Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Posts: 193
Joined: Sun, 21 May 2017, 09:02
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby rey200 » Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 13:00

jservuk wrote:Finally, a great final (best since 1986), to cap a great tournament - best since 2002.

They (FIFA/Putin) got this one right at every level.

I have to say I liked the fact that VAR added to the controversy in some ways, which is what I like. I don't mind the odd bad decisions wrecking a game as that's human, and sport is human endeavour and should reflect all our flaws and triumphs. People that whinge about needing more technology in sports to solve "problems" (a) do not understand technology and (b) do not understand that our flaws are as much a part of being human.

Russia 2018 also exposed the poisonous British press for what it is - the media was FULL of negative stories about Russians. The British press/media really is toxic and manipulative, and sets the agenda, tone, and parameters of all political discourse in the UK. They are judge jury and executioner here, and I celebrate each and every time they are exposed or defeated in the objectoves.

Just watch what a field day they will have with Qatar. I am not a fan of Qatar getting the WC. If it was the Middle Easts turn then there are some much much more deserving ones like Egypt, Iran, Turkey who have big football traditions. Qatar bought the WC, and have imposed a sacrilegious break of tradition into the global football calendar. This puts me in a quandary. On the one hand I want the treatment the British media will meet out to Qatar to be met with runaway, best ever successful tournament, but given what the Qataris have done to football I want 2022 to fall apart (in a non-life threatening way of course).



2002 was a disgrace and by far the worst World Cup in football history :?

edit: I mean by overall quality. Jeez Germany was so bad and still went to the final, Korea "won" against Spain and Italy in ridiculous circumstances etc etc.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

Posts: 965
Joined: Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 09:56
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby Bogdan_DC » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 08:15

rey200 wrote:
jservuk wrote:Finally, a great final (best since 1986), to cap a great tournament - best since 2002.

They (FIFA/Putin) got this one right at every level.

I have to say I liked the fact that VAR added to the controversy in some ways, which is what I like. I don't mind the odd bad decisions wrecking a game as that's human, and sport is human endeavour and should reflect all our flaws and triumphs. People that whinge about needing more technology in sports to solve "problems" (a) do not understand technology and (b) do not understand that our flaws are as much a part of being human.

Russia 2018 also exposed the poisonous British press for what it is - the media was FULL of negative stories about Russians. The British press/media really is toxic and manipulative, and sets the agenda, tone, and parameters of all political discourse in the UK. They are judge jury and executioner here, and I celebrate each and every time they are exposed or defeated in the objectoves.

Just watch what a field day they will have with Qatar. I am not a fan of Qatar getting the WC. If it was the Middle Easts turn then there are some much much more deserving ones like Egypt, Iran, Turkey who have big football traditions. Qatar bought the WC, and have imposed a sacrilegious break of tradition into the global football calendar. This puts me in a quandary. On the one hand I want the treatment the British media will meet out to Qatar to be met with runaway, best ever successful tournament, but given what the Qataris have done to football I want 2022 to fall apart (in a non-life threatening way of course).



2002 was a disgrace and by far the worst World Cup in football history :?

edit: I mean by overall quality. Jeez Germany was so bad and still went to the final, Korea "won" against Spain and Italy in ridiculous circumstances etc etc.


Agree, 2002 was a total mess.

User avatar
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Moscow
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby Vova12 » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 16:09

Bogdan_DC wrote:
Agree, 2002 was a total mess.

Do you remember what was going on at Olympics in Seoul 1988?
The referes frankli helped Koreans!
They robed even Great Roy Jones!
Korea took 4place in overall medal standings!

Image

User avatar
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Moscow
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby Vova12 » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 16:13

Soviet and Hungarian referes gave victory to Jones, t other three were corrupt and gave victory to Korean.
Image

User avatar
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Moscow
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby Vova12 » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 16:14

IOC President Thomas Bach. :lol:

Image

What did you expect to see in Russia, Thomas?
Image

Posts: 263
Joined: Sun, 31 Aug 2014, 11:36
National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby jservuk » Tue, 17 Jul 2018, 21:21

rey200 wrote:
jservuk wrote:Finally, a great final (best since 1986), to cap a great tournament - best since 2002.




2002 was a disgrace and by far the worst World Cup in football history :?

edit: I mean by overall quality. Jeez Germany was so bad and still went to the final, Korea "won" against Spain and Italy in ridiculous circumstances etc etc.


2002 WAS great . South Korea & Turkey in the semis. Surprise results. Bad refereeing decisions - nothing adds to the drama quite like the sense of injustice that ensues when a bad decision is given. Comedy Brazil with Fat Ronaldo's Crescent moon haircut and Rivaldo's best worst dive ever. South Korea's games were immense. The emergence of Torres for Spain, and Recoba for Uruguay, the demise of France. The only thing that I didn't like was the time zone meaning games were shown in UK at 7am, 10am and 1pm, which left the evenings bereft of fresh football action. The first EVER competitive game between Brazil and Germany.

Not as good as 2018, but then 2018 was something else entirely.

The worst World Cup I've witnessed was 1990, and then 2010.

Posts: 965
Joined: Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 09:56
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 06:29

Vova12 wrote:
Bogdan_DC wrote:
Agree, 2002 was a total mess.

Do you remember what was going on at Olympics in Seoul 1988?
The referes frankli helped Koreans!
They robed even Great Roy Jones!
Korea took 4place in overall medal standings!



Man refs in Boxing are usually a total joke. So much injustice like in boxing is very hard to see in any other sport :). And the big boss in amateur boxing was for years a North Korean :))).

Posts: 2337
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 07:01

jservuk wrote:
The worst World Cup I've witnessed was 1990, and then 2010.


That was the best one. It gave birth to Gary Lineker's bonmot of "football is a game of 90 minutes and in the end the Germans win".
2002 was indeed bad, unbelievable that a German team with only 3 good players (Kahn, Ballack, Klose) made the final.

The final 2018 showed my why I don't watch soccer regularly anymore. A a man without honour like Griezman who falls down on purpose and gets his free kick, which leads to a goal and than ridicules the other team with a dance (yeah I know it is from a video game, but a) he's too stupid to realize what it means or b) he's a a**hole).

Then the kindergarten behaviour of players pretending to be injured. And the "surprised" faces when they pretend they haven't realized that they will be substituted, where everyone knows that they are just pretending, because most of them look so incredibly stupid that they even can't act that.

Nah, watching soccer just makes me angry nowadays.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 263
Joined: Sun, 31 Aug 2014, 11:36
National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby jservuk » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 08:23

RugbyLiebe wrote:
jservuk wrote:
The worst World Cup I've witnessed was 1990, and then 2010.


That was the best one. It gave birth to Gary Lineker's bonmot of "football is a game of 90 minutes and in the end the Germans win".
2002 was indeed bad, unbelievable that a German team with only 3 good players (Kahn, Ballack, Klose) made the final.

The final 2018 showed my why I don't watch soccer regularly anymore. A a man without honour like Griezman who falls down on purpose and gets his free kick, which leads to a goal and than ridicules the other team with a dance (yeah I know it is from a video game, but a) he's too stupid to realize what it means or b) he's a a**hole).

Then the kindergarten behaviour of players pretending to be injured. And the "surprised" faces when they pretend they haven't realized that they will be substituted, where everyone knows that they are just pretending, because most of them look so incredibly stupid that they even can't act that.

Nah, watching soccer just makes me angry nowadays.


I think there are three sides to the diving. Firstly, we've seen that when players try to stay up even when obviously fouled they seldom get a deserved free kick/penalty awarded, so we have the case of making sure the referee sees it as a foul. The second aspect is when a team is on the back foot and is unable to play its way out of the pressure from the attacking team. Players will go down to disrupt the rhythm of the team on top, to give their team a breather, to get the other team frustrated. I think both these are understood by most football followers as an inevitable part of the game. The third kind is the one where it's just plain cheating to try and get a penalty etc. Not nice to watch, frankly embarrassing, and it's funny how even ex-players known for this criticise it. I don't know how true this is, or if it's a typical British media stereotyping, but I've it said that fans in Latin America actually like this, seeing it as cunning rather than conning.

It was interesting to hear Jurgen Klinsmann on BBC when covering a match where there was diving. Klinsmann was the world champion at theatrical dives (1990 WCF being his best). He's a very intelligent guy, that's obvious. He covered the game in which Neymar rolled on the touchline. The other pundits were predictably appalled at Neymar, Jurgen though commented on the treatment meted out to Neymar that went unpunished throughout the game, and that sometimes a striker resorts to this to get balance. I remembered a bad tempered encounter between Klinsmann and Costcurta in the 90s, culminating in Klinsmann diving to get Costacurta sent-off, who then missed the UCL final. So, there is a 4th aspect to diving as well.

I can well understand why people don't like this about football though.

Posts: 2337
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 08:57

Soccer was absolutely my sport. I played through all youth grades and then was even lucky enough to get a part-time job as a sports-journalist covering soccer games during school and then continued while in uni. Rugby killed it for me, as it showed to me that the parts I always hated could easily be eliminated.
Talking to the ref? Only the captain, if not penalty or yellow card.
That alone would make a massive change. I hate those "community theatre performances" so much.

Interesting perspective about Klinsmann's reasoning for dives, but nowadays I don't think that defenders make that many little foulplays as in the age before 20 cameras. I don't believe in the romantic thinking that diving is just a way to penalize a thug. The diving player in our times is simply a cheater.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 965
Joined: Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 09:56
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 11:00

RugbyLiebe wrote:Soccer was absolutely my sport. I played through all youth grades and then was even lucky enough to get a part-time job as a sports-journalist covering soccer games during school and then continued while in uni. Rugby killed it for me, as it showed to me that the parts I always hated could easily be eliminated.
Talking to the ref? Only the captain, if not penalty or yellow card.
That alone would make a massive change. I hate those "community theatre performances" so much.

10 m rule also will make a huge difference in football.

User avatar
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Moscow
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby Vova12 » Wed, 18 Jul 2018, 17:34

Bogdan_DC wrote:Man refs in Boxing are usually a total joke. So much injustice like in boxing is very hard to see in any other sport :). And the big boss in amateur boxing was for years a North Korean :))).

In Seoul in boxing, free style and classical wrestling there was an judging in favor of Korea. They "won" a huge number of medals in these competitions.
Image

User avatar
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon, 21 Sep 2015, 15:38
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby Bolaroid » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 15:27

Vova12 wrote:
Bogdan_DC wrote:Man refs in Boxing are usually a total joke. So much injustice like in boxing is very hard to see in any other sport :). And the big boss in amateur boxing was for years a North Korean :))).

In Seoul in boxing, free style and classical wrestling there was an judging in favor of Korea. They "won" a huge number of medals in these competitions.

Did you see that Ukrainian Usyk from Crimea boxing in Moscow on Saturday night? :)

User avatar
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Moscow
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby Vova12 » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 17:59

Bolaroid wrote:Did you see that Ukrainian Usyk from Crimea boxing in Moscow on Saturday night? :)

No i was sleeping.
I not surprised, Usik is a boxer and Gassiev is a bouncer.
Image

User avatar
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Moscow
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby Vova12 » Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 14:42

This is normal?!?!?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/foo ... s-13104366

Between games interval is a week and Ufa can not get a British visa in anyway!
I would not be surprised if UEFA will disqualify .... Ufa! :lol:
Image

User avatar
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Moscow
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby Vova12 » Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 17:40

I think i understod how Russia will be able to defeat Georgia in rugby!
We will not give them a visa!
Image

User avatar
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Moscow
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby Vova12 » Mon, 20 Aug 2018, 18:45

The US won World Wrestling Championship without giving visas to athlets from Russia and Iran!

Damn it Russia could win World Cup this year!
We missed this chance! :twisted:
Image

Posts: 329
Joined: Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 17:11
Location: Boa Vista, Roraima (Amazon)
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby SallesNeto_BR » Tue, 16 Oct 2018, 06:11

Oh, fuck. I almost never visit this part of the forum. Vova12 did this thread answering to a question asked from me, and I'm reading it only 3 months after the World Cup lol. I hadn't noticed its existence.


Sorry, man. And thank you so much. Anyway, it'll be useful for me soon. I reeeealy enjoyed your country and intent to go back next year (Brazilians have free visa in Russia). It was such a great atmosphere and experience. Russia is kinda different of what we use to think about. And Russian girls are exactly what we use to think...

User avatar
Posts: 2157
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Moscow
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby Vova12 » Tue, 16 Oct 2018, 14:13

SallesNeto_BR wrote:Oh, fuck. I almost never visit this part of the forum. Vova12 did this thread answering to a question asked from me, and I'm reading it only 3 months after the World Cup lol. I hadn't noticed its existence.


Sorry, man. And thank you so much. Anyway, it'll be useful for me soon. I reeeealy enjoyed your country and intent to go back next year (Brazilians have free visa in Russia). It was such a great atmosphere and experience. Russia is kinda different of what we use to think about. And Russian girls are exactly what we use to think...

You lost a lot! ̶ ̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶e̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶u̶m̶!̶
Come we always welcome guests.
Image

Previous

Return to Other subjects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests