains about Top 14 clubs poaching other countries talent and caring more about club than international. The NHL is the exact same and even worse. The money on offer in the NHL and the financial wealth of the hockey clubs make it that the League can essentially do whatever they want and nobody can stop them. North American Hockey Fans, especially Canadians are completely Club first Country second.

You only need to look at team budgets of respective leagues:

The last list I looked at was from 2012 (in Euros) but it gives you a pretty good idea:

NHL:

Highest: €142,1 million
Lowest: €47,8 million
Average: €74,1 million

KHL:

Highest: €52,2 million
Lowest: €10,4 million
Average: €23,6 million

Swiss National League:

Highest: €28,9 million
Lowest: €7,4 million
Average: €12,3 million

Swedish Eliteserien:

Highest: €12,5 million
Lowest: €4,6 million
Average: €6,9 million

Finnish Liiga:

Highest: €7,7 million
Lowest: €3,5 million
Average: €5,7 million

German DEL:

Highest: €7,5 million
Lowest: €3,5 million
Average: €5,3 million

Czech Extraliga:

Highest: €6,4 million
Lowest: €2,2 million
Average: €4 million

Erste Hockeyliga (Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Italy, Slovenia)

Highest: €7 million
Lowest: €1 million
Average: €2,95 million

Slovak Extraliga:

Highest: €4 million
Lowest: €920 000
Average: €1,62 million

Source: http://forums.internationalhockey.net/showthread.php?11337-Team-budgets-around-the-world!

You can get paid a good salary in European Pro Hockey and the big teams over there are usually able to secure 1 or 2 marquee players who get paid NHL level money, but outside of a few teams in the KHL, the NHL is able to attract all the best talent from Canada and the USA.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Fri, 02 Mar 2018, 20:27

Yes of course, I don't deny it. But for me, I would compare it to NBA. If NBA does the same, USA would still have one of the best team at olympics - and many other nations would suffer losses, but can rely on euro players.
Whereas outside Top 14 and Pro D2, France would be nowehere, as it exists 3 comparable leagues in the World.

And I would say NHL is able to attract all the best talent of the world, not only NA :)

Anyway, very surprise to see Swiss as high. I thought they were at the same than sweden or Germany...

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 01 Apr 2018, 08:43

Countries that won medals at Paralympic 2018.

http://www.korea2018.snowrock.ru/%D0%9C ... 0%B5%D1%82

The unsuccesful performance of Norway - 14th place.
All strongest Paralympic competed in the main Olympics ... :lol:

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Wed, 25 Apr 2018, 04:49

CAS announced Gregory Rodchenkov"s testimony as unfounded and unproven

http://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_u ... ternet.pdf

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Fri, 27 Apr 2018, 05:04

ARBITRAL AWARD
delivered by the
COURT OF ARBITRATION FOR SPORT

606. At the conclusion of the hearing, the Sochi Appellants submitted that the IOC had failed
to discharge the burden of proving that each individual athlete had committed an ADRV.
The Athlete’s closing submissions may be summarised as follows.
607. Dr. Rodchenkov, the IOC’s “crown witness”, had admitted that: (a) he had never seen
an athlete take the Duchess Cocktail; (b) he had never seen an athlete give a clean urine
sample; (c) he had never seen an athlete tamper with his or her sample; and (d) he had
no evidence that any athlete had sent their DCFs to Ms. Rodionova.
608. Prof. McLaren had also acknowledged that he had never seen any evidence that any of
the Sochi Appellants had taken the Duchess Cocktail or otherwise personally breached
CAS 2017/A/5379 Alexander Legkov v.
International Olympic Committee (IOC) – Page 117
doping procedures. Prof. McLaren also acknowledged that he had not been asked, nor
had he attempted, to determine whether any of the Sochi Appellants had committed an
ADRV.
609. Furthermore, Prof. McLaren had not spoken to any of the athletes, or other persons who
were allegedly key to the doping scheme, in particular Mr. Kudryavtsev and Mr.
Chizhov. Nor had he: (a) verified the authenticity of Dr. Rodchenkov’s diary entries;
(b) verified whether the washout periods described by Dr. Rodchenkov were true; (c)
attempted to obtain telecommunications data which would have permitted him to verify
whether Dr. Rodchenkov had received the messages he claimed to have received; or (d)
attempted to obtain the video surveillance footage from the Sochi Laboratory.
610. The IOC and the IOC DC had relied blindly on Dr. Rodchenkov’s allegations and the
McLaren Report, as if the McLaren Report was a proven fact. ...

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 06:24

My conscienc is clear, i have always called them lying bastards.

But athletes from Russia did not go to Olympics in Rio and Pyeongchang.

Who will answer for this?

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 15:30

It was obvious at the very beginning. There is a cold war against Russia. Killing / poisoning Litvinenko, Berezovsky and Skripal in Londongrad, gay company before the Olympics in Sochi, Maidan in Kiev during the Olympics, Nazis attack on Russians in the Donbass, shooting down the Boeing .... These are all links of the same chain. We all know perfectly well that the main customer and organizer of the Anglo-Saxons.
But another question is why our officials (Mutko and Zhukov) went against the will of the people (80% were against) and sent a team under the white flag to Korea. And they paid $ 15 million for alleged violations. And all the federal media were made from a neutral team of Russian patriots! Why? The answer is simple. Anglo-Saxons know that most of our officials have accounts, families and real estate in the West. So they tell them "confess that you did not commit" to show loyalty. And our officials told the West KOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0xy6wEUbKk
And the hymn of Russia during hockey under the white flag is a very bad sign for Russia. It means that officials are ready to surrender Russia's interests to the West. But these assholes forget that there is Putin, he has a huge support of the people. We will replace this pro-Western treacherous elite. Strangely enough, but we will be helped by Trump, May and other Western leaders.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 15:40

And as for the hockey team. They are shameful people, they sold to Russia for beads like Indians sold the whole continent to Anglo-Saxons. Kovalchuk and co - assholes!
But the rugby team showed real patreotism! Contrast. Millionaire-hockey players part of the elite betrayed Russia, and ordinary mans rugby players defended the honor of Russia!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcQZh8SQSzY&t=51s

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Wed, 02 May 2018, 07:55

The funny thing is that i used to think that "Western values" really exist!
That freedom of speech, independent court - exist in realiti!
I was young and stupid ...

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Wed, 02 May 2018, 09:31

We were simply deceived in the 90s to destroy Russia as a rival. And in fact, in Russia there are much more freedom than in the West. There everything is under strict control. And our police in comparison with the western are "guys from the neighboring yard."

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 02 May 2018, 11:18

the greatest trick the west did was to convince their own people they are free. meanwhile they arrest people for jokes, opposing the Islamic colonization of their lands and dare to speak ill of degenerates.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Wed, 02 May 2018, 12:32

iul wrote:the greatest trick the west did was to convince their own people they are free. meanwhile they arrest people for jokes, opposing the Islamic colonization of their lands and dare to speak ill of degenerates.

You are also the weapon of the West!
You got me once banned on this forum! :lol:

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 04 May 2018, 08:43

Vova12 wrote:
iul wrote:the greatest trick the west did was to convince their own people they are free. meanwhile they arrest people for jokes, opposing the Islamic colonization of their lands and dare to speak ill of degenerates.

You are also the weapon of the West!
You got me once banned on this forum! :lol:

Stop talking you two Russian bots. :lol:

"you got me once banned" might be a little understatement, right :D
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Fri, 04 May 2018, 18:15

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Stop talking you two Russian bots. :lol:

"you got me once banned" might be a little understatement, right :D

Previous

Return to Other subjects