Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Guide to the World Cup in Russia

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Re: Guide to the World Cup in Russia

Postby jservuk » Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 16:42

Bogdan_DC wrote:Romania is doing quite well also at World Cup. We didn't concede a single goal since 1998 edition.

Romania had a very good team in 90s, with Haji, and played one of the best games ever 3-2 vs Argentina in 94.

Rugby was doing OK at the same time as well. Now, both have declined.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Wed, 27 Jun 2018, 17:30

Have to say, regarding Germany, I always wanted to see a last minute goalkeeper going up for attack type mishap. Seen loads of times when forwards get this chance but nearly all of them panic at seeing an open goal so far out and mess it up.

That it should happen to Germany .... in a World Cup ...... against a minnow ... resulting in super power exit .... Football, eh?

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Fri, 29 Jun 2018, 04:44

Dutch Guus Hiddink at training of Russian national team.
In 2008 under his leadership Russia won bronze at EC .
The translator is Russian coach Stanislav Cherchesov.

https://twitter.com/TeamRussia/status/1 ... 9454186496

:lol:

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Fri, 29 Jun 2018, 09:19

Vova, I really enjoyed my time in Russia, and I'll try to be back as soon as I can.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Fri, 29 Jun 2018, 17:38

qwerty wrote:Vova, I really enjoyed my time in Russia, and I'll try to be back as soon as I can.

Just do not arrive in the winter, bro! :D

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Fri, 29 Jun 2018, 22:36

The Russian summer is hotter than the Uruguayan one, I'd rather the winter to be honest!

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 07:49

qwerty wrote:The Russian summer is hotter than the Uruguayan one, I'd rather the winter to be honest!

Last year in Moscow it was a cold summer.
In June + 9 + 24, in July + 12 + 24.
It"s not always the same.
For me comfortabl +15 .
I love spring and autumn.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 09:09

Yours have to be more carefule in Russia. We are very angry and agressiv.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 13:54

Russia is one of the most dangerous countries in the world!
154 place out of 163!

http://visionofhumanity.org/app/uploads ... 2018-2.pdf

Between Sudan and Central African Republic! :twisted:

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 20:54

Tomorrow Russia will seek revenge for that try against Spain!

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 01 Jul 2018, 09:38

qwerty wrote:Tomorrow Russia will seek revenge for that try against Spain!

I hope Russia will win. It will be difficult to do because Russia is 70th in FIFA ranking )))

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 01 Jul 2018, 09:41

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 01 Jul 2018, 16:52

The full advantag of Spain but Russia is in the quarterfinal.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Bolaroid » Sun, 01 Jul 2018, 17:10

Well done to Russia, good to see the host nation progress to the Quarter final. :thumbup:

Spain has had enough football glory in recent times.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Sun, 01 Jul 2018, 18:49

Bolaroid wrote:Well done to Russia, good to see the host nation progress to the Quarter final. :thumbup:

I also like to see the glory spread about, hence why I am delighted to see the big teams falling, and hope to see as many new faces in the later rounds as possible. I would like to see Mexico beat Brazil to really open it up, with a Croatia/Belgium final. I would like to see japan progress but that is unlikely against Belgium.

This game was interesting as a triumph of discipline, organisation and spirit over skill, precision and doctrine. I think the Spain teams pre 2008 played with more verve and excitement, but without success. Tiki-taka as a doctrine and method works for them but is not that great to watch when against a side that tries to absorb the pressure.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 01 Jul 2018, 19:03

Bolaroid wrote:Well done to Russia, good to see the host nation progress to the Quarter final. :thumbup:

Thanks bro !
But ithink that in quarterfinal luck will not be on our side ...
All Russia drinks now.
Including me .

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 01 Jul 2018, 19:28

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Sun, 01 Jul 2018, 21:25

Congrats Vova on the win. Good to see the hosts stay in the competition.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 01 Jul 2018, 21:36

Congrats, although with some Russians at home we celebrated anyway just to bother the neighbourhood...

jservuk wrote:This game was interesting as a triumph of discipline, organisation and spirit over skill, precision and doctrine. I think the Spain teams pre 2008 played with more verve and excitement, but without success. Tiki-taka as a doctrine and method works for them but is not that great to watch when against a side that tries to absorb the pressure.

You shouldn't read too much on this game or tournament for Spain. Even if I don't like football I follow sports in general enough to imagine it isn't a good idea to fire your coach two days before the biggest date of a cycle. What the hell, when years go by it will be remembered as a top self-sabotaging moment in world sports.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 12:21

The best thing is it was part of some personal bs stuff between the federation president and Perez of Madrid, right?
But the coach isn't the only problem. If you pass 1100 times (not inventing these numbers) and still are dangerous like a mouse to an elephant, than you just don't deserve to reach the next stage. Spain played cowardly and showed nothing, Russia didn't even try to play.
That's why I like rugby more and more. Such a waste of time won't happen.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 18:13

rey200 wrote:The best thing is it was part of some personal bs stuff between the federation president and Perez of Madrid, right?
But the coach isn't the only problem. If you pass 1100 times (not inventing these numbers) and still are dangerous like a mouse to an elephant, than you just don't deserve to reach the next stage. Spain played cowardly and showed nothing, Russia didn't even try to play.
That's why I like rugby more and more. Such a waste of time won't happen.

As it is often the case with Spain and Spanish sports, it isn't that easy or straight-forward, so I may risk giving you an answer way too long and boring... But here we go.

I don't like football and I hate Real Madrid. Probably for the same reasons. They are overexposed in media and I've always felt bullied by their fans for not being like them. Yet I'm able to enjoy one of their games and I think I can give you a reasonable depiction of the situation.

As the most decorated club in the history of this sport, Real Madrid has a lot of haters and is the target of a number of claims. I'm sorry to say it's bullshit to say it's the government's team, for example. It has been exposed to Spanish politics just like any other successful team or athlete. It's not being favored because government wants to, but rather the other way round: politicians have tried to be close to the team because they knew they could exerce their power from Bernabéu's grandstands. Media are also aware of the attraction that Real Madrid generates and know that in the same way drama surrounds the team, audience will increase.

Newspapers, radio stations, TV shows... are always more comfortable when the team is in crisis than when it wins. And Florentino Pérez has been particularly successful, so he has earned quite a few enemies who add to the tally he already had for being a public works businessman in a country surrounded by corruption. Hey, I don't claim he's a saint. But most of the criticism he gets has nothing to do with his work at Real Madrid, since it's blatantly obvious how he managed to transform that club from a 20th century institution to 21st century international trademark. The only truth is Real Madrid was failing badly from a financial POV when he came onboard and risked lagging behind Premiership or Serie A clubs. Sure, they had won 1998 Champions League, but it wasn't professional. Marketing wise it was miles behind top internaional clubs. Now it leads the way, like it or not. And as much as I dislike what they embody, he did a top-notch work.

It's a custom of Spanish newspapers to give gifts to its readers after cumulating a certain amount of tokens. And among the most precious ones there are officially licensed products from Real Madrid or FC Barcelona. Well, Pérez decided some time ago to stop granting these licences to media spreading fake news or attacking him directly. He even created a TV show in Real Madrid TV only to slap media every day (90 Minuti). So there are a certain number of journalists who would accuse him even for JFK assassination. At the same time, he has built a praetorian guard with some journalists who just write what he wants. But hell, that happens everywhere.

When Real Madrid lost its coach due to Zidane's resignation, they tried to sign several men and only Julen Lopetegui accepted. Real Madrid couldn't afford neither to leave rumours spread during the World Cup, since it would be accused of destabilizing the national team, nor announce its signing after a Spanish failure at the World Cup. So they decided to disclose it right before the tournament. And the shitstorm happened.

All those hating Real Madrid and Florentino Pérez began to attack them for being 'disloyal' to Spanish Football Federation. And since this institution had a brand new president (previous one went out for corruption after 30 years) who loves media, journalists pushed him to show 'his cojones' and fire Lopetegui. And he did. Yeah, Lopetegui had just inked a deal in May to keep managing Spain until 2020 or 2022. But Real Madrid was willing to pay 3 M€ to release him for this contract. It was good money. Yet Rubiales felt cheated and thought it was the perfect time to show how strong he was, applauded by all those journalists who hate Real Madrid.

Players didn't want to change the coach two days before starting the tournament. Some even were vocal about it and paid the toll without playing a single minute in Russia. To prevent a boycott, Rubiales put Fernando Hierro in charge, because he was on good terms with players as a staff member, even though his managerial career is a fucking mess. And scared of being accused of any mistake, he just didn't make the changes he needed during the tournament. Just the very same thing Lopetegui had managed to do during the past two years, probably making the most of his balance, since he was both a Real Madrid and FC Barcelona low profile player. He left Iker Casillas behind, he left David Villa but recalled him when needed, he played a more direct attacking style sometimes... You may feel Spain was going to play the same way, but at least one guy knew his team, his squad and what changes could be done. He reached the World Cup unbeaten, often turning games around in the dying minutes. The replacement was clueless.

Hats off to Russia, I really thought they had their chance and I was telling my family during the whole game to be quiet since they were going to win this one, but Spain threw the tournament for a stupid old-fashioned sense of honor mixed with hate from some people towards Real Madrid. The uncomfortable truth is that if Lopetegui had signed with FC Barcelona not even 10% of the people would have complained.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Mon, 02 Jul 2018, 22:40

Japan were fabulous today. They were far, far more than plucky outsiders clinging on, they looked accomplished and comfortable.

I was so disappointed they lost but what a way to go down.

On the BBC coverage they had Jurgen Klinnsman as one of the guest pundits, and he explained how in Japan they established football by converting thousands of TENNIS courts into mini football pitches with the aim of developing highly technical players to fit into the sort of style the Japanese wanted to develop, which was a positive style. The way they played this World Cup you could see the fruits of that policy.

I have no doubt that they will have a similar program for developing Rugby talent, so look forward to what they do next year at home in RWC.

I hope the Japan RWC team can at least get out of the group.

Japan also I think have the best anthem at the World Cup.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 10:37

Spanish sport in general seems to be full of drama.

In my case I just follow international football. Do you, Armchair Fan?
Last edited by qwerty on Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 10:39

I'm afraid Uruguay won't get any further in this tournament. Cavani is not playing against France.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 03 Jul 2018, 12:47

qwerty wrote:Spanish sport in general seems to be full of drama.

In my case I just follow international football. Do you, Armchair Fan?
I follow almost any sport, I just do with varying degrees. In case of football I watch FTA TV games and I listen to radio everytime I can. You won't find me looking for streams but I'll attend my local club game if have the time to do so and during 2015 RWC I didn't let the chance escape to watch Tottenham v City at White Hart Lane right before England v Wales at Twickenham. In Russia I've attended hockey games, I go to basketball, motor racing, even ski jumping...

PreviousNext

Return to Other subjects