Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

What's the most remote place you've ever visited/lived in?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

What's the most remote place you've ever visited/lived in?

Postby iul » Fri, 30 May 2014, 19:49

I can't say I've visited any remote areas. Whenever I go on vacation I stick to cities or resorts. What about you? Have any of you got stories about going to the South Pole, etc.. ? :)

National Flag:
SamoaSamoa

Re: What's the most remote place you've ever visited/lived i

Postby Suavai » Sat, 31 May 2014, 01:28

some south pacific Islands that hardly see a ship in months.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sat, 31 May 2014, 04:45

The Pungwe Valley in the Eastern Highlands of Zimbabwe, under the Pungwe Falls. Peaceful, wild and humbling.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Sat, 31 May 2014, 07:07

I hike often in the Romanian Carpathians and have seen many remote and beautiful places. Here are some of the most isolated ones:

1. The tiny village of Inelet in the Cernei Mountains (Caras-Severin County) consists of just a few houses spead on the top of a mountain and a small church. They don't even have electricity and you can only get to the village using some old wooden stairs built on a steep escarpment.

The stairs

A view from the Arjana Peak above Inelet

2. In the Capatanii Mountains (Valcea County), there is a remote area with a fitting name: Curul Pamantului (The Ass of the Earth). It's s maze of forested mountains and deep gorges where the (very rare) hikers always have severe orientation problems. Some of the most fanatic Orthodox monks have built their refuges in this area to live in complete isolation from the outside world, often suspended on top of the abyss. I was shocked when I first saw their buildings, I did not know something like that existed in Romania.

3. In the Buzau Mountains (Buzau County) there is an isolated area with the ruins of old monasteries and cells carved in rock by the first Christians who have seeked refuge in the area in the early Dark Ages. They are spread on a vast area of forested small mountains and hard to find, it's the only place where I had to hire a local guide to find what I was looking for.

4. This area of the Retezat Mountains (Hunedoara County) is a strict nature reservation (Rezervatia Gemenele). It is guarded by rangers and the only way to get in is to have a written permit from the Romanian Academy of Sciences (who only issue them for scientific purposes). When I was in high school, I went there on a trip to repaint the warning signs on the limits of the reservation, we were allowed brief entries into this forbidden area.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sat, 31 May 2014, 09:19

Wow, there are some awesome places in Romania.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Pockets » Sun, 01 Jun 2014, 01:17

Those photos are great, Romania has some really beautiful countryside. I've only been there for a couple of days though, I'd like to go back and take more time seeing everything.

I've never been anywhere particularly remote. Every time I've had plans to go somewhere like that, things have cropped up and I've either had to cancel the trip or cut it short. I'm hoping to go hiking in northern Sweden at the end of June, which if it works out would count. :)

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sun, 01 Jun 2014, 02:34

Well NZ would be remote for a lot of people around the world, but from a NZer's point of view, Iceland, in particular it's eastern fjords, and the Faroe Islands would be my two. Iceland in particular caught my heart and I'd love to go back. sigur ros firmly on my playlist in helping me to remember the images of the time I spent there.

Seydisfjordur, Eastern fjords, Iceland

Milky blue Myvatn hot spring baths. Great panorama northwards.

Faroe Islands

dragos, after seeing pictures 1 & 3, I'm greatly relieved you didn't take me to the mountains last year! I think I prefer the cafes of Bucharest and the fish restaurant on the lake in the country :D

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Sun, 01 Jun 2014, 21:26

No worries, we can go next time. Since I know you enjoy driving on high mountain roads, we'll just go here:

Feroe and Iceland look amazing btw. I imagine Feroe in particular is quite isolated.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 08 Jun 2014, 03:45

Resolute Bay, Nunavut, Canada...

I took this photo flying in a helicopter above Resolute Bay Airport.

After that, the most remote places I have been are all the shitholes I have visited with the Canadian Army :)

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sun, 08 Jun 2014, 15:17

Skelmersdale. OK It's not remote - it just really, really SHOULD BE :D

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby martin.dunham » Sun, 08 Jun 2014, 19:33

Boracay, a Philippine island. Certainly not the city life I've been living.

Also went to a dude ranch in Granby, Colorado that as a young child seemed pretty remote to me, had to take a train to get there!

dragos, what's the name of that crazy, winding road?!?!? Should do the Tour de France through there!
Twitter: @BoomBoomDunham
2015 RWC Qualifier Stats

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 09 Jun 2014, 00:41

It,s transfagarasan ... it appeared on Top Gear too when they did an episode in Romania

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Mon, 09 Jun 2014, 12:50

Yep, the Transfagarasan, Top Gear named it the best driving road in the world. A Tour de France stage would be awesome. Transfagarasan already features as a stage in two lesser UCI events: the Tour of Romania and the Tour of Sibiu.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dragos03 » Thu, 12 Jun 2014, 06:46

A small update to my first post in this topic: a group of volunteers from a local hiking association have installed photovoltaic panels and three computers at the school in the isolated village of Inelet. The village itself remains without power but at least the few kids there will now have a chance to learn about the modern world. The volunteers will continue to climb to Inelet in order to teach those kids how to use the computers and Internet.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Pockets » Thu, 12 Jun 2014, 21:09

If someone asked me to carry a computer up there, I'd be begging them to let it be a laptop!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 13 Jun 2014, 09:46

Probably this will sound strange but I felt very remote in Volgograd (ex. Stalingrad).

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 13 Jun 2014, 13:03

I've been trying to think... I'd say probably somewhere in New Brunswick... There are parts of NB where you're hundreds of kilometers from any city of more than 100 people.

Glen Coe (Scotland) felt really remote, although I wasn't that far from civilisation!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sat, 14 Jun 2014, 23:23

grande wrote:I've been trying to think... I'd say probably somewhere in New Brunswick... There are parts of NB where you're hundreds of kilometers from any city of more than 100 people.

Glen Coe (Scotland) felt really remote, although I wasn't that far from civilisation!

I am from New Brunswick originally, great province! Grew up on the Northeast coast, right across from Gaspésie, Quebec. Lovely little town, about 50% French and 50% English. I speak both languages :)

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 18 Jun 2014, 04:46

I used to drive between Colorado and California a couple times a year and there are parts of Nevada and Utah with absolutely nothing for huge stretches. One of the highways even has the nickname "the world's loneliest highway". Of course, many parts of Australia are probably like that, but magnitudes more so. One thing that cracked me up while doing this drive was stopping for gas in reasonably remote and small (pop:>20,000) Elko, NV. In the gas station they had a sign updating you on the daily terror level, as if Elko would be a target of a terrorist attack.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 18 Jun 2014, 09:21

When they say terrorist, who knows they are talking about foreigners. Maybe it's full of anti-central govt people and they were talking about a mission by the feds! :lol:

dragos, I will certainly try to find the top gear programme for that road.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Thu, 26 Jun 2014, 03:32

I've been to Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory here in Canada. It was fairly spread out and awesome and animals regularly ventured downtown. It was a whole other world than visiting the big Western Canadian cities of Vancouver, Calgary and my home city Edmonton. If anyone ever has the chance I'd recommend going up to the Yukon.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby netrug1 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014, 11:46

I have been to Rapa Nui (Easter Island), the remotest inhabited island in the world, Waterboat Point on the Antarctic Peninsula and Nanortalik in Greenland.

Postby 4N » Tue, 19 Aug 2014, 16:09

netrug1 wrote:I have been to Rapa Nui (Easter Island), the remotest inhabited island in the world, Waterboat Point on the Antarctic Peninsula and Nanortalik in Greenland.

Okay, you win.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby Nikoloz » Tue, 26 Jul 2016, 10:30

Ushguli, Svaneti, Georgia.
Visited 3 times. Feels like different dimension with the centuries old towers and breathtaking surroundings.

Ushguli is the highest continuously inhabited settlement in Europe (at an altitude of 2,410 meters (7,910 ft).

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Tue, 26 Jul 2016, 16:37

I was on the island of Olkhon in Lake Baikal.

A good place that would meet a zombie apocalypse. :D

Next

Return to Other subjects