Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The other World Cup

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Re: The other World Cup

Postby Rowan » Tue, 02 Jun 2015, 21:30

Blatter announces his resignation. Sure sign of guilt from a man who just won re-election . . .
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Fri, 25 Sep 2015, 22:55

Swiss government opening a criminal inquiry against Blatter https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... p-blatter/

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Sat, 26 Sep 2015, 10:44

Platini snared as well. I was all for him, until he took Champions League completely to pay-TV with the BT deal. I think he would do the same with Euros and WC eventually. Though some of his reforms (24 team Euros, Euro 2020 played across Europe, sentiment behind FFP) I applaud, eventually they all succumb to the money.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sat, 26 Sep 2015, 22:47

If an organization is corrupt, it only stands to reason that the leadership is corrupt.

But I suspect this is nothing new. The only question is - why now? Well, ask yourselves this question: Who blew the lid on the corruption to begin with? & who is scheduled to host the next World Cup ?? :roll:

National Flag:
Vatican StateVatican State

Postby josh » Tue, 29 Sep 2015, 02:56

Rowan wrote:If an organization is corrupt, it only stands to reason that the leadership is corrupt.

But I suspect this is nothing new. The only question is - why now? Well, ask yourselves this question: Who blew the lid on the corruption to begin with? & who is scheduled to host the next World Cup ?? :roll:

Not sure what you're getting at. The lid on corruption in FIFA has been blown many times, years ago, and by many different organizations in many countries. And there have been high profile investigations even before Russia and Qatar were announced as hosts.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 29 Sep 2015, 14:26

Ok, so answer the question: Who blew the lid on the corruption this time, and who is going to host the next World Cup?

Answer that 2-part question and it becomes pretty obvious what I'm getting at, and I'm sure you'll be able to do the math and put 2 & 2 together.

National Flag:
Vatican StateVatican State

Postby josh » Tue, 29 Sep 2015, 19:50

British press in particular, but the press worldwide in general, blew the lid on it. That prompted government investigations. And the investigation this time is by the swiss government.

I know I'm being pedantic. But you're making this out to be essentially a US Russia thing, when that's tangential, or indirectly related at best. And even if that's a factor, it doesn't change the fact that the corruption was so disgusting and endemic that its appalling that it wasn't acted on years ago.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 29 Sep 2015, 21:25

:roll:

And even if that's a factor, it doesn't change the fact that the corruption was so disgusting and endemic that its appalling that it wasn't acted on years ago.

I agree. That's precisely my point. That's why I questioned the timing. . .

The FBI is investigating the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to Russia and Qatar as part of its wide-ranging crackdown on Fifa corruption, according to Reuters. http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -world-cup

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Wed, 30 Sep 2015, 13:55

One thing that does annoy me about the whole Qatar 2022 thing is the noise made by certain countries about playing in the June-July time period. As usual the European teams will get there way but how many countries play in those conditions year round but never complain. There are contingencies that can be taken to reduce the effect of the heat as anyone from hot climates can atest too. God forbid that some other teams get an advantage over the UEFA team.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Thu, 01 Oct 2015, 13:38

I think the lure of the Euro has destroyed the international game. The clubs are so powerful now they draw the best players from all over the world. This has actually helped improve the standard of many African & a few Asian teams, because they too are now professionals, but not to the extent they are able to compete with Europe. The reason for this is that, whereas certain European nations (ie Germany, Italy, Spain) are able to keep the bulk of their national squad playing within their own leagues - and mostly for the same few select teams - nations from the other continents have their players spread all over the place. & it is this lack of familiarity which is the major difference. Even in the case of Brazil, it was very rare for any of their players to be signed by overseas clubs prior to the 90s. But now they're mostly playing for European clubs, and the national team has been all but destroyed.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Mon, 19 Oct 2015, 07:57

FIFA corruption scandal appears to have moved to the awarding of the 2006 tournament to Germany. About time. The Oceania delegate voted against the wishes of his organization - with what was ultimately the decisive vote. Something very dodgy about that, but for some reason it was never given much attention . . . :roll:

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Fri, 30 Oct 2015, 20:40

Now Blatter points the finger at Platini - and Sarkozy !! :?

Suspended FIFA president Sepp Blatter has revealed UEFA President Michel Platini was behind Qatar winning the 2022 World Cup bid. The deal involves a former French president, lunch and the crown prince of Qatar.

The original plan for the 2022 World Cup was to be in the USA, but for a lunch between the crown prince and Platini.

"In 2010 we had a discussion of the World Cup and then we went to a double decision. For the World Cups it was agreed that we go to Russia [in 2018] because it's never been in Russia [or] Eastern Europe, and for 2022 we go back to America. And so we will have the World Cup in the two biggest political powers," Blatter is quoted as saying by TASS.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter addresses during the preliminary draw for the 2018 FIFA World Cup at Konstantin Palace in St. Petersburg, Russia July 25, 2015. © Stringer

The disgraced Blatter, 79, and Platini, 60, have both been suspended by FIFA's ethics committee for 90 days as an investigation into a suspicious payment takes place.

"And everything was good until the moment when [former French President Nicolas] Sarkozy came in a meeting with the crown prince of Qatar, who is now the ruler of Qatar. And at a lunch afterwards with Mr. Platini he said it would be good to go to Qatar. And this has changed all pattern," he said. "There was an election by secret ballot. Four votes from Europe went away from the USA and so the result was 14 to eight. If you put the four votes, it would have been 12 to 10. If the USA was given the World Cup, we would only speak about the wonderful World Cup 2018 in Russia and we would not speak about any problems at FIFA."

https://www.rt.com/sport/320147-blatter ... ndal-fifa/

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Mon, 07 Dec 2015, 16:17

Beckham's a rugby fan :thumbup: :shock:

He is football’s most famous ambassador, an international superstar who has devoted his life to the sport — but David Beckham has admitted that he would rather watch rugby.

The former England captain said that he loves rugby, and enjoyed watching the World Cup in England this year more than he ever enjoyed being a football spectator.

In contrast, he said that the scandal over corruption in Fifa, international football’s governing body, was a mess that will take a

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/a ... 634141.ece

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 09 Dec 2015, 09:23

Rowan wrote:FIFA corruption scandal appears to have moved to the awarding of the 2006 tournament to Germany. About time. The Oceania delegate voted against the wishes of his organization - with what was ultimately the decisive vote. Something very dodgy about that, but for some reason it was never given much attention . . . :roll:

This is very old news. It was in the NZ media at least a few years ago and the NZ media always pointed the finger at NZ's Oceania rep Charlie Dempsey. I think most NZers who are old enough to know about Charlie Dempsey probably think he is the worst NZ sports admin and what he did in 2006 was probably the most disgusting act by a NZ sports admin ever! Personally if i'd ever met him I would've been strongly tempted to do physical violence to him! :evil: I think just before he died he pretty much admitted and said he was sorry for what he'd done but i think that was only because he was shocked by the way he was savaged by the NZ press and public i.e. crocodile tears!

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 09 Dec 2015, 09:24

Rowan wrote:Now Blatter points the finger at Platini - and Sarkozy !! :?

Suspended FIFA president Sepp Blatter has revealed UEFA President Michel Platini was behind Qatar winning the 2022 World Cup bid. The deal involves a former French president, lunch and the crown prince of Qatar.

The original plan for the 2022 World Cup was to be in the USA, but for a lunch between the crown prince and Platini.

"In 2010 we had a discussion of the World Cup and then we went to a double decision. For the World Cups it was agreed that we go to Russia [in 2018] because it's never been in Russia [or] Eastern Europe, and for 2022 we go back to America. And so we will have the World Cup in the two biggest political powers," Blatter is quoted as saying by TASS.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter addresses during the preliminary draw for the 2018 FIFA World Cup at Konstantin Palace in St. Petersburg, Russia July 25, 2015. © Stringer

The disgraced Blatter, 79, and Platini, 60, have both been suspended by FIFA's ethics committee for 90 days as an investigation into a suspicious payment takes place.

"And everything was good until the moment when [former French President Nicolas] Sarkozy came in a meeting with the crown prince of Qatar, who is now the ruler of Qatar. And at a lunch afterwards with Mr. Platini he said it would be good to go to Qatar. And this has changed all pattern," he said. "There was an election by secret ballot. Four votes from Europe went away from the USA and so the result was 14 to eight. If you put the four votes, it would have been 12 to 10. If the USA was given the World Cup, we would only speak about the wonderful World Cup 2018 in Russia and we would not speak about any problems at FIFA."

https://www.rt.com/sport/320147-blatter ... ndal-fifa/

I wouldn't believe a SINGLE word that comes out of Sepp Blatter's mouth. Personally I think they should just get the stake out in the public square in Zurich and burn him! :lol:

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 09 Dec 2015, 09:28

Rowan wrote:Beckham's a rugby fan :thumbup: :shock:

He is football’s most famous ambassador, an international superstar who has devoted his life to the sport — but David Beckham has admitted that he would rather watch rugby.

The former England captain said that he loves rugby, and enjoyed watching the World Cup in England this year more than he ever enjoyed being a football spectator.

In contrast, he said that the scandal over corruption in Fifa, international football’s governing body, was a mess that will take a

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/a ... 634141.ece

Yes great news! And it should send a clear message to football admin, and fans that a football idol feels safer attending a rugby match! Of course I'm confident most football fans will take the easy way out and rubbish the man rather than listening to the message and doing something positive about it.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 05 Oct 2017, 10:36

To waste my time as usual, I checked the situation of the 20 "habitual" Rugby World Cup teams in the qualifiers of the Football World Cup

NEW ZEALAND "just" a play-off against South America’s 5th placed between the kiwis and the world cup
ENGLAND almost qualified
SOUTH AFRICA in danger, needs to win the last two matches
IRELAND battling with Wales to be the runner-up of the pool and to go to play-off (North Ireland likely runner-up too)
AUSTRALIA play-off against Syria, then eventual duel against North America’s 4th placed
SCOTLAND difficult pursuing of a runner-up placement to progress to play-off
WALES battling with Ireland to be the runner-up of its pool and to progress to play-off
FRANCE near to the qualification
FIJI eliminated
ARGENTINA in full battle for the qualification
JAPAN QUALIFIED
GEORGIA eliminated
TONGA eliminated

ITALY near to the qualification
ROMANIA eliminated
SAMOA eliminated

USA battling for the qualification
URUGUAY battling for the qualification
NAMIBIA eliminated
CANADA eliminated

From today to next tuesday there's a lot of determinant matches. Today...
Sirya-Australia
North Ireland-Germany
England-Slovenia
Scotland-Slovakia
Venezuela-Uruguay
Argentina-Peru
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/index.html

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Graf_von_Tirol » Fri, 06 Oct 2017, 00:26

And now England has outright qualified as winner of UEFA Group F. Now to see them disappoint again.

EDIT: The CONCACAF qualification makes me a bit nervous for USMNT. Sure they've only lost to Costa Rica and Mexico (though managing to tie the latter in Azteca), but they should win at least one of their remaining games. Sure both are winnable, a home date with Panama before visiting Trinidad and Tobago, but...

EDIT2: Holy crap! Iceland now in the driver's seat of UEFA Group I after a dominant 3-0 display at Turkey. With Kosovo remaining, they might even make a World Cup debut.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Graf_von_Tirol » Wed, 11 Oct 2017, 02:34

Update: America fails to qualify for the first time since 1986, after losing to Trinidad and Tobago(!) with Panama and Honduras beating Costa Rica and Mexico respectively. Seriously, wot.

Congrats to Iceland and Panama for their first ever qualification!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 12 Oct 2017, 12:56

Canalina wrote:To waste my time as usual, I checked the situation of the 20 "habitual" Rugby World Cup teams in the qualifiers of the Football World Cup

NEW ZEALAND "just" a play-off against PERU between the kiwis and the world cup
ENGLAND QUALIFIED
SOUTH AFRICA only qualify if they win the last two matches (both against Senegal).
IRELAND play-off (as is North Ireland)
AUSTRALIA play-off against HONDURAS
SCOTLAND eliminated
WALES eliminated
FRANCE QUALIFIED
FIJI eliminated
ARGENTINA QUALIFIED
JAPAN QUALIFIED
GEORGIA eliminated
TONGA eliminated

ITALY QUALIFIED
ROMANIA eliminated
SAMOA eliminated

USA eliminated
URUGUAY QUALIFIED
NAMIBIA eliminated
CANADA eliminated

Update
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby toulousain » Thu, 12 Oct 2017, 14:35

Italy isn't qualified, will play the European playoffs.

Previous

Return to Other subjects